Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Confirmation that Superman Unchained is Finished

• 53 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

Straight from the horse's mouth too

No Caption Provided

Which Snyder would have Batman punch if he could write it into his series no doubt :P

Anyway, after a slightly blunt and curt tweet "Yet you can't finish Superman Unchained even though it started one year this month" (not the rudest of tweets but one that did make me slightly ashamed when I got a response) Scott Snyder sent me a polite and friendly PM reply saying that Superman Unchained is in fact finished. It only needs to be drawn now

No Caption Provided

This confirms that Snyder is all done on his end leaving only one certain culprit at large as to why the series is delayed. The question remains as to how long it will take for the series to finish now...

Thoughts on this Superman fans?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

JIM LEEEE!!!!! kinda wish Tony Daniel drew this

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Aww, I was kinda hoping it was getting cancelled from the title.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: It is. After Snyder and Lee's run is done, the series is going to be cancelled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Honestly Lee's art in this wasn't that good, they could've gotten somebody else.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Finally, Finally

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad fact is Snyder probably compromised the story so Lee can finish his work earlier. Or thats my take on the last issue's changes. I am pretty sure it is more difficult to draw a big scale fight rather than a Wraithonite ring...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Bruxae

@lvenger said:

@bruxae: It is. After Snyder and Lee's run is done, the series is going to be cancelled.

Really? Thanks for letting me know.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing unexpected here, but it’s nice to have confirmation who's to blame.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I was beginning to think Snyder was also to blame but this just puts the nail in the coffin that Lee is responsible for all these delays in the series. Don't know why I expected anything different, Lee already has a history for this sort of thing.

@squalleon: Goodness, that would be the worst if that had happened. I don't want Snyder's endings to drop in quality as he already has enough trouble finishing a story as it is. Hopefully it'll at least be entertaining. And thus far, Superman Unchained 7 and 8 are both solicited to come out in July though as we all know, solicits can change easily.

@bruxae said:

@lvenger said:

Really? Thanks for letting me know.

No problem.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I know how much you loved this story, Lvenger. You'll live though, Pak and Johns are a good duo on Superman.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Goodness, that would be the worst if that had happened. I don't want Snyder's endings to drop in quality as he already has enough trouble finishing a story as it is. Hopefully it'll at least be entertaining. And thus far, Superman Unchained 7 and 8 are both solicited to come out in July though as we all know, solicits can change easily.

• I think it happened with issue 6 because Snyder said he had a clear line with the story he wanted to tell. But all these are theories in my head. And although I don't trust Lee, he is an artist for three decades now, he knows that no matter how good a story is, it will be remembered fondly or not depending on how solid the ending will be(MoS, Action Comics by Morrison are perfect examples).
    • Yeah, I don't see that happening :-P
    Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This doesn't matter at all from my perspective. Lee still has to actually draw the books. Also I'd like to point out that even with delays the last book looked rushed.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unchained has been an absolute disgrace...I remember it coming out to much fanfare a year ago to celebrate Superman's 75th birthday and it has been one delay after another and now fizzling out like a damp firework with 3 months having passed since the last issue was out. The sad thing is that the comic started out pretty promisingly and could have been the best superman book for years.....to quote rocky "Could have been a contender".

Would DC allow a major Batman story to suffer similar delays? I doubt it.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I was beginning to think Snyder was also to blame but this just puts the nail in the coffin that Lee is responsible for all these delays in the series.

I may be not the best opinion about SM UC, but from I heard about Snyder he is a responsible author who can work in schedule and we all know how Lee is, so there always was only one culprit for me.

And thus far, Superman Unchained 7 and 8 are both solicited to come out in July though as we all know, solicits can change easily.

Certainly would be nice, but sadly I don’t believe it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: To be fair, as it was mentioned on another thread, the delays can't be held against the inner quality of a book. They suck and are disrespectful to the highest degree and are certainly a negative sign of poor management but the book itself is still really good. Sales are still over 100,000. I know Diamond sales put Unchained 6 at 94,000 last time but comic book writers have often tweeted that Diamond sales figures are only one part of the market sales and don't account for things like online orders or monthly subscriptions (which is how I get my comics.)

@lvenger said:

• I think it happened with issue 6 because Snyder said he had a clear line with the story he wanted to tell. But all these are theories in my head. And although I don't trust Lee, he is an artist for three decades now, he knows that no matter how good a story is, it will be remembered fondly or not depending on how solid the ending will be(MoS, Action Comics by Morrison are perfect examples).
    • Yeah, I don't see that happening :-P
    • I thought you liked issue 6? Unless you're referring to how rushed and quick the Wraith fight was which I can agree with. And perhaps Lee is putting his all into the ending but will that be enough?
    • Neither do I honestly.
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Let me clarify, when I say a disgrace, I mean more a disgrace to DC comics, or a disgrace on DC comics.... because as you rightly say, the comic itself has sold well and had some good moments!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

• I thought you liked issue 6? Unless you're referring to how rushed and quick the Wraith fight was which I can agree with. And perhaps Lee is putting his all into the ending but will that be enough?
    • Neither do I honestly.
    • Like you said it felt rushed, it was two pages long! Plus I was promised an epic-a$$ battle from Jim Lee's pencils so I thought the result was underwhelming in comparison :-P
    • Yeah, I don't know and considering the extra pages of the finale it only makes me worry more. I have waited for Unchained for so long and at this moment I am perfectly comfortable with waiting more if it means a better result. Especially now considering how strong the Superman line is. Although Geoff Johns' new 52 record wasn't great, I am pretty sure he will deliver from what I have seen. In his latest interview in newsarama I got some good impressions (I hated how the spammed the word "different" and "new" though). And his decision about Clark and the daily planet, plus a spotlight for Jimmy seem promising. I liked the fact that Clark gave up on the Planet's corrupted management but Lobdell handled it so bad that I want Clark right back at the side of Lois,Jimmy and Perry :-P

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

At least we're finally getting variants.

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmashBrawler

@squalleon said:

@smashbrawler: Jock's Superman is always so angry :-P

At least now we get the pretty art without the crappy words.

No Caption Provided

*gags*

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never expected it was Snyder's fault in the first place. Now, I wonder how long it will take Jim Lee to finish up on his end??

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon said:

No Caption Provided

*gags*

No Caption Provided

My reaction to that image.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Superguy1591
    SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmashBrawler

@lvenger: Honestly, I thought the part were he threatens Batman to be way worse but I couldn't be bothered to look for it.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

carterleavyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

No Caption Provided

*gags*

Bad writing like this, does not help Superman at all...

Yep at least it's not the New 52

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: Notice the lack of collar? Not N52 Supes, it's an Elseworld Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: He threatens Batman too?!! And people say Landis would be the perfect guy to write a Superman series...

@superguy1591: I'd have thought you would have liked that I didn't post that image in regards to New 52 Superman. I've said before that I find New 52 Superman alright. He could be worse BUT he could be so much better too under the right writers and creative direction. Writing like what's posted above just flies straight in the face of how Superman should act.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmashBrawler

@superguy1591 said:

@smashbrawler: Notice the lack of collar? Not N52 Supes, it's an Elseworld Superman.

Thank you, Captain Obvious... ?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was doubt that it was Snyder holding this book up?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger: I'm missing some context. What did you say that led to that "blunt and curt" tweet?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: Incorrect doubt in the end though. He has taken up Wytches at Image and a new Batman event at DC so it looked like his increased workload could have delayed Superman Unchained. But of course that's an unlikely scenario to say the least.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By kidchipotle

I've always assumed it was finished on Snyder's end for a while. Never blamed him for a second. It was always Jim fault.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: He means when in JL, but Batman says worst to Superman and he's cooool when he does.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can talk to Synder? That's awesome. I tried talking to Millar and never got a reply twice.

I've always assumed it was finished on Snyder's end for a while. Never blamed him for a second. It was always Jim fault.

This.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Sorry, should have clarified the situation. It was me who sent what I'd call a blunt and curt tweet of "Yet you can't finish Superman Unchained even though it started one year this month." That was all me being blunt and a little bit rude but Snyder was the one who politely PMed a response telling me that the book was finished plotting and scripting.

@superguy1591 Not sure what you're getting at with your comment.

@allstarsuperman I've only been able to reach Snyder 3 times. This recent interaction, one time on whether he asked his wife about the temperature of Superman's heat vision and the first tweet when he told me about when he receives his issues.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By JakeN7

@lvenger: Ah, I see. Lol. Didn't know you had a little snark in you. ;p But, you knew it was Lee causing the delays all along, right? All of Snyder's other books have kept an immaculate shipping schedule.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Don't worry, there will 2 new Superman series

: P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You wondering whether he threatened Batman in the N52 and the answer is yes, he threaten him in JL#2. Hardly a threat though, he thought Batman and GL were with the Parademon and he wanted to know what the Motherbox was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, just as I was getting into this.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SmashBrawler

@lvenger said:

@smashbrawler: He threatens Batman too?!! And people say Landis would be the perfect guy to write a Superman series...

Yep.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: Oh, we're still going on about Landis? Geez, it's too bad Superman has all right to be angry about what Batman did or I would jump on the Landis hate wagon. I don't like that guy...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

@smashbrawler: Oh, we're still going on about Landis? Geez, it's too bad Superman has all right to be angry about what Batman did or I would jump on the Landis hate wagon. I don't like that guy...

Yes, because Superman should act like a petty little kid and threaten to kill people to boot, that's excellent Superman writing right there.

Good. Grief.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: Batman unleashed an unpredictable killer into Metropolis and gave Superman no warning in advance just to "test" him? It's like if I point loaded gun at your family and then said I was just testing you.

I'm sure you would be ammused and say "Okay". Batman had no right to toy with people's lives.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: did you a least apologies when he responded lol

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmashBrawler

@superguy1591: I never claimed Batman was well written either. Nobody was for that matter, the entire story is garbage.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: I never said it was a good story or that Superman was well written. I said he had all right to be angry.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.