Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Best Superman Series of 2014-Results

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

Well fellow Superman fans it's time to see the results of what the CV Superman fan community thought were the best series this year. Now I know what you're thinking "But Saint, you said votes will be final at the end of the year.", true, but if you saw how I kept switching the final votes needed in Fight Vine, you'd know I'm very impatient. But as a show of good faith and that I'm not trying to cheat I will leave the other thread open should more votes come in till the 31st. But anyway here are the top Superman series from 2014.

7) Adventures of Superman (3 Points)

Total Points-3
    Total Points-3

6) Smallville: Season Eleven (15 Points)

Total Points- 15
    Total Points- 15

5) Superman Unchained(19 Points)

Total Points-19
    Total Points-19

4) Batman/Superman(21 Points)

Total Ponts-21
    Total Ponts-21

3) Superman (27 Points)

Total Points-27
    Total Points-27

2) Superman/Wonder Woman(43 Points)

Total Points- 43
    Total Points- 43

1) Action Comics(63 Points)

Total Points-63
    Total Points-63

Well that's it folks. It was a big year for the Man of Steel, and even though two of these series have ended and Smallville almost having a finale soon let's hope that the quality of the remaining books keeps up.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Superman/Wonder Woman...with an upset! =D

Oh my days!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Batman approves :P

Great list man, glad we agree on the number one! :)

Hmmm, the way you phrase your response makes me think you think this is my personal list.... I have some bad news

I uhhhh..... voted SM/WW first and AC second.
    I uhhhh..... voted SM/WW first and AC second.

But that doesn't change how I feel that AC got first, which is F**KING GREAT. It definitely deserves it, surprised BM/SM didn't make it into the top 3 but if the quality of it keeps the same through next year I have no doubts it will take first next year.

BTW, what would you say about Geoff's superman? I don't trust him as a writer so I'd like to hear from you.

Hmmm putting me on the spot here, let me see. Well, it's better than SNyder's and Lobdell's take on him. If I had to grade the books now it be

BM/SM- 10 or 9

AC- 9 or 8

SM-7 or 6

You'd probably be better off asking Lvenger or Squalleon who seem to like the series. I'm kinda hazy on some things :/

The rest of this is ranting and I hope it makes sense. Click at your own peril

But I feel like the entire point of this arc is just a lazy attempt to get Clark back to the Daily and stop him from being a blogger. I feel like the way it was dealt with in SM/WW was good and it could have been explored more (but I'm unclear on why he quit the Daily though)... but John's say f**k that let me write a reason why Clark needs to go back. But who knows? Maybe I'll have egg on my face by the end of the arc. As for how Johns writes his Superman, IMO it's not as good as Pak or Morrison. He's trying to drive the idea home that Clark thinks of himself as human. Now I may be being a bit fickle considering how much I hate it when people say Lois makes Clark human (because I feel like he is human, well at least acts it) but there's a moment when Clark is going on him and the rest of humanity (he phrases it as if he's a human as well) and then Ulysses calls him out on it and says "You're one of them!". Now that's a good zing and a great moment, but Superman's reaction had me laughing which is not the reaction I'm supposed to have. Clark has a O_O face. To me that seemed odd (@squalleon wrote a rebuttal but I don't buy it), when someone like him has known for 15+ years that he's Kryptonian, has a Girlfriend who many times points out he's not human, has a cousin who's not human, and has a ex villain/now partner who mocks/hates him for being Alien that reaction was a bit much. Annoyed would have been a better reaction. What I got out of that moment is that he John's wants to drive the point home that Clark believes himself to be human, but I feel it's a bit unnecessary. The most interesting part about this arc is Ulysses if anything else. Clark's interactions with Ulysses parents are also heart touching. Overall I'd say it's enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's a must buy.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@superguy1591 said:

Superman/Wonder Woman...with an upset! =D

Oh my days!

Some people are gonna hate it :). It was pretty close. Still could be over turned though, AC on the other hand is sitting pretty with a 20 point gap

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@theacidskull said:

Even Batman approves :P

Great list man, glad we agree on the number one! :)

BTW, what would you say about Geoff's superman? I don't trust him as a writer so I'd like to hear from you.

BM/SM- 10 or 9

AC- 9 or 8

SM-7 or 6

You'd probably be better off asking Lvenger or Squalleon who seem to like the series. I'm kinda hazy on some things :/

The rest of this is ranting and I hope it makes sense. Click at your own peril

But I feel like the entire point of this arc is just a lazy attempt to get Clark back to the Daily and stop him from being a blogger. I feel like the way it was dealt with in SM/WW was good and it could have been explored more (but I'm unclear on why he quit the Daily though)... but John's say f**k that let me write a reason why Clark needs to go back. But who knows? Maybe I'll have egg on my face by the end of the arc. As for how Johns writes his Superman, IMO it's not as good as Pak or Morrison. He's trying to drive the idea home that Clark thinks of himself as human. Now I may be being a bit fickle considering how much I hate it when people say Lois makes Clark human (because I feel like he is human, well at least acts it) but there's a moment when Clark is going on him and the rest of humanity (he phrases it as if he's a human as well) and then Ulysses calls him out on it and says "You're one of them!". Now that's a good zing and a great moment, but Superman's reaction had me laughing which is not the reaction I'm supposed to have. Clark has a O_O face. To me that seemed odd (@squalleon wrote a rebuttal but I don't buy it), when someone like him has known for 15+ years that he's Kryptonian, has a Girlfriend who many times points out he's not human, has a cousin who's not human, and has a ex villain/now partner who mocks/hates him for being Alien that reaction was a bit much. Annoyed would have been a better reaction. What I got out of that moment is that he John's wants to drive the point home that Clark believes himself to be human, but I feel it's a bit unnecessary. The most interesting part about this arc is Ulysses if anything else. Clark's interactions with Ulysses parents are also heart touching. Overall I'd say it's enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's a must buy.

God that rating is horrible...The moment I saw you think BM/SM takes home always a 10 or 9 made me want to pull my eyes out :P

Half story arcs on this title were garbage the other half was okay.

Anyway I would put AC more into the 8-7 category because I have enough grips with the title. But the reason I voted for it first was because it was more consistent while Superman's first half was plauged by Lobdell. Also Pak overtries to make Superman human too Mr.Wildcard... unsure on his actions all the time, thats a reaccuring theme since the first issue, now even going into the "world doesn't need Superman" territory, a trite that may be up there with the most overused Superman concepts. I don't have a problem with Supes making mistakes but at least he can be confident in his actions once in a while.

I feel SM is just starting and has the burden to undo what Lobdell had done. As for why Clark has to return to the Daily Planet is because since he left he hasn't interacted with any non-Superhuman who doesn't know his identity. Unfortunately Supes didn't have a place to interact with normal people(he knows), meaning a part of his story potential is taken away. And ClarkCatopolis isn't a place Superman can interact well, neither a place I personally want to see him, I mean just the name alone is horrible. Plus I believe he will return with a twist, as a freelancer or some sorts like he is now.

Us for why I like it: The characters are well developed, even the villians are nicefully touched to give them an ominus feel and a motivation. The banter between the characters of the Planet is incredibly enjoyable. Cool art(what can I say I like JRJR). Very good characterazation and knowing Johns infinite long story potential.

That one instance that Saint mentioned to his spoiler is a very complicated concept, I can't write it all again here so I will make a link to the thread this debate happened. Also check my debate with Sanohibiki on the same matter on that thread.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God that rating is horrible...The moment I saw you think BM/SM takes home always a 10 or 9 made me want to pull my eyes out :P

Half story arcs on this title were garbage the other half was okay.

I meant currently. The current arc of BM/SM is great. But I do disagree that anything in BM/SM was garbage, the first arc was great, the arcs after that ranged from good to okay, and now it's great again.... IMO.

Anyway I would put AC more into the 8-7 category because I have enough grips with the title. But the reason I voted for it first was because it was more consistent while Superman's first half was plauged by Lobdell. Also Pak overtries to make Superman human too Mr.Wildcard... unsure on his actions all the time, thats a reaccuring theme since the first issue, now even going into the "world doesn't need Superman" territory, a trite that may be up there with the most overused Superman concepts. I don't have a problem with Supes making mistakes but at least he can be confident in his actions once in a while.

The difference being one is showing and the other is telling. Clark acting like a normal farm boy is what I love about Pak. I feel by putting aside the Super Intelligence you can tell much more interesting stories that aren't riddled with PIS. Clark feels much more like a normal guy because of it. Do I have a problem with Superman getting to All Star levels of power and experience? No. But I don't see the need to rush, I seeing the transition from Cocky loner, to a much more mature Superman who still doesn't have a complete handle on it. John's by putting that argument and reaction in, is telling which seems like a thunk on the head trying to remind you.

I feel SM is just starting and has the burden to undo what Lobdell had done. As for why Clark has to return to the Daily Planet is because since he left he hasn't interacted with any non-Superhuman who doesn't know his identity. Unfortunately Supes didn't have a place to interact with normal people(he knows), meaning a part of his story potential is taken away. And ClarkCatopolis isn't a place Superman can interact well, neither a place I personally want to see him, I mean just the name alone is horrible. Plus I believe he will return with a twist, as a freelancer or some sorts like he is now.

But that's the writers fault. Even Soule touched upon the whole Blogger thing and it was really good to see him and Kat work on things and the troubles of their blog. I would have loved to see him an Kat interact more, Clark deal more with the problem that news is about sensationalism (this would have been especially good considering what's going on with whistle blowers and the bias in news), actually work on fixing their low numbers (I think Lobdell mentioned their unsuccessful blog but never gave us a conclusion) and be rivals with Lois (and possibly even work on stuff in the future). There could have been a plethora of good stories that could be told, but no John's just wants to go back to a safe little zone call the Daily Planet.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9 frozen  Moderator

Superman/Wonder Woman with 43 points...

Absolute disgrace.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SaintWildcard

@frozen said:

Absolute disgrace.

That it didn't take first place? Agreed.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAMN CELLPHONE DELETE BUTTON!

@frozen said:

Absolute disgrace.

That it didn't win first place? Agreed!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: The storyline is garbage. Not only is SM/WW relationship utterly boring and forced but the stories themselves are not engaging.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaintWildcard

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard: The storyline is garbage. Not only is SM/WW relationship utterly boring and forced but the stories themselves are not engaging.

SOunds like a copy paste.
    SOunds like a copy paste.

Also

Loading Video...

To which I (and apparently a lot of people) disagree with.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintWildcard

@theacidskull said:

@saint_wildcard: YOU...WHAT!?:P

But yeah, AC is absolutely fantastic! And It makes me happy that people voted it first! :)

At some point I'll count how many people voted it first, but I think it was over 15.

And what you just described seems like Johns alright. He tends to do what he wants with no regards for what others are doing, that being said, it still seems that he's doing alright.

Well when the idea was never really developed and Lobdell only tinkered with it with no conclusions, no one is going to cry over it. But I think it be fascinating to see Clark deal with the problems in news today..... well maybe not fascinating but it's better than going back to the Daily again so soon... you were talking about the blogger thing right?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant currently. The current arc of BM/SM is great. But I do disagree that anything in BM/SM was garbage, the first arc was great, the arcs after that ranged from good to okay, and now it's great again.... IMO.

Ι have to disagree. The first arc was just okay. The story was pretty standard and the art was bad imo. Lack of backgrounds, weird faces. Silouetes even in a light background. The second arc was pretty mediocre to bad for me. Boring story, awful characterazation and gimmicky horizontal art, that neither did help in the storytelling nor was enjoyable. Crossovers with the WF title, which was boring at its best, plus Jae Lee returned on doing the art having the same problems as the first arc. Lemire's one shot was awful, bad dialogue, jokes that fell flat and story that went downhill in the second half. After that I haven't read anything. But that was enough for me to get a view on the title. Inconsistent and okay at best.

The difference being one is showing and the other is telling. Clark acting like a normal farm boy is what I love about Pak. I feel by putting aside the Super Intelligence you can tell much more interesting stories that aren't riddled with PIS. Clark feels much more like a normal guy because of it. Do I have a problem with Superman getting to All Star levels of power and experience? No. But I don't see the need to rush, I seeing the transition from Cocky loner, to a much more mature Superman who still doesn't have a complete handle on it. John's by putting that argument and reaction in, is telling which seems like a thunk on the head trying to remind you.

Disagree(again). Check the last three issues, Clark is pretty much saying the world doesn't need Superman. He didn't showed anything. The opposite is actually true. The whole DOOMED event had people all over the place saying "we need Superman", "What would Superman do?" and at the end Superman saved the day. And yet the conclusion Clark reached was the opposite..go figure. There is a difference between a human Superman and one with inconsistent characterazation through out the span of 5 issues. Not to mention the lack of characterazation when it comes to the supporting characters.

But that's the writers fault. Even Soule touched upon the whole Blogger thing and it was really good to see him and Kat work on things and the troubles of their blog. I would have loved to see him an Kat interact more, Clark deal more with the problem that news is about sensationalism (this would have been especially good considering what's going on with whistle blowers and the bias in news), actually work on fixing their low numbers (I think Lobdell mentioned their unsuccessful blog but never gave us a conclusion) and be rivals with Lois (and possibly even work on stuff in the future). There could have been a plethora of good stories that could be told, but no John's just wants to go back to a safe little zone call the Daily Planet.

Why would you sacrifice the underused incredible cast of the Daily Planet just to interact with only one person? Plus we don't know if Clark will return, up to know he has refused twice and it seems he has obtained an one sided rivalry with Lois and Jimmy since issue 35.
    We assume he will return because we see the planet but if that isn't the case. What If Clark stays as a freelancer? Lets wait and see.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon: Not gonna reply to the first part cus that's too old to talk about. But let me see about the rest

Disagree(again). Check the last three issues, Clark is pretty much saying the world doesn't need Superman. He didn't showed anything. The opposite is actually true. The whole DOOMED event had people all over the place saying "we need Superman", "What would Superman do?" and at the end Superman saved the day. And yet the conclusion Clark reached was the opposite..go figure. There is a difference between a human Superman and one with inconsistent characterazation through out the span of 5 issues. Not to mention the lack of characterazation when it comes to the supporting characters.

He didn't have the mentality that the world didn't need him during Doomed, but after, when he saw that the world was okay for like 6 months. Not a day, not a week but 6 months. He felts by being there he brought more bad than good, which is a logical conclusion to come too. I'll agree that that issue wasn't great (a throw away reallY) but neither was Doomed (the SM/WW after Doomed issue was great though). I'm talking about him pre and post Doomed. Superman acts the same in both those moments in time. Also Lana is a great character so I don't know what you're talking about *sassy finger snap*. I enjoy that she's not written as this Superman sidekick who's by his side and never questions him. She's been through a traumatic event and even she know's shes being a bit harsh. And her relationship with Steel is great. Hiro is an other great addition, his character is what it is. He's golden, a comedic relief character, but golden,

Why would you sacrifice the underused incredible cast of the Daily Planet just to interact with only one person? Plus we don't know if Clark will return, up to know he has refused twice and it seems he has obtained an one sided rivalry with Lois and Jimmy since issue 35.

We assume he will return because we see the planet but if that isn't the case. What If Clark stays as a freelancer? Lets wait and see.

I never said he wouldn't interact with Daily Planet characters, it just be from a rival stand point. Both can exist. Plus as I stated, the intricacies of how the media is sh*t nowadays is something that could be explored better from his blogger standpoint.

As for what John's will do, yes, we'll see,

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: Of course it's my opinion (it's not a copy-paste either).

I long for the old and moral Superman to return.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SaintWildcard

@frozen said:

Sure it isn't. I believe you, yup, sure do.

Those stories exist. But for those that like a journey of growth and experience, Pak's Superman is for us. At some point he'll be more like ASS Superman, but he's not there yet.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@theacidskull: You should read Johns Superman its extrenely good and more akin to the classic iteration of Superman from the Pre 52 which reads like a breath of fresh air. But Romita is inconsistent in quality of art.

Glad AC got first place deserves it. Love Aaron Kuder his work is killer.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Not gonna reply to the first part cus that's too old to talk about. But let me see about the rest

He didn't have the mentality that the world didn't need him during Doomed, but after, when he saw that the world was okay for like 6 months. Not a day, not a week but 6 months. He felts by being there he brought more bad than good, which is a logical conclusion to come too. I'll agree that that issue wasn't great (a throw away reallY) but neither was Doomed (the SM/WW after Doomed issue was great though). I'm talking about him pre and post Doomed. Superman acts the same in both those moments in time. Also Lana is a great character so I don't know what you're talking about *sassy finger snap*. I enjoy that she's not written as this Superman sidekick who's by his side and never questions him. She's been through a traumatic event and even she know's shes being a bit harsh. And her relationship with Steel is great. Hiro is an other great addition, his character is what it is. He's golden, a comedic relief character, but golden,

Superman never had a delusion of grandeur. Also it was touched in issue 36 AGAIN after the doomed aftermath. For one and only Lana, there is a Toyman, Baka, Steel that is there only to get the plot further. The characters are more of plot tools rather than characters. Seriously, has Steel even talked to Superman directly since he became a regular. Have we got any depth on Toyman. Has Baka's prince of subterrenia sub-plot that was left unfinished and came out of the blue, developed any further? Also Lana's 180 turn since Doomed is handled so bad. Especially in issue 36, that cringe worthy scene were he saves her and she talks smack at him is so forced. So Superman is deconstructing himself costantly and Lana just change her opinion on him. That is the sum up of more than a year's worth of development.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@squalleon is still here, but the N52 fanboys are outnumber him. =D

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

@frozen said:

Those stories exist. But for those that like a journey of growth and experience, Pak's Superman is for us.

I have followed Superman comics for more than a decade: in contrast, Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship is that of a forced relationship. It's a cliche-match-up designed to appeal to new readers. If that is a copy-paste, then I might as well say the poll is full of sheep.

Journey of ''growth and experience''? Pak's Superman has no growth. It's Pak wanting Superman to be a constant 'nice guy' without the moral authority, comfort and confidence.

If you want a writer who can truly expand upon Superman's character - I suggest you read the work of Waid or Morrison.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon: I'm just gonna end it here. I could go on but it's just going to be me calling out claims of cherry picking and that rode is gonna get bumpy, plus I'm too tired to respond at 100%. I'll give you that the arc prior to Doomed ended on a weird note, but this is a case where editorial made him. We'll resume this at a later date (maybe I'll respond tomorrow). So point goes to you.... for now

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SanoHibiki

Surprised (pleasantly so) that Unchained didn’t get into first three finalists; amount of hype about this book was unbelievable.

Superman on 3-rd place – hopefully because of Johns :P

But first two, AC and SM/WW – I was just like

No Caption Provided

Thanks, Saint_Wildcard, you just made my day with such glorious finale ;)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@frozen said:

Those stories exist. But for those that like a journey of growth and experience, Pak's Superman is for us.

I have followed Superman comics for more than a decade: in contrast, Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship is that of a forced relationship. It's a cliche-match-up designed to appeal to new readers. If that is a copy-paste, then I might as well say the poll is full of sheep.

Atleast tell me you've read some issues before putting your stamp of disapproval, particularity issue 12 which was a great summary on why they are dating and why the fans should root for them to keep going. If so I'll quit my trolling on the subject.

Journey of ''growth and experience''? Pak's Superman has no growth. It's Pak wanting Superman to be a constant 'nice guy' without the moral authority, comfort and confidence.

I disagree completely , especially in BM/SM he shows how the friendship has grown from their early days. A transition from at each others throats, to a friendly rivalry, to now when Batman knows when something is up with Clark. In Action Comcs Clark has been given a reason as to why he was so cocky in his early days and made it tragic (made me tear up it was so good)something Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns failed to do. And he skipped to the years when he finally gets the suit showing how much more level headed he is while still being a bit brash. It makes him all the more likable to not have him be perfect right out of the gate, it makes his struggle are the more enjoyable/tragic to see and making the journey to a much more round Superman way more entertaining. I don't think he lacks confidence he just lacks experience, which according to many Superman fans I asked on a thread about he difference between Pak and Pre-52, is the only thing they are different in.

If you want a writer who can truly expand upon Superman's character - I suggest you read the work of Waid or Morrison.

Someday, maybe.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, just wow!! Personally I liked Action Comics until Doomed derailed it, but didn't realise how popular it was with so many people. I can think of one or two Superman fans on CV who will be boiling their heads at this result right now!!! Shocked that Grek Pak's comic has beaten that of Geoff Johns!!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SaintWildcard

@sanohibiki said:

Surprised (pleasantly so) that Unchained didn’t get into first three finalists; amount of hype about this book was unbelievable.

Superman on 3-rd place – hopefully because of Johns :P

But first two, AC and SM/WW – I was just like

No Caption Provided

Thanks, Saint_Wildcard, you just made my day with such glorious finale ;)

Such a great victory and upset. Superman was so close to SM/WW but the Power Couple blasted ahead in the final votes.

Loading Video...
    @bezza said:

Wow, just wow!! Personally I liked Action Comics until Doomed derailed it, but didn't realise how popular it was with so many people. I can think of one or two Superman fans on CV who will be boiling their heads at this result right now!!! Shocked that Grek Pak's comic has beaten that of Geoff Johns!!

Well to be fair the voters were asked to take into consideration all the issues of the year, Lobdell wrote more than half which might have soured voters on voting for it even with John's. Still though, AC is pretty great. BM/SM is better ATM.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: superman and wonder woman work together under Tomasi, even if YOU keep trying to deny it. They're funny and often times romantic under him.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The spread is pretty much how I thought it should have landed. SM/WW landing the second spot was a pleasant surprise but the big shocker was Unchained. People still talk that book up like crazy, guess it was more sizzle than substance.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Where do I come in?

Why does everyone think I hate Action Comics? Hell, I voted it for first place! Because I am mentioning a titles week spots doesn't mean I hate it. I love Johns' Superman but I still buried the last issue which was meh and constantly mentions I hate the overly slow pace and price bump. See my praise about Action's first arc or how issue 25 is one of my favorite stories. I am not being unfair and I don't pick sides here, I just say my opinion on a titles strong and weak points. AC just isn't as interesting post-doomed.

But I agree btw, too many fans that started with the New52. I feel alienated. Especially when I see praise for titles like BM/SM which makes me pull my hair out!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: you're one of the "old and moral" Superman fans.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: you're one of the "old and moral" Superman fans.

I don't think New52 Supes is amoral, completely the opposite. But I hate that constant self-finding, deconstructing take DC has taken with him for almost five years now(since Grounded)and with mostly mediocre storytelling. Okay, he finds himself, but for how long? It has been overplayed. With Earth One coming out just before the New52 and MoS very recently. I just got bored with Superman finding his place in the world. Especially when it is constant self-hatred on his part or having the character make "mistakes'' so "he can learn". I am not a new fan, far from it and thats why I get bored with stories like these, because I have seen those SO many times. And very recently too.
    Since the start of the new 52 DC has made clear that they don't want anything connected with Superman up to this point to exist. They took him away from the Planet, they broke him up with Lois (Look I know you hate her, But I promise, cross my heart, Lois can be a great character, please check some Pre-52 stories and you will see what I mean) and they have him being more "nice guy" rather than Superman. Superman(meaning the whole franchise) is ashamed of been himself.
    One thing I always loved about the character is that he fights for never ending battles and impossible dreams, yet he is confidant in his action, he is sure and dependable, you look at him and you are in awe, he is not perfect and he makes mistakes but he is Superman not just another "nice guy" with Super-powers. With New 52 most of that was taken away, the last time I felt it was in Morrison's run. And yes even Unchained that you think I love didn't gave me that feeling (maybe the first two issue did but thats it).

Thats why I am so critical of those stories, because they offer me nothing new, so I see it more in depth. And thats why I love Johns' Superman because it is a breath of fresh air after all this time, a Superman title that doesn't afraid to be about Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love a good rant.
    Sometimes I really need it :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I know, but Frozen says that N52 Superman fans aren't "moral".

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fans? The fans sure aren't moral. See @saint_wildcard, I bet he is the kind of guy who would steal candy from a baby.

But no I disagree New52 Supes has the same moral code as Pre-52. The stories just aren't as good and many writers misunderstood Morrison's intention with his New 52 Superman take.

Btw after this rant I did, do you see why I am so critical of Superman,Action etc sometimes?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: I've never been against your criticism of N52 Supes. I just chuck it up to different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion and I am glad to have Superman fans around--we're a dying breed around these parts. Especially since even the mods have taken a liking to trolling Superman fans, it's nice to have people who share a common liking and who you can discuss with.

As far as Saint: he's a nice guy. He's just passionate. =D

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I've never been against your criticism of N52 Supes. I just chuck it up to different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion and I am glad to have Superman fans around--we're a dying breed around these parts. Especially since even the mods have taken a liking to trolling Superman fans, it's nice to have people who share a common liking and who you can discuss with.

As far as Saint: he's a nice guy. He's just passionate. =D

Agreed. I think a huge part of our differences is our experience. For example I would consider some titles to be way better if I hadn't read all these stories I have now. Your standards tend to raise the more stories you read.

You can say that again. It makes me so sad. I hope BvS gets it right and people understand that Superman is a great character. I hate to have to explain to everyone I met why he is great.

Yeah I know I was making a joke. And imagine that a while ago I was thinking you were the passionate around here :P

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@superguy1591 said:

What are you talking about?

I said that I long for the old and moral Superman to return. This does not mean the fans are immoral.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: oh, so you're saying N52 Superman isn't moral. Well...read post 34.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very accurate list

The high quality of Action Comics, Superman/ Wonder Woman and Superman definitely deserves them to ranked as the Top 3

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

@frozen said:

But I agree btw, too many fans that started with the New52. I feel alienated. Especially when I see praise for titles like BM/SM which makes me pull my hair out!

You're not alienated, I don't know how old you are, but my first experience of Superman was seeing the original movie in 1979 as a 10 year old, so I guess I must fall into the old and moral camp too! I think that DC do struggle to know how to pitch superman, perhaps over sensitive to criticism in the wider world that he is out of touch, old hat, boy scout etc, etc. There is a lot of really average Superman stuff out there compared with top Batman books and I have to admit I have been drawn away to other characters a fair bit in recent years, but I thought Action Comics issues 25 to about 30 were really really good, a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, yeah a good rant is good. Talking of rants, where is our friend Lvengers reaction to all this? He is normally one who doesn't mind venting his spleen over Superman and I kind of figured he would be jumping up and down at this result!!

Oh and I didn't think Unchained was that bad at all. When I read all the issues together, quite liked it.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kfabz-23

When Geoff johns superman started it became better than the rest IMO

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

You're not alienated, I don't know how old you are, but my first experience of Superman was seeing the original movie in 1979 as a 10 year old, so I guess I must fall into the old and moral camp too! I think that DC do struggle to know how to pitch superman, perhaps over sensitive to criticism in the wider world that he is out of touch, old hat, boy scout etc, etc. There is a lot of really average Superman stuff out there compared with top Batman books and I have to admit I have been drawn away to other characters a fair bit in recent years, but I thought Action Comics issues 25 to about 30 were really really good, a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, yeah a good rant is good. Talking of rants, where is our friend Lvengers reaction to all this? He is normally one who doesn't mind venting his spleen over Superman and I kind of figured he would be jumping up and down at this result!!

Oh and I didn't think Unchained was that bad at all. When I read all the issues together, quite liked it.

I am not "old", maybe for comicvine standards I could be, but I am only 20. My first experience with Superman was the 1979 movie too, I own it in VCR(still)! I remember I was seeing it when I was so young I couldn't understand the subtitles. But you know I was so young that I didn't care either.

I agree DC is oversensitive when it comes to Superman. And thats what hurts the character the most in my opinion. Because lets be honest here, which are Superman's best stories? Simple the ones that hold true to his character, these are the stories that will change the reader's mind about Supes, by making them accept who he is and love him.
    Agreed I love the first arc of Action. I feel since Doomed the title just isn't as good or as interesting. But It may be because Action didn't had competition at the time and the alternative was...Lobdell*shivers*.

The "rant" comment was going for post 34, in case this is a respond to that. I really don't know, lets tag him and find out @lvenger

I didn't think it was bad but I wasn't blown away buy it. The first two issues are by far my favorite because they have Superman acting all Supermasish saving people.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Only 20, so when you were growing up Marvel were just starting to bombard us with films, all the more impressive that you have a passion for the character...for me, well my first experiences were Batman on TV then Superman on film, Wonder Woman, Hulk and Spiderman, all on TV in the 1970s, so no surprise those have been 5 of my favourite characters for the last 30 odd years!!.

Anyway I agree AC hasn't been as good recently although I think 36 is back on track. I have decided to save my money these days on comics and will buy the TP for the current Geoff Johns Arc in April and also the AC one for the current arc whenever that comes out!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.