Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Batman in BvS shows how awful MoS Superman really is

• 98 results
    jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@leakywigs said:

I don´t think I said he was a horrible actor, but he´s horrible for the role and they could have got a more serious acto if they wanted me to take superman´s villains seriously. I was hoping Joaquin Pheonix. I would love to see what he would do.

Wanting a better actor is fine, but what you were implying made it sound as if SNyder wanted to short change Superman and give him a bad Luthor. It's a billion dollar empire, casting calls like that don't happen because of spite.

One question, because I do think Snyder has short changed Superman, whether purposely or not, he hasn´t taken the character of Lex very seriously...

Do you think Snyder would have cast Jessie Eisenberg as The Joker? It is disrespectful to cast an actor of Jessie´s callibre as Superman´s greatest foe. Pure disrespect.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@jphulk26 said:
    @saintwildcard said:

Wanting a better actor is fine, but what you were implying made it sound as if SNyder wanted to short change Superman and give him a bad Luthor. It's a billion dollar empire, casting calls like that don't happen because of spite.

One question, because I do think Snyder has short changed Superman, whether purposely or not, he hasn´t taken the character of Lex very seriously...

Do you think Snyder would have cast Jessie Eisenberg as The Joker? It is disrespectful to cast an actor of Jessie´s callibre as Superman´s greatest foe. Pure disrespect.

If that's the vision he had for Joker, yes. Look at Leto's JOker, he has his teeth knocked out. It's why he has the grill. That's not a usual look for the Joker but it's the directors vision of the JOker. Luthor has been imagined as a mad scientist, real estate shark and a corporate fat cat. While my ideal Luthor is the current one or Red Son, I can see what they are going for with this Luthor. Kevin Smith said it best, he is the antithesis to Superman. I don't wanna say Superman is dumb, but his power does outweigh his brains by miles. Luthor is the opposite of that (or is meant to in this incarnation). It's visual symbolism. At the end of the day Luthor isn't a character who should be judged by his size or voice, but his brains and his personality. It's not like Lex is gonna get in a fist fight with Superman. Also, while I might not be crazy about this casting, he is an emmy nominated actor, so it's not like he's a bad actor

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By jphulk26

@saintwildcard said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @saintwildcard said:

If that's the vision he had for Joker, yes. Look at Leto's JOker, he has his teeth knocked out. It's why he has the grill. That's not a usual look for the Joker but it's the directors vision of the JOker. Luthor has been imagined as a mad scientist, real estate shark and a corporate fat cat. While my ideal Luthor is the current one or Red Son, I can see what they are going for with this Luthor. Kevin Smith said it best, he is the antithesis to Superman. I don't wanna say Superman is dumb, but his power does outweigh his brains by miles. Luthor is the opposite of that (or is meant to in this incarnation). It's visual symbolism. At the end of the day Luthor isn't a character who should be judged by his size or voice, but his brains and his personality. It's not like Lex is gonna get in a fist fight with Superman. Also, while I might not be crazy about this casting, he is an emmy nominated actor, so it's not like he's a bad actor

He´s an oscar nominated actor as well. Well deserved. His performance in the social network, outstanding. But he still was acting like Jessie Eisenberg. His performance was just a slightly better version of what he does in every movie I´ve seen him in and that is not Lex Luthor.

Jared Leto is a million times better actor than Jessie and I never had a problem with an interesting take on a character; however, Jessie Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is not an interesting take on Lex, it´s just assinine.

Having said that, if they are going for more of a Red Son take on the character, that might be the ONLY version of Lex I could see Eisenberg as good as. Especially the young version of Lex in the book. Not so much the older Lex in Red Son.

But he needs to have absolute intellectual vanity, a genius in everything, with a complete disdain for humanities simplicity, and be brilliant beyond all imagination. The guy whose always playing chess and is 50 steps ahead of even Batman. But still, even that incarnation, there were so many better actors. I can´t see Eisenberg as the corprate mogal, presidential candidate type, slick guy Lex, whose also a genius; but as the arrogant, snarky, pure scientist, chess player Lex, perhaps he can be passable.

The thing is Red Son Lex is a lot more limited (even though I love him) than the usual multifasited, more complex Lex like say in All-Star.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.