Comic Book Question of the Week Results: Favorite Superman Story

Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

Friends, the time has finally come. For many of us, Man of Steel will come out at midnight and that's something totally worth celebrating. So, we here at Comic Vine wanted to reflect on Kal-El's extensive history of phenomenal stories and give you all a few days to think about which story impressed you the most. Out of the 16 options, one flew above the rest and... well, I can't say I'm surprised by the winner. Soaking in 33% of the votes, Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's ALL-STAR SUPERMAN wins!

While it may be a bit too out there for some of you, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN is considered one of the greatest Superman stories by countless fans and critics. The twelve-issue series revolves around Superman enduring great trials after being overwhelmed with solar radiation (courtesy of Lex Luthor). It boosts his powers and gives him new abilities, but the overdose is also slowly killing him. Morrison's distinct writing and Quitely's unique illustrations makes the limited-series emotional, inspiring and downright epic at times. Personally, I voted for 'Birthright' and the latest 'Why You Should Read' explains why. Check out the poll results below.

Remember to visit the homepage next Tuesday for an all-new "Comic Book Question of the Week!"

Staff
#1 Posted by TommytheHitman (2733 posts) - - Show Bio

Granted when I read it I had no idea what was happening BUT I've come to expect that from Morrison anyway and I can't deny how awesome it honestly is. Which is why I'm gonna reread it before seeing Man of Steel.

#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19551 posts) - - Show Bio

I win

#3 Posted by Mucklefluga (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm probably gonna buy a lot of these (Birthright, For All Seasons, Red Son) because of Comixology's sale. $3 for the whole of Red Son? Bargain!

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm probably gonna buy a lot of these (Birthright, For All Seasons, Red Son) because of Comixology's sale. $3 for the whole of Red Son? Bargain!

It's money well spent, though!

Staff
#5 Edited by Mild_Karl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to the Man of Tomorrow is only at 3%? That's one of my all time favorite pieces of fiction.

Not just in comic books, but all books, across all stories in all media. It's fantastic.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32226 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised to see Death & Return so high

#7 Posted by Mucklefluga (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@mucklefluga said:

It's money well spent, though!

Definitely!

#8 Posted by LordRequiem (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman wasn't canon thought was it? Strange everyone would pick that over something like the Death of Superman.

#9 Posted by crassh76 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read the TPB The Nail and really enjoyed it.

#10 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

Earth One should not be so high imo... pretty bad book, but I agree with everything else.

#12 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like this question because it gives me a big list of good superman stories to read.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4059 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

Earth One should not be so high imo... pretty bad book, but I agree with everything else.

its not about "best" story but favorite!

#14 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised to see Death & Return so high

Death and Return still holds up. Yeah, it was a gimmick, but the Return books are still pretty good reads.

Staff
#15 Posted by Shallbecomeabattoo (363 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman is so good, I wouldn't fight anyone who would proclaim it to be the best comicbook ever. Its that good.

#16 Posted by The Poet (8288 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman and Secret Origin are two of my all time favorite stories of all time

#18 Posted by micahparadise (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright to me was AMAZING!!!!!

#19 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Granted when I read it I had no idea what was happening BUT I've come to expect that from Morrison anyway and I can't deny how awesome it honestly is. Which is why I'm gonna reread it before seeing Man of Steel.

This made me laugh out loud

#20 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

the Death and return of Superman is In my opinion the most overrated story arc in the history of comics. It doesnt have really any depth or intelligence to really justify it being constantly regarded as good, its really nothing more than a big slugfest. And it gave birth to one of the most generic one-dimensional villians in comics. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow should have been rated higher, but people have different opinions i guess.

#21 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (5875 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by davidgrantlloyd (334 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, it's a toss up between Kingdom Come and For the Man Who Has Everything. Those are by far my favourite Superman stories

#23 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

no love for all seasons. way better than all star. better art too.

#24 Edited by ravisher (665 posts) - - Show Bio

batman bin suparman

aware?

#25 Edited by Loki2u (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Just curious how many people voted? With the one exception, these percentages don't really mean a whole lot.

#26 Posted by JamDamage (1106 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by JamDamage (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

All Stare Superman blows. Kingdom Come isn't a pure Superman Story either.

#28 Posted by Pokeysteve (7936 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Edited by sasquatch888 (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I know all star superman was a great story but does anyone remember "man of steel" from the late 80's ....that story brought a whole new level of greatness to superman ...john byrne was the unparalleled hottest creator in comics and was writing and drawing fantasic four , alpha flight and just finished an insane run on uncanny X-men that cemented wolverine and company as comic book icons ,,,and after crisis (the first one) he re created supes origin and expelled the corniness from superman. at the time i was about 14 and all my friends were collecting overwhelmingly marvel books ...this is the title that changed all that . this along with batman year one put dc back on the map believe me ...at the time besides the george perez teen titans nothing at DC was hot ...if you're 40 and over you would remember how incredible it was. it was almost like DC was reborn as a comic company. It was such a big event that John Byrne did a time magazine cover!!! ...as All Star Superman only came out a few years ago many fans will vote for it. ...im sure if you were to ask many creators about superman they would undoubtedly point to "man of steel" and john byrne's run on action comics as incredible influences

#31 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that I can't remember which story I voted for (not All-Star) only pays testament to the fact that Kal El has had some great stories!

#32 Posted by weenman1 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how so many bash Grant M but his work often rises to the top concerning many Dc and Marvel greats!

#33 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel is out, All-Star Superman is the best Supes story, and all is right with the world.

#34 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured it would win..it would've been surprising had All-Star Supes not won the title of favorite Superman story of all time. Right on!

#35 Posted by lifeofvibe (3407 posts) - - Show Bio

why do people like all star superman unless almost all of your are adults i can understand because adults are into the long boring type but me a kid i like earth one

#36 Posted by ccraft (5017 posts) - - Show Bio

So far I bought Kingdom Come & Red Son during the comixology sale.

Kingdom Come was really good!

#37 Posted by Chibio (920 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no better Superman story than Peace On Earth.

#38 Posted by Spartan101 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

DOS was almost perfect imo..thats my no 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.