Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Convergence: Superman #1 Preview

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

Whilst this is only temporary and all part of a rather messy alternate DCU sandbox meetings, I can't deny the nostalgia and familiarity of this preview. It's like seeing an old friend again and I've missed a Superman written the way he is in this preview.

Source: USA Today

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Interesante

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I almost forgot you're Mexican for a moment hence why you'd use Spanish words in your posts. Also this is the Pre New 52 Superman, you know, the one you think has a stick up his butt and don't really like compared to the New 52 Supes. Why are you interested?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard: I almost forgot you're Mexican for a moment hence why you'd use Spanish words in your posts. Also this is the Pre New 52 Superman, you know, the one you think has a stick up his butt and don't really like compared to the New 52 Supes. Why are you interested?

And this series probably won't rob me of that. But I am curious and will be getting like 30 Convergence titles. I got all Super family related titles. I'm most interested in the Superboy one

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

And this series probably won't rob me of that. But I am curious and will be getting like 30 Convergence titles. I got all Super family related titles. I'm most interested in the Superboy one

Typical, nothing really changes it seems. Figured you wouldn't see why I'm so excited to see this version of Superman back and married with Lois expecting a baby. Well I do agree that the Superboy two parter with Kingdom Come Superman will be cool though I can't see how it's a fair fight.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By micah007123

I'm waiting on Kingdom Come to lock horns with Superboy.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks super

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

I'm waiting on Kingdom Come to lock horns with Superboy.

Right? That cover art looks beast

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: they say every time you make a bad pun, Chuck Norris punches a poor vietnamese baby in the face

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: On the subject of that I feel the first one is descriptive of how the encounter will go XD.

The second one is awesome, such a great throwback!!!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Damn. It looks good. I am kinda regretting not picking it up. Oh well, I can always pick it up later if it good.

Jurgens is very meh and while it is a name that has left a mark on Superman, I really haven't seen anything mind-blowing by him, so I am cautious.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@squalleon: go digital. Digital comics are good for the soul.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I can't do the Super-Kid.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: go digital. Digital comics are good for the soul.

I am not a fan of Digital. Usually because you lack the ability to read your comics offline or the site is closed. But also because I am a traditionalist, nothing beats a good full ordered bookcase.

There is also a good blog here on the vine(search community showcase) about the small letters in the contract of agreement in most digital comics sites.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: the DC app can't be closed.

Once you own it, you own it (in a matter of speaking). You can read it once you downloaded it, even without Wi-Fi

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks pretty interesting. Though I will wait until I buy it.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read it the intresting part is which universe heroes supes gotta face

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Finally! A DC comic worth buying.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: no need to go that far meng there are plenty of good dc comics.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

every single convergence title has been amazing.

batgirl might have been the best one

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HolySerpent

I enjoy this issue

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umhm

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@squalleon: Really? IMHO he is one of the best writers to every grace his history and defined his look along with Curt Swan and John Byrne.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Really? IMHO he is one of the best writers to every grace his history and defined his look along with Curt Swan and John Byrne.

Hehe, hyperbole but its okay,lets agree to disagree. Personally, I think he is around in the middle. With some hits but mostly misses. Its not that he is bad, but he is never groundbreaking or great. He is just good or pretty dated.

Its a shame that people remember him from the 90s and not Stern or Ordway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I understand your point but I respectfully disagree (we disagree on alpt of things gosh darnit we should find something we agree on). He was voted the 4 greatest Superman writer and is generally put in the top 10 best contributions to his mythos.

Stern was fantastic but Ordway was decent at best.

I view it as Morrison, Johns, Loeb, Byrne, Jurgens, Kelly, Stern, Maggin, Binder and Siegel as the 10 stamps on Superman's mythos.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I understand your point but I respectfully disagree (we disagree on alpt of things gosh darnit we should find something we agree on). He was voted the 4 greatest Superman writer and is generally put in the top 10 best contributions to his mythos.

Stern was fantastic but Ordway was decent at best.

I view it as Morrison, Johns, Loeb, Byrne, Jurgens, Kelly, Stern, Maggin, Binder and Siegel as the 10 stamps on Superman's mythos.

Only because of the Death of Superman or his art but not because of his writing talent. And DoS wasn't his idea or decision. People remember him as the guy who killed Superman even today. And yet, DoS is mediocre. Its just a big fistfight, lacking elements that could have made it great. So many stories have done Supes death better.

If it wasn't for DoS he wouldn't even be near top 10.

Agreed, the list is perfect, but I wouldn't put it in that order. Also I would add Millar for Superman Red Son and Adventures.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I enjoyed DOS but Funeral for a Freind was the shining point of that Trilogy. I respectfully disagree if he was so unsuccessful they wouldn't habe kept him on the book so long and leave him coming back time and time again.

Millar is great as is Busiek, Rucka, Simonson (Louis not Walter) and Pak and I would place them as honerable mentions.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I enjoyed DOS but Funeral for a Freind was the shining point of that Trilogy. I respectfully disagree if he was so unsuccessful they wouldn't habe kept him on the book so long and leave him coming back time and time again.

Millar is great as is Busiek, Rucka, Simonson (Louis not Walter) and Pak and I would place them as honerable mentions.

FfaF was a collaborative effort with Stern and Ordway that's why it is better.

Allow me to disagree. He stayed in the 90s because he was an okay writer for his time and because DC had a no A-list writers on popular characters policy until the mid-00s (its true, I am not kidding). The reason he constantly returns to Superman is firstly because he is a loyal DC writer, meaning he will do any fill in job DC wants him too. And more importantly because he is known as the writer who killed Superman. And that's how DC markets him, always and in everything he does Superman related or not (look at Didio's video about Convergence for the most recent of examples). He is a sure pick up, because his name is a synonimous with one of DC's biggest sellers despite its quality. Its like bringing Miller back for a Batman book(the only difference being the quality of the original book that generated the hype, but Jurgens has an historical advantage over Miller because...he is the guy who killed Superman!), despite its quality it will sell, why? Because it is Miller and Batman. TDKSB was awful yet sold like hot-cakes.

The first half of Busiek's run, Up Up and Away, Back in Action, Camelot Falls was magnificent. The rest was so bad. I remember some issues from the Queen Bee story line...*dread*. Pak is overhyped. Sorry but its true. Its too early to tell because his run is still going and people have it fresh in their minds. But Pak's run has many faults imo, from dropped plots, plot-holes,returning elements that don't work for a character like Superman and cliches. And it still hasn't generated anything mind-blowing for me. Recent example issue 40 of AC, I wonder how an issue like that, so sloppy could get so high ratings. The best arc is still the first. Horrorville was filler and the Doomed issues were forgettable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: As was DOS. Not really sonce the Batman had.a fantastic lineup of writers. Its natural for them to market him as such. They always market writers for what they are nost famous for its pretty normal.

I enjoyed his entire run but I do agree it was weaker after camelot falls (you forgot Secret Identity). Im not going to continue this arguement as its been done to death. Hes done a total of 53 issues. Thats not a small run and the characterization has been spot on and he has pretty much been the only consistent New 52 Superman writer since Morrison. Horrorville was great, His issues of Doomed were great (save for the Annual), #40 was fantastic. Critics and most fans seem to disagree with you man. If you look at his run its arguably the definitive New 52 Supes as Johns was for the Pre 52 and Maggin was for Pre Crisis but Morrison is for everything as he incorporates all of the history and continuity in his work.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: As was DOS. Not really sonce the Batman had.a fantastic lineup of writers. Its natural for them to market him as such. They always market writers for what they are nost famous for its pretty normal.

I enjoyed his entire run but I do agree it was weaker after camelot falls (you forgot Secret Identity). Im not going to continue this arguement as its been done to death. Hes done a total of 53 issues. Thats not a small run and the characterization has been spot on and he has pretty much been the only consistent New 52 Superman writer since Morrison. Horrorville was great, His issues of Doomed were great (save for the Annual), #40 was fantastic. Critics and most fans seem to disagree with you man. If you look at his run its arguably the definitive New 52 Supes as Johns was for the Pre 52 and Maggin was for Pre Crisis but Morrison is for everything as he incorporates all of the history and continuity in his work.

I don't get your first argument. What are you exactly talking about?

But Jurgens they market him only for that. Plus every Superman related story he has returned to after his run was meh or bad. He really isn't that good.

True. How could I.

You say you don't but you do :P What? How many? I guess a typo.

True he is consistent.

Horrorville started and ended badly. It started with a plot it never moved forward, it was out of character when it comes to Superman and it ended in a way that no way fits Superman character.

Not really, it only gets so praised on Comicvine. In reviewing sites like Goodreads, Action vol.5. featuring issues 25-29 has a 3.5/5(thats how much I would rate it too). And that imo was Pak at his best yet.

See hyperbole. I don't see what definitive Pak has done(also I disagree Johns did the definitive Pre-52 run, since that era has so many important twists and turns, reboots and revamps). If anything Morrison defined and created everything about New 52 Supes.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Hehe, hyperbole but its okay,lets agree to disagree. Personally, I think he is around in the middle. With some hits but mostly misses. Its not that he is bad, but he is never groundbreaking or great. He is just good or pretty dated.

DOS is the answer. He penned one of the biggest Superman comics ever in terms of exposure and popularity.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon said:

DOS is the answer. He penned one of the biggest Superman comics ever in terms of exposure and popularity.

I know and I agree. This is the disagreement I currently have with Theincreadiblesuperhulk.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allow me to disagree. He stayed in the 90s because he was an okay writer for his time and because DC had a no A-list writers on popular characters policy until the mid-00s (its true, I am not kidding). The reason he constantly returns to Superman is firstly because he is a loyal DC writer, meaning he will do any fill in job DC wants him too. And more importantly because he is known as the writer who killed Superman. And that's how DC markets him, always and in everything he does Superman related or not (look at Didio's video about Convergence for the most recent of examples). He is a sure pick up, because his name is a synonimous with one of DC's biggest sellers despite its quality. Its like bringing Miller back for a Batman book(the only difference being the quality of the original book that generated the hype, but Jurgens has an historical advantage over Miller because...he is the guy who killed Superman!), despite its quality it will sell, why? Because it is Miller and Batman. TDKSB was awful yet sold like hot-cakes.

The first half of Busiek's run, Up Up and Away, Back in Action, Camelot Falls was magnificent. The rest was so bad. I remember some issues from the Queen Bee story line...*dread*. Pak is overhyped. Sorry but its true. Its too early to tell because his run is still going and people have it fresh in their minds. But Pak's run has many faults imo, from dropped plots, plot-holes,returning elements that don't work for a character like Superman and cliches. And it still hasn't generated anything mind-blowing for me. Recent example issue 40 of AC, I wonder how an issue like that, so sloppy could get so high ratings. The best arc is still the first. Horrorville was filler and the Doomed issues were forgettable.

A million times YES. Camelot falls is like an endlessly superior Unchained. That first issue was lame but the rest ws fantastic...aside from relegating Lana Lang to being a jolted lover.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

"I would add Millar for Superman Red Son and Adventures."

Red Son was fantastic but it was non canon and short, though he told the story well. He was only on AoS for 4 issues so I disagree with putting him on that list just for having too small a sample of Superman work.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon said:

A million times YES. Camelot falls is like an endlessly superior Unchained. That first issue was lame but the rest ws fantastic...aside from relegating Lana Lang to being a jolted lover.

That was what Lana was always though. New 52 she is just a copy of Lois, tomboy, adventurer, daring, reckless(thats why I like her though :P). People don't want to admit that. Especially the fans that "hate" Lois, creating a very interesting irony that makes you wonder do some people hate concepts out of prejudice?

Also I love the first issue of Camelot Falls. Its the best "a day of Superman" issue I have read.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

"I would add Millar for Superman Red Son and Adventures."

Red Son was fantastic but it was non canon and short, though he told the story well. He was only on AoS for 4 issues so I disagree with putting him on that list just for having too small a sample of Superman work.

Being non canon doesn;t mean it isn't influential.

No no no. Superman Adventures, not Adventures of Superman.

Superman Adventures is an all ages book, following the style of the animated series from the 90s BUT it is completely autonomous and has some of the best Superman writing. Millar brings his best and this is probably one of the few all ages books he has done.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

For me, being in the top ten means having given something to canon. Also, I don't know how influential Red Son has been. I don't think I've seen any lasting impact it had.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

For me, being in the top ten means having given something to canon. Also, I don't know how influential Red Son has been. I don't think I've seen any lasting impact it had.

Its one of the best Luthor stories and personally my favorite Luthor story. Its so distinctive that is considered a must read and it is always in lists about comics you must read. One of the few Superman stories that are.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: @squalleon: I think we can all agree Camelot Falls is fantastic

Makes you wish Busiek would write him again.

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon said:

That was what Lana was always though. New 52 she is just a copy of Lois, tomboy, adventurer, daring, reckless(thats why I like her though :P). People don't want to admit that. Especially the fans that "hate" Lois, creating a very interesting irony that makes you wonder do some people hate concepts out of prejudice?

Also I love the first issue of Camelot Falls. Its the best "a day of Superman" issue I have read.

Lana could have been her own woman without being portrayed as the longing farm girl with unreciprocated love. The story would have been just fine without that, imo.

I think people hate Lois because they havent read her at her best. That and Superman and Lois Lane has been such a long and well established relationship that they desperately want to see something else.

I prefer Matt Kindt's AoS issue and Joe Kelly's Action Comics 760. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Ueah maybe in an out of continuity story like All Star, Secret Identity or Red Son.

Millar has done fantastic work woth Superman you should check his stuff out if you haven't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.