Best Superman story (Besides All Star Superman

• 69 results
#1 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Title says it all. Besides All Star Superman, what do you think is the best Superman comic story.  

LET THE COMMENTS....BEGIN!

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

BIRTHRIGHT 

Better than All-Star.

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Red Son or For Tomorrow for me.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Son 
Earth-one

#5 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come, much better than All Star.

#6 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
 Earth-one
Superman: Secret Origins was much better IMO.
#7 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

I had heard good reviews of the comics Superman: Braniac. I just bought it on Amazon a few minutes ago. :D

#8 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Brainiac 
Kingdom Come 
Red Son 
Earth-one 
Birthright  
For Tomorrow

#9 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Earth One sucked.

#10 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?
For The Man Who Has Everything
What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way?

#11 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah, and A Superman For All Seasons.

#12 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wanted to like All Star Superman, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. As a stand alone I quite enjoyed Superman: The Dark Side. Birthright and Earth-One are probably my favourites though.

#13 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP!!

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

I really wanted to like All Star Superman, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. As a stand alone I quite enjoyed Superman: The Dark Side. Birthright and Earth-One are probably my favourites though.

I feel ya on All-Star. I personally couldn't stand the art. That, and I didn't like how the story jumped from place to place. Keep it linear and simple please :)
#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright's the best, then All-Star. Earth One is good too, though it's pretty much a Superman-only story, if you enjoy the supporting cast, you'll be a little disappointed.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright. 

BB

#17 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read All Star Superman but for me the greatest Superman story is John Byrne's The Man of Steel

#18 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright is just awesome. 
One of the few who liked For Tomorrow as well.

#19 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

Is Earth-One really one of the best?
#20 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@azza04 said:

It seems to depend on personal preference and your age. Earth-One is definitely geared toward a younger generation of fans. It's worth picking up though.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

@comicdude23 said:

@azza04 said:

It seems to depend on personal preference and your age. Earth-One is definitely geared toward a younger generation of fans. It's worth picking up though.

Well I'M 23 and I think its one of the best
#22 Posted by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yeah Red Son too.

BB

#23 Posted by entropy_aegis (14459 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

The Dark Side? that stupid comic was what started the whole Supermanis immune to the OE non sense despite it being non-canon.Sorry but i hate Superman writers mishandling of Darkseid.
#24 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio

For the man who has everything 
Birthright 
Kingdom Come
#25 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@azza04 said:

The Dark Side? that stupid comic was what started the whole Supermanis immune to the OE non sense despite it being non-canon.Sorry but i hate Superman writers mishandling of Darkseid.

Never been a huge Darkseid fan.

#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (14459 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@azza04 said:

Never been a huge Darkseid fan.

Lol,well i am and Supes writers should keep their hands off him in my opinion.
#27 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Personally I rather keep Darkseid & the New Gods out of the main DCU altogether. DC needs a cosmic exclusive series, seriously.
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
 Earth-one
SO is good but I just think Earth-One was a better take
#29 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@comicdude23 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
 Earth-one
Disagree: SO had better story, art, character depth and development. And a more original take on the character, E1's take on the character really didn't work IMO.
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@comicdude23 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
 Earth-one
Disagree: SO had better story, art, character depth and development. And a more original take on the character, E1's take on the character really didn't work IMO.
We shall agree to disagree good sir
#31 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to the Earth-One sequel, hopefully Clark won't be quite so brooding in it.

And one of my favourite scenes in Secret Origin was where Clark shook hands with John Corban...was badass :)

#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

Looking forward to the Earth-One sequel, hopefully Clark won't be quite so brooding in it.

And one of my favourite scenes in Secret Origin was where Clark shook hands with John Corban...was badass :)

That was the only great scene in the whole series. The rest was pretty good at best.
#33 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: One of the little things that annoyed me about Secret Origins was that Gary Frank drew Clark/Superman in the Christopher Reeves style. I know it was a nice tribute to Reeves but he's had plenty of tributes before and it's time to move on. Superman for a new generation! lol

#34 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt: One of the little things that annoyed me about Secret Origins was that Gary Frank drew Clark/Superman in the Christopher Reeves style. I know it was a nice tribute to Reeves but he's had plenty of tributes before and it's time to move on. Superman for a new generation! lol

I agree that he strongly resembled Christopher Reeves. But IMO it was the definitive version of the character, or at-least ONE of the best. My favorite might be KC Superman.
#35 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Secret Origins. I haven't read Birthright but they are similar. I think.

#36 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come.

#37 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

indeed....
#38 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is the best Superman story I've ever read, with "For the Man Who Has Everything" being a close second. Though I must admit, when I was younger I loved the whole Death of Superman/ World Without a Superman/ Reign of Supermen story arc, gimmicky as it was.

#39 Posted by Lvenger (18429 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman is evidently good but there's also What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way? That was pitch perfect at demonstrating Superman's unwavering moral compass. Also Superman: Brainiac depicts Brainiac in an exceptionally cool way and the loss of Jonathan Kent was truly emotional. As well as this, Kingdom Come, whilst not a Superman story gave an interesting envision of the Man of Steel in the Future. And there are numerous more excellent Superman stories already mentioned here. So it's a close call in my opinion.

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio

After much deliberation I think I shall add For Tomorrow to my list as well 

#41 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

For The Man Who Has Everything

#42 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are so many favorite stories either Elseworlds, one-shots, or tangential mini-series?

Elite is the best.  Aside from Man Who Has Everything, all of the stories suggested so far are various writers' impressions of what their first or last Superman story would be like.  None of them are about Superman as he currently exists (or existed).  It's a wonderful condemnation of the murderous, snobby characters that thumb their nose at Superman.

#43 Posted by girl_from_the_future (38 posts) - - Show Bio

It is really hard for me to say what my favorite Superman story is. Many of the one-shots are good, but none of them are my favorites - despite lower average production values I think continuity-Superman is more interesting, especially Pre-Crisis. My favorite Superman story arc would probably be...

Superman v1 #296-299, "Who Took the Super Out of Superman?" Hard to beat Cary Bates and Curt Swan for me; it was also clearly an inspiration for Superman's splitting-up of personality in Superman II.

#44 Posted by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Son, Kingdom Come, and im really liking the new Action Comics series.

#45 Edited by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman doesn't have much quality stories.
BB

#46 Posted by blur99 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about Birthright and acquired it. It wasn't that good. It seemed like it would fit as a tv show episode. Not much action.

The art and coloring were very good though.

#47 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I appreciate All Seasons but I had soo much fun with Red Glass.

#48 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read much Superman but Earth One for me ^^, I loved Secret Origins too

@azza04 said:

@comicdude23 said:

@azza04 said:

So there's psychology on why I like it? Ooooh

#49 Posted by Superguy1591 (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Red Son - What would happen if the greatest American hero landed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas?

Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow - The final silver age comic of the Man of Steel before John Byrne rebooted and relaunched the character.

Superman: Birthright - Mark Waid is the greatest writer I've ever read. He wrote, what I consider, the greatest Superman comic ever (Kingdom Come) and he also wrote the greatest Superman origin that made the Man of Steel more relatable and human while still holding on to his boy scout mentality.

Superman: Secret Identity - An elseworld story about a boy named Clark Kent who develops similar superpowers as the fictional character he was named after.

Kingdom Come - Another story that tries to humanize the Man of Steel. Pained by loss of the people he loves most, the Man of Steel exiles himself to his Fortress of Solitude for years as he tries to regain his humanity. But in his absence, the world has gone to hell. The Man of Steel returns to instill the morals that he had inspired as the leader of the Justice League, but the newer generation of heroes believe that the Man of Steel and his ways are outdated. Superman has to find a new way inspire and fight the good fight.

Superman: Speeding Bullets - Without the morals instilled to him by the Kents, the man we know as the Superman would not be the man we know. In this Elseworld story, Superman is found by Thomas and Martha Wayne and is scared by the same tradgy that Batman suffered through as a youth. Like Batman, the Clark Wayne takes on the mantle of the Bat as he strikes fear into the hearts of the criminals of Gotham.

There's to name a few of my favs.

#50 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come.

It is, essentially, a Superman story and it's the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.