Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Could Metahumans Be Kryptonian Descendants?

Mr24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

This question came to me when I saw the new Man of Steel movie. There was a scene in the movie that talked about Kryptonians being on earth 20,000 year ago. At 1st I was like this is stupid, but then I thought about it and figured actually that would make since. If DC wanted to go there if they haven't already. They could suggest that Kryptoians are the reason why metahumans like The Flash, exist.

Think about it, Kryptonians came to earth and mated with some of the 1st humans. This caused a change in DNA that added the potential for a Meta Gene to exist. Going further you can say that the Meta gene being activated by different methods caused alternate powers. Basically because of how the flashes power were activated, instead of receiving all the powers of a Kryptonians he just got one, "SPEED."

Well it's just a theory. I'd like to hear some of you Superman pros speak on this subject. What are your thoughts on this?

SuperEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well according to the precuel comic, Kara Zor-El crash landed on earth 20.000 years prior to the MoS. So Kara might be the common ancestor to the metahumans you are talking about. Though I prefer the flash has the same origin in comics, than having a kryptonien heritage

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

No... That's not how things work v.v

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's just silly

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I thought you meant in the comics. Gonna say White Martians changed the human race so only a few would evolve powers. So they would not all end up with power level such as the Kryptonians.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the stories ive read had an explanation on how they got their powers. Which I prefer makes them all different. Your idea is a different take though, interesting reminds me of that what if story where all the men died out except superman and he had to repopulate the earth.

Mr24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr24

Yeah, The point is to say that it would be an interesting story arch. Doesn't change the hero. Basically imagine if it was suggested that greek myths of Gods were actually Kryptonians. Hercules being one of the 1st half human, half Krytonian but mankind saw them all as godlike. Would explain wonder woman.

Mr24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr24

@supreme_marvel: Remember this would be 20,000 years for gene work. Plus like I mention Greek Mythology would be a good example of how the story arch would work.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mr24: White Martians were around then.

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TJSH96

No.

AndresDGarcia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndresDGarcia

Totally think you are on to something here. Jor-El's line 'he'll be a god to them' hints at that too. They also built in a reason why they, especially the native Kryptonians, would leave. The sensory powers are uncomfortable. Maybe most left before the full cool range of powers developed (flight). But, if they mated while here, those hybrids would have less incentive to go back to Krypton (a world they never knew) or maybe the hybrids were shunned. The hybrids then became the basis of ancient mythology. Love ur idea and I'd bet money the amazons and atlanteans will be hybrids.

AndresDGarcia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The other nugget is, why did the kryptonians harvest their core? I believe it was said that they drained their energy resources...Were they attacked? The outposts certainly looked as though they had been (corpses holding guns). It'd be awesome if they had held off Darkseid.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a rumour before MoS came out that the Amazons were Kryptonian decendants; I suppose that is possible. I'd rather not all other metas be Kryptonian, too.

@andresdgarcia: The only Kryptonian to survive the journey was Kara Zor-El. And Earth wasn't even their original destination; that stowaway guy changed the course then killed all the crew other than Kara.

They harvested their core as a power source. No reason was given as to why they stopped their interstellar colonization project. Perhaps they were dangerously low on the fuel that powered the phantom drives, so they gave up on expansion. No reason was given for the failures of the colonies, either.

Doctor_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would totally work in the movie-verse. Kryptonians completely assimilated in the human race, but there's a dormant meta-gene. Barry Allen activates his thanks to the accident, and go from there.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Flash isn't a metahuman... also... no....

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could explain Wonder woman and the olympus.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#17  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

It's possible but I'd rather it not be the case

@joygirl: he isn't?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Science + Lightning bolt = Flash. Same way with both Barry and Wally.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I don't get how that doesn't make him a metahuman.........

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Metahuman, to my knowledge, is an actual genetic difference that you have from birth. Example: Black Alice = Metahuman. Superman = Alien. Flash = Science hero. He's as little of a metahuman as Wonder Woman is.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: le site disagrees: http://www.comicvine.com/metahuman/4015-55705/

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: That's stupid. "Being metahuman involves a special gene bla bla bla but oh hey, if you have a neat ring or staff, welcome to the club". I'm just gonna ignore that because it doesn't make any sense.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: no Hun. That's a mutant. A metahuman is pretty much anyone who gains power (barring specific magic and external tech users)

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: metahgenes can activated via external means. An example that's comes to mind is elongated man

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: But it specifically describes it as being like a mutant, and DC has plenty of them (Black Alice, Black Canary, Misfit). You can't be a metahuman if you AREN'T EVEN HUMAN such as say, Lobo, who is quite clearly a czarnian and not human at all. CV (and wiki as well) quite clearly explain exactly what a metagene is and how it works. Just because some idiot tacked on some nonsense to a user-edited site doesn't mean it makes sense or is true. I stand by Flash not being metahuman.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: When Hal put his ring on did it activate a metagene? Answer: NOOOOO that's why he's an item-based hero, not a metahuman.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: we aren't talking about Hal are we? We're talking about Barry.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: We're talking about metahuman being a blanket term, and according to the wiki YOU linked, Hal falls under the category as well. And we both know damn well that when he takes that ring off he can't do anything except fly a plane really well.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I never brought Lobo into it. I understand the difference between aliens and metahumans. I'm talking about the flash who speciffically fits the parameters if a metahuman. Their are plenty of metahumans who had their metagenes activated via external mean (the aforementioned Black Canary included).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: You used a source to back up your claim with obviously bad information. And yes, metagenes can be activated; as you said, Elongated Man shows this. But that was never the case with Flash. The experiment gave him the powers, and the same experiment gave Wally the exact same powers, no metagene required. It's a legacy power connected to the speed force, it doesn't have anything to do with the activation of a special type of genetic. Flash is as not-a-metahuman as Hal (a human with a ring) and Lobo (a czarnian) are, because his genetic makeup is not involved. He's a human with a connection to the Speed Force.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: my apologies, for postin an inaccurate link. I maintain my position of the Flash either way

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Joygirl
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: does actually care about how many posts they leave? Lol

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Lobo isn't a me thumb he is an alien and Hal is a guy with a magic ring not a meta human

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: she understands that, she was making a point

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: @avenging_x_bolt:

This topic (what is a "True Metahuman") came up a little while ago in the Mutants vs DC Meta-humans thread. I'll simply repeat what I said there in the hopes that clarity is the outcome:

You're both right actually. Humans in the DCU born with a Metagene are "true" Metahumans. Aquaman, Black Canary, and Jesse Quick as just a few examples. World governments, Espionage agencies (like the D.E.O. & Checkmate), and media outlets often use the term "Meta" as a blanket description to describe any super-powered being operating on Earth, with or without a pronounced Metagene.

Hope this helped.;P

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heraldofganthet: it would've if you had stated it a bit earlier lol thanks for the thought though.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heraldofganthet: That works. But for the specific purposes of this thread my point still stands. Flash is not a genetic metahuman and therefore his powers should not be influenced by kryptonian ancestry.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt:

it would've if you had stated it a bit earlier lol thanks for the thought though.

Yeah. But in my defense, I had just logged on before I found this thread! Glad I could help (lol)!

@joygirl: No argument there. It's just that a lot of people (especially those who are primarily Marvel fans) get confused by the actual classification of Metahuman (which you've accurately explained, by the way;), and the blanket i.e. generic term "Meta" used by those in the DCU media, and governmental agencies as a catch-all to describe what's out of the ordinary.

On the bright side though, at least (among the Flash family) Impulse and XS are "true" Metahumans (*teeheehee)!

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RelloMan
    segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kryptonians Don't really have a metagene so this doesn't really work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.