Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Could Superman become immune to Kryptonite?

Omega-Mekix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Omega-Mekix

As we all know, a lot of people use kryptonite against Superman. But eventually, shouldn't he adapt to were the kryptonite's affects are less severe. I know that if this happened than the Man of Steel would be unstoppable but isn't this logical? 

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Martian

Superman wouldn't be unstoppable if he did.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AtPhantom

Well, several older version of Superman have become immune to kryptonite...

loveNwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By loveNwar

Kryptonite represents "the limits", it's symbolic to the fact that no matter how strong you are there's always something that will break you. I think that's good morality. Taking that away would reduce Sperman's stories to pointless tales of a guy who needs to fear nothing... not interesting at all.
    Besides, you can adapt to medical drugs.. not to radiation.

Omega-Mekix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Omega-Mekix
    @loveNwar said:
    " Kryptonite represents "the limits", it's symbolic to the fact that no matter how strong you are there's always something that will break you. I think that's good morality. Taking that away would reduce Sperman's stories to pointless tales of a guy who needs to fear nothing... not interesting at all. Besides, you can adapt to medical drugs.. not to radiation. "
    I know that there is no record of a human gaining immunity to radiation but Superman has been in constant contact with Krytonite so there is a possibility of him adapting to have a less severe reaction to the stuff.
    EditA$$a$$in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EditA$$a$$in

He became Immune to GREEN Kryptonite in All Star superman but not because he became used to the effects or anything like that it was because he absorsed so much yellow sun energy

Radiante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Radiante

Immune to radiation?  
    Well, we all are almost perfectly (almost!!!!) imunized at solar radiations.... i.e.
    DNA can evolve, can mutate, and, for natural selection, with long time and lot of generations, if a mutation is winning for a specific habitat, it will succeed. 
    In a single individual? No, it is not possible. It is not like imunizing by a virus or a bacterium. 
    In Comics? Yes, of course it is possible! :) Above all in an alien super-phisiology like that of our beloved Supes!!! 
    I would like it, maybe in a single story, to see Supes totally unstoppable and putting the big "S" on every badass would  threaten the humanity. :)    
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

He'll never become immune. But depending on the writer, Superman can withstand some absurd amounts of Kryptonite. Other times Batman can hold him off with just a ring size amount.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

KC Superman was immune to the kryptonite in the alternate universes he went to.. but idk about  regular superman ever becoming immune... if he did that wud be lame.

yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yodagod

It depends on how different his physiology is to ours, but the quick answer is no.  If it is an allergy, those actually get worse with repeated exposure. If it's radiation poisoning it actually stores in your system and gets released with subsequent exposure.  The things you get used to are usually living things you can build a resistance to i.e. bacteria, virus, venom.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3
    @Nobody said:
    "Superman wouldn't be unstoppable if he did. "
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

Superman eventually became immune to it in Kingdom Come....plus apparently kryptonians are only vulnerable to their universes kryptonite

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Phorqe

'

"Could Superman become immune to Kryptonite?" 

Yes! When he is dead. Then Superman will be immune to Kryptonite when there is six feet of dirt over him. I hope he becomes immune soon! **Crosses Fingers**
    maxgunn58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maxgunn58

@Gambler said:

He'll never become immune. But depending on the writer, Superman can withstand some absurd amounts of Kryptonite. Other times Batman can hold him off with just a ring size amount.

So true.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JonSmith

In multiple alternate futures, it's shown he's become immune to kryptonite. Given that the kryptonian body is apparently able to absorb any form of radiation and utilize it save kryptonite, it would stand to reason that he would eventually adapt to it: Perhaps foul types of radiation are treated like the kryptonian equivalent of venom, or a virus.

Kryptonians take in radiation in a slightly similar manner to you and I taking in food: They absorb it, process it, and turn it into energy for their use. When we get, say, food poisoning, our body gets sick. Sometimes, immensely so, but if we survive it, chances are that particular virus won't bother us again. We can't do the same with most forms of radiation because our bodies aren't naturally equipped to take in high doses of radiation and process it. Kryptonians are. So just like we would eventually adapt to a virus, it stands to reason that Superman would eventually adapt to green kryptonite if it's continually used against him.

But the status quo is God. So he most likely never will be made immune to kryptonite, even if it would make logical sense for him to do so.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

With enough solar absorption, he was shown to have overcome his Kryptonite weakness in the Kingdom Come series.

I don't see how this couldn't hold true in mainstream but it would never come to fruition.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunGunW

Yeah, he became immune in Kingdom Come. But even if he did become immune, keep in mind he's still highly vulnerable to magic.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stephens2177

and everybody else is too,but everyone else doesnt have a invulnerable body,godlike speed,and the power of the sun to roast anything either.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BatteredArmor

@EditA$$a$$in said:

He became Immune to GREEN Kryptonite in All Star superman but not because he became used to the effects or anything like that it was because he absorsed so much yellow sun energy

Similarly he became highly resistant to it in Kingdom Come do to years of absorbing solar radiation. He became so resistant that his enemies didn't even consider it as a weapon against him

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eternal19

that would be cool if he did. because the only reason they introduced it was because of people thinking superman was to powerful to be stopped. but in the New 52 hes not ultra powerful like he used to be so they shouldnt even need to put it there.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunGunW

@stephens2177: I'm sure there are some characters without vulnerabilities to magic...

You also forgot godlike strength

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stephens2177

and godlike strength lol.

those with magical powers would be the ones who could be immune to others magic.

superman is not overpowered in the new DCU,so why give him a kryptonite as a weakness.he has plenty of equals pr almost equals now,without a weakness like kryptonite.

and really ismt beimg powered being powered by the sun the only weakness he needs,even if its also a huge plus for him?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to go, its not even amusing anymore.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By moywar700

Kryptonite wasn't that relevant anymore in pre-52. Superman just shrugs it off.

tuananhxu99001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tuananhxu99001

well, i hope they'll make a ring which is a combination of all types of kryptonite, then superman will wear it and become immune to every kryptonite effects

or superman will become a dead man when he wears it :)

JohnIsaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well in All Star Superman Lois grew paranoid about Kal and attempted to murder him. She used a kryptonite gun she found in his fortress to attempt to murder Kal. In doing so the gun did not affect Kal because of his prior visit to help people by the sun. The radiation increased his powers and made kryptonite useless against him. Also he could lift 10 quintillion tons aka A LOT!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kingdom come he was pretty much immune to it. I forgot what luthor said

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I wish he would, the over-use of Kryptonite is a tad tiresome at times!!

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lovenwar said:

This is true given the real-world mechanics of radiation (/radiation poisoning), but DC doesn't obey that because otherwise Superman wouldn't be hurt by anything radioactive (there'd be no "but it's from his home planet" magic BS).

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

@bezza said:

I wish he would, the over-use of Kryptonite is a tad tiresome at times!!

Huh? If you're talking about the movies and the cartoons I agree, they use it all the time in those shows.

But in the comics Kryptonite rarely appears. Look up the stats and see how many times Kryptonite appears in Superman comics, they appeared like a total of 60 times out of 1000 issues, and it's even more rare in Justice League comics, in which they never appear.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lightsout

@endanger: Based on comic vine's #s**, it's 549 appearances to Superman's 9,630 (or, 5.7%)

**granted, their method includes collection or alternate-language-prints as different issues. That said, it's probably not much of a different %.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@lovenwar said:

Kryptonite represents "the limits", it's symbolic to the fact that no matter how strong you are there's always something that will break you. I think that's good morality. Taking that away would reduce Sperman's stories to pointless tales of a guy who needs to fear nothing... not interesting at all.

This.

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By NeonPheonix

In Kingdom Come he became immune to kryptonite and possibly magic from sundipping

but that also makes him physically stronger, faster, and he had a pretty good longevity thing going

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SanoHibiki

From the top of my head:

1. In All-Star Superman. After getting overload of sun energy Superman got big power up to his abilities, immunity to at least green kryptonite and condition that were slowly killing him.

2. In Kingdom Come , after living many decades on Earth under yellow sun Superman got resistance to kryptonite and boost to his overall strength, invulnerability, longevity and so on.

3. In Superman Returns he still has all his abilities while having small piece of kryptonite in his body. This indicates that he already have some resistance to kryptonite.

4. In later Smallville seasons we see Clark being able to walk and acting in presence of kryptonite, while in early seasons he nearly fainted every time he got contact with it.

5. In Pre-52 Universe in 30 century Brainiac 5 cooked for Mon-El some serum that cured him from lead poisoning – permanently. Given that Mon-El is daxamite and daxamites basically kryptonians with weakness for lead instead of kryptonite, we can safely assume that this serum can reversed to work on kryptonians and ‘cure’ them from K-vulnerability.

I wish that authors would eradicate kryptonite weakness for Supes. It always looked for me like one big not thought throw and stupid plotline. He has enough other Achilles’ heels.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If he absorbs enough yellow sun radiation I think he could because that is what happened in All Star Superman.

GIBBSINATOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest it depends on who writes the comic, if it's one of those people that like the comic where batman holds him back with a ring of kryptonite then that's just those writers that love batman and think he can take anyone. Whereas others would put him up against metallo (a robot powered by kryptonite and he would still beat them) kryptonite has always been as powerful as the writer imagines and he'll only beat it if they allow it but most of them probably won't because he'd be way too powerful and nothing could stop him. I would personally make it so that overtime the affects of kryptonite weaken against him and he becomes the all powerful superhero without weaknesses that he was meant to be. So yes he can become immune but only if the writers allow it, I certainly would... superman massacres are fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come Supes became immune, I think our Supes would be immune to it in the future.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that kryptonite weakness is stupid anyway. he can see the planet from millions of miles away. all superman has to do is just scan for it and destroy it before he even gets there.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel said:

Kingdom Come Supes became immune, I think our Supes would be immune to it in the future.

Not immune. Less vulnerable to it.

If you go back and read it once again. When Oliver Queen suggests dropping a Kryptonite bomb on Superman, Lex states that over the years Superman cells became stronger and stronger, and that by his calculations Superman was at the peak of his invulnerability. That kryptonite didn't had the kick it once had on Superman.

For example. In JSA when the Superman from that Earth came to Earth-1, he had to stop some terrorists that had used a Kryptonite bomb on the Daily Planet, Kingdom Come Superman although not weakened by kryptonite, when he tried using his enhanced senses and x-ray vision, he had trouble doing so because kryptonite was messing up his powers.

@christianrapper said:

that kryptonite weakness is stupid anyway. he can see the planet from millions of miles away. all superman has to do is just scan for it and destroy it before he even gets there.

I wouldn't say that kryptonite is a stupid weakness per se. But rather how Superman is so easily caught with his pants down is almost insulting to the character itself.

A character that can process information at speeds close to and above light speed, should be able or at least have the habit of using his enhanced senses to fully scan a area before entering in it. Even in the middle of combat if he used a fraction of his superpowered brain, he should be able to react to the kryptonite effects before they got too serious.

Also he never uses kryptonian technology to create a suit capable of giving him that edge over those weaknesses.

It's true that we've seen through H'El, All Star Superman, and other instances where Superman or another kryptonian gained immense new powers or new power levels because they were smart enough or fortunate enough to be exposed to specific types of stellar radiation, dosages or even created machines that refined and concentrated yellow solar radiation in a way that enhanced their natural abilities.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure he could, just look at H'el.

Avatar image for themultiversity
    TheMultiversity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it happening.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

If you go back and read it once again. When Oliver Queen suggests dropping a Kryptonite bomb on Superman, Lex states that over the years Superman cells became stronger and stronger, and that by his calculations Superman was at the peak of his invulnerability. That kryptonite didn't had the kick it once had on Superman.

For example. In JSA when the Superman from that Earth came to Earth-1, he had to stop some terrorists that had used a Kryptonite bomb on the Daily Planet, Kingdom Come Superman although not weakened by kryptonite, when he tried using his enhanced senses and x-ray vision, he had trouble doing so because kryptonite was messing up his powers.

said:

I wouldn't say that kryptonite is a stupid weakness per se. But rather how Superman is so easily caught with his pants down is almost insulting to the character itself.

A character that can process information at speeds close to and above light speed, should be able or at least have the habit of using his enhanced senses to fully scan a area before entering in it. Even in the middle of combat if he used a fraction of his superpowered brain, he should be able to react to the kryptonite effects before they got too serious.

Also he never uses kryptonian technology to create a suit capable of giving him that edge over those weaknesses.

It's true that we've seen through H'El, All Star Superman, and other instances where Superman or another kryptonian gained immense new powers or new power levels because they were smart enough or fortunate enough to be exposed to specific types of stellar radiation, dosages or even created machines that refined and concentrated yellow solar radiation in a way that enhanced their natural abilities.

wasn't those supermen from other universes? they can only be hurt by kryptonite from their own universe. kc superman became immune because he absorbed so much sunlight over the years. kc superman was extremely powerful. it is really dumb to me the way superman never scans for kryptonite. he might try not to move faster than light on a planet for fear of hurting the environment, but he still should be able to see kryptonite from the other side of the planet. he also never tries to destroy it. he has that lead suit that protects him, but he never wears it.

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I'm starting to suspect that it's just all in his head. When he got powered up by the fire pits in Apokolips kryptonite had no affect. When Eclipso recently said that all he did was unleash the evil inside him kryptonite again had no effect. There's been like 2 other instances I just cant remember exactly the circumstances of. But as of right now I'd call it a stretch, but it's worth noting.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is not Doomsday.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel said:

Ok, thank you. It has been a while since I read it.

TrueRandomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean yes but it will take some help too, Due to the fact it is literally common for his alien race to Vulnerable to that ya know since it's radiation BUT With some Technology and Some Chemicals I am pretty sure ha could or Simply a Spell he could BUT IF WERE NOT COUNTING THAT I GUESS He will have to be Exposed to it and Man-up

Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather he built technology for it.

Superman: Earth One factored awesome technology into it in volume two when he had a crude, transparent layer of crystalline material applied to him to prevent contact with Parasite. Zodd introduced a refine version in volume 3 that made him immune to all radiation including kryptonite. The foil to these crystalline layers was that they also prevented sunlight absorption and blocked heat vision together with other radiation. The layer was also breakable when facing high strength opponent so it's not a free anti-kryptonite solution if Supes doesn't handle business quickly or just takes too much of a pounding. Good and fair trade offs.

I thought those were great ideas. Lead suit is too mundane and bulky. And immunity is too hand-wavy and lazy. Wish more of those ideas were used in the mainstream Superman comics. Just because he has powers does not mean he should be averse to userful technology for no reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.