Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman destroy the Earth?

• 56 results
    Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's basically the questions and I'm talking about really destroying it in a matter of seconds / minutes. Not about flying from continent to continent and divebombing into them, or erasing them with heat vison. I'm talking about serious mass destruction.

Can Superman hover above the Earth, shoot a heat vision and erase the entire planet? Or cut if in half? Can he stand on the Earth, punch it few times and destroy it? Can he at least fly intot he outer space, gather momentum and speedblitz through the planet and making it explode?

You can use the standard Superman (post Silver Age). Pre 52, or post 52, whatever you like.Also I'm not interested in theories. It would be nice if you can back it up with something, you basically already know that I don't believe he can do it.

Thanks in advance, brotatoes!

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SPM1M

i believe Pre 52 supes certainly could there is plenty of support in my belief.

He has busted moons on two occasions one of saturn's moons and dark moon,

He has stated to black adam that he could have split the moon in half with a single blow,

Stated in his fight with Konvict that he was hitting Konvict with blows that could shatter small planets while he was on the defensive

Stated one other time that he could shatter planets with his bare hands

He once destroyed Earth 2 as collateral in his fight with earth 2 superman during infinite crisis

I do belief without any restraint he could certainly destroy the earth with a few blows or even with heat vision as it has been shown he could bathe the entire earth in it, to what temperatures exactly? well thats up for debate

Other versions of superman that could easily planet bust

Silver Age Superman (thats a given), Prime One Million(more than likely), CA Superman,

Other Supermen that can

Kal Kent, Superman Prime, im sure there are others

as for new 52 he has had great strength feats but actual feats showing his destructive power, that i havent seen yet

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This goes for Pre 52. Not really sure with New 52.

I don't think he can slice it in half with heat vision. I know he can heat up the whole planet with just his heat vision but I doubt he can scorch the whole crust.

He can shoot his heat vision and direct it unto the core and get the earth to explode.

He can ram at near light speed and do an infinity mass punch towards the core.

organikz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about without any opposition? Like he just gets to fly up into space and do what he likes? Then yeah, should be pretty easy for him to total the Earth. I don't think his heat vision would be enough to do it considering that the lasers are only the width of his eyes and that would probably take forever to slice the Earth in half in such a way but "speedblitzing" through the planet would certainly be one of the quicker methods.

Punching the Earth a few times wouldn't do it. Think about it, he's slammed people into the ground before and it hasn't caused the Earth to implode on itself so why would a few punches do it?

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman could definitely do this.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strongarm

easily

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@organikz said:

I don't think his heat vision would be enough to do it considering that the lasers are only the width of his eyes

No Caption Provided

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

New 52, no. Different versions of supes yes.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath said:

@sheenlantern: Wasn't he amped there?

I don't know, but it was in response to the idea that his Heat Vision couldn't encompass a planet because his eyes aren't big enough.

Unless this amp (If he even was amped) makes his eyes bigger, the scan is still relevant.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hart7668

Well, Supes could go about it a couple ways. One, he could fly through the Earth traveling faster than light, thus destroying its core. Or, he could simply dive straight to the core and try to break it there.

I dunno. It's not like he has a Kamehameha wave to shoot at the planet.

StudentOfJorEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where did Superman Destroyed Earth 2 like the actual planet in Infinite Crisis

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lightsout

We can basically figure out the speed he'd need to blitz the earth with to create the amount of energy needed to destroy a planet**. This is just assuming kinetic energy via velocity & mass, which obviously Superman generates power via different means because his punches & such are more powerful than these rules would allow (he likely psionically reduced the mass of the objects he's hitting, making them more vulnerable to damage)

Anyhoo, we take 2.25 x 10^32 joules of energy needed to destroy the earth, & given Superman's weight of 106.59kg (235lbs), we get 2,054,657,583,764,003.5 m/s flight-speed needed (that's 15 zeros, aka quadrillion). Which is roughly 6.9 million times the speed of light...so..this just isn't going to happen PURELY by KE derived via mass going in motion. But given Superboy Prime was going to fly into Oa to destroy it, I'd just imagine Superman could do the same to Earth (given however he's actually accomplishing all the feats he does).

**which I found in an article theorizing how much energy would the death-star need to blow up the earth (and it's assuming the earth is solid all the way through)

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think entities like The Spectre, Swamp Thing, or any Green Lantern would let him.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Yes.

StudentOfJorEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spm1m: Could you show me a scan of Superman Destroying Earth 2 (Actual planet)

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because he protects it

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By consolemaster001

pre 52-yes

PC- yes

52- No

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why superman should be destroy earth?that not superman

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

if he wants to destroy the earth in seconds, he needs only reach his top speed in atmosphere because earth can't resist his speed energy conduit

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman could bench the Earth's weight for days without sustainable and could deliver punches into a more powerful Kryptonian that were so strong, the shockwaves of the punch could be felt from the Earth's core to the outermost exosphere. Superman most definitely could destroy the Earth.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If Scott Lobdell was writing it, yes.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why people love superman destroy earth???are you crazy???superman never did it,if he was do it.that not superman anymore

I'm more want to see superman move some planets

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: I believe they're meaning does he have the capability (on paper, based on his strength/durability) - not whether the character would actually want to.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: That like strong man has the ability to rape woman

The same logic, disturbing information

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FlakeKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty easily....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377
    deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

Yes, fairly easily. His IMP possesses the ability to destroy multiple large planets. Earth is a small planet.

Cognitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can, but DC rarely let their mainstream heroes do stuff like that, unlike Marvel.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any hero of that tier can destroy the earth. They just don't because it's stupid. Heck wonder woman can probably destroy the earth.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Current Reborn Superman might not be able to destroy the Earth.

Current Reborn Superman took several hits, I mean pre-reborn Superman could hardly handle being close to the Earth core, less alone its core. While Pre-New52 and New 52 could handle that like it was nothing.

But Reborn Superman was shown recently he not only can't move faster than light (Flash#49) but in the last issue of Man of Steel he again showed some discomfort being in Earth's core.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this current Superman could not destroy the Earth. I mean even his kid, DC Comics keeps showing he's already more powerful than Superman in many ways. He only really lacks invulnerability and that's it, he surpasses Superman in terms of power.

HonikerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Where did any of that come from? What was, sold...

You know it was, people trying to imagine, what was real? How do you, become the best Superman writer there is... if you do this?

Ask, not for theories, or actually just knowings, but what was, said was said? They're not history lessons, they're... No, t

The answer is no, Super horse would stop him. There's, evidence of that. He's even faster than Krypto? Yeah, he is.

Killmonger101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Atomickitten15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, he can't do it.

The one feat on this scale he has is the Shadow Moon feat and that's a huuuuge outlier. For a guy that couldn't beat Deathstrokes Ikon Suit, I don't think he could destroy a planet.

A small moon at most, it's all he's really shown consistently.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
    ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any hero of that tier can destroy the earth. They just don't because it's stupid. Heck wonder woman can probably destroy the earth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-crisis Superman can. The thing is they are not writing Superman properly because ^ .

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
    Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, yes they can.

qwertyuiop1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sure,in justice league v2(pre)superman and hal pulled earth off sun,superman not only need to overcome earth's mass but also he need overcome starbreaker's power,starbreaker deastroyed many galaxies

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many heroes can. In supermans case he would just need to blitz through the earth... shattering it

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb
    deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From power level point of view, depens. Silver Age, One Million Prime and the Pre Flashpoint Superman could do it with ease. Golden Age, Post Crisis, New 52 Superman can't.

From a moral point of view, none version (except Injustice Supes) would not dare to touch Earth.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@minerboh80 said:

From power level point of view, depens. Silver Age, One Million Prime and the Pre Flashpoint Superman could do it with ease. Golden Age, Post Crisis, New 52 Superman can't.

From a moral point of view, none version (except Injustice Supes) would not dare to touch Earth.

Beyond false. Golden Age (one of the most powerful versions, who has said on more than one occassion that he is Pre-Crisis' equal), Post-Crisis, and New 52 are all planet busters and higher. All are capable of moving at MFTL speeds and barreling into a planet. Post-Crisis has been references multiple times as being planet-level. New 52 has benched weight equal to that of Earth for 5 days straight without breaking a sweat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb
    deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: Golden Age couldn't even fly and he didn't had his optic powers. He was more ruthless but he was not that powerful

Post Crisis (John Burne era up to the Death story) was depowered, everyone could see it. He had trouble saving a plane and he was even defeated by c level villains.

Silver Age was something close to be a god, along with All Star (which was a tribute to the Silver Age) and Pre Flashpoint was strong enough to perform impressive features (every time he didn't went against Batman that is).

I can see your point regarding New 52 but he was not that powerful in Action Comics no1, during the Grand Morrison era and just before Rebirth. During his Truth era up to the Final Days he was suffering from major power loss (partially thanks to that Solar Flare ability)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.