Could New 52 Superman lift Mjolnir?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

By now most have seen the Superman #13 preview and saw Superman lifting that giant machine for 5 days which is an impressive feat imo. My question is do you think with that strength feat in mind, could he lift Mjolnir? Hulk did it by pure strength in the animated Avengers movie not so sure in comics but he still did it. Can Superman do the same?

#2 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Superman has done it before in JLA/Avengers, but that wasn't the current New 52 version. To lift Mjolnir one has to be worthy of lifting it. You shouldn't be able to do it by sheer strength alone, at least not from everything I know about the comics (never seen the Avengers animated movie). Do I think that the New 52 version of Superman is worthy? Yes. He has a courageous heart and he cares about the less fortunate. To me, that makes him worthy of lifting Mjolnir.

#3 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

If Cap (who has killed, many many times) qualifies as worthy, Superman should easily be counted. However, like stated above strength should not be factored into this question as it's not strength related. Oh and the animated Avengers movies are not canon nor are they a good representation of the "rules" regarding Mjolnir.

#4 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7086 posts) - - Show Bio

It was never revealed on what makes one worthy, to my knowledge. So ¯\(°_o)/¯

#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity: 3 payments of 19.99

#6 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7086 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Mr_Ingenuity: 3 payments of 19.99

What do I get if I call now?

#7 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Classic DC Superman was allowed to lift it because he was actually worthy, while current DCNU Superman is a nobody and will be forgotten in a few years.

#8 Posted by TheGodofThunder (578 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: No, in JLA/Avengers it was specifically stated Odin allowed supes to wield it because of extreme circumstances. After the battle when supes tried to pick it back up, he couldn't because he was NOT worthy. This was canon, but not sure in new 52.

#9 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone:

"Classic" Superman? Turok, I know that you're aware that Superman wasn't created in 1987. That's why statements like this puzzle me. In my opinion, it was Byrne's Superman who was always the pretender. Morrison's New 52 Superman is much closer to the genuine article.

#10 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew the movie wasn't canon. Still found it pretty interesting though in the end when Hulk put the smack down on all the Avengers.

#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGodofThunder said:

@turoksonofstone: No, in JLA/Avengers it was specifically stated Odin allowed supes to wield it because of extreme circumstances. After the battle when supes tried to pick it back up, he couldn't because he was NOT worthy. This was canon, but not sure in new 52.

Superman was worthy, True. I have read the story and yes he had the Hammer/Cap Shield combo just at the end there. It was DC Cannon. No longer though.

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@turoksonofstone:

"Classic" Superman? Turok, I know that you're aware that Superman wasn't created in 1987. That's why statements like this puzzle me. In my opinion, it was Byrne's Superman who was always the pretender. Morrison's New 52 Superman is much closer to the genuine article.

Any and all versions previous to DCNU are "Classic" IMO, though there were several versions they were all revamps of the original concept and only had minor variations. DCNU Superman is essentially a different character. Byrne's Superman more closely resembled the golden and silver age versions in costume, character, and concept.

#12 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@turoksonofstone:

Any and all versions previous to DCNU are "Classic" IMO, though there were several versions they were all revamps of the original concept and only had minor variations. DCNU Superman is essentially a different character. Byrne's Superman more closely resembled the golden and silver age versions in costume, character, and concept.

I completely disagree. Byrne made serious changes to Superman's character from the man who existed Pre-Crisis. First off, he allowed Ma and Pa Kent to live into Superman's adulthood which no previous version had. He also made Superman land in a "birthing matrix" so technically Superman could be born on Earth as an American. Byrne's Superman also feared and felt self-conscious about his Kryptonian heritage whereas all previous versions revered their alien roots. He was also pretty self-deprecating compared to the blatant egotism Superman used to show.

The New 52's version is much closer to the Pre-Crisis version in personality. He has tremendous self-belief as evidenced by his willingness to trust in his blind reactions to defeat Captain Comet. He has bold plans to try and solve the world's problems just like how the Pre-Crisis Superman was obsessed with ending crime for good. His development and childhood is much closer to Pre-Crisis than Byrne' who only gained his powers when he was a teenager and never joined the Legion of Superheroes as a boy. Morrison's Superman is a leftist, social crusader just like the Golden Age version. He's also not as attached to the Clark Kent identity as the Post-Crisis Superman was.

I'll give you the fact that his costume is a lot different. That's about it. In my opinion, the New 52 Superman is the return of Superman from all the Post-Crisis mistakes.

#13 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be I dont see any reason why not

#14 Posted by TheGodofThunder (578 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@TheGodofThunder said:

Superman was worthy, True. I have read the story and yes he had the Hammer/Cap Shield combo just at the end there. It was DC Cannon. No longer though.

I don't know if that was a typo saying he was worthy.

#15 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@turoksonofstone:

I completely disagree. Byrne made serious changes to Superman's character from the man who existed Pre-Crisis. First off, he allowed Ma and Pa Kent to live into Superman's adulthood which no previous version had. He also made Superman land in a "birthing matrix" so technically Superman could be born on Earth as an American. Byrne's Superman also feared and felt self-conscious about his Kryptonian heritage whereas all previous versions revered their alien roots. He was also pretty self-deprecating compared to the blatant egotism Superman used to show.

The New 52's version is much closer to the Pre-Crisis version in personality. He has tremendous self-belief as evidenced by his willingness to trust in his blind reactions to defeat Captain Comet. He has bold plans to try and solve the world's problems just like how the Pre-Crisis Superman was obsessed with ending crime for good. His development and childhood is much closer to Pre-Crisis than Byrne' who only gained his powers when he was a teenager and never joined the Legion of Superheroes as a boy. Morrison's Superman is a leftist, social crusader just like the Golden Age version. He's also not as attached to the Clark Kent identity as the Post-Crisis Superman was.

I'll give you the fact that his costume is a lot different. That's about it. In my opinion, the New 52 Superman is the return of Superman from all the Post-Crisis mistakes.

You seem to have a fine grasp of the character. The DCNU version of Superman and the DCNU for that matter are a fail safe against the loss of Superman next year. Previous revamps were done for various reasons and none of the previous were as dramatic. The changes made for DCNU were out of necessity...The Costume is the most Iconic in all of comics and it being changed is enough for me to personally dislike it. I consider any Superman comic that has the original costume to be "classic" this new stuff is about a character I don't personally care to read. Your own opinions are fine just different. If and when "red underwear Superman " returns I will have a look.@TheGodofThunder said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@TheGodofThunder said:

I don't know if that was a typo saying he was worthy.

He was allowed to lift it and wield it, the enchantment is Odin's own. Therefore he was worthy to wield it. Afterward not so much.

#16 Posted by The Stegman (22741 posts) - - Show Bio
Sure he can 
#17 Posted by Supermansito (196 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903 said:

If Cap (who has killed, many many times) qualifies as worthy, Superman should easily be counted. However, like stated above strength should not be factored into this question as it's not strength related. Oh and the animated Avengers movies are not canon nor are they a good representation of the "rules" regarding Mjolnir.

#18 Posted by Dernman (14611 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has killed countless times I really don't think killing has anything to do with being worthy.

#19 Posted by Axis (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Superman only wielded Mjolnir because Thor was getting beaten down and couldn't hold on any longer, so he threw it to Supes (ONCE again, let's make this clear - he wasn't worthy); yet he had the shield because Cap gave it to him and wasn't participating in battle.

#20 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Axis: Thor basically says he was worthy enough to overcome the spell no?

#21 Edited by Mr_Winchester (700 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's reluctancy to kill should remove all if any, privlages for lifting Mjolnr. It means he isnt willing to kill his foe to save innocents. Whereas Thor would go to such lengths if at all required.

#22 Posted by 80sBaby (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Strength has NOTHING to do with it. In JLA/Avengers, it was specifically stated/shown the only reason Superman could lift it was due t the circumstances. The fact that Clark isn't willing to kill is a strike against him, actually. Remember, we're talking about "worth" from an Asgardian pespective. Killing would be applauded.

#23 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

Inaccurate.

New 52 supes is so much closer to GA supes than John Bryne's version.

#24 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

in time DC will make it to where superman will be able to bench press reality infinite times while eating taco's no-handed. Any crossover feats are garbage and were only thrown in so that either Marvel or DC wouldn't feel slighted. Superman is cool and the only reason he lifted the hammer in the crossover was because for that moment like thor said it saw him as worthy.

if any superman should be able to do it it would be cyborg superman as apparently androids can lift it? (example Airwalker back in the day)

Although a Marvel analog of superman (Hyperion) in the ultimate universe did in fact take the hammer from him and hit him with it.

#25 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (877 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@Axis: Thor basically says he was worthy enough to overcome the spell no?

Is that Superman and He-Man?

#26 Posted by Lvenger (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

@G_Money_Christmas: No it's Superman and Thor from JLA / Avengers #4.

And New 52 Superman doesn't have the impression of being able to lift Mjolnir yet. Post Crisis Superman could definitely do it though.

#27 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

And New 52 Superman doesn't have the impression of being able to lift Mjolnir yet. Post Crisis Superman could definitely do it though.

This.

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Inaccurate.

Not entirely true, the younger depiction in Action Comics would easily represent this yes, but I'd have to disagree when regarding his current appearance as shown in Superman and Justice League.

#29 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone:

I miss the red underwear look too...

Also, I'll have to add that Superman lifted the DC Universe's version of Mjolinir in Action Comics #761 an used it in a number of battles. Not quite the same thing, I know, but I think it's good enough to be used as further proof. Honestly, how could Superman not be worthy? He's Superman.

#30 Posted by BlackWind (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't a warrior's spirit also necessary to lift the hammer? If so, I dunno if Supes has what it takes.@80sBaby said:

Strength has NOTHING to do with it. In JLA/Avengers, it was specifically stated/shown the only reason Superman could lift it was due t the circumstances. The fact that Clark isn't willing to kill is a strike against him, actually. Remember, we're talking about "worth" from an Asgardian pespective. Killing would be applauded.

That sounds right, since Asgardians value martial prowess over boy scout ideals like Superman's.

#31 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@turoksonofstone said:

Inaccurate.

Meh, just your opinion.

Superman is among the Worthy IMO, any Marvel/DC fan with moderate knowledge of his character would agree.

#32 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

Well, Superman has done it before in JLA/Avengers, but that wasn't the current New 52 version. To lift Mjolnir one has to be worthy of lifting it. You shouldn't be able to do it by sheer strength alone, at least not from everything I know about the comics (never seen the Avengers animated movie). Do I think that the New 52 version of Superman is worthy? Yes. He has a courageous heart and he cares about the less fortunate. To me, that makes him worthy of lifting Mjolnir.

@Supes1903 said:

You got it all wrong, being willing to kill is necessary in order to lift Mjolnir, but only if their death serves higher and noble purposes.

#33 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@Supes1903 said:

You got it all wrong, being willing to kill is necessary in order to lift Mjolnir, but only if their death serves higher and noble purposes.

And can I get some evidence or at least an issue number to back this up? When did they establish that you must be willing to kill?

#34 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (877 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic is used with Mjolnir. It's not so much that it weighs a lot, it's just that you have to be worthy to lift it. Except for what was mentioned above, I think if anything, he would rip a chunk out of the Earth while holding onto it before lifting it itself.

#35 Posted by 80sBaby (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: It's never been explicitly stated what equals "worth." But, if we look at who's been able to lift it (Captain America, Wonder Woman, BRB, etc) as well as those unable to lift it (Superman, Thing, etc.) then we can come up with a frame of reference to work with. Also, it's Asgardian sense of "worthiness" not current Western thinking. Superman's not worthy but that's not an attack on his character.

#36 Posted by Squalleon (4041 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

U for that matter are a fail safe against the loss of Superman next year. Previous revamps were done for various reasons and none of the previous were as dramatic. The changes made for DCNU were out of necessity...The Costume is the most Iconic in all of comics and it being changed is enough for me to personally dislike it. I consider any Superman comic that has the original costume to be "classic" this new stuff is about a character I don't personally care to read. Your own opinions are fine just different. If and when "red underwear Superman " returns I will have a look.@TheGodofThunder said:

So you don't hate the character you hate the costume changes....interesting....in that case we have to return to the real superman the one with the simple emblem shield of the GA and why bother take suggestions from the fans that are constantly saying how stupid looks the red underwear!

I imagine you didn't like red son because supes isn't wearing his "Classic" suit.

Please,costumes come and go,good stories no!So enjoy the great AC run and the new 52 for making superman "classic" again in a meaningfull way!

#37 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@turoksonofstone said:

U for that matter are a fail safe against the loss of Superman next year. Previous revamps were done for various reasons and none of the previous were as dramatic. The changes made for DCNU were out of necessity...The Costume is the most Iconic in all of comics and it being changed is enough for me to personally dislike it. I consider any Superman comic that has the original costume to be "classic" this new stuff is about a character I don't personally care to read. Your own opinions are fine just different. If and when "red underwear Superman " returns I will have a look.@TheGodofThunder said:

So you don't hate the character you hate the costume changes....interesting....in that case we have to return to the real superman the one with the simple emblem shield of the GA and why bother take suggestions from the fans that are constantly saying how stupid looks the red underwear!

I imagine you didn't like red son because supes isn't wearing his "Classic" suit.

Please,costumes come and go,good stories no!So enjoy the great AC run and the new 52 for making superman "classic" again in a meaningfull way!

sure.

#38 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

It really depends on what being worthy means to the enchantment, I would think so. Superman holds life above all else after all so I would be shocked if he wasn't worthy (to that end, who would be if he wasn't)

#39 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I once heard the Hulk could lift it like an inch up for a bit. Considering how I'm doubting the Hulk can bench press the earth 5 days straight I'm sure Superman can do it.

#40 Posted by Seafarinhare (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman would be able to pick up Thor's hammer, but only when plot demands. Which we probably won't see for a while, if ever again.

#41 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps being 'worthy' in Odin's eyes is not someone who doesn't kill, but someone who knows when is the right time to kill and make sacrifices. I think Superman has a lot of doubt within himself whether what he's doing is right, whereas Thor is a born leader and warrior.

#42 Posted by Strike3 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Thor said a few were "allowed" to overcome the spell, meaning Odin gave the ok. Since Thor was busy fight Amazo etc., and Supes was the only free hero not busy.

#43 Edited by Strike3 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@PlasticBag: No. If Mjolnir can quickly absorb/transport incoming energies attacks to another space or dimension, it could do the same with kinetic energy/friction used against it.

#44 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@PlasticBag: @PlasticBag said:

By now most have seen the Superman #13 preview and saw Superman lifting that giant machine for 5 days which is an impressive feat imo. My question is do you think with that strength feat in mind, could he lift Mjolnir? Hulk did it by pure strength in the animated Avengers movie not so sure in comics but he still did it. Can Superman do the same?

Nope, that feat was utterly PIS, and it wasnt cannon was it? NO one should be able to lift mjolnir by pure strength, unless they have greater power than Odin. On another hand, my personal opinion is that Superman can always lift Mjolnir because if Beta Ray Bill and Capt America is worthy then Superman is aswell!

#45 Posted by Strike3 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: I think it does. Both Wonder Woman and Beta Ray Bill would have decided earlier on vs Doomsday, that all-out deadly force, was what was going to save lives in Metropolis. Where it took Supes a couple issues, that getting deadly was what he had to do.

#46 Edited by Quasilogicman (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that the new 52 Superman can lift classic marvel Thor's Hammer with the enchantment. Here is why.

Very few are the worthy to lift the hammer. Beta Ray Bill and Captain America are the only 2 non Asgardians to lift the hammer with the "worthy" enchantment fully intact. Buri (Thor's grandfather) and Odin (Thor's father) don't count because one is the maker and the other is the father of the maker and they are asgardian. Although the hammer doesn't differentiate race, color or creed, the enchantment simply states that you have to be worthy. Thor has stated that Hercules is worthy to lift Mjolnir but Hercules has just not tried. The new 52, as of yet I do not feel as though is worthy to lift mjolnir. I think that both Golden and Silver age and Bronze age Superman are all worthy to wield mjolnir because of the extensive experiences, inherent goodness of spirit, position of character and most importantly their moral aptitude would position all of them to work within the enchantment to wield the mighty hammer. I don't think that the new 52 superman has the wealth of experience that the others have, ergo, at this time I don't think that he could wield the hammer. I think that the only other person who could possible lift and wield it would be Wonder Woman. That would be an explanation within itself.

#47 Posted by PowerWoman (3325 posts) - - Show Bio

superman not need lift this,he beat thor

#48 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Superman is the American Mythology of Apollo the Sun God, Thor is the god of Thunder. Sun totally trumps Thunder. Not even close.

#49 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

like people are saying here its not really a feat of strength since mjolnir is enchanted to only be lifted by someone worthy and not just cause it weighs alot,so in that respect imo superman is absolutely worthy!!

#50 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Yes, Superman is the American Mythology of Apollo the Sun God, Thor is the god of Thunder. Sun totally trumps Thunder. Not even close.

I thought he was closer to a blend between a Moses and a Christ figure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.