Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Arkham Knight Superman Eastereggs!

• 54 results
    Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

Numerous references to Superman and Lex Luthor in Arkham Knight. Let's keep our fingers crossed that a game gets made! Here are the easter eggs from the game!

Superman:

There's a picture of Metropolis that advertises for an airline which you can see around the city (mostly indoors.) In the top right corner you can see a red streak which isn't a bird, or a plane, but Superman!

Thugs reference the Man of Steel multiple times. One of them being "You know the only thing that's missing is if that freak from Metropolis flew in here." which I totally agree with.

"Haha, man we got this city locked down. I thought taking over a place like this would be hard." to which his ally replies "Yeah, who knows? Maybe the Knight will have us hit Metropolis next time." The former thug then says "Hah! No way man. You think the Bat is tough to kill? You don't wanna go up against the other guy in a cape."

"That'll teach him. Who does he think he is anyway? Superman?"

"C'mon, man, fifty bucks, pay up." to which Thug 2 says "C'mon, it's not like you guessed it was Wayne." Thug 1 goes on to say "You're the one who put money on him being an alien refugee from a dying planet." Thug 2 responds with "Uhh, coulda sworn I'd heard that before."

At the GCPD, talking to Firefighter Leary-Wood will prompt dialogue that says "Seeing Scarecrow freaking out in that cell, it's making up for a lot of crap I've been through tonight." He goes on to say "So Bruce Wayne, huh? Never would've guessed. Next thing you know someone's gonna tell me Superman's really a janitor. Or no, a journalist."

Lex Luthor:

Thugs have talked about him running for President and that they've seen it on TV.

Thugs have talked about rumors of him having put money into Scarecrow's plot for Gotham in Arkham Knight.

He leaves a personal message to Bruce Wayne's personal office phone in Wayne Tower where he talks about his interest in buying Bruce's tech division and how he's apparently offering $1,000,000,000 for it.

There are also the Lex Corp signs and buildings throughout Gotham City.

Be sure to check out my thread on the idea of aSuperman game! I have over 3,000 views so far and would love more feedback! Do keep in mind it is still a rough draft!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I have to give it credit for the cool Superman Easter Eggs if nothing else. This one's pretty funny and topical too what with Truth going on atm.

Loading Video...

This doesn't confirm a Superman game though.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@lvenger: Of course it doesn't confirm or deny one, but we can hope. As for that one, that's hilarious.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: Unfortunately, several of Rocksteady's developers have outright stated in interviews when asked about making a Superman game that he's a near impossible character to make the right game for. Moreover, just because Rocksteady have made the best series of Batman games to date doesn't guarantee they can come close to replicating that success with Superman. There are different mechanics, environments, gameplay and narrative storytelling factors which do separate a Superman game from a Batman one.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

He nice ones, I really wanted an appearance though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still hoping for a cameo in future Arkham Knight DLC, it would be a huge twist in actually including someone from outside the Batman universe in a Batman game.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

World Finest confirmed lol

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

I'm still hoping for a cameo in future Arkham Knight DLC, it would be a huge twist in actually including someone from outside the Batman universe in a Batman game.

Hope so. It will be great fan-service and with Rockstar saying this is their last Batman game it is a perfect opportunity to get another hero or team a try. Personally I would beg for a good Superman game.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

Hope so. It will be great fan-service and with Rockstar saying this is their last Batman game it is a perfect opportunity to get another hero or team a try. Personally I would beg for a good Superman game.

Believe me, I want nothing more than the same thing, Superman needed a good game long before Batman did, at least with Batman's trilogy out of the way, DC and game developers can look at attracting similar attention with another DC superhero. An authentic gaming experience of being Superman like Rocksteady have done with Batman would make me a happy guy.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

Believe me, I want nothing more than the same thing, Superman needed a good game long before Batman did, at least with Batman's trilogy out of the way, DC and game developers can look at attracting similar attention with another DC superhero. An authentic gaming experience of being Superman like Rocksteady have done with Batman would make me a happy guy.

I wonder if those references about Superman in Arkham Knight have something to do with the rumored cameo from before. Maybe a nudge to fans, an acknowledgement of the rumors.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: It's certainly possible, there haven't been this many overt Superman references in an Arkham game before Arkham Knight and I've played the first 3. This has the highest and most explicit references to Superman and his world, which may be kind of indicative of something, but Rocksteady are insisting they're taking a break from making games for now due to the time and effort spent on Arkham Knight.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Well deserved time at that. We also have to remember that WB has Montreal at their disposal. I could see them working on a Flash or Green Arrow game while Rocksteady possibly picks up Superman. I personally trust Rocksteady's competence and experience enough to believe they could do it. I've seen an interview where they were asked if they thought they could make a Superman game, with the answer being "I think we could do it" from Sefton Hill which is pretty neat. Speaking of Sefton Hill, I found an easteregg of him at the very beginning of the game that I haven't seen anyone else mention. Right when you walk into the diner with the FPS, you see him on the right waving goodbye.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: Montreal has a tricky reputation though, Origins was met with mixed reception critically and from fans. Rocksteady do have the competence I suppose but the experience is entirely debatable. They're very experienced making Batman games now but making a Superman game is a different type of game altogether. No one's gotten the right kind of game thus far, and it would be a much greater effort and task for Rocksteady to manage. Recreating the same kind of formula they had with the Arkham games on Superman would not be an easy task.

Haha, really, there's an Easter Egg with Hill at the start of the game? Nice, I haven't seen that in the opening cutscenes for Arkham Knight before, will have to look out for that next time I watch the cutscenes.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are rumors that they are looking to do a Superman game

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: True, Origins is regarded as the worst in the series. Even then it wasn't a bad game at all. When I said experience I meant the gameplay they've worked with and the amount of content/how they went about it that gives me their trust. It would definitely be a different formula, but I don't see it straying too far from what they've been doing. Superman Returns got some things right, though most of the game lacked and needed improvement. It wouldn't be easy, for sure.

Yeah, I wonder if I'm the only one to see it so far. xD

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Lex is running for president you have your plot for a Superman game, I made a tread year ago about the plot and I was dead on correct, the only thing Rocksteady needs to improve on to do Superman is #1 BOSS BATTLES Superman is a Epic character he needs to have visually and gameplay changing boss battles. Rocksteady might work harder on a Superman game because they haven't been very good when bosses on concerned. Superman is a perfect step for the studio and I wish them luck because at this point I know its happening even if I am wrong. They seem to be following in that direction and I wish Rocksteady luck, any other character with no superpowers would've have been repetitive and they would be accused of lack of innovation. Lex is running for president in this universe so we have a plot in mind meaning expect General Sam Lane and Superman's earth based villains like parasite,metallo, silver banshee, atomic skull being used by the government to take Superman down.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm hoping they make the superman game and wish them all the luck. Rocksteady got fked by the PC port company, they ruined it when porting Arkham Knight to PC, of course it's lot easier to blame Rocksteady instead

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@drudox19: I also came up with something involving his presidency in a thread I posted back in March. Still on the Superman forums first page I think. Making Superman would make things easier, but also bring difficulties. Superman can punch enemies and destroy vehicles no problem, while Batman cannot. They'd have to have a larger map and wouldn't be able to focus on detail as much. I could see them hiring more people or even having another studio aid them. There's so many interesting things one could include in a Superman game. Villains I'd love to see in the first game are Lex, Parasite, Metallo, Livewire, etc. I think they could make for some interesting battles.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just heard this one: i would rather take over gotham than keystone. at least you can see batman coming

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@drudox19: I could see them begin work on Superman, while WB Montreal releases a different DC character game within the next couple of years to fill the gap. I have a feeling towards it being Green Arrow or Flash given their jump in popularity. Oliver Queen was referenced in their Batman game as well. I'd prefer a Flash game, as I see Arrow being quite similar to Bats. Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to potentially rid Superman of his curse within the gaming industry as they did Batman.

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: Yeah I feel with Superman to keep it tame they have to make him face his earth based foes first, don't blow your load on Zod, Phantom Zone, Brainiac, Darkseid and Apokolips and Mongul. Leave his space villains out of the game but reference them I feel like Lex and General Sam Lane will be the main villains and the narrative has to work and reflect what is going on.

Paul Dini may come back and write if they do Superman cause he did say he wasn't going to write again till WB did the same treatment with batman has they did to other super-powered characters.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: Yeah, that's a pretty cool Wally West reference. It could be Barry and he's simply in Keystone in this universe, but who knows? There's a picture around where it says "Run to Keystone" and shows a red line zipping passed a woman in a city, quite similar to the "Fly to Metropolis" with a red streak in the right corner coming out of the clouds.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: i just heard another one saying: so theres more like batman. yeah in keystone, star city, central cityy, bludhaven. oh well this could be a running gig then.

kinda like a reference to making more games with different characters

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@drudox19: I do remember Paul saying he'd be interested in doing a Superman game. Geoff Johns has also expressed interest if I recall correctly. As for the villains, I totally agree. I wouldn't overload on the more powerful ones such as Darkseid, Mongul, Doomsday, Zod, etc. I could see one of them showing up in the first game, but no more than that. I don't think I'd like Mongul showing up in the same game as Darkseid unless it made sense within the narrative.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: Oh wow, I have yet to hear that one. Quite interesting. That makes the second Green Arrow reference and the 3rd Flash for me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: No I don't think it was either but compared to the other Arkham games, it does fall down in quality when you compare it to Rocksteady's trilogy. On the formula, I can see Detective Vision being a good starting point for Superman's superhuman senses and side missions could be incorporated into Superman's narrative fairly easily. But the scale, movement around the environment and combat would have to be radically redesigned and reconstructed, though maybe they could borrow elements from Superman Returns, as mediocre a game that it is, since it's technically the best Superman game.

I found the Easter egg you mentioned of Sefton Hill waving by the way, can't believe I missed it till now.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lvenger: Heck they could just have Superman be DLC as a free roam character with a few small special missions like some thugs got hold of some Lex Corp equipment or something. Since he's just a DLC character they don't have to radically make things TOO different to house him, BUT it would let them get a feel for a potential game if they were so inclined

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: That's certainly not a bad idea, but I doubt Rocksteady would want to just make a Superman DLC game. If they were to make a Superman game, they tend to try and give the complete experience. Why make a DLC when you can wait and make a full game that will get more attention and sales from it? Though a trial DLC might not be a bad idea in my opinion.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lvenger: I'm just saying, if they wanna toy around with potential mechanics having Supes as the star of a DLC wouldn't be the WORST thing they could do. Might actually be pretty well timed with Dawn of Justice coming out next year too.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

The one character that will get a video game last is Flash.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before the game came out I said that all I wanted was Superman to be acknowledged, instead of just Metropolis

Now I want a whole Justice League game

Though with AK ending I doubt it would take place in this universe, a prequel maybe?

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyfire: Many assume Bruce is still Batman and faked his death so he's the Caped Crusader full-time. I could see it being in this universe if there was eventually a JL game. I don't see them jumping straight to that though.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@saintwildcard: I've talked with someone from Bottlerocket Entertainment who was helping make the Flash game back in 2008 about what they were doing with it. Sounded pretty interesting. Shame it was cancelled.

Here's a video of some very early footage. The game had only been worked on 6 months. It would have been far more pleasing in terms of aesthetics had they been able to do more.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a few flash and green arrow ones too. Keystone and Star city is mentioned, a thugs randomly says "I don't want to go to Keystone, at least you can see Batman coming.", there's a red and yellow blur on a poster advertising Keystone, and a some thugs talk about green arrows beard. I know that's not superman stuff but it's somewhat relevant.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saintwildcard: I've talked with someone from Bottlerocket Entertainment who was helping make the Flash game back in 2008 about what they were doing with it. Sounded pretty interesting. Shame it was cancelled.

I honestly don't know how it would work. All he does is run fast.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@saintwildcard: Very true. They had an early combat system going for the game and said they were going to try and put in as many villains as possible. Honestly, I'm not sure how it would work without thinking about it for some time. I was told they had trouble when it came to making turns because Flash was going too fast for players to react and make the turn. I'd honestly go with something like bullet time to make the decision or something of the like.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: They talk about Oliver's beard? Bahaha, that's fantastic. I haven't heard that one yet.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: As I said, not a bad idea in itself, but that would result in some use of BvS themes probably by having Superman and Batman square off in a fight or something like that. I have a feeling the next DC game developer would rather make a Batman/Superman game than a pure Superman game by itself. At least the Batman mechanics already have a blueprint to work from, whereas Superman gameplay mechanics and building a game around him is a new concept by itself.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Someone asked different developers if a good Superman game was possible a few years ago, and the majority of them said it was. The one dev representing WB Montreal presented ideas on how it could work, and the two devs representing Rocksteady said they could make it happen themselves. The Creative Director at WB Games was extremely confident about a Superman game, and added he expects one to happen soon. He stated the biggest problem would be the control scheme and what enemies Supes would be facing. Not sure if you saw the vid I'm talking about but it was interesting to see their takes.

We also know from Johns that WB has been tossing around ideas for a Superman game as well so it's interesting to note. I agree with your point on if RS is even the right dev for Superman. I've echoed it before and it's spot on. Batman and Superman are two completely different characters, and it's a separate experience altogether. Rocksteady could probably do it, but it's not guaranteed to be good just because the Arkham games.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied: Do you know the link for this video by the way? I'd be interested in seeing this interview after reading what you've said happened. As for the creative director of WB games, he pretty much hits the nail on the head regarding the biggest problems of a Superman game, the control scheme and enemies would need careful thought.

I know Johns is involved in DC's TV shows and film scripts as part of his job, but I haven't heard him reference WB games specifically looking to make a Superman game. Didn't think he'd be privy to that kind of information but maybe he is. And since you share my point that Rocksteady might not be the right developer to make a Superman game, who do you think would be in the best position to make a Superman game?

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zaied

@lvenger: Link (sorry for bad format, I'm on mobile) - https://youtu.be/V_UFEhKXMUk

WB Games Director speaks at 6:40, and Rocksteady are at the end of the video. The others gave interesting answers, especially the guy representing Capcom.

Here's the quote from Johns on a Superman game:

"We talk about it a lot, about how flipping up robots for four hours would get old. I think all games come down to gameplay and the right studio. I’m sure the right studio could crack it. Rocksteady has a real passion for Batman, and I think that’s why they make a great game."

As for who I think could handle Superman in terms of gameplay, I'd say Avalanche Studios. The Just Cause games are similar in scope to how I'd envision a Superman game. Whether they could do the character justice with a good story is another matter.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lvenger: Rocksteady might not have the right mind set for a Superman game, but Platinum Games could probably do one and make it amazing, with their love for over the top fight and epic scale in boss fights I think it is they who could do Superman justice. Shame it in unlikely to happen.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@zaied: I said the same thing in my "Superman Game Ideas!" thread. Avalanche or Rocksteady in my opinion. Avalanche has experience with high action gameplay. I could see them doing it. I have a trailer attached to that thread that displays what surroundings look like in Just Cause 3, and I personally feel it'd be a great atmosphere for Superman. Though I'm skeptical as to whether they'd be capable of doing his character justice, not to mention a good story.

P.S. I have Just Cause 2 mods that allow me to fly around at what seems to be around the speed of sound while in a Man of Steel skin (sadly there is no cape :P.)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lvenger

@zaied: Thanks for the video link, I'll check it out. So it's more than WB games, Rocksteady and Capcom developers who are in this video I assume? I've played Just Cause 2 from Avalanche studios so I get what you mean regarding their ability to get the scope of a Superman game right. Not sure they'd have enough people who would be familiar enough with the character's lore either from the comics, cartoons or movies to work on the project.

@titanbreaker said:

@lvenger: Rocksteady might not have the right mind set for a Superman game, but Platinum Games could probably do one and make it amazing, with their love for over the top fight and epic scale in boss fights I think it is they who could do Superman justice. Shame it in unlikely to happen.

Think I've heard of Platinum Games from their infamous Bayonetta games. And also that Legend of Korra arcade game. I've seen what kind of boss battles Bayonetta had and it'd certainly be cool for Superman to fight similarly epic boss battles. Whether they could create the right story, atmosphere and environment for a Superman game story is another matter though. Modern games have needed both story and gameplay to be successful these days.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Bayonetta is one such example of there sense of scale and such but I was also thinking Metal Gear Rising where again you toss around things 30 times your size all while fighting in a city. I agree a good story would be needed as unlike the Arkham games you can't just throw all of Superman's villains into a building/small city and go beat them up.

JKFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually liked this game enough to find the Easter eggs? I thought it was a game for edgy teenagers (like me, but IMO I'm not going to be represented by the crap that is Arkham Knight).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: Is that the MGS game starring Raiden instead of Solid Snake? Also I hadn't thought about how the villains would be contained, Arkham Knight has you capture and imprison almost all the villains yourself, Superman's villains would be significantly harder to imprison even after you defeat them. Hopefully that's being considered as part of the game design too.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Strikers Island is one of the best DC prisons located in metropolis so that could house Atomic Skull, Parasite, Metallo, Ruin, Silver Banshee ect. Phantom zone for people like Zod, Mongul and other world busting threats and for beings such as Braniac just smash em!

However even 1 of these guys would be a huge deal running around although a massive breakout in strikers could be a good way to get the earth based guys on the lose and keep Superman's attention away from someone breaking into his fortress trying to release Zod or something. IDK.

And yes that is the game with Raiden in.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.