Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Changes in Supporting Cast.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon

It seems there is gonna be a swift of supporting casts for each title. Confirmed by Pak in an interview in CBR.

Changes Revealed:

• Action Comics gets Jimmy and a new female character named Lee Lambert (new L.L).
    • Superman gets Lois.
    • Sm/Ww gets Lana Lang and Steel.
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Superman always had Lois. So now Pak will handle JImmy? Cool, maybe he can make me like Jimmy. Jimmy was terrible in Johns run. And as for SM/WW, also cool. Double dating confirmed

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

All in all, this is interesting news. WOnder what Yang will do with Lois, bet its gonna be a lot of Lois trying to redeem herself

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

If another LL initials character means Pak is going to make her a love interest, I'm not in the mood to see Superman become an unfaithful cheater on top of his New 52 mis-characterisations. But why has Pak given Lana over to SM/WW? Lana's been his character to use for the most part of his Superman run.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

If another LL initials character means Pak is going to make her a love interest, I'm not in the mood to see Superman become an unfaithful cheater on top of his New 52 mis-characterisations. But why has Pak given Lana over to SM/WW? Lana's been his character to use for the most part of his Superman run.

I don't know how she will be a love interest considering the relationship with WW. And I doubt DC will allow Superman to cheat on WW. It will diminish both characters and they will get great disdain for that by feminists (quite righteously if they do it).

Because he wants to focus on Lee probably and Lana was left out. So Tomasi saw the opportunity. I don't see another option. Why would he trow away the character he build otherwise.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger: Lex Luthor also has the LL initials. Will Superman cheat on WW with him, too?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@jogga: From the looks of the Batman/Superman preview, it looks like Superman will be cheating those on the side of law and order to work with Lex for whatever reason he has to throw in with his arch-nemesis.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon said:
    @lvenger said:

I don't know how she will be a love interest considering the relationship with WW. And I doubt DC will allow Superman to cheat on WW. It will diminish both characters and they will get great disdain for that by feminists (quite righteously if they do it).

Because he wants to focus on Lee probably and Lana was left out. So Tomasi saw the opportunity. I don't see another option. Why would he trow away the character he build otherwise.

In the Newsarama interview, Pak said "I'll say no more" after the interviewer asked whether Lee Lambert would be a love interest. I agree the bait click annoyance of the SM/WW romance might override any perogative of making Lee a new love interest for Superman but with everything Truth is throwing against the wall thus far, you just can't tell what the Superman team are going to do anymore. And not in a good way.

I'm not very fond of the feminist approach but I wouldn't be pleased at Superman being unfaithful, so I suppose Truth won't go that far in misrepresenting Superman.

Makes sense, Lana is being pushed forward in current Superman comics, someone's got to write about her involvement in this storyline and develop this romance with Steel. Not sure how well it will connect with Truth's overall direction though.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I'm not very fond of the feminist approach but I wouldn't be pleased at Superman being unfaithful, so I suppose Truth won't go that far in misrepresenting Superman.

Makes sense, Lana is being pushed forward in current Superman comics, someone's got to write about her involvement in this storyline and develop this romance with Steel. Not sure how well it will connect with Truth's overall direction though.

He, come on we both now they won't do that :P It would be an outrage and they already walk in a tight rope.

I was quite surprised from that change. Why Tomasi though? He already has plenty of work into putting some depth in Sm/Ww (like he did in B&R for Bats and Robin). Adding another relationship will make a crowd.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Considering this is happening, I doubt Clark is gonna cheat.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What started out as a possible coincidence is now being used.... as something. An other LL

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He, come on we both now they won't do that :P It would be an outrage and they already walk in a tight rope.

I was quite surprised from that change. Why Tomasi though? He already has plenty of work into putting some depth in Sm/Ww (like he did in B&R for Bats and Robin). Adding another relationship will make a crowd.

They're already in danger of falling off the tight rope with Truth, Lee Lambert as the new love interest whilst Clark is dating Diana would be equivocal to falling off that tight rope without a safety net.

I agree, there's already going to be enough baggage dealing with establishing how Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship factors into the new Truth status quo. So how will Tomasi establish the sub-plot of Lana and Steel's disappearance? Especially since he hasn't written Lana before and only has what Pak did with the character to go on (aka make her into Lois Lane 2.0 with a science/engineering background instead.)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

They're already in danger of falling off the tight rope with Truth, Lee Lambert as the new love interest whilst Clark is dating Diana would be equivocal to falling off that tight rope without a safety net.

I agree, there's already going to be enough baggage dealing with establishing how Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship factors into the new Truth status quo. So how will Tomasi establish the sub-plot of Lana and Steel's disappearance? Especially since he hasn't written Lana before and only has what Pak did with the character to go on (aka make her into Lois Lane 2.0 with a science/engineering background instead.)

I think Pak is just trying to introduce a break out character. A character he can do whatever he wants with and get royalties in case she sticks ;) He could just as well plan to kill a character and DC could have said no, so he has to build up first. Who knows. But I don't believe Superman will cheat. No way. Not Wonder Woman. Not in the age of Tumblr. There is gonna be a riot :P

Who knows? I just hope they don't focus on Lana and Steel. I think the relationship needs as much panel time it can get to get the approval of the public that thinks it is shallow.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Pak is just trying to introduce a break out character. A character he can do whatever he wants with and get royalties in case she sticks ;) He could just as well plan to kill a character and DC could have said no, so he has to build up first. Who knows. But I don't believe Superman will cheat. No way. Not Wonder Woman. Not in the age of Tumblr. There is gonna be a riot :P

Who knows? I just hope they don't focus on Lana and Steel. I think the relationship needs as much panel time it can get to get the approval of the public that thinks it is shallow.

Whether Lee Lambert's a breakout character remains to be seen. There's a long line of more famous and popular Superman characters with LL initials Pak has to compete with. But killing off a Superman character? Who do you think Pak would off? Does Pak have the influence for him to be able to kill whichever Superman character he wants to?

Tch they aren't convincing me of that relationship's viability any time soon but I can see why every page needs to convince other readers that Superman and Wonder Woman can work as a couple. Lana and Steel being kidnapped detracts from the main plot development even more than it needs to.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Whether Lee Lambert's a breakout character remains to be seen. There's a long line of more famous and popular Superman characters with LL initials Pak has to compete with. But killing off a Superman character? Who do you think Pak would off? Does Pak have the influence for him to be able to kill whichever Superman character he wants to?

Tch they aren't convincing me of that relationship's viability any time soon but I can see why every page needs to convince other readers that Superman and Wonder Woman can work as a couple. Lana and Steel being kidnapped detracts from the main plot development even more than it needs to.

Lana or Jimmy, probably. Well DC allows for more "creative writing" *cough sarcasm cough* now so even if he didn't before he can now. Or again, maybe he just wants the money, the royalties, the green, the paper, the cash. Amadeus Cho didn't sit badly for him.

Exactly. If you want to win detractors you give them what they feel you don't have. After all isn't that the point of "Truth" winning the "SuPerMan'z OP" crowed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon: It'd probably be Lana what with all the build up and 'development' Pak did for her. Could be Hiro though, few would suspect a minor character like Hiro would be offed.

Not just the Superman is OP crowd, I think they're also going for the 'Clark Kent is such a lame disguise' crowd.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: It'd probably be Lana what with all the build up and 'development' Pak did for her. Could be Hiro though, few would suspect a minor character like Hiro would be offed.

Not just the Superman is OP crowd, I think they're also going for the 'Clark Kent is such a lame disguise' crowd.

I don't believe to be Hiro due to the racial points :P DC has been going out of its way to introduce diversity so I find it illogical for Hiro to be killed.

I think that crowed isn't as big or as passionate or that you will gain enough sales boost to take such a risky move.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Ah you may have a point, killing off the racial minority might annoy a lot of people and plus Pak is hardly likely to kill off a character who's partially similar to someone from his fan favourite Hulk run. Should have thought that point through better.

Besides, Hiro's an unknown character anymore and killing him off won't cause enough controversy and consequently the sales rise from killing off a character.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Lmao. True

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Ah you may have a point, killing off the racial minority might annoy a lot of people and plus Pak is hardly likely to kill off a character who's partially similar to someone from his fan favourite Hulk run. Should have thought that point through better.

Besides, Hiro's an unknown character anymore and killing him off won't cause enough controversy and consequently the sales rise from killing off a character.

Exactly. It has to be someone big or someone that has been build up well. So I feel Lambert could be the one. Another woman for the fridge :P Anyway, this is all vague theories, lets not get lost in them, he probably won't kill anyone, after all I don't think he has in any of his previous runs.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Excited to read Tomasi's Lana, Pak's Jimmy and Luang's debut.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Creating a new character only to fridge them by the story's end, that would really irk female readers even more than Truth has done so already.

@superguy1591 It's Gene Luen Yang, not Luang bwtw, unless you were purposefully going for an abbreviation?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Creating a new character only to fridge them by the story's end, that would really irk female readers even more than Truth has done so already.

@superguy1591 It's Gene Luen Yang, not Luang bwtw, unless you were purposefully going for an abbreviation?

That's why I said all those are theories and we shouldn't be delving deep :P It does sound a bit far fetched. But then again, if you try to appeal to every one afraid of what anyone will say you wouldn't be able to tell a story.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Isn't that the same kind of thinking which has produced Truth in the first place? :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Isn't that the same kind of thinking which has produced Truth in the first place? :P

True :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: yes, Luang is an amalgamation when I get tired of saying GLY.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed Lana in Action :\ Are Lana and Steel a thing now?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: Yeah, ever since Post-Doomed, but it seems forced since Pak didn't develop it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they are. After Doomed, I think either Pak or Soule put them together as a new couple rather hastily. There could have been more time spent on this new romance and after Horrorville, it's kind of been forgotten.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @kidchipotle said:

Yeah they are. After Doomed, I think either Pak or Soule put them together as a new couple rather hastily. There could have been more time spent on this new romance and after Horrorville, it's kind of been forgotten.

That's kinda lame. Well that explains why she'll be in SM/WW instead of Action now...I hope Soule treats her well.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @kidchipotle said:

That's kinda lame. Well that explains why she'll be in SM/WW instead of Action now...I hope Soule treats her well.

Tomasi writes Sm/Ww now :)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle said:
    @lvenger said:
    @kidchipotle said:

I haven't read any of his run but he turned out of favor in my eyes during his final couple Batman and Robin arcs.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

I haven't read any of his run but he turned out of favor in my eyes during his final couple Batman and Robin arcs.

His early B&R arcs were good too. His first arc in Sm/Ww lacked that spark though.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

What comic is this from? Or is this fan art?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle said:
    @squalleon said:

His early B&R arcs were good too. His first arc in Sm/Ww lacked that spark though.

I'll second that response, his B&R series has been consistently solid and Born to Kill is a superb read IMO. Not so much with his Superman/Wonder Woman stuff, especially on depicting Wonder Woman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @kidchipotle said:
    @squalleon said:

I'll second that response, his B&R series has been consistently solid and Born to Kill is a superb read IMO. Not so much with his Superman/Wonder Woman stuff, especially on depicting Wonder Woman.

Well, the pacing is the worst part imo. At one point it is moving very quickly and at the other not at all.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Pacing's also not so good to be sure, certain scenes and dialogue does drag for longer than it should. But for me, it's Tomasi's stark contrast between writing Superman and Wonder Woman. In his first arc, Superman was the nice, considerate guy looking out for people in taxis on bridges alike whereas Wonder Woman was the impatient, fierce warrior lacking in understanding. Wonder Woman's supposed to be more than that, more nuanced and complex as a character, so Tomasi's writing was way too on the nose. Though it does fit with most of New 52 Wonder Woman's previous depictions, Johns has only just gotten around to writing Wonder Woman well for a change by The Amazo Virus and Darkseid War, so Tomasi may have a while to go.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Pacing's also not so good to be sure, certain scenes and dialogue does drag for longer than it should. But for me, it's Tomasi's stark contrast between writing Superman and Wonder Woman. In his first arc, Superman was the nice, considerate guy looking out for people in taxis on bridges alike whereas Wonder Woman was the impatient, fierce warrior lacking in understanding. Wonder Woman's supposed to be more than that, more nuanced and complex as a character, so Tomasi's writing was way too on the nose. Though it does fit with most of New 52 Wonder Woman's previous depictions, Johns has only just gotten around to writing Wonder Woman well for a change by The Amazo Virus and Darkseid War, so Tomasi may have a while to go.

Did you read the title? I thought you didn't.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I assuredly don't, I've just seen some of the scans online and in the New 52 Superman respect thread. Plus, there's this...link I've found where I can read recent comics within the last few years.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I assuredly don't, I've just seen some of the scans online and in the New 52 Superman respect thread. Plus, there's this...link I've found where I can read recent comics within the last few years.

Ah! Now I get it. It made no sense for you to buy that title :P

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting I wonder what's going to happen with Lois and Clark now that she outed him as the big blue Boy Scout

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By arthurkerr

Cannot stand Lana Lang Smallville killed that for me. Always crying about something wow. I was hoping she would die every show. Just be like why did he save her please let her die lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cannot stand Lana Lang Smallville killed that for me. Always crying about something wow. I was hoping she would die every show. Just be like why did he save her please let her die lol.

Despite my indifference towards Pak's run, Pak's Lana is slightly more tolerable than Smallville's wetsop Lana even if she is a carbon copy of Lois Lane.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.