Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Christopher Kent: Last Son, Later On

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By Kal'smahboi

Many things have changed since the dawn of the New 52. Some have changed for the better and some for the worse. Those are matters of opinion. But for better or for worse, they have changed nonetheless. Oftentimes, I find myself frustrated by those parts of DC stories that have affected the continuity of the past. The soft reboot of the DC Universe meant that they were not starting over, but were adapting and shifting what already existed.

Clark Kent and Lois Lane are no longer married. But in a different timeline, they were, and they loved each other very deeply. Those of us that are familiar with Superman's history (despite a lapse in judgment of the writers of Superman Returns,) know that they are a couple cursed with the knowledge that they are of different worlds, and different species. They love deeply but can never create life out of that love. Yet, despite vastly different physiology and genetic material, for a brief period of time, Superman and Lois Lane had a son.

No Caption Provided

In Superman: Last Son, a young boy was mysteriously released from the Phantom Zone. As the story would unfold, he was revealed to be the son of General Zod, born and raised in the Zone, and part of a plot for his father's escape. He was, however, just a boy, and succumbed very easily to the love and support of his temporary adoptive family.

The beauty of this story is that we find a Superman that finally has something he has always wanted. He is able to have a family with the love of his life, something that he assumed was impossible. It becomes only more powerful as the young boy he comes to see as his son sacrifices his own liberty and happiness in order to close a door to the Phantom Zone, and save the world from the tyranny and violence of his biological father.

No Caption Provided

Superman loves...and loses.

Loss seems to be a recurring theme in Superman's life, but the growth that this story shows is of an adult Superman, expressing adult feelings including the desire to settle down, marry and raise a child.

A common complaint of the post-Flashpoint DCU is the compression of the old timeline of stories into five years, the years between the formation of the Justice League and the present. Many people debate the prospect that these characters' entire histories could possibly fit into just five years. I thought today of Christopher Kent, the youngest Kryptonian, and the effect that he had on Superman (a man in his mid-thirties) during his short time on Earth. I considered what Superman felt after the loss of his adoptive son, and concluded that this story could not have happened in the five years since he stepped out of the shadows and alleyways to fight the likes of Brainiac and Darkseid. Ignoring the obvious contradictions such as his marriage, Superman has simply not been ready for this story up to this point in his life, having been changed to a young adult.

It's an odd concept to mix the comic world and ours, but this story cannot have existed, not because it wouldn't fit into the five year history, but because the thematic elements we see don't fit into Superman's life stage. As a young man in his twenties, he would not have felt the longing, bliss and then the total loss present in this story about a "son figure." At best, it is a possible future event in Superman's life. At worst, it is the terrible loss of a beautiful story, about the son that Superman will never have.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By sethysquare

:( I miss Lor Zod, Christopher Kent.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By soduh2

@sethysquare said:

Don't worry, they'll probably bring back an edgy New 52 version of him.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sethysquare

@soduh2 said:

@sethysquare said:

Don't worry, they'll probably bring back an edgy New 52 version of him.

huh? What makes you think he'll be back "edgy"

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Here's the thing: Almost all of the DC heroes I grew up with eventually had kids in one fashion or another.

Aquaman had his illegitimate son Koryak, Green Arrow had his in Connor Hawke, Wally had his two brats, Power Girl had Equinox, and Bruce, of course, has Damian. There's a reason as to why only one of those kids actually remains in continuity: It's almost impossible for your main character to have kids and not make the comic book about family. You can either embrace it or change it, but you can't ignore it. Byrne and Waid succeeded in writing the Fantastic Four because they made it about family and that came to define the team. Superman is not about family. That's sort of why they took the chance to get rid of Christopher during the end of the New Krypton Saga. That's why he didn't make it into the New 52. Frankly, I like it better this way. Superman was feeling way too old. He had sort of developed into this yuppie stick-in-the mud during the Post-Crisis days and being a dad didn't help that situation. He needed to feel a bit younger to start being fun again. I agree that the Chris Kent story was nice, and the fact that it's no longer continuity shouldn't take away from that. Is Kingdom Come any less meaningful because it isn't in continuity? Or All-Star Superman? Or The Dark Knight Returns? Instead of worrying about whether it's cannon or not, enjoy the story for what it is.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kal'smahboi

@Jekylhyde14: I think you mistook this post for a complaint. I'm simply making a distinction for as to why I think that it cannot have occurred at this point in Superman's life. I'm enjoying the New 52 a great deal, for the most part. Even Superman's title is gaining momentum. Last Son is a great story that I value, I am simply taking a look at the thematic elements of the story and coming to a conclusion about the continuity of Superman's life in the DCnU. Whether or not it remains cannon is really neither here nor there. My point is that if it does remain in continuity, it must be in the future, not the past.

Thank for reading, btw :)

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@Kal'smahboi:

Lol, got ya. I guess I was reading too much into the last sentence of the post which seemed kind of somber. Your points are valid, though. Nothing wrong with your reasoning. I just didn't want you to worry. ;)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SandMan_

I was actually thinking of Chris today.....Jesus, Supes needs more of a supporting cast outside the Daily Planet.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

I loved this story. A great start to a great run (except for Secret Origin).

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By the_tree

I really loved Chris Kent, it's pretty upsetting that we won't be seeing him for a long while, if ever. (Not counting Superman Family Adventures).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@sethysquare said:

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SandMan_
    @The_Tree said:

I really loved Chris Kent, it's pretty upsetting that we won't be seeing him for a long while, if ever. (Not counting Superman Family Adventures).

Indeed....Why does Damian get to run around and Chris doesn't ? :(
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By the_tree

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

I know, right? I wish the two got to meet as well, I think they could've grown to be good friends, like Conner and Tim.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SandMan_
    @The_Tree: indeed...poor Chris.
    Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eternal19

stories like this is why I miss the Pre-new 52

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Probably the same reason why people like Batman better than Superman. Damian is a gritty badass...

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By War07

Maybe he can return as the son of Superman and Wonderwoman!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

I liked him but don't think he should return for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time if ever. 
    It would also under a lot of what they are trying to do in the 52/

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SandMan_
    @Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Probably the same reason why people like Batman better than Superman. Damian is a gritty badass...

Gritty and dark! Blah!
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Magian

Wish he hadn't been retconned away. Liked the family Supes and Lois had started with him since they couldn't have kids of their own. I felt it was the next step for their marriage. And liked him too. I would love to see a new Young Justice book with him as Superboy, Damian as Robin and Iris West as Impulse.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sethysquare

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

I believe it boils down to the fact that Damien had such a huge fan base and is even able to support his own on going.

Chris Kent otoh had hardly any focus and the truth is, I think he don't have that huge a fanbase.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

I believe it boils down to the fact that Damien had such a huge fan base and is even able to support his own on going.

Chris Kent otoh had hardly any focus and the truth is, I think he don't have that huge a fanbase.

That's basically right. And why is he so popular? Because he's griTTay!

Seriously, though, I like Damian a lot myself and he does distinguish himself in ways that Chris never really did. Of course, a part of that is the fact that he's already killed a handful of supervillains before even reaching puberty... but, yeah, he's a hit with the fans.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sethysquare

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

Seriously, though, I like Damian a lot myself and he does distinguish himself in ways that Chris never really did. Of course, a part of that is the fact that he's already killed a handful of supervillains before even reaching puberty... but, yeah, he's a hit with the fans.

Then people should not blame DC for trying to make their characters griTTay.

Because apparently thats one way to get a huge fan base.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TDK_1997

I think that they will get him back sooner or later.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

@SandMan_ said:

I was actually thinking of Chris today.....Jesus, Supes needs more of a supporting cast outside the Daily Planet.

Agreed. We got Krypto back, so that's a small win for us.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@sethysquare said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Again, I like Damian and Chris for that matter. I'm just saying that Damian is covered in so much grit that you could serve him with my eggs for breakfast.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Again, I like Damian and Chris for that matter. I'm just saying that Damian is covered in so much grit that you could serve him with my eggs for breakfast.

lol i love the way you describe it.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@sethysquare said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@The_Tree said:

Gritty and dark! Blah!

lol i love the way you describe it.

: )

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By danhimself

@ComicMan24 said:

Wish he hadn't been retconned away. Liked the family Supes and Lois had started with him since they couldn't have kids of their own. I felt it was the next step for their marriage. And liked him too. I would love to see a new Young Justice book with him as Superboy, Damian as Robin and Iris West as Impulse.

I wanted that from the moment that they introduced Iris as Impulse...it would have been so awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.