Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Best superman comics out there ?

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By consolemaster001

I've enjoyed several comics fron spiderman, batman and nightwing ! I want to get into the man of steel. What are some of the best supes comics that you would recommend to a newbie like myself ?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

Recycling posts FTW.

For Superman you can start with:

• Earth One Vol. 1 and 2
    • Birthright
    • Superman and the Men of Steel (and the rest of the current Action Comics series)

Further reading:

• What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way? (Action Comics #775)
    • Red Son
    • Peace on Earth
    • Last Son
    • Escape from Bizarro World
    • Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes
    • Superman: Brainiac
    • Kingdom Come
    • All Star Superman
    • For The Man Who Has Everything
    • Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

I recommend reading them in that order.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SandMan_

^ Yup

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#4  Edited By TheCannon

@consolemaster001: Ignore what everyone else says. Skip EVERYTHING Superman until The New 52 (except for Superman: The Animated Series). It's terrible.

In the New 52, I recommend just about everything. Action Comics is probably the best, though Superman is amazing (and don't listen to the hate of the first year. Those stories before #0 were also awesome). Although the art sucks after #12.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eternal19

@consolemaster001: dont listen to @TheCannon hes a superman hater whos only read one actual pre new 52 superman book(Death of superman which is like 20 years old) and thinks that every other book sucks even though he hasnt read them and he doesnt realize that new 52 superman isnt that much different from pre new 52 superman. He is not the person to go to for superman comic references.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

@TheCannon said:

@consolemaster001: Ignore everything I say.

Yup.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

@Eternal19 said:

@consolemaster001: dont listen to @TheCannon hes a superman hater whos only read one actual pre new 52 superman book(Death of superman which is like 20 years old) and thinks that every other book sucks even though he hasnt read them and he doesnt realize that new 52 superman isnt that much different from pre new 52 superman. He is not the person to go to for superman comic references.

First off, I have read more. I've simply said that Death of Superman is the only decent one Pre-52.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skewer

The current best superman title so far to me is superman beyond but it's not new reader friendly. You'll have to have watched the entire of Bruce timm's DC animated universe( batman tas, superman tas, batman beyond, justice league, jlu) as well as read superman batman annual 4. Don't let anyone tell you that the pre 52 superman sucked because it didn't. The pre 52 stories I'd recommend would be: -Superman up, up and away -secret origin -for all seasons - everything on SmashBrawler's list - the death of superman, world without superman, return of superman - secret identity - John burne's the man of steel

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Skewer said:

The current best superman title so far to me is superman beyond but it's not new reader friendly. You'll have to have watched the entire of Bruce timm's DC animated universe( batman tas, superman tas, batman beyond, justice league, jlu) as well as read superman batman annual 4. Don't let anyone tell you that the pre 52 superman sucked because it didn't. The pre 52 stories I'd recommend would be: -Superman up, up and away -secret origin -for all seasons - everything on SmashBrawler's list - the death of superman, world without superman, return of superman - secret identity - John burne's the man of steel

Oh. My. God.

Why the hell do I always forget about this stuff?!

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ScarletBatman

Pick up the two All-Star Superman trades. Well worth the investment. They're great comics!

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By consolemaster001

@Skewer said:

Don't worry about the animated series i think i've watched all of them.

@ScarletBatman: @SmashBrawler: I'm thinking of getting earth one vol 1 and 2 and maybe others along the way.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

Listen to SmashBrawler, my good man.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

For Tomorrow is my favorite arc. Earth One is a great couple of standalone books. New 52 Action, Justice League and the H'el on Earth series have all been money well spent and show 3 different Superman's, so might be worth looking at one of each to see what you like of the current bunch.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

^ I didn't dig For Tomorrow, to be honest. The art was excellent, but the story I felt was.... Lacking.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@Gambit1024. I'll always rermember it as the first time I saw supes truly losing hope; and it's added a whole extra layer to him, for me, ever since.

Avatar image for jstephenson1971
    jstephenson1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For my money, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow will always be my favorite Superman story. Alan Moore pay great homage to the history of the character while raising the bar. Well worth your time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.