Yes

#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Yes"
TheDrifter said:
"Yes"
-_-
#6 Posted by Fae (805 posts) - - Show Bio

What would he breathe in while in space?

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

space air

#8 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Fae said:
"What would he breathe in while in space?"
the absence of matter
#9 Posted by King of Hearts 11987 (166 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought he could.

#10 Posted by Erik (31439 posts) - - Show Bio

He holds his breath. He can possibly hold his breath forever though so he might as well be breathing "space air".

#11 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman doesn't breathe in space, he doesn't need to breathe at all.

#12 Posted by Erik (31439 posts) - - Show Bio
Dreadnaught said:
"Superman doesn't breathe in space, he doesn't need to breathe at all."
Now I would not go as far as saying that. Before they really came up with the whole holding his breath bit, he used a re-breather when he went into deep space.
#13 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"space air"
There is no air in space, it was Buckshot is saying.

And no, he doesn't, because you can't breath in space. He has super-stamina, which last for a long time, possible a few hours.
Superman #677.

#14 Posted by The Man of Tomorrow (403 posts) - - Show Bio

So is the conclusion that he can hold his breath for just a few hours?

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

It actually depends on the writer (like everything else). He's said before that he was shown how to do it, but then there's stuff like was posted above (which makes more sense) that shows he can't. 

"Space air" lqtm.
#16 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Superman can be in space without needing to breath, however he needed Hal's "bubble" to have the conversation as there's no sound in space, just a theory though

#17 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
he needed Hal's "bubble" to have the conversation as there's no sound in space, just a theory though"
makes sense
#18 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can hold his breath for a long time. His body is able to survive the vaccum of space, but if he is out there for two long(could take weeks or longer maybe) he will need to enter an atmosphere to catch his breath. He can't talk in space without an aid, since sound doesn't travel in space.

#19 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"Superman can hold his breath for a long time. His body is able to survive the vaccum of space, but if he is out there for two long(could take weeks or longer maybe) he will need to enter an atmosphere to catch his breath. He can't talk in space without an aid, since sound doesn't travel in space."
You need oxygen for sound to travel, that's why he can't talk in space without a bubble.
#20 Posted by lordraiden (6895 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if he holds his breath :-)

#21 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio
Supreme Marvel said:
"Nobody said:
"Superman can hold his breath for a long time. His body is able to survive the vaccum of space, but if he is out there for two long(could take weeks or longer maybe) he will need to enter an atmosphere to catch his breath. He can't talk in space without an aid, since sound doesn't travel in space."
You need oxygen for sound to travel, that's why he can't talk in space without a bubble."
You don't need *beep* oxygen, any material will do. 
#22 Edited by Quintus_Knightfall (84365 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"It actually depends on the writer (like everything else). He's said before that he was shown how to do it, but then there's stuff like was posted above (which makes more sense) that shows he can't. 
"Space air" lqtm.
"

Agreed. There are several instances where Superman is clearly talking in space, then there are others where he admits or is shown holding his breath. Mongul trained Superman on how to hold his breath before the Imperiax Wars for deep space battles.

caption

caption

caption

"Impossible to Breath in Space"

#23 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio
The Man of Tomorrow said:
"Just wanted to see what you guys think."
Hell no
#24 Posted by Tracks (144 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah like the guy said mongol taught him how to breath in space, it's not possible but he does it.

#25 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Dreadnaught said:
"Supreme Marvel said:
"Nobody said:
You need oxygen for sound to travel, that's why he can't talk in space without a bubble."
You don't need *beep* oxygen, any material will do. "
Sound can't travel is a vacuum is what I meant.
#26 Posted by knife (59 posts) - - Show Bio

In the old DC universe Superman could hold his breath a very LONNNNGGG time. But after the 80's revise he could hold his breath but not as long because the re-creator John Bryne wanted Superman to be more human.

#27 Edited by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman after COIE could hold his breath for several hours, but not indefinitely, and eventually he would suffocate.

However, Mongul taught him the technique for "recycling" air inside him, so he can basically hold his breath indefinitely.

#28 Posted by King Saturn (223723 posts) - - Show Bio
Yes Indeed.... The Man of Steel can breath in Space
#29 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

There is nothing to breath in space......You can't talk in space.....Unless the DC universe has some substance in space that our doesn't have.

#30 Posted by Ptero (184 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought that he held his breath and drew extra energy from yellow suns.. no real source, it was just my assumption.

#31 Posted by The Morningstar (159 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought he needed some kind of mask. Another good question would be how does he fly in space.. I mean once you stop moving there is nothing to help get you moving again. Although I guess you can say he uses the slight gravitational fields that fill the void.

#32 Posted by VillainousV (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

No one can breathe in space............there's no oxygen up there............at best he just holds his breath for a really long time.............like Invincible did.............

#33 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

he can't "breath" but who says he needs even when inside the Earth? I mean, we don't know how kryptonians work

#34 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wanted him to be Self-Sustenance, but he said in an issue that he can hold his breath for a long time.

I think that's one of the major reasons for him using a Flight Ring. So he can battle in space without the need to replenish his oxygen supply.

Breathing in space, try speaking while swallowing, that's why breathing in space will be like.

#35 Edited by Shonen (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Inconsistency

I've seen superman talk in space. Based on diffusion principle the air should diffuse out of his body and he should die. Why doesn''t this happen ?

Also even if superman has Hal's bubble once he uses up all the air in his body how can he makes sounds. really ?

#36 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
AtPhantom said:
"Superman after COIE could hold his breath for several hours, but not indefinitely, and eventually he would suffocate.

However, Mongul taught him the technique for "recycling" air inside him, so he can basically hold his breath indefinitely."
#37 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

What issues where they from? I wanna read them and see who the writer was and if it's even New Earth Superman and not Earth 1, 2 etc.

#38 Posted by Shonen (692 posts) - - Show Bio
AtPhantom said:
"AtPhantom said:
"Superman after COIE could hold his breath for several hours, but not indefinitely, and eventually he would suffocate.

However, Mongul taught him the technique for "recycling" air inside him, so he can basically hold his breath indefinitely."
"Recycle air huh that makes no sense at all.
#39 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Explained scientifically it could. But I'm still waiting in who the writer was for Superman at the time.

#40 Posted by Shonen (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Explain the science of recycling air in a body that requires air to survive.

#41 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
Shonen said:
"AtPhantom said:
"AtPhantom said:

"A lot of things in comics don't make sense at all.
#42 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Shonen said:
"Explain the science of recycling air in a body that requires air to survive."
I didn't say I could. It could be to do with the in take and out take of oxygen, like what a machine does to recycle oxygen or a flower.

AtPhantom said:
"Shonen said:
"AtPhantom said:
"AtPhantom said:

"

Maybe in Marvel

But DC try to use science behind what can be used as science expect Magic, because that's well, Magic.
#43 Posted by Shonen (692 posts) - - Show Bio
Supreme Marvel said:
"Shonen said:
"Explain the science of recycling air in a body that requires air to survive."
I didn't say I could. It could be to do with the in take and out take of oxygen, like what a machine does to recycle oxygen or a flower.

AtPhantom said:
"Shonen said:
"AtPhantom said:
"AtPhantom said:

"

Maybe in Marvel

But DC try to use science behind what can be used as science expect Magic, because that's well, Magic.
"

That still doesn't make any sense

Also why is it superman doesn't die from the pressure of blood in his bodies like a normal person would if they were plucked in space.
#44 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

meh, It depends on the writer and in the scans it depends on the mediocrity of the man who wrote in the comic that there is something to breathe in space. what the hell is he breathing, zero gravity? cosmic radiation?

But also is the comic world, well, when was the last time you saw a man flying in real life? so I wouldn't be impress if he did breathe... uhh... something in space XD 

#45 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal experience in that it depends on the writer... Several times in the past, Superman has required outside equipment to breathe in space for long periods of time, such as during Superman: Exile where he actually had to land every so often to reful his ozygen tanks from a breathable atmosphere...

M

Shonen said:
Also even if superman has Hal's bubble once he uses up all the air in his body how can he makes sounds. really ?"

the green forcefields of a Green Lantern actually create air and warmth to keep the body alive in space... that's how Green Lanterns travel in space normally...

M
#46 Posted by RedGhostman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Superman: Exile. It explains a lot.

#47 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
He didn't seem to have any problems in the Justice League Game

[=
#48 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and no.

#49 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman always fills up his lungs before leaving a planet's(which has oxygen) atmosphere. 

He doesn't need to breathe in space.
#50 Edited by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Buckshot said:
"It actually depends on the writer (like everything else). He's said before that he was shown how to do it, but then there's stuff like was posted above (which makes more sense) that shows he can't. 
"Space air" lqtm.
"

Agreed. There are several instances where Superman is clearly talking in space, then there are others where he admits or is shown holding his breath. Mongul trained Superman on how to hold his breath before the Imperiax Wars for deep space battles.

caption

caption

caption

"Impossible to Breath in Space"

"

where are these from, like which comic lines?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.