Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Christopher Reeve vs. Henry Cavil

Avatar image for thepowerofshazam
    ThepowerofShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ThepowerofShazam

Poll Christopher Reeve vs. Henry Cavil (55 votes)

Christopher Reeve 45%
    Henry Cavil 51%

Who embodies Superman better.

• 
    SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrong question. Reeve and Cavill both portrayed two very different versions of Superman, with Reeve playing “idealized Superman” version and Cavill playing “alien in real world” archetype. Answer will depend on personal opinion, since there is no single, set in stone definition of Superman. I’ll withhold from voting if you don’t mind.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Superguy1591

^What that guy said. Reeve portrayed SilverAge god-Superman, Cavill is trying to portray a more human Superman.

That requires a much different style. Plus, Henry has yet to portray HIS version of Superman and has only done Snyder's version. As naturally charismatic as Henry is, if given freedom to formulate his persona of Supes he would be amazing (I thought his Superman was pretty good).

So...like the last guy, this pointless Reeve wank--because I know that's what this is--will also get an abstention.

Avatar image for thepowerofshazam
    ThepowerofShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yo i was just leaving at as a simple opinion but cool

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reeves. cavill could be good, but needs more dialogue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Wrong question. Reeve and Cavill both portrayed two very different versions of Superman, with Reeve playing “idealized Superman” version and Cavill playing “alien in real world” archetype. Answer will depend on personal opinion, since there is no single, set in stone definition of Superman. I’ll withhold from voting if you don’t mind.

This.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

This. It also applies to Batman also.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki said:

This.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: there is no 'wrong or right' question... it's a question that apparently you don't like. come on man, play nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Reeve.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009:

Maybe I sounded a bit judgmental here, but my position about it remains the same (and plenty of fellow comicviners agree with me). Without single, canonical portrayal of Supes through years I don’t see how I can objectively answer to this question, hence question must be badly formulated.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..I think you can answer this based on which actor's portrayal best embodies what you expect in the superman character....I find it hard to answer, but would probably go Reeve simply because he played the character four times and was Superman in my formative years, but that's not to bash Henry Cavil who I thought did a good job in MOS.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Henry Cavill is Superman. Just the perfect embodiment.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Reeve was not only great at acting as superman, but was also the closest will get to a real life superman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

I was gonna say something so similar to this, that I might as well just quote it. It's like asking who played Joker better, Nicholson or Ledger.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I vote based on looks. Cavill takes it

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Cavvil made me care about a character I could never stand, he get's the W.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I actually wasnt a big fan of Cavill, so ill go with Reeve.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with Cavill. He imo gave me a Superman showing just powerful he is. If you are just talking the actors Id give the edge to Reeve.

As for the which screen version of Superman is the most powerful (talking Serials,TV versions and movies) Id go with Brandon Routh. He was depicted as being a more seasoned Superman who was very aware just how powetful he is.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reeve

cptstormsword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote based on looks. Cavill takes it

This is an old comment but I agree with this. Cavill is the man.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheKinfing

Reeve, by far.

SuperAbrasax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperAbrasax

I prefer Cavill overall. One thing is that Silver Age Superman, especially as illustrated by Curt Swan, was even taller and more muscular than current runs have had him. His official height was supposed to have been around 6'6". Though similar in powers and temperament in the movies, Reeve never quite seemed buff enough for Superman. Of course, Reeve was a tall, athletic guy, but Curt Swan (or Alex Ross) Superman is a human tank. The visual aesthetics are very important to me, so that counts for a lot.

Henry Cavill is also very good looking, in a Greek god sort of way, which works well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.