Could Supermam be one of the weaker superheroes?

#1 Posted by Donegal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know that Supermam is basically a battery, powered by yellow sunlight. However, our sun's rays are white until they pass through Earth's atmosphere, becoming yellow. So, Superman would only be a superman when in the presence of yellow rays of sunlight. The question then is, how long does his battery last? For instance, how long does Superman have to be a superman when not in the direct path of yellow rays of sun? Could he use synthetic rays of yellow light as a source of charging? The age old debate of Superman v Thor can now be answered, as long as Thor doesn't go into "Warriors Madness", which makes Thor the victor regardless of the circumstances. Superman has been a favorite of mine for a long time. But, one must realize his powers are extremely limited. If others would expound on any fallacies I've put forth, please do. Knowledge is only acquired through experience or after one has been wrong about something.

#2 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Except, he's not simply powered by yellow sun rays. It's this size/age of our Sun that powers him hence being able to fly to the sun or go inside of it for a power up, aka a sun dip.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually only red sunlight takes his power away, its been shown that different colored stars have different effects on Kryptonian physiology. For instance a blue sun makes him more powerful than the yellow sun.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Donegal: You kind of aren't getting Superman's powers. He can store solar energy in his cells for an extremely long period. Heck in the New 52 he bench pressed a planet for 5 days without yellow sunlight powering him. His powers are finite but in no ways limited. And Superman can beat most versions of Thor, including Thor in Warrior's Madness. That berserker mode can't account for speed blitzing.

#5 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Actually only red sunlight takes his power away, its been shown that different colored stars have different effects on Kryptonian physiology. For instance a blue sun makes him more powerful than the yellow sun.

Read as: the hotter the star is, the more powerful he becomes under said star.

#6 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is strong, not strongest but very strong

Supermam on the other-hand does seem weak

>.>

#7 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is and forever will be stronger than anything anywhere for the sole purpose that DC and fanboys can say he can win in any situation ever (well all except against batman).

The thing with superman is they have things that "give him his power, but than have all these other things that do the same incase a situation is needed) one thing I can't stand with his character. why have a character with no weakness of any kind that can't be circumvented by some "oh but I can also do this and have this to fall back on.

#8 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupremeHyperion: r u kidding supes has like the most no. of weaknesses for a being with his power. that is virtually non existent for other of his like.....Shazam accidently changing back into billy is not a weakness its stupidity other than this i haven't witnessed anything else he's weak against n MM,fire?? ok fine buts thats only one weakness and he has weakness against stronger telepaths which are rare. Superman has kryptonite,magic,red sun radiation,bad writers etc....in the case of his weaknesses he has nothing to fall back on,incase of comprimising situations fine sure he has alot to fall back on but when supes faces any of his weaknesses he's basically human.n he's only powered by the sun n probably his own will to do what he does otherwise, nothing else. n to answer the original question-

@Lvenger said:

@Donegal: You kind of aren't getting Superman's powers. He can store solar energy in his cells for an extremely long period. Heck in the New 52 he bench pressed a planet for 5 days without yellow sunlight powering him. His powers are finite but in no ways limited. And Superman can beat most versions of Thor, including Thor in Warrior's Madness. That berserker mode can't account for speed blitzing.

this pretty much sums it up.

#9 Posted by stephens2177 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

superman is the one DC hero that can be as powerful as DC wants him to be,because of all those weaknesses,other characters like flash,capt atom,and shazam are the real overpowered heroes,why,because they have very few weaknesses or ways to beat them.martiananhunter has fire,which a 10 year old could get ahold of,which makes him more defeatable,but he is still overpowered because of the number if powers he has,where superman is "considered" overpowered by how powerful his powers are.superman can have limitless power aslong as there are plenty of ways to stop him,which is how his character has always been setup.

#10 Posted by Icon (2056 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@SupremeHyperion: r u kidding supes has like the most no. of weaknesses for a being with his power. that is virtually non existent for other of his like.....Shazam accidently changing back into billy is not a weakness its stupidity other than this i haven't witnessed anything else he's weak against n MM,fire?? ok fine buts thats only one weakness and he has weakness against stronger telepaths which are rare. Superman has kryptonite,magic,red sun radiation,bad writers etc....in the case of his weaknesses he has nothing to fall back on,incase of comprimising situations fine sure he has alot to fall back on but when supes faces any of his weaknesses he's basically human.n he's only powered by the sun n probably his own will to do what he does otherwise, nothing else. n to answer the original question-

@Lvenger said:

@Donegal: You kind of aren't getting Superman's powers. He can store solar energy in his cells for an extremely long period. Heck in the New 52 he bench pressed a planet for 5 days without yellow sunlight powering him. His powers are finite but in no ways limited. And Superman can beat most versions of Thor, including Thor in Warrior's Madness. That berserker mode can't account for speed blitzing.

this pretty much sums it up.

Exactly.

@stephens2177 said:

superman is the one DC hero that can be as powerful as DC wants him to be,because of all those weaknesses,other characters like flash,capt atom,and shazam are the real overpowered heroes,why,because they have very few weaknesses or ways to beat them.martiananhunter has fire,which a 10 year old could get ahold of,which makes him more defeatable,but he is still overpowered because of the number if powers he has,where superman is "considered" overpowered by how powerful his powers are.superman can have limitless power aslong as there are plenty of ways to stop him,which is how his character has always been setup.

Yes, and this too.

It's so easy to reply to posts when I can just quote people who said all that needs to be said. x]

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupremeHyperion said:

Superman is and forever will be stronger than anything anywhere for the sole purpose that DC and fanboys can say he can win in any situation ever (well all except against batman).

The thing with superman is they have things that "give him his power, but than have all these other things that do the same incase a situation is needed) one thing I can't stand with his character. why have a character with no weakness of any kind that can't be circumvented by some "oh but I can also do this and have this to fall back on.

So we're just ignoring Darkseid, Imperiex, Superboy Prime, And the 50 or so other characters in DC proven to be far stronger and more powerful than Superman just to make it look like your point is any more accurate than the thousands of Superman haters before you have used. Not to mention the hundreds of guys who can fight him on even ground and he does have several significant weaknesses like Oh I don't know kryptonite, that thing that has become synonymous with the word weakness to people all over the world.

#12 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@SupremeHyperion said:

Superman is and forever will be stronger than anything anywhere for the sole purpose that DC and fanboys can say he can win in any situation ever (well all except against batman).

The thing with superman is they have things that "give him his power, but than have all these other things that do the same incase a situation is needed) one thing I can't stand with his character. why have a character with no weakness of any kind that can't be circumvented by some "oh but I can also do this and have this to fall back on.

So we're just ignoring Darkseid, Imperiex, Superboy Prime, And the 50 or so other characters in DC proven to be far stronger and more powerful than Superman just to make it look like your point is any more accurate than the thousands of Superman haters before you have used. Not to mention the hundreds of guys who can fight him on even ground and he does have several significant weaknesses like Oh I don't know kryptonite, that thing that has become synonymous with the word weakness to people all over the world.

Nailed it on the head. I don't know how often you hear "that's my Kryptonite" or "that sh** is like Kryptonite to me!" these days.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903: I'd respect the opinion of the Superman haters a lot more if some of them came up with a new or at least accurate argument.

#14 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903: I'm just saying you can know things about a character and still not like them, I hate Hal Jordan but you don't see me making fun of him for being weak to the color yellow, because I know that he hasn't had this weakness in damn near 30 years

#16 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't follow superman (or even DC for that matter) very much, but is Kryptonite hard to obtain? Because I don't see why every villain doesn't just walk around with a handy bag of it when they know the JL or plain old superman is coming for them.

#17 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

It's never been easy to come by to begin with. Superman pre-52 also went to great lengths to secure and lock away as much Kryptonite as possible. Some was kept in the Fortress, some kept in the Bat-cave. How obtainable it is in the New52 has yet to be seen.

#18 Posted by stephens2177 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

ok give me a flash weakness? 
a shazam weakness? 
a martian manhunter weakness?  
i ask because besides flash stopping,shazam saying his name,and jonn being around fire(which someone on another thread said jonn can morph his brain to stop that weakness),how do you stop these guys? 
superman on the other hand has about a billions of ways to be stopped,what kind of crap is that.if you want those characters to be as powerful as superman give them as many weaknesses as superman,simlle as that....but of course they wont...and at the same time they will keep saying superman is overpowered.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@stephens2177: Those characters aren't as popular as Superman so it won't make them look cool by hating on them

#20 Posted by stephens2177 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

well it sure makes the battle board zombies foam at the mouth though.they dont miss a chance to show how those characters beat superman everyday.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Supes1903: I'd respect the opinion of the Superman haters a lot more if some of them came up with a new or at least accurate argument.

I doubt they'll be able to do that any time soon :P

#22 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Beating superman is like beating god. Which makes it really damn cool when someone beats him an why batman fans cling to those wins over superman.

#23 Posted by Donegal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I was not trying to have you people foaming at the mouth. Like I asked in my post which was answered, albeit with a hint of anger, that he can store energy and obtains it from sources other than yellow sunlight. But, remember when the Hulk went toe to toe with Supes in the Almgam crossover? Supes barely won, barely. Stan Lee himself said, "How do you come up with a character stronger than the Hulk? Make him a god." and Thor was born in Marvel Comics. And Thor did battle the Frost Giants for 9 months without rest or sustenance. I'd say the most evenly matched superhero, after reading some replies which we're rather childish but entertaining and sporadically plastered with information, I'd say Thor v Superman would be a 50% to 50% fight depending on the writers, their setting/use of powers and what objective they wanted to provide. So if red sunlight is a weakness then Thor, who can track things faster than the speed of light, thus move faster than the speed of light and transport himself through time, energy projection and absorption, matter manipulation, dimensional travel, the God Blast, the Thermo-Blast and the Anti-Force. But, Supes can most likely lift his Mjonir as we all know he'd be worthy. Don't hate or fanboy it up, not meaning to ruffle feathers, just looking for info and I've found it, thanks. Anyways, June 14th 2013, can't wait. That should be an awesome movie. Wish there were more trailers other than the two teasers. Think they'll do some JLA type stuff? I know it wasn't received well but I think the Green Lantern should be the first in a set of movies leading up to a JLA movid. But, who knows? Remember, I said in my previous post that Superman is one of my favorite superheroes. So I'm not trying to start anything.

#24 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Donegal said:

I was not trying to have you people foaming at the mouth. Like I asked in my post which was answered, albeit with a hint of anger, that he can store energy and obtains it from sources other than yellow sunlight. But, remember when the Hulk went toe to toe with Supes in the Almgam crossover? Supes barely won, barely. Stan Lee himself said, "How do you come up with a character stronger than the Hulk? Make him a god." and Thor was born in Marvel Comics. And Thor did battle the Frost Giants for 9 months without rest or sustenance. I'd say the most evenly matched superhero, after reading some replies which we're rather childish but entertaining and sporadically plastered with information, I'd say Thor v Superman would be a 50% to 50% fight depending on the writers, their setting/use of powers and what objective they wanted to provide. So if red sunlight is a weakness then Thor, who can track things faster than the speed of light, thus move faster than the speed of light and transport himself through time, energy projection and absorption, matter manipulation, dimensional travel, the God Blast, the Thermo-Blast and the Anti-Force. But, Supes can most likely lift his Mjonir as we all know he'd be worthy. Don't hate or fanboy it up, not meaning to ruffle feathers, just looking for info and I've found it, thanks. Anyways, June 14th 2013, can't wait. That should be an awesome movie. Wish there were more trailers other than the two teasers. Think they'll do some JLA type stuff? I know it wasn't received well but I think the Green Lantern should be the first in a set of movies leading up to a JLA movid. But, who knows? Remember, I said in my previous post that Superman is one of my favorite superheroes. So I'm not trying to start anything.

You're the kind of person I enjoy talking to on these boards. Obviously you're not the biggest fan of Superman but you're willing to ask questions and learn. If I came off as a hot-headed fanboy, then my apologies because that's not how I like to conduct myself and I'll admit I've become jaded over the years dealing with the haters.

At the risk of sounding like I'm nit-picking, Thor can't travel through time anymore, this ability was taken away from him/Mjolnir a while back. Also, some of the other Thor feats you listed are from when he had the Odinforce and are not normal occurrences outside of that.

With that said, June 14th simply cannot come soon enough!

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Donegal: My statements about Superman haters was not directed at you or the thread just a response to another poster

#26 Posted by stephens2177 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

if superman is the most powerful being on the planet then how does he beat flash or martiananhunter? i ask because when i go on those threads they say those two would murder stomp superman,course its always wally and jonn at their most powerful who they compare to superman not at his best.im asking fellow superman fans how superman can be considerd the mlst powerful by DC when MM and flash are so powerful,who is jobbing? who is getting props? 

#27 Posted by Donegal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

After researching further we know Superman is capable of infinite strength. So is Thor. Superman can travel at the speed of light. Thor can track objects moving faster than the speed of light, he can throw Mjolnir at the speed of light and swing Mjolnir at twice the speed of light. The latter effectively allowing him to move/fly at said speeds. In conclusion, each is the most powerful being of their respective universe and a fight between the two would do nothing but destroy reality as each is capable of going the distance to do such a thing and therefore they would probably sit down at the conclusion of a 12 round draw and be like, "Dude, we fucked up. Gaea and Momma Kent are gonna be pissed!"

#28 Posted by hadrian29 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Donegal said, " But, remember when the Hulk went toe to toe with Supes in the Almgam crossover?"

You're really citing that PIS series as a reference? They had Lobo being beaten by Wolverine. Sorry...no.

#29 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, Superman would kick Thor's butt. Thor gets his butt kicked on a regular basis

#30 Posted by consolemaster001 (5348 posts) - - Show Bio

@Donegal: Supermam ? Oh, you're talking about Superman.

I highly doubt it. Supes was ment to be top dog and he still is.

#31 Posted by Donegal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

So your disagreement is supported by your feelings and not a true examination of the material presented? After learning in his very thread more about Superman in the DC universe of which nullified my original post I was able to present a valid, logically sound, void of emotion analysis and the only true answer to the question Thor vs Superman, which an indisputable draw. Just because you don't want that to be the scenario or your emotions cloud independent analytical thinking does nothing but castrate your weak at best rebuttal. Consolemaster001, Superman was meant to be top dog in his comic, which is in his universe with that universe being DC. Thor is a Marvel character, one which Stan Lee helped forge as someone stronger than the Hulk. Different worlds, very similar in level of powers and abilities. I really don't understand your inability to use sound logic void of knee jerk emotion.

#32 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is just a god like humanoid so norse gods, greek gods, new gods, etc. should be equal or more powerful than Superman. The Lanterns all seem more powerful than Superman and the Lanterns are able to operate in the whole universe.

#33 Posted by Donegal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it depends on each Universe and Agardians aren't really Gods they're worshipped by the Earth Realm as Gods but are an ascended race. Thor is especially powerful due to the fact he's an Asgardian/Elder God hybrid, like Kyprtonian physiology provides Superman with his ability to efficiently harness massive amounts of solar energy to supplement his powers. Both are just different races with powers assumed to be Godly by us regular peeps. If they existed in real life, of course.

#34 Posted by darth_omega_47 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the PIS. if you take the movie Superman into account ( Superman Returns) he has been stabbed with a piece of kryptonyte, flies towards the sun, comes back down and lifts a massive continent MADE OF KRYPTONITE into space and survives a fall back to earth. or see him literally blow away a galaxy.

#35 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I always view Superman as mid-high in the pack of superheroes according to power level. Very strong? Yes. The strongest? No, not by a longshot. So I quickly disregard most fans who complain the Supes is overpowered. It ain't true and people who say so do not read.

Now Supes doesn't really lose though. So from a storytelling perspective, he is unbeatable. I mean if you are Darkseid or something, a guy who could mop the floor with our Kryptonian hero, you can get a few shots in and certainly give off the impression that you can kill Superman at any time. But honestly, at the end of the day, your plan will be foiled and Superman will carry the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.