Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

breaking into superman

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ok so I was never really much of a superman reader but after giving it some thought I always wanted to know what's the big deal is about him. any recommended new 52 titles that has great action as well as a good story?

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent

@cresshadow: let me guess, you came here right after the DeathBattle? New 52, huh...Action Comics is sadly the only new 52 Superman book that was more or less consistently good. You could also check out Superman/Wonder Woman. I didn't read it, but from what I hear it is pretty good.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kfabz-23
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

ok so I was never really much of a superman reader but after giving it some thought I always wanted to know what's the big deal is about him. any recommended new 52 titles that has great action as well as a good story?

Action Comics by Grant Morrison is the quintessential New 52 story. Get the first volume "Action Comics: Superman and the Men of Steel". If you like it, then keep going volume by volume.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Superguy1591

@cresshadow: Read Greg Pak's Action Comics 25-29 and then try to catch up on Truth. Truth was been enjoyable, nothing spectacular, but a fun read.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cresshadow: let me guess, you came here right after the DeathBattle? New 52, huh...Action Comics is sadly the only new 52 Superman book that was more or less consistently good. You could also check out Superman/Wonder Woman. I didn't read it, but from what I hear it is pretty good.

no. the opposite actually lol

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azza04

Don't limit yourself to just New 52 Superman. Most of his best stories are pre-flashpoint.

Check out

Superman: Birthright

Superman: For All Seasons

All Star Superman: Vol 1,2

Superman: Red Son

Superman: Up Up and Away

Superman: Last Son

Superman: New Krypton, World of New Krypton, War of the Superman

Smallville: Season 11

ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the Man Who Has Everything (superman Annual #11), What's So Funny About Truth, Justice And The American Way? (Action Comics #775), Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and some of the Batman/Superman ones are actually quite entertaining, especially Public Enemies.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cresshadow:

Post-SAR, ah?

Look. No one can tell you why you should read Superman. Each one of us, that read Superman comics, we all have our reasons.

Some like me have been following Superman since we were kids. And we relate to the character, his ideals, his story, even his powers, in some way or another.

A person can't make another person like Superman. It has to be your initiative. Your desire to learn all there's to know about the character.

My only advice to you, if you really want to start reading Superman comics, then do it with an open mind. Any less than that, and you'll go into all this new stuff already with preconceived ideas and expecting something, and in the end you'll get another.

Trust me on this. You're question relates to asking another person why does he or she likes reading at all. That person can explain it from his/her point of view but that's that. No matter how much detailed his/her point seems, if the person listening doesn't have it him/her to do the same. Then it's all for nothing.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for the input, guys

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pertinent stuff

Well spoken. That said, OP, if you want some more specific pointers, it might help if you tell us where you're coming from or what type of stories you prefer. Superman has quite a lot of different flavors, after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.