Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Are comic fans racist against Superman?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was just re-watching the Batman Vs Superman trailer and realized that the way people treat him in the trailer is very close to how immigrants are treated in real life. The chant "Go home, go home, go home!" has an eerie similarity to the chants we´d come to expect from bigots and simple-minded people. Yet, for some reason, most comicfandom supports Batman in this fight, who seems to be the leader of these simple minded bigots. What does that say about us?

I personally am on team Superman. But hey, that´s obvious right. What are your thoughts. Are we racist towards Superman?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: well since the DCEU it's a grounded version of the DCU you need to take in consideration that how people in real life would react to having an alien around. I just want Superman to be clearly the more powerful guy in the fight, with the fight being interrupted.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@kfabz-23: Yeah thats what I was thinking too and yeah I kind of want the fight to go that way too.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Would like it shown Superman is clearly holding back and still overpowering batman before someone intrupts my bet is WW but could also be Luthor/ another threat.

I doubt the tech in the current grounded DC world could build a suit of armor that could stand up to Superman, hell even the suit in dark knight barley worked and that was against a weakened hiding back Superman.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Saren

It might suggest we are simple-minded people if we take such a reductionist approach to complex social issues based on lines from a movie trailer where the circumstances behind that message are drastically different. Further, it would suggest an inability both to understand the facets of a social issue in the real world as well as how this need to ascribe commentary is a symptom of certain limitations of 2 hour films.

Fortunately, we are not simple-minded people, yes?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

People aren't racist or agressive in a different way towards Superman. At least most of them and us aren't. But the ones that are actually are in both comic books and real life are living proof to us all that no matter what good or what kind of miracle someone performs, there will always be someone out there who will question him and will not accept him as he is.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people are racist as much as paranoid. People witnessing a man with God-like powers. So of course people will be skeptical about this. Superman going through Xmen type of dilemma. He's saving the world that are afraid and despised him.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i think that is probably an allegory of some sort or at least we could easily draw comparisons to superman as an alien and actual immigrants if thats what you mean

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything, you could call them 'speciesists'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is a super powered alien who destroyed a city and many buildings around the world. Other kryptonians tried to take over the world and kill everyone. They have every right to hate superman and are not bigots.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jphulk26 said:

I was just re-watching the Batman Vs Superman trailer and realized that the way people treat him in the trailer is very close to how immigrants are treated in real life. The chant "Go home, go home, go home!" has an eerie similarity to the chants we´d come to expect frombigots and simple-minded people. Yet, for some reason, most comicfandom supports Batman in this fight, who seems to be the leader of these simple minded bigots. What does that say about us?

No Caption Provided

All I'll say is that people have legit, totally non raciest reasons for not being fans of illegal immigrants. Normal immigrants = Good, illegal immigrants = not good, which is why the "illegal" is part of it.

On to the topic at hand however.

Superman destroyed the entire city, at the same time Bruce was there seeing the destruction first hand and saving people.

Loading Video...

Now of course I know that it was the generals doing, but Batman doesn't know that. It seems reasonable to assume Superman sees Batman as a demon like entity, so I understand why they're fighting, and sympathize with them both. Let it also be noted that an alien with amazing powers comeing from a different planet out of no where it would make him look like some kind of conqueror, understandably so. However I'm on team Batman for the reason I'd root for him in the comics. If Superman went crazy he's the only one who could stop him. Superman made that clear when he physically put kryptonite in a lead box and handed it to Batman, saying he's the only one he can trust. "Well Superman would never do that!" or "what if his plans fell in the wrong hands?!" you might say. The Justice League proved to be susceptible to mind control in Endgame, when ONLY BATMAN WITH HIS PLANS was able to stop them.

All in all their supposed "bigotry" and "paranoia" is a necessary "evil".

@jayc1324 said:

Superman is a super powered alien who destroyed a city and many buildings around the world. Other kryptonians tried to take over the world and kill everyone. They have every right to hate superman and are not bigots.

I don't think people are racist as much as paranoid. People witnessing a man with God-like powers. So of course people will be skeptical about this. Superman going through Xmen type of dilemma. He's saving the world that are afraid and despised him.

This.

Avatar image for pageonepanelone
    PageOnePanelOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PageOnePanelOne

I for one think our country was better off before we started letting the krypties in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.