Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice plot idea

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Speculation is high.

Here are vital plot points which could be interesting.

• Lex Luthor manipulates the media to fuel the hatred and fear of Superman
    • Batman returns because of Superman's presence
    • Lois Lane dies
    • Superman exiles himself for 10 years
    • Returns years later and forms the Justice League

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I doubt the last 3

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As long as it's not a clone of TDKR I'm fine. Lois Lane dying? sounds like TASM 2

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard

I feel like this movie will be the redeemer for Superman. If the plot point that the media is split on him cus of what happened in Metropolis is being addressed I feel this movie is going to be about the media starting to trust him more. Either that or it will end on the cliffhanger of a threat showing up and the JL forming at the end in which case he won't be redeemed until JL

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frozen  Moderator

@ganon15 said:

As long as it's not a clone of TDKR I'm fine. Lois Lane dying? sounds like TASM 2

It won't be a copy of The Dark Knight Returns.

And how does it sound like TASM2? In the Superman story Kingdom Come, Lois died in an event, added with some other story elements, Superman exiled himself for a decade and returned a decade later, an older man to re-form the Justice League. That story, like Man of Steel, was heavy on the religious undertones.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Lois dying? Contrary to popular belief, MoS's continuity isn't darker. So killing off Lois is a bad idea.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frozen  Moderator

Lois dying? Contrary to popular belief, MoS's continuity isn't darker. So killing off Lois is a bad idea.

Killing a character does not make a film darker.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Although I felt the portrayal was weak given the caliber of actress, I do not see them "throwing away" (so to speak) Amy Adams. She is too talented for that. (Natalie Portman is basically in a similar situation with Jane, females in comic book movies just suck ass 99% of the time)

Its a decent theory though I guess. Not like we have much to go on other than the fact that Batman and Superman are gonna fight and we're gonna get cameos from many JL members.

The size of Lex's role is also unknown.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, let's just fridge one of the most iconic female comic book characters of all time. Brilliant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Your first suggestion isn't bad.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@smashbrawler said:

Yeah, let's just fridge one of the most iconic female comic book characters of all time. Brilliant.

Shit happens. Great stories can be made from it; rather than just cash cows.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope nope nope NOPE to the last 3

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmashBrawler

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

Just because you can make a story out of something doesn't mean you should.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@frozen said:

@amazingwebhead said:

Killing a character does not make a film darker.

I guess that depends on who it is and how they die.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

It breaks the trope.

In Man of Steel, Lois was resorted to being a damsel in distress too many times. The whole 'Superman saves Lois' cliché being broken can bring some life to Snyderverse.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

It breaks the trope.

In Man of Steel, Lois was resorted to being a damsel in distress too many times. The whole 'Superman saves Lois' cliché being broken can bring some life to Snyderverse.

Or you could write Lois as a strong, useful character...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frozen  Moderator
    SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmashBrawler
    frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@smashbrawler: They had the chance in Man of Steel and reverted back to the old, rugged formula. The plot called for her to become a master detective so they could instantly get rid of the ''Lois doesn't know who Superman is cliché'' and then pushed her aside as a damsel in distress for the rest of the film.

Comic book films often lack good female roles (though, not always). This film will probably feel the need to emphasize Wonder Woman as the strong, empowering woman.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Yeah, but this movie's screenplay has a different writer. Just because Goyer couldn't make Lois a worthwhile character doesn't mean Terrio can't either.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@smashbrawler: That doesn't mean she still won't be a damsel in distress. The first two Superman films had brilliant writing and she still was. As she was in Superman Returns. Lois has never been, on-screen given a worthwhile role.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Well, all Fantastic Four movies have been sh!t to date, that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confirmed

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frozen  Moderator
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: In regards to Batman vs Superman, there is simply no way Jon Stewart of all people would know what happens in the Batman vs Superman script, the film's not even...finished filming yet. Affleck does not just go around telling people the ending of his film; and if Jon truly knew then I am sure the situation would be more serious, rather than Affleck brushing it off. It's publicity for his upcoming role.

* He doesn't kill his wife in Gone Girl either.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard: In regards to Batman vs Superman, there is simply no way Jon Stewart of all people would know what happens in the Batman vs Superman script, the film's not even...finished filming yet. Affleck does not just go around telling people the ending of his film; and if Jon truly knew then I am sure the situation would be more serious, rather than Affleck brushing it off. It's publicity for his upcoming role.

.... I WAS JOKING!!!

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think It is too early to do the last three. I think they should be done in MOS 2.

In here you have the formation of the JL, In the JL movie the team gains more public trust. In MOS 2 A character like Magog appears (in the comics there is a god that gives him his powers, I think that the god could be replaced for Darkseid). In JL 2, 5 years pass and they tell us how broken the world has gotten without Superman and the JL reunites to stop the super humans that are leaded by Magog, by the end of that film the heroes learn that Magog was created from the god Darkseid to weaken the defenses of Earth. In JL 3, War against Darkseid.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Zearing
    @ganon15 said:

Sounds more like Injustice to me. (Come to think of it, Joker's not out of the question in a movie that has Batman in it...)

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
    XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a heavy theme in this movie will be redemption. I think superman, will learn from his mistakes and will see how the people see him, how they're so frightened and then he'll end up changing his ways.

I think we'll get a bit of backstory on this incarnation of batman, I believe he has done or caused something in the past that he regrets, and he feels that by helping superman become a true hero, he'll feel redeemed. I think batman and superman will both help each other out in redeeming themselves in the end.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

@frozen said:

@smashbrawler said:

It breaks the trope.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, he's had one movie where he's had to save her. I think it's a bit to early to be "breaking" anything. Besides, I think the last thing Superman needs is more death in his life at this point. What he needs is hope, and people to be around. People who can inspire him to be the best person possible, and Lois is one of those people. What would be the point of taking that away? So you can do something different for the sake of being different, instead of thinking how to best utilize the character? I think killing her off would be a huge cop-out, and honestly a poor move at this point.

It was a good story, but I don't think Kingdom Come is the way to go right now. He just shows up, and boom--he's gone for 10 years? What's up with that?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@scouterv: He does not just show up. He has been Superman for two years in BvS. In the first film, he is 33, in DOJ he is 35. People can have hope, in the face of death. If a film will create true hope, then that is what the film could do --- from a storytelling perspective, if executed right it can be very powerful and inspiring. How many Superman films has Lois done nothing for exactly?

I guarantee you Lois will be wasted as a character in DOJ.

Though, this could perhaps work instead in Man of Steel 2. Amy Adams is nearing 40. She did not look young --- not to sound shallow but eventually the film-makers will scrap her character.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@frozen: You do realise that if Lois dies in DOJ, the Clois fanbase will riot? Despite Amy Adams' wetsop performance, I know several Clois shippers that strangely loved the non-existent chemistry between Cavill and Addams. They'll want a Clois relationship throughout the DC Cinematic Universe's tenure and if Lois dies, that's gonna generate a lot of nasty feedback. Clois shippers are big supporters of MOS from what I've seen.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Speculation is high.

Here are vital plot points which could be interesting.

• Lex Luthor manipulates the media to fuel the hatred and fear of Superman
    • Batman returns because of Superman's presence
    • Lois Lane dies
    • Superman exiles himself for 10 years
    • Returns years later and forms the Justice League

Eh, sorry - but they're far fetched, mostly >__>

- TAS

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@frozen: You do realise that if Lois dies in DOJ, the Clois fanbase will riot? Despite Amy Adams' wetsop performance, I know several Clois shippers that strangely loved the non-existent chemistry between Cavill and Addams. They'll want a Clois relationship throughout the DC Cinematic Universe's tenure and if Lois dies, that's gonna generate a lot of nasty feedback. Clois shippers are big supporters of MOS from what I've seen.

That is very strange indeed.

Why love such a forced, stale and emotionless pair-up? I don't know. But I sure as hell know that Lois dying would bring more emotion than their actual relationship.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Lvenger

@frozen said:

@lvenger said:

That is very strange indeed.

Why love such a forced, stale and emotionless pair-up? I don't know. But I sure as hell know that Lois dying would bring more emotion than their actual relationship.

It's strange to me too mate. But a lot of Clois shippers blindly love any attention given to Clark and Lois being together, especially with the Superman/Wonder Woman fauxmance being on the cards at DC.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: That's still not very long. People can have hope in fortune, as well as misery. I think Superman and Batman portray that well enough, so I don't see why Lois has to die to inspire him. If executed well, anything can offer a compelling story. As for your question, that's odd to ask, since there's only been one recent Superman movie.

You assume, that she'll be wasted. For all you know, she'll be a central character in the series going forward. As for her age, I doubt they'll scrap the Lois Lane character. Too central to the mythology. They could potentially recast, but that's about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I doubt they'd actually kill off Lois yet. And the whole thing about superman going into exile is something i don't want to see. I'd probably walk out of the theatre. However lex fuelling the fire for hatred is to be expected. He does that anyway. If they do kill of Lois it might be nice to see the wonder woman relationship on the big screen.

"Flies away to Pluto to hide from the army of Clois shippers and haters on the vine"

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@scouterv said:

@frozen: That's still not very long. People can have hope in fortune, as well as misery. I think Superman and Batman portray that well enough, so I don't see why Lois has to die to inspire him. If executed well, anything can offer a compelling story. As for your question, that's odd to ask, since there's only been one recent Superman movie.

You assume, that she'll be wasted. For all you know, she'll be a central character in the series going forward. As for her age, I doubt they'll scrap the Lois Lane character. Too central to the mythology. They could potentially recast, but that's about it.

1. That is, long enough. The Superman in the Snyderverse is a more mature Superman, than the younger versions which are often portrayed to start in their twenties

2. I did not say Lois has to die to inspire him; I said that having more death, in respones to your post doesn't mean that there is less inspiration. There can be more in the face of death/deaths of characters

3. It was not a question, it was rhetorical. Lois Lane in a general sense has not done much in the films, but more specifically, having Lois for the sake of having Lois accomplishes what? Amy Adams did not have chemistry with Henry Cavill

4. I'm assuming based on good evidence - a number of movies and most media portrayals have done this, the chances of a female Comic Book Character being central in DC Cinematic Universe are slim...

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@scouterv said:

1. That is, long enough. The Superman in the Snyderverse is a more mature Superman, than the younger versions which are often portrayed to start in their twenties

2. I did not say Lois has to die to inspire him; I said that having more death, in respones to your post doesn't mean that there is less inspiration. There can be more in the face of death/deaths of characters

3. It was not a question, it was rhetorical. Lois Lane in a general sense has not done much in the films, but more specifically, having Lois for the sake of having Lois accomplishes what? Amy Adams did not have chemistry with Henry Cavill

4. I'm assuming based on good evidence - a number of movies and most media portrayals have done this, the chances of a female Comic Book Character being central in DC Cinematic Universe are slim...

How is it long enough, exactly?

Or, how about having less death? Since so many people are clamoring about all the destruction and likely death he caused fighting Zod. I don't think the storyline needs a lot more death at this point.

So how's about we let them work together on more movies before we decide they shouldn't be on-screen together. Chemistry is something that takes time to build

You realize this is a reboot, right? Things could be different. I mean, who'd have ever thought some of the things that have happened would have happened? Marvel D-Listers making a successful movie? A good X-Men movie? A black president? (History says that should not have happened.)

What I'm saying is, you can't just assume everything will be how it was, because that's how it's been.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt they'd actually kill off Lois yet. And the whole thing about superman going into exile is something i don't want to see. I'd probably walk out of the theatre. However lex fuelling the fire for hatred is to be expected. He does that anyway. If they do kill of Lois it might be nice to see the wonder woman relationship on the big screen.

"Flies away to Pluto to hide from the army of Clois shippers and haters on the vine"

As much as I'd like to see that I don't think it's a good idea to kill Lois so soon. Especially since Amy Adams loves Lois Lane considering she tried out for the role 4 times before MoS

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 frozen  Moderator

@scouterv:

1. The movie cinematic universe, will obviously not span the length of comics. The Man of Steel movie already went against the norm; usually, Superman first appears by building his name up; often from doing good deeds and it eventually builds up. In Man of Steel, his first experience as Superman trashed Metropolis. The Superman is already broken, because of him innocents died during the battle. The new set pictures of anti-Superman fuel the fire. In the comics it usually takes Superman years to face planetary threats, in the film universe he faced it in his first tenure as Superman. Progressing major parts of his story/mythos in film is nothing new.

2. That's pointless death. It was a bunch of innocent people dying because of Superman's battle. That's fundamentally different to killing characters from the supporting cast.

3. If they will ''build'' this chemistry then it will take a long time. They had multiple scenes together in Man of Steel and nothing was there.

4. Some...of those examples are completely irrelevant, Obama aside, in regards to ''good X-Men movies''; there have been four, the first two X-Men films, First Class and the best, Days of Futures Past; and despite Marvel-D listers making good films, there hasn't been development of a strong female character.

There's a lot of ''could'' but I point to past evidence of the portrayal of Lois Lane; using Man of Steel is relevant because it's evidence, the film swatted her aside and made her a damsel in distress.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

@soldierofel said:

As much as I'd like to see that I don't think it's a good idea to kill Lois so soon. Especially since Amy Adams loves Lois Lane considering she tried out for the role 4 times before MoS

It depends when they should kill her (I think they should).

Superman is 35 in Dawn of Justice, by Man of Steel 2 he will be around 40 I presume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.