Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman breath in space?

• 115 results
    ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By ComicStooge

He doesn't need to breathe at all.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#102  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

He holds his breathe.

Rojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Rojay
    I would say it depends on the writers, i mean when i was small i believe he could breath in space due to the fact that he always goes there to clear his head and in this photo he brings Lois to space, operating under the script that superman has an invisible aura that can protect him in space and those that he holds once he bend his will to it. Furthermore, i have read and watch scenarios where an explanation is given to as why his costume never get torn or pierce during war,gunshots and most battles . One of the main argument was that of the protective aura that surrounds him, is the same aura that give him the ability to be guarded from elements of space,water and from most attacks . This to me simple means that this aura that protects him from any uncontrollable harm such as from just being in space, therefore, his aura would protect him in space, preventing him from suffocating . Some writers say the original superman was way too powerful, up to the point where they could not find any challenge for him so it is obvious that writers have tone his powers way down to a laughable state. Some edition says when Superman is in space he can hold his breath for hours, some say he can breath in space, some says he can't and some says the aura can protect him from suffocation, some says all aliens can breath in space.So i believe that the diversity of the different writers were aimed to suit the different views of the different viewers. i personally like the aura story because to me it make sense, so again it depends on your views of the amazing iconic character. I am a huge fan of superman and so i am planning to write my own version of Superman and make my own adjustments.
    I would say it depends on the writers, i mean when i was small i believe he could breath in space due to the fact that he always goes there to clear his head and in this photo he brings Lois to space, operating under the script that superman has an invisible aura that can protect him in space and those that he holds once he bend his will to it. Furthermore, i have read and watch scenarios where an explanation is given to as why his costume never get torn or pierce during war,gunshots and most battles . One of the main argument was that of the protective aura that surrounds him, is the same aura that give him the ability to be guarded from elements of space,water and from most attacks . This to me simple means that this aura that protects him from any uncontrollable harm such as from just being in space, therefore, his aura would protect him in space, preventing him from suffocating . Some writers say the original superman was way too powerful, up to the point where they could not find any challenge for him so it is obvious that writers have tone his powers way down to a laughable state. Some edition says when Superman is in space he can hold his breath for hours, some say he can breath in space, some says he can't and some says the aura can protect him from suffocation, some says all aliens can breath in space.So i believe that the diversity of the different writers were aimed to suit the different views of the different viewers. i personally like the aura story because to me it make sense, so again it depends on your views of the amazing iconic character. I am a huge fan of superman and so i am planning to write my own version of Superman and make my own adjustments.
    stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By stephens2177

if he doesnt need to eat,or sleep,why not go the whole way,and say he doesnt need to breathe at all.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By PowerHerc

@Vrakmul said:

Superman doesn't breathe in space, he doesn't need to breathe at all.

This.

barashkafromRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomsday can survive in space, so does Superman

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#107  Edited By 2cool4fun

No, but superman does not need to bread, or eat, or drink. All he needs is the sun.

Avatar image for whowatchesthewatchmen
    Whowatchesthewatchmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SUperman/batman supergirl(michael Turner)

I believe imperiex war for number 2(ed mcguinnes)

For tommorow(jim lee) is the last one not sure about the one before that

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@smashbrawler

Superman hasnt needed to breathe in a while. There's one scan that shows him using a breathing apparatus. there are far more that show him talking in space.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman unchained suggests that he would need to get air eventually

He more than likely can hold his breath for long periods at a time

But eventually he would need to breath

Also there is nothing to breathe in space so this argument is pretty silly

There is no air to breathe in space as well as you can't talk in space

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Why did you reply to me in this thread? Talk about random.

But yeah, I guess plenty of writers over the years forgot to use their brains when writing Superman.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Depends on the writer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

What's silly is the fact that you don't utilize proper punctuation.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@sog7dc: Why did you reply to me in this thread? Talk about random.

But yeah, I guess plenty of writers over the years forgot to use their brains when writing Superman.

I figured it would be easier to reply to you here than post a bunch of scans in the other one

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:
    @l3g3ndarypheonix said:

What's silly is the fact that you don't utilize proper punctuation.

Watch out guys we got a grammar Nazi over here

-____-

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

hulksmash134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By hulksmash134

@the_man_of_tomorrow: He travelled from the end of the universe to Earth in 60 days, so clearly not. I'm pretty sure it's unlimited, Superman doesn't need to breathe.

JoeTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most incarnations can. John Byrne's is the only notable version that I can think of that couldn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.