Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can the Superman comics be saved?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redwingx

The have been so average/bad for years now. It's frustrating.

It seems like Batman is getting all the love...

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Both Superman comics are good.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

DC/Marvel tend to be mediocre with their A-listers, because there is not much you can do if you are afraid to remotely tackle the status quo.

And I don't see where you are coming from Superman had as much good stories as Batman since the new 52. Yes there was a dark time when Lobdell was the main Superman writer but don't forget there was a period that The dark knight was written by Finch and Detective Comics by Daniels!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I do my part. I write reviews and made a blog about Pak's Superman work. It seems to be getting people interested.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@redwingx: Well Pak's run has been doing justice to Superman.

His titles Action Comics, Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman he is written great. And I hear his title Superman has really improved after Lobdell stoped writing.

Supes is getting just as much love as Bats, their practically carrying DC at this point.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kfabz-23

I think his comics are fine right now

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@redwingx said:

It seems like Batman is getting all the love...

That's cause he is.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Honestly I don't know. On the one hand current Superman is a shadow and a broken shell of his former self in character, heroism, nobility, idealism and empathy etc etc Outside of Morrison for brief moments in his Action Comics run and Scott Snyder in early Unchained issues, I haven't felt truly riveted or excited or inspired by Superman as a character for 3 years now in the New 52. That's a big disappointment and failure in my eyes as a big fan.

On the other hand, I don't know what can realistically be done to improve Superman atm. DC clearly don't want a Pre Flashpoint characterisation because Warner Bros seem to be think that version of Superman isn't marketable. Being stuck in an endless cycle of Superman trying to learn to be who he's supposed to be is far more maddening and dissatisfying than being stuck with a mature, experienced and confident Superman we had before. It's a sticky situation and one that's had me down about current comics' treatment of Superman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't see why they would need saving when both main series have been doing great and so far their storylines are incredibly interesting and good. I would've said that Superman needed saving a year and a half ago maybe, when Lobdell was still on the book and Action Comics wasnt doing any better because Lobdell was there also.

Superman as a character needs to be saved. The public doesn;t seem to be that interested into him and maybe that's one of the reasons the writers arent even trying or at least I think so. Everyone is overlooking SUperman and he is no longer the symbol of DC comics and heroes anymore. DC are not giving him the attention he deserves because they know Batman is a money-making machine and it seems pointless to put any effort of pushing any other essential character, and that is a really bad moto.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Superman comics are good.

You speak the truth. Currently I think both Superman comics are good, with potential for greatness.

@lvenger

Morrison's run was going on for 1 and a half year, that means that half the time New 52 Superman was on he had a really strong storyline to follow. Then you have Unchained, Pak's and Johns's runs which while they aren't classics(yet) and certaintly not great(yet), they are more than enjoyable stories and better than the quality we got since the New krypton saga, which all went downhill after.

Lets not get lost into the negativity here. New 52 Superman had at least one good issue pre month, that is actually a very good feat :)

And titles like Batman/Superman sucked pre-52 too. So not much of a change there :P

Classics aren't born so easily. Plus with Johns at the helm, I am sure a very very good Superman story is underway.

I agree on the constant, learning curve though, it is overplayed and boring at this point. Especially when there are so many different versions doing it at the same time.

@saint_wildcard I don't think your reviews can change the quality of a comic :P The OP meant in terms of quality not sales.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard I don't think your reviews can change the quality of a comic :P The OP meant in terms of quality not sales.

Meh, not how I read it.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

well they insist on making Superman an angry fighter that likes to punch things all the time, so if they aren't planning on breaking that routine, then no.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Superman comics have been great, and Superman Unchained was just collected into an awesome hard cover.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think both Superman titles have been pretty good lately.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@saint_wildcard said:

Meh, not how I read it.

('>_>) Umm...

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman hasn't has a great book since Morrison's All Star Superman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Meh, not how I read it.

('>_>) Umm...

I only read titles, and then saw Batman. So I assumed sales, but if he meant that the comics are average, well I'm not even going to reply to such a silly comment.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, Morrison's run in Action is more than worthy of the word great. Especially the first arc and issues 0,9 and 13.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I didn't even like All Star.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently BM/SM is amazing and written the best, but the horror vibe in AC is so damn enjoyable. SM/WW is also fun, but not epic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently BM/SM is amazing and written the best, but the horror vibe in AC is so damn enjoyable. SM/WW is also fun, but not epic.

Liar:

well I'm not even going to reply to such a silly comment.

I still don't get how you love that mess that is Batman/Superman...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

Superman and AC are great right now. Even SM/BM is quite enjoyable.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Liar:

Any comic that can make me almost tear up deserves my praise. The mystery and the villains taunting are great. The way Superman deals with the deaths of certain characters was great and his interaction with Lex was golden. Even the SM/BM team dynamic has come a long way since they were young and reckless. But the main difference me and you have, is that I don't get upset by cliches unless I find the story boring (like in Unchained or Avatar). If I enjoy the interactions by the characters and what they are going for I tend to ignore cliches (and as long as they aren't blatantly obvious). I also haven't read hundreds of arcs, so all these stories are new to me. Plus Pak's Clark is the major component that makes it work for me

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Nah... more readers and critics would disagree with you. His run on action was some of his most mediocre work an isn't close to All Star Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: Nah... more readers and critics would disagree with you. His run on action was some of his most mediocre work an isn't close to All Star Superman.

Not really. The first arc took great reviews(note the word arc, meaning issues 1-4,7-8) and issue 13 and 9 were considered some of the best one-shots of the year. What critics didn't like was the filler issues for Rags Morales to finish his works.

And yes the second and third arc were convoluted but they were magnificent. And I agree that All Star is far better but the first arc and issue 13 of Morrison's run were not very far behind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

That's because you have terrible opinions.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

That's because you have terrible opinions.

Stay out of this DM13 *slaps across the face*

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Perhaps they are enjoyable to most it would seem but I haven't had the level of connection or respect for New 52 Superman that I had for his prior incarnations. I just hope Johns has something good up his sleeve because goodness knows Superman could use a really good and memorable story in the New 52 like Snyder's Batman run or Azzarello's Wonder Woman epic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Perhaps they are enjoyable to most it would seem but I haven't had the level of connection or respect for New 52 Superman that I had for his prior incarnations. I just hope Johns has something good up his sleeve because goodness knows Superman could use a really good and memorable story in the New 52 like Snyder's Batman run or Azzarello's Wonder Woman epic.

Well you need time to connect with Supes . Personally my biggest gripe is the learning curve, its just a endless cycle of self-doubt and self-hatred and up to this point so I am not enjoying it, especially from a five years in the job Superman(not to mention the elseworlds, MoS and Grounded). I feel DC didn't even know what to do with him but with Johns on the helm, I am pretty sure we will get a stable status quo and hopefully a good one. But it is a positive note for me that DC went "please save Superman" to Johns, it seems DC finally understood, "yeah...because a character is popular it doesn't mean his comic will sell with a shitty writer".

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish then for Superman’s comics to always be at least as “average/bad” as they’re now. Pak, while isn’t on Morrison’s level, is killing it in AC, his BM/SM is also pretty great; Johns is Johns, nuff said; not sure about relationship aspect of Tomasi’s work, but his characters’ interaction, banter, reader fanservice are certainly nice.

There are just three things I would like to see changed regarding current state of things for New-52 Superman:

1. Get Romita Jr. off Superman book and replace him with someone from Lobdell’s ran’ artists (preferably Kenneth Rocafort);

2. Discontinue Injustice book asap (sadly it won’t happen);

3. Make it DC’ official policy – Superman shouldn’t get guest-appearances in pure Batman’s titles (and vice versa).

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Honestly I don't know. On the one hand current Superman is a shadow and a broken shell of his former self in character, heroism, nobility, idealism and empathy etc etc Outside of Morrison for brief moments in his Action Comics run and Scott Snyder in early Unchained issues, I haven't felt truly riveted or excited or inspired by Superman as a character for 3 years now in the New 52. That's a big disappointment and failure in my eyes as a big fan.

On the other hand, I don't know what can realistically be done to improve Superman atm. DC clearly don't want a Pre Flashpoint characterisation because Warner Bros seem to be think that version of Superman isn't marketable. Being stuck in an endless cycle of Superman trying to learn to be who he's supposed to be is far more maddening and dissatisfying than being stuck with a mature, experienced and confident Superman we had before. It's a sticky situation and one that's had me down about current comics' treatment of Superman.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Well you need time to connect with Supes . Personally my biggest gripe is the learning curve, its just a endless cycle of self-doubt and self-hatred and up to this point so I am not enjoying it, especially from a five years in the job Superman(not to mention the elseworlds, MoS and Grounded). I feel DC didn't even know what to do with him but with Johns on the helm, I am pretty sure we will get a stable status quo and hopefully a good one. But it is a positive note for me that DC went "please save Superman" to Johns, it seems DC finally understood, "yeah...because a character is popular it doesn't mean his comic will sell with a shitty writer".

That's just one of my gripes personally. But maybe you've got something with DC's promises and claims to actually pay attention to Superman and promote him a bit more. It's just no one's getting Superman the way I like him, not Johns, not Tomasi, not Pak.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zandalf

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

This.

There are other people over there that didn't like very much Grant Morrison on AC? I really feel sometimes that people have such an high opinion of his recent run just because he is Morrison,and not thanks to the real merits of his latest work on the character. I have to say that i really prefer Greg Pak,for the stories,the characterization and hell for pretty much everything,but maybe i am not judging objectively since i couldn't stand the Rag Morales's art while i love Kuder's.

However now i think that all the Superman's title are pretty good,i am just worried about Geoff Jhons: his run so far is good but not exceptional,the art isn't great either and i really don't like much the idea of the new power and costume: i think it is a bit too soon for this move,this Superman is still new,probably this event has the only scope to bring in new readers and nothing else. I am not saying that i won't follow the title though!

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I do not think Superman comics even needs saving.

Its doing pretty good.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main problem and maybe the most relevant, it's that Superman stopped surprising the readers. Pretty much everything that has been done in the New 52, has already been done before, with a few exceptions of course.

For a character with the potential that Superman has, I honestly believe that people expected more from him. Not just has his Superman identity but also has his human persona. Both these sides of Kal life are going everywhere with no clear destination.

They did the easiest thing, that was breaking up the Clark and Lois cycle, and the suit, but instead of continuing to push the character further they stagnated and sometimes even gone back to what was done before the New 52 in order to save skin.

This to me has been the biggest problem with New 52 Superman, and although some writers added a few interesting things, truth is that they're not nearly enough, and even the writers most people expected the biggest changes brought almost nothing to the table.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Squalleon

The main problem and maybe the most relevant, it's that Superman stopped surprising the readers. Pretty much everything that has been done in the New 52, has already been done before, with a few exceptions of course.

For a character with the potential that Superman has, I honestly believe that people expected more from him. Not just has his Superman identity but also has his human persona. Both these sides of Kal life are going everywhere with no clear destination.

They did the easiest thing, that was breaking up the Clark and Lois cycle, and the suit, but instead of continuing to push the character further they stagnated and sometimes even gone back to what was done before the New 52 in order to save skin.

This to me has been the biggest problem with New 52 Superman, and although some writers added a few interesting things, truth is that they're not nearly enough, and even the writers most people expected the biggest changes brought almost nothing to the table.

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

This.

There are other people over there that didn't like very much Grant Morrison on AC? I really feel sometimes that people have such an high opinion of his recent run just because he is Morrison,and not thanks to the real merits of his latest work on the character.

If you saw my reply you would see I spoke of certain parts of it.

Yes the run wasn't consistent but there were moments of brilliance in it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Self-DCeit

They can get better, of course (Top 10 better, ideally). But "saving" is something the Superman line really doesn't need right now.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#46  Edited By Endanger

@redwingx said:

So you're saying Pak, Rucka, Robinson, Morrison, Johns are trash?

On comicbookroundup (imdb for comics), Action Comics is receiving a 7.7, Adventures of Superman also 7.7 and Superman is receiving a 6.6. That's above average/good territory.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger: Robinson didn't do a good job writing Superman on his own IMO and it's also my view that the World of New Krypton mini series was good mainly due to Greg Rucka's influence as he's written for Superman before. Johns' Pre New 52 Superman work has been awesome but his current story is kinda boring and slow paced, it needs more passion and grandeur in it.

Finally as for Pak, the majority consensus do seem to like him but there are a few fans, myself included, who aren't sold on what Pak is doing. Not to detract from the work he's doing but I find his interpretation of Superman, a simple naive farmboy with a temper tantrum who's willing to kill as a last resort, to not encapsulate the core of Superman's character. It's better than the early New 52 stuff but Pak's Action Comics is still overrated IMO compared to his superior Marvel work on Hulk and Hercules.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx:

I don't know what you're talking about. Action Comics has been consistently good since the start.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh enough with this Superman victim complex all ready! sheesh..so he's not as popular as Batman big deal! He's still Superman, he's still one of the most popular characters in the world. And every book that stars Superman right now has been really strong, look at the writers that are handling him: Geoff Johns (Superman), Peter Tomasi (Superman/Wonder Woman), Greg Pack (Action Comics, Batman/Superman), Scott Snyder (Superman Unchained). So stop whining.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.