Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18937 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Clark Kent Makes a Big Decision plus a New Development for Lois Lane in SUPERMAN #13

• 100 results
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @darth_jones: Dude, the issue hasn't even come out yet. Why don't you just read it in your LCS and then save your judgment for afterwards. Who knows? You might be surprised. 

Plus, #0 was an incredible improvement over what we've been seeing and I can actually say I'm excited about what I'm seeing so far of #13. Just judging from the preview, it looks very nineties, but in a good way. Its not too "extreme", and yet at the same time has some of that classic nineties feel. No surprise coming from Lobdell, best known as being a nineties X-Men writer. While I didn't like his Teen Titans, I have to say that he may be what Superman needs. Although that could be because I was a big fan of 90s Superman. For me, at least, the nineties Superman comics were some of the best Superman comics. And this is coming from someone who was born in the 1990s and did all of his 90s reading after said decade had already passed.
    blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By blackkitty

I have to say I agree. As a reporter Clark has press pass, the ability to get into areas restricted to the public and elicit information unavailable to the average person. As a blogger he's one of thousands. He has no real credibility or influence. And yes, readership in newspapers has greatly decreased but, many read the papers online, and here in Tucson, AZ we have 4 main papers so, obviously they are not gone.

As for Lois, I was told she is growing into a major independent woman, but, not really seeing it yet. She's a great character, I'm saddened they felt the need to separate her from Clark. These two are iconic, but who knows what the future holds.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Eternal19

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@bloggerboy said:

@The Mighty Monarch said:

I'm at least glad that Lobdell recognizes that Clark Kent is not just a suit Superman wears. The best Superman writing comes from the acknowledgement that Clark Kent is the man he is in his heart, and Superman is the suit he wears; counter to Batman who is Batman in his soul whose forced to wear the mask of 'Bruce Wayne.'

But Clark Kent can't use his powers in public, has to wear glasses, ergo, Clark Kent is also a disguise, a suit.

Neither Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne are disguises. That's just rhetoric people tell themselves so they don't get nosebleeds.

batman admitted that bruce wayne was a disguise in the 0 issue

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eternal19 said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@bloggerboy said:

I'm at least glad that Lobdell recognizes that Clark Kent is not just a suit Superman wears. The best Superman writing comes from the acknowledgement that Clark Kent is the man he is in his heart, and Superman is the suit he wears; counter to Batman who is Batman in his soul whose forced to wear the mask of 'Bruce Wayne.'

But Clark Kent can't use his powers in public, has to wear glasses, ergo, Clark Kent is also a disguise, a suit.

Neither Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne are disguises. That's just rhetoric people tell themselves so they don't get nosebleeds.

Who says you can't make money off of fan fiction?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Eternal19

Im okay with this. As long as superman still feels like superman i wont give up hope on Lobdell.

KendraSander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By KendraSander

I really like the new Superman,but I'd like to see him in a relationship with Lois lane.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Looks pretty cool. Hopefully, Clark and Lois don't hook up. That would suck.

phaedrusnyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By phaedrusnyc

@zeeguy91 Thanks for clarifying...since the previous panel showing them in relation to one another has them at a right angle that was unclear, but looking at the x-ray vision panel again I get it. It's a bit...convenient, but I get it.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By FrankenKong

Is my heart the only one around here that starts to ache when Lois is communicating with her new boyfriend and shutting Clark out. Reminds me of how I felt after reading the end of Superman #1. My heart goes out to Clark Kent.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I still don't think I am going to pick this issue up

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61  Edited By RedOwl_1

Art looks good, and I have hopes for it

@jesusdisciple001 said:

not a pervert but i saw Lois' bra

Don't worry is not your fault they drew her with it.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Eternal19 said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@bloggerboy said:

Who says you can't make money off of fan fiction?

Geez, I leave for a few hours and my comment's stirred up a mini hornet's nest.

It's a big part of the duality between the two, there was an arc of Superman/Batman that really demonstrated this well; where it appeared Superman and Batman had switched powers, but they had in fact been granted their hidden deep desires. Superman fights the fight he does because he was raised to be responsible about the gifts you're given, to use them for the betterment of all. But super powers aren't the only gifts Clark Kent has, even when he's in his public persona he fights for justice. In the New 52 Action Comics they really show just how important it is for him to fight as a human being using his human skills when he isn't being Superman. If Clark Kent was just a way for him to blend in among humans and interact, he wouldn't be so defiant and outspoken; he'd try to blend into the woodwork and not draw too much attention to himself. But he can't do that, he has a compulsion to help people, and deep down he wishes he could do more as Clark Kent, yet to do most of his greatest good, he has to put on the costume and BECOME Superman.

On the other side we have Batman. Aside from the recent zero issue, there have been multiple confirmations that 'Bruce Wayne' is simply a shell that Batman must wear as his public face. He does good in that persona as well, but much of his public face isn't his true self. It has been said that all three Waynes truly died in that alleyway, and Batman was born in the heart of a devastated 8 year old boy. Granted the creation of 'Batman' took years, but the seeds were planted in that moment when a young boy lost his entire world. In "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?" Batman was very close to simply letting 'Bruce Wayne' die, as the strong evidence in the murder case had compromised Wayne's usefulness as an identity. The beginning of Morrison's run had Batman so focused and driven that Alfred had to point out he was speaking in his gruff 'Batman' voice all the time, and he actually had to practice talking as 'Bruce Wayne.' Even in Batman Beyond, it's clear that his more casual or relaxed tone is the gruff Batman voice, while he speaks more softly when he has to put on his public face. If it were possible, Batman would simply never take off the costume. In that arc of Superman/Batman, he constantly flew around the world, so that he would always be fighting crime at night.

Clark Kent puts on the guise of Superman to use his powers to fight the good fight that Clark Kent can't without compromising his ability to do the good Superman can't do.

Batman puts on the guise of Bruce Wayne because he needs to keep running his family's company and fund his endeavors. And to do the good that Batman can't do, charities and the like.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Mighty Monarch: Clever explanation, but dualism is such an outdated concept. Like I said before, they're one and the same. It's the same deal as Spider-Man, however he doesn't get the same treatment or possibly deserve it. Why do you think this is?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I really, REALLY do not like Jonathan Carroll now. So Clark's leaving because of that? Tsk tsk. This just makes me sad to see this. Really it does.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#65  Edited By RazzaTazz

The tie to the golden age is nice, but Superman doesn't need to work in a newspaper anymore.  Kind of irresponsible actually when he has a lot of other better things to worry about.  

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#66  Edited By RazzaTazz

I also find it to be interesting that Clark breaks from the past and quits his job and Superman fans are not happy, but when they broke from the past with Wonder Woman to make her Superman's girlfriend the same fans didn't really care about breaks from the past.  

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Cap10nate

Can't understate the influence of Supes in pop culture. Makes national news anytime something significant happens.

Saw articles in USA Todau and otherswith this as breaking news.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I think it's Cool <3

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz said:

I also find it to be interesting that Clark breaks from the past and quits his job and Superman fans are not happy, but when they broke from the past with Wonder Woman to make her Superman's girlfriend the same fans didn't really care about breaks from the past.

Yeah I'm pretty much the other way around. This is fine and interesting, making Wonder Woman Superman's girlfriend is a phenomenally stupid publicity stunt.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ThanosIsMad

@bloggerboy said:

Disguises aren't just physical, they're mental too. The public portrayal of Superman is an act; a heightened sense of Clark Kent to put some distance between the public and private life. Therefore, Superman, regardless of the attire, is the disguise. The way Clark Kent acts isn't something he does to throw people off to the fact that he's Superman, but the way he acts as Superman serves to throw people off to the fact that he's Clark Kent.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sethysquare

@CircularLogic said:

Lobdell... I know you like living in the past, but don't make Clark a Blogger. This isn't 2004 anymore, we all know they have no real power in the real world.

Sounds silly. One of the most important sources of information are from online website sources. Huffingtom post for news. Deadline, the hollywood reporter and variety for entertainment. Nobody reads newspaper anymore, just so you know, news paper has been slated to extinct in the next few decades

dont feel so smart now do you?

Avatar image for secondfallen616
    secondfallen616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By secondfallen616

.....who reads news papers anyways?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#73  Edited By InnerVenom123

Cool, I guess.

Seafarinhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Seafarinhare

He should take up being a lumberjack.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SandMan_
    @RazzaTazz said:
    The tie to the golden age is nice, but Superman doesn't need to work in a newspaper anymore.  Kind of irresponsible actually when he has a lot of other better things to worry about.  
    Yup. With his powers he could do a lot of other interesting things.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, and this is just to get a bit off topic from the rest of the comments, I really like the art in this issue. Though faces are a bit off the lean looks and vibrant color look great compared to earlier issues.

I wasn't really upset with the break-up of Lois and Clark if the idea was to make everyone younger. What I continue to be frustrated about is how Clark is being written whenever Lois' boyfriend is mentioned or featured. Its too immature. I could see a panel showing a grimace on his face or a thought bubble popping up when he sees something like that, but having him walk out is just stupid.

I also don't understand the "I've only been a journalist for barely five years now" comment. Did Lobdell not get a briefing or explanation on the new 52 Superman's history. By this point its been over 5 years (as the five year point is the set date of the Justice League and Superman appeared just before that) plus he was at the Daily Star before that for at least awhile and I'm assuming he had journalism experience in high school or whatnot......paper's don't just hire people off the streets even if the editor did know his parents. So to throw out a comment like that just feels like Lobdell didn't really care to research the character fully or talk to the last team about what their thoughts on the character had been.

On the other point, I don't really see how Clark could really start anything on his own given his committments as Superman, even going online. I'm not saying he has to be a blogger. Their are plenty of legitimate, internet-based news outlets that the writing team can draw examples from rather than just having Clark host a blog. But to do something like that he would need people and time. Time he doesn't really have and people he wouldn't be able to keep if he's not around to give them guidance.

So it will be interesting to see where this goes and whether Lobdell will tie all this back into Action Comics and make Clark start going after corruption again since he'd been regulated to being the "Superman guy" at the Daily Planet.

Personally, I don't see why this wouldn't be a good opportunity to bring back up the idea of Clark being an author. It would be a perfect way to make money without having to have a "9 to 5" job and the books he publishes can be based on his journalism and investigations into crime and corruption in Metropolis, maybe write a crime or mystery novel or two on the side like he did before the revamp.

But not being a member of the Daily Planet doesn't necessarily hurt him in getting stories. He doesn't need his press pass to get information. He's got his vision and hearing abilities for that. I remember an issue dealing with Intergang and the Prankster right after One Year Later where they show him difusing Intergang bombs around the city while listening to and watching a press conference at City Hall. Though he wasn't there to answer questions at least he was able to get what he needed to write a story. So its not like he's out of options to get information once he leaves the Daily Planet.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By Backflip

Definitely feeling some Aaron Sorkin influence on Clark Kent here....

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By sethysquare

OMG SO PRETTY AND AWESOME. SUPERMAN IS GOING TO ROCK!

Scott Lobdell you are awesome

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#79  Edited By Black_Claw

Well this is a pretty big move. Can't wait to see how things play out in the long run.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Cap10nate said:

Can't understate the influence of Supes in pop culture. Makes national news anytime something significant happens.

Really? Clark Kent leaves the Daily Planet is worth covering? I mean, it's great that they cover comics and stuff, but really?

Jeez, no wonder Clark left the Daily Planet. They were probably too busy commenting on Warrior Angel's decision of working on TV or something.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By Sovereign91001

@RazzaTazz said:

I count myself among the numbers that support and like both choices.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By sethysquare

@SmashBrawler said:

@Cap10nate said:

Really? Clark Kent leaves the Daily Planet is worth covering? I mean, it's great that they cover comics and stuff, but really?

Jeez, no wonder Clark left the Daily Planet. They were probably too busy commenting on Warrior Angel's decision of working on TV or something.

This piece of news was covered around the world, including asia where I reside.

Thats the difference between superheroes and Icons. Superman is more than just a comics character.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SmashBrawler

@sethysquare said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Cap10nate said:

This piece of news was covered around the world, including asia where I reside.

Thats the difference between superheroes and Icons. Superman is more than just a comics character.

I'm well aware of Superman's place as an icon and pop culture character. What I meant is that it's really far-fetched to think this kind of stuff is worth covering.

Commenting on Superman's new costume? Yes, that does make sense because Supes had been using the same iconic costume for 70+ years, more if you count the Golden Age original.

But Clark Kent leaving the Daily Planet? A plot device that will probably be undone in a few months/years? Is that really worth covering?

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By bloggerboy

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

Disguises aren't just physical, they're mental too. The public portrayal of Superman is an act; a heightened sense of Clark Kent to put some distance between the public and private life. Therefore, Superman, regardless of the attire, is the disguise. The way Clark Kent acts isn't something he does to throw people off to the fact that he's Superman, but the way he acts as Superman serves to throw people off to the fact that he's Clark Kent.

But Clark Kent is also one of the last of a dead alien race. He was born on Krypton and raised on earth. As long as Clark is hiding this from the general public he is wearing a disguise of some kind. The fact is, the world wouldn't accept an alien living like a human amongst humans and doing incredible super things. If Clark would be accepted, he'd build the Fortress of Solitude on his home farm in Smallville, not in the Arctic away from civilization. The Superman persona would be more like a title like the Man Of Steel, not a secret identity anymore.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloggerboy said:

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

But Clark Kent is also one of the last of a dead alien race. He was born on Krypton and raised on earth. As long as Clark is hiding this from the general public he is wearing a disguise of some kind. The fact is, the world wouldn't accept an alien living like a human amongst humans and doing incredible super things. If Clark would be accepted, he'd build the Fortress of Solitude on his home farm in Smallville, not in the Arctic away from civilization. The Superman persona would be more like a title like the Man Of Steel, not a secret identity anymore.

Wait.... that weakens your argument. IF Clark Kent could be accepted with his powers then he wouldn't need to be 'Superman' anymore. 'Superman' would be a title, but he'd be Clark Kent all the time. Hence, Superman is the false face, the disguise he wears; and Clark Kent is the truest expression of his self.

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By War07

Love the Art!!

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By bloggerboy

@bloggerboy said:

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

Wait.... that weakens your argument. IF Clark Kent could be accepted with his powers then he wouldn't need to be 'Superman' anymore. 'Superman' would be a title, but he'd be Clark Kent all the time. Hence, Superman is the false face, the disguise he wears; and Clark Kent is the truest expression of his self.

Except Clark wouldn't wear glasses or otherwise hide his clothes etc. He could use his powers in broad daylight with everyone seeing it. He'd fly to work, he could fly his co-workers to work. He could type stories superfast in the bullpen. He could bring in kryptonian technology to help him and others. He'd be Clark Kent, Kal-El and Superman all in one. I never said Superman was Clark's true identity, only that Clark Kent tends to be a disguise too.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#88  Edited By Zoch81

Looks good the art is fantastic looking forward to reading it.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Eternal19

@Cap10nate said:

I know!! its a hot topic right now its one of the most searched things on the internet now.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By jrock85

I'll pass.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By jrock85

Is no one else bothered by the fact that he's abusing his abilities by invading Lois' privacy? That's something Johnathan and Martha Kent would frown upon.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By sethysquare

@bloggerboy said:

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

you obviously didnt read action comics and dont know much about superman.

hang out more woth us in superman forums.

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Mediumguy

Doesn't Bruce Wayne own The Daily Planet? Or is that changed in DCnU.

Supes1903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Supes1903

@Mediumguy said:

Doesn't Bruce Wayne own The Daily Planet? Or is that changed in DCnU.

I'm not exactly sure when or where the change happens, but Morgan Edge is currently the head honcho @TDP.

Apieceofmymind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Apieceofmymind

The lenghts they're going to take Lois away from Clark are just awful. They took away the integrity for her job now.

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SigersonLTD

@sethysquare said:

@bloggerboy said:

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

That would require liking Superman more than Batman.

In the Morrisonverse, Most know that Clark and Bruce are Superman and Batman, respectively. However, no one says anything simply because, they are Superman and Batman.

If you don't understand this, then no amount of reading, as you suggest, is going to help you to get what's going on in the DCnU. Furthermore, the last 25 plus years of stories has taken place over three years DCnU time, based on Barbara Gordon's(The One True Batgirl) timeline. You need to take all of this into account before any commentary will make sense to those whose first Comic Con was after 1991.

Sounds like it's time for another blog post.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By sethysquare

@SigersonLTD said:

@sethysquare said:

@bloggerboy said:

@ThanosIsMad said:

@bloggerboy said:

That would require liking Superman more than Batman.

In the Morrisonverse, Most know that Clark and Bruce are Superman and Batman, respectively. However, no one says anything simply because, they are Superman and Batman.

If you don't understand this, then no amount of reading, as you suggest, is going to help you to get what's going on in the DCnU. Furthermore, the last 25 plus years of stories has taken place over three years DCnU time, based on Barbara Gordon's(The One True Batgirl) timeline. You need to take all of this into account before any commentary will make sense to those whose first Comic Con was after 1991.

Sounds like it's time for another blog post.

Uhm. Do you even know what the argument is about?

Its about whether Clark Kent is the disguise or Superman is the disguise.

What has it got to do with liking Superman more than Batman? Or anything else in your post?

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SigersonLTD

@sethysquare: I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain myself, however, since you seem not to understand my point, I shall rephrase. If the argument is about which is the disguise the answer is neither. The fact that I don't care that much is because I like Batman better, however, it's the same argument; to wit: Batman is two people, and they are both Bruce Wayne.

Now if I need to spell that out for you, simply because You can replace this same argument with the topic du jour, then by all means, assume that I've done that.

Do you get it now? If not, read the original post again. Reread until you do. These are easy steps.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By sethysquare

@SigersonLTD said:

@sethysquare: I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain myself, however, since you seem not to understand my point, I shall rephrase. If the argument is about which is the disguise the answer is neither. The fact that I don't care that much is because I like Batman better, however, it's the same argument; to wit: Batman is two people, and they are both Bruce Wayne.

Now if I need to spell that out for you, simply because You can replace this same argument with the topic du jour, then by all means, assume that I've done that.

Do you get it now? If not, read the original post again. Reread until you do. These are easy steps.

You sure don't make any sense.

The core of the character isn't defined by morrisonverse. If you don't understand the character because you claim you like Batman better then you don't understand the character.

It doesn't matter what Morrison wrote in Action Comics because it comes down to the same thing. For the past I don't know how many years, there is a certain defining characteristic about Superman. Morrison did cover it, but he made it very obvious.

If you don't understand the character, just say you don't understand the character. Your argument seems to be pertaining to DCnU, but that wasn't what the argument is about.

Do I have you spell out everything for you. Gosh.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ComicStooge

@The Stegman said:

@edge0076:

@bloggerboy said:

I agree.

There are three identities 1. Superman 2. The Daily Planet Clark Kent, the bumbling, clumsy, nerdy guy with glasses and a suit two times too big to hide his muscles. 3. The REAL Clark, the one that cares about his friends and family, who was raised by the Kents,and has their values and morals instilled in him. I believe #2 is the disguise, the others are two halves of his persona

What about Kal-El (last son of Krypton and all that jazz)?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.