Andy Diggle to replace Grant Morrison?

#1 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool has been hearing a lot of rumors about Andy Diggle replacing Grant Morrison on Action Comics come January. Apparently Diggle has even tweeted something about getting the "biggest job f his career" (read all about it at Bleeding Cool: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/20/andy-diggle-to-take-on-action-comics-after-grant-morrison/). Honestly, if this is true, Diggle's selection comes a a big shock to me. I don't think I would have pegged him as a Superman writer.

There are a lot of positives to Andy Diggle. Like Grant Morrison, Diggle is British, critically acclaimed, and had a great deal of success as a Vertigo writer. His series The Losers is well-regarded and was turned into a major motion picture. He had a good run on Swamp thing and I enjoyed his Thunderbolts. If Andy was selected to take Grant's place, I imagine it's because he's an intelligent writer who has the ability to think outside the box. There's a chance that he could be the man for the job.

The major thing that makes me hesitant about Andy Diggle writing Action Comics is that he's not really known for his work on superheroes and he's not really known for enjoying the task of writing superheroes. Rich Johnston even went so far as to say that Diggle has shown disdain for the superhero genre as a whole. I can't confirm this not having read many interviews with Andy, but if Rich said it then I'd trust his word. Part of what makes Grant Morrison's work on superheroes so special isn't just Grant's intelligence or his ability to write unique stories but also the fact that Grant cares about the superhero genre and puts a lot of thought into keeping it relevant to our world, philosophy, and politics. If Diggle really doesn't like writing superheroes then how can he possibly replace Grant writing Superman?

This brings me back to Brian Azzarello's run on Superman. Brian's excellent work on 100 Bullets and Hellblazer won him the job of writing Superman with Jim Lee on art. Unfortunately, it became increasingly apparent that superhero books weren't Azzarello's first love and his Superman stories suffered as a result. I would even go so far as to accuse him of trying to write Superman without paying much attention to Superman in this period. Azzarello wanted to make the story about faith, Middle Eastern politics, and the innocent bystanders more than about Superman. His stories were intelligent and definitely outside the box but they seemed to completely miss the point of Superman and that killed the fun. Could the possible selection of Andy Diggle be a repeat of this or do you think he has the chops to keep the momentum going on Action Comics?

#2 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if this guy is the best choice to be honest.

#3 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe this is exactly what Action Comics needs, someone to "ground" the series. It's just my opinion but I was getting really annoyed with a few of the more Sci-Fi elements that Morrison was introducing, ie. issue #9, the anti-Superman army, and the ending of #12 (specifically having to remember more names like mxyzptlk)

#4 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327 said:

Maybe this is exactly what Action Comics needs, someone to "ground" the series. It's just my opinion but I was getting really annoyed with a few of the more Sci-Fi elements that Morrison was introducing, ie. issue #9, the anti-Superman army, and the ending of #12 (specifically having to remember more names like mxyzptlk)

This criticism always puzzles me. Superman's origin is sort of steeped in Science Fiction. I mean he's an alien who has superpowers thanks to a wacky bit of psuedo-science. The whole concept isn't "grounded" in and of itself. Shouldn't that open the plots up to limitless planes of speculative fiction? I guess you like what you like, but that's always been half the fun of Superman for me.

#5 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327 said:

This criticism always puzzles me. Superman's origin is sort of steeped in Science Fiction. I mean he's an alien who has superpowers thanks to a wacky bit of psuedo-science. The whole concept isn't "grounded" in and of itself. Shouldn't that open the plots up to limitless planes of speculative fiction? I guess you like what you like, but that's always been half the fun of Superman for me.

That's a good point, but despite his sci-fi origin I always felt like Supes was one of the most grounded superheroes around due to his parents, wife (now crush), and friends. I suppose I've always preferred stories that focus more on the Clark Kent side of Superman, rather then focussing on the Alien side of him.

#6 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327 said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327 said:

That's a good point, but despite his sci-fi origin I always felt like Supes was one of the most grounded superheroes around due to his parents, wife (now crush), and friends. I suppose I've always preferred stories that focus more on the Clark Kent side of Superman, rather then focussing on the Alien side of him.

Fair enough. Everyone has their personal preferences. Just out of curiosity, what specific Superman stories fill this more grounded quota for you?

#7 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327 said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327 said:

Fair enough. Everyone has their personal preferences. Just out of curiosity, what specific Superman stories fill this more grounded quota for you?

I really liked Superman For All Seasons.

#8 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327:

That's cool. Loeb and Sale do some good work. I suppose from my perspective, I've always been a little weary of stories that go out of their way to try and emphasize how human Superman is despite his great power. I've always seen Superman as someone whose powers would naturally separate him from the rest of humanity in very specific ways. I like the fact that his simple, Kansas upbringing colors his morality and personality. However, I always felt that someone like Superman would have to be very different from your every day man simply because he can do, see, and experience things most people will never get a chance to. It's hard for me to believe that those powers wouldn't change a person's personality and perspective into something more ascended and cosmic. It's just hard for me to believe that someone who can leap into space is just another one of the guys. So, I'll admit that my tastes go for the sci-fi and overpowered stories more than the ones that try to emphasize his humanity. I never found Clark all that interesting.

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

RE the op, Azzarello didgreat work on Wonder Woman which is basically a superhero book.

#10 Posted by Dernman (15128 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327:

I always felt that someone like Superman would have to be very different from your every day man simply because he can do, see, and experience things most people will never get a chance to. It's hard for me to believe that those powers wouldn't change a person's personality and perspective into something more ascended and cosmic.

Not me. I always imagined he had to consciously use his senses to be aware of the the things he is sensing. Unless something special breaks though to his subconscious and alerts him. For me it also explains why it explains he can have a life other then being a Superhero. Otherwise he would have to ignore people in danger if he didn't want to spend every second saving people.
#11 Posted by Lvenger (20039 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a good resume, that cannot be argued but if Diggle doesn't like the superhero genre that much, that could be a problem when writing for the first and arguably greatest superhero. We'll have to wait to see how this pans out.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7491 posts) - - Show Bio

Diggle seems like an odd choice, because he's more about street level characters. On the contrary, Green Arrow: Year One is my favorite Green Arrow story ever told, so maybe he's got a good idea for Superman.

#13 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they weave a Superman story that is consistent, I am good with whoever wants to write.

#14 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Diggle under contract with Marvel?

#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Thanks.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio

YES YES YES.
BB

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give him a shot. Green Arrow: Year One was fantastic.

#19 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327:

I always felt that someone like Superman would have to be very different from your every day man simply because he can do, see, and experience things most people will never get a chance to. It's hard for me to believe that those powers wouldn't change a person's personality and perspective into something more ascended and cosmic.

Not me. I always imagined he had to consciously use his senses to be aware of the the things he is sensing. Unless something special breaks though to his subconscious and alerts him. For me it also explains why it explains he can have a life other then being a Superhero. Otherwise he would have to ignore people in danger if he didn't want to spend every second saving people.

Sure, the man must have some way to filter or dull his super senses just so he can get things done. However, this is immaterial to my point. The fact remains that he's experienced leaping to the stars, he knows what it's like to have bullets bounce off his chest, he can hear the song of crickets miles away, and he wrestled bulls when he was ten. You don't experience things like this and develop into being just like everyone else. The experience of his super senses and abilities, regardless of whether he can block them out at times, would effect who he is as a person. To give a real life parallel, it's sort of like how some soldiers come back from war and can't adjust to everyday civilian life because their experiences beyond the scope of normal have changed who they are on the inside. Superman's powers should have this kind of effect on him.

I've also never bought the idea that as Clark Kent he really has much of a normal life. People with normal lives have career goals, hobbies, and minor inconveniences that get in the way. What's Superman's career goal: To be Superman. Otherwise he would have picked a job like politician, scientist, or CEO where his work could have more influence on the world around him. He chose for Clark to be a reporter because it helped him stay alert to up to date emergencies and gave him the freedom to spend most of his day solving problems as Superman. What are his hobbies? Being Superman is the greatest adventure there is so he doesn't need to go white water rafting or to play basketball on his off-time to have some fun. What could be more fun than having a space or arctic fortress and a club of superheroes? What minor inconveniences could possibly get in his way with all his powers? Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is Superman. You can't just stop being Superman if you're Superman. His entire life is about using his powers to do some good and everything he decides about his life is geared toward that decision. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the fact that he's a normal dude.

#20 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Back to the OP, Diggle has done some good work on superheroes. I hear his Adam Strange run wasn't bad and it's good to hear that a lot of you enjoyed his Green Arrow: Year One story. He is a great writer and I definitely believe in his capabilities. I would just be concerned if he really didn't like superheroes since Superman is the quintessential superhero comic.

I just hope he continues to tell the story of the Superman that Morrison developed.

#21 Posted by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't he responsible for the crap fest that was Shadowland. It was the definition of terrible.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio

@BushidoBlack said:

Wasn't he responsible for the crap fest that was Shadowland. It was the definition of terrible.

He's also made good stuff as well :-/
BB

#23 Posted by Dernman (15128 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jekylhyde14: Well we will have to agree to disagree especially that it was his goal in like was to be Superman. Personally I feel that all Clark want out of life was to be like everyone else but because he is who he is couldn't help but be more.
#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33486 posts) - - Show Bio

If this turns out to be true I'll be happy 

#25 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

I've also never bought the idea that as Clark Kent he really has much of a normal life. People with normal lives have career goals, hobbies, and minor inconveniences that get in the way. What's Superman's career goal: To be Superman. Otherwise he would have picked a job like politician, scientist, or CEO where his work could have more influence on the world around him. He chose for Clark to be a reporter because it helped him stay alert to up to date emergencies and gave him the freedom to spend most of his day solving problems as Superman. What are his hobbies? Being Superman is the greatest adventure there is so he doesn't need to go white water rafting or to play basketball on his off-time to have some fun. What could be more fun than having a space or arctic fortress and a club of superheroes? What minor inconveniences could possibly get in his way with all his powers? Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is Superman. You can't just stop being Superman if you're Superman. His entire life is about using his powers to do some good and everything he decides about his life is geared toward that decision. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the fact that he's a normal dude.

The problem with that is the same as with every Superman since his inception: If he doesn't really want to be Clark, why is he Clark? Why not just ditch the secret identity thing, announce to the world who he really is and then spend the whole day as Superman? You can't tell me he needs to be a reporter just to stay alert and up to date. He's Superman. He can just listen for microsecond and know everything going on in the city. There is literally no reason for him to have a normal life, unless he wants to have a normal life.

#26 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

The problem with that is the same as with every Superman since his inception: If he doesn't really want to be Clark, why is he Clark? Why not just ditch the secret identity thing, announce to the world who he really is and then spend the whole day as Superman? You can't tell me he needs to be a reporter just to stay alert and up to date. He's Superman. He can just listen for microsecond and know everything going on in the city. There is literally no reason for him to have a normal life, unless he wants to have a normal life.

But, see, even there you're admitting that he's making the CHOICE to be Clark Kent. If you are really Clark Kent then you wouldn't need to make that choice. I'm also not lobbying to get rid of Clark Kent, here. I like Clark. Clark also gives Superman way to personally connect with the people he protects that he couldn't achieve as Superman which is another important reason he keeps the identity. Having a normal life really doesn't factor into it, though. He's NEVER had a normal life and he NEVER will because he's Superman. If he wanted to have a normal life then he'd use his powers to get ahead in business or to do party tricks on weekends. The fact that he is Superman means he has to sacrifice the ability to have a normal life. You can't be the worlds greatest hero and just another dude. It DOESN'T work like that. He fights with gods and zooms through the cosmos and that is not a normal life. But who needs it when you're Superman? His life and adventures are so much better.

#27 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Jekylhyde14: Well we will have to agree to disagree especially that it was his goal in like was to be Superman. Personally I feel that all Clark want out of life was to be like everyone else but because he is who he is couldn't help but be more.

If that's the way you see it, cool. That just seems like such a sad goal for someone who has Superman' abilities: To be just like everyone else. Because he isn't like everyone else. He is so much more because, instead of using his powers for personal gain or to tell everyone else what to do, he became Superman and dedicated his life to helping people smaller than he is. That's why Superman is the most important identity in his life because it represents who he truly is: The man who dedicated his great gifts and life to others. Why would that man want to be like everyone else?

#28 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327 said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@polo327 said:

Clark Kent is booooooring.

#29 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

But, see, even there you're admitting that he's making the CHOICE to be Clark Kent. If you are really Clark Kent then you wouldn't need to make that choice. I'm also not lobbying to get rid of Clark Kent, here. I like Clark. Clark also gives Superman way to personally connect with the people he protects that he couldn't achieve as Superman which is another important reason he keeps the identity. Having a normal life really doesn't factor into it, though. He's NEVER had a normal life and he NEVER will because he's Superman. If he wanted to have a normal life then he'd use his powers to get ahead in business or to do party tricks on weekends. The fact that he is Superman means he has to sacrifice the ability to have a normal life. You can't be the worlds greatest hero and just another dude. It DOESN'T work like that. He fights with gods and zooms through the cosmos and that is not a normal life. But who needs it when you're Superman? His life and adventures are so much better.

Meh, I can rephrase the question in a way so he's not making a choice, but it doesn't change the point, which you yourself reinforce. There is no rational reason for Clark, as Superman's alter-ego, to exist (And no, connecting with people personally isn't one. Superman is the most amiable guy in the world. He's the guy everyone wants to have a beer with. He shouldn't have problem making friends, especially on a full time identity). The only way you can justify Clark Kent's existence is if he identifies himself as Clark rather than as Superman. Don't get me wrong here either, I doubt he has much of a normal life either way, but I think that, if he had a choice of whether to be an ordinary reporter or the world's greatest hero, he'd pick being a reporter. He wouldn't be a reporter in the first place if that wasn't something he loved doing.

You say you can't be the both, but I would posit that this is exactly why Superman is great, because he is the world greatest hero and just another dude. Take that away from him and you'd loose a big part of what Superman is, I'd say.

#30 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

Meh, I can rephrase the question in a way so he's not making a choice, but it doesn't change the point, which you yourself reinforce. There is no rational reason for Clark, as Superman's alter-ego, to exist (And no, connecting with people personally isn't one. Superman is the most amiable guy in the world. He's the guy everyone wants to have a beer with. He shouldn't have problem making friends, especially on a full time identity). The only way you can justify Clark Kent's existence is if he identifies himself as Clark rather than as Superman. Don't get me wrong here either, I doubt he has much of a normal life either way, but I think that, if he had a choice of whether to be an ordinary reporter or the world's greatest hero, he'd pick being a reporter. He wouldn't be a reporter in the first place if that wasn't something he loved doing.

You say you can't be the both, but I would posit that this is exactly why Superman is great, because he is the world greatest hero and just another dude. Take that away from him and you'd loose a big part of what Superman is, I'd say.

But didn't we just go through that in Action Comics? He DID abandon his Clark Kent persona and he took on a completely new identity. He told Ms. Nyxly that he'd do as much if she outed his identity. You don't plan on ditching your identity if you actually identify yourself as that person. He DECIDED to go back to being Clark for two reasons: 1) Because he missed the friends he made as Clark and felt sorry for hurting them (which is the whole connecting with people personally thing that I mentioned). 2) Because he realized that he was actually doing some good as a reporter. However, that's MUCH different than taking being a reporter seriously as a career. Clark isn't an ambitious reporter and his stories usually go hand in hand with his crusades as Superman (again, another reason he picked the job to help his never-ending war on crime). If he were born human and like everyone else then MAYBE he would have chosen to be a reporter anyway. But he was born Superman so he knew his greatest mission was always going to be changing the world for the better. That's who he is deep down.

Again, I'm not lobbying to get rid of Clark Kent. I just think that Clark has become a distraction in the Modern Age. In the Golden and Silver Age it was clear that Clark was just a game he used to throw people off his true identity. This new 52 Superman obviously is more dedicated to his heroic works than his persona life. There is only 1 version of Superman that acted like Clark was the more vital identity and he is long gone. Superman, at the end of the day, is Superman. Or maybe I should put it this way: Superman is the REAL Clark. The Clark Kent outside that identity is just a way for him to stay in touch with humanity without being hassled. I don't understand exactly why that isn't enough of a rational for you, but it makes perfect sense to me.

#31 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

But didn't we just go through that in Action Comics? He DID abandon his Clark Kent persona and he took on a completely new identity. He told Ms. Nyxly that he'd do as much if she outed his identity. You don't plan on ditching your identity if you actually identify yourself as that person. He DECIDED to go back to being Clark for two reasons: 1) Because he missed the friends he made as Clark and felt sorry for hurting them (which is the whole connecting with people personally thing that I mentioned). 2) Because he realized that he was actually doing some good as a reporter.

Well, I don't know, I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the spoilers. :(

The gist of it that there is still no actual reason for Clark Kent to exist. Helping with his war on crime and keeping in touch with humanity aren't reasons, they're excuses. Consider that Wonder Woman doesn't have a secret identity and she doesn't have a problem keeping in touch. Wonder Woman is a pretty contrast in that regard. Like Superman, she is powerful enough to have no real need for a secret identity, but unlike Superman she wasn't raised to be a normal human and thus has no compulsion to live as one. We can imagine that, had she been raised on a farm in Kansas, she too would consider her down-to-earth side just as important as the superhero side.

I also think you're wrong about the new 52. Far from being a mask, Clark in AC seemed to me the actual personality of Superman, and his crusades as Superman actually went more hand in hand with his reporting than the other way around. He went after Glenmorgan to help bring him down as a reporter, not the other way around. I also recall him saying how Clark, unlike the firefighter guy, was far more than a mask, and how he was forced to give it up because he feared for his friends. He made a sacrifice, and it was far more than just getting a new mask.

I suppose that's debatable, but the actual Superman comic under Perez, Jurgens and Giffen piled on the Clark aspect pretty heavily, probably more than I've seen it pre-flashpoint in years. So no, far from being less vital, I'd say Clark is more important than ever.

#32 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

But didn't we just go through that in Action Comics? He DID abandon his Clark Kent persona and he took on a completely new identity. He told Ms. Nyxly that he'd do as much if she outed his identity. You don't plan on ditching your identity if you actually identify yourself as that person. He DECIDED to go back to being Clark for two reasons: 1) Because he missed the friends he made as Clark and felt sorry for hurting them (which is the whole connecting with people personally thing that I mentioned). 2) Because he realized that he was actually doing some good as a reporter.

Well, I don't know, I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the spoilers. :(

The gist of it that there is still no actual reason for Clark Kent to exist. Helping with his war on crime and keeping in touch with humanity aren't reasons, they're excuses. Consider that Wonder Woman doesn't have a secret identity and she doesn't have a problem keeping in touch. Wonder Woman is a pretty contrast in that regard. Like Superman, she is powerful enough to have no real need for a secret identity, but unlike Superman she wasn't raised to be a normal human and thus has no compulsion to live as one. We can imagine that, had she been raised on a farm in Kansas, she too would consider her down-to-earth side just as important as the superhero side.

I also think you're wrong about the new 52. Far from being a mask, Clark in AC seemed to me the actual personality of Superman, and his crusades as Superman actually went more hand in hand with his reporting than the other way around. He went after Glenmorgan to help bring him down as a reporter, not the other way around. I also recall him saying how Clark, unlike the firefighter guy, was far more than a mask, and how he was forced to give it up because he feared for his friends. He made a sacrifice, and it was far more than just getting a new mask.

I suppose that's debatable, but the actual Superman comic under Perez, Jurgens and Giffen piled on the Clark aspect pretty heavily, probably more than I've seen it pre-flashpoint in years. So no, far from being less vital, I'd say Clark is more important than ever.

First off, when did I say that the New 52's Clark was just a mask? I said that about the Gold and Silver Age version, but not the new one. All I said was that it was obvious that his career as Superman was more important to him than his identity as Clark Kent and that's apparent because he was willing to temporarily ditch the identity as soon as he thought it might endanger Superman's activities. I actually like the way Morrison's dealt with Clark. He has given Clark more personality than he's had in years and made him useful to Superman's missions. However, it's obvious that Superman is the main identity and that his work as a hero is more important than Clark's personal life. As far as the way Jurgens, Perez, and Giffen have used Clark, what have they done with him really? He's moped and missed a few dates. Not really captivating stuff. How exactly does that make Clark more important than ever?

I'm sorry you don't like my reasons for why Superman keeps his secret identity, but they were the reasons given in the recent issues of Action Comics so that's pretty much the way it is. The Silver Age story where Clark chose to work as a reporter even had him explain to the reader that he did it to keep abreast of breaking news and emergencies. You even help confirm one of my points when you said that Clark as a reporter helped Superman bring down Glenmorgan. He takes the jobs he does as Clark because they help him with his activities as Superman. It's the same reason he chose the firefighter identity. As a firefighter you are kept up to date about emergencies around the city so he can be on the scene if Superman is needed. He would have stuck with that identity too if Batman hadn't helped CONVINCE him that his Clark Kent identity was worth keeping. I'll repeat myself once again: YOU WOULD NOT ABANDON AN IDENTITY IF YOU IDENTIFIED YOURSELF AS THAT PERSON. Superman is sentimental for his Clark identity and he sees what he can do as Clark, but his true and most effective identity will always be Superman.

You're right that Wonder Woman doesn't have an identity now, but she often does have a secret identity: Diana Prince. Like Clark Kent, Diana Prince helps Wonder Woman fit in and interact with humanity without being hassled. This is one of the major points of having a secret identity. That's Superhero 101. I'm not making it up and these aren't excuses.

Finally, I don't hate Clark. I'm not belittling his Kansas upbringing or how much good it did him. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a lot of humanity inside him. What I'm saying is that he's much more than human and that this is what makes him special. His Clark identity does not make him special. It's rare that Clark Kent is even interesting. Superman is his true identity because that's where his passion lies. He committed himself to a never-ending war on crime not to making it as a reporter and raising a family. I'm sorry but he's not really like you and me. He's better.

#33 Posted by entropy_aegis (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he can most certainly write a badass Lex Luthor that's for sure.His Batman vs Luthor arc in Batman confidential was fantastic.

#34 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Well he can most certainly write a badass Lex Luthor that's for sure.His Batman vs Luthor arc in Batman confidential was fantastic.

It's good to know that he wrote a good Luthor story. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Lex in the New 52 as it is. However, it has been easier in the Modern Age for writers to connect with Luthor than with Superman. Paul Cornell had better reviews when his Action Comics featured Lex while Brian Azzarello's Lex Luthor: Man of Steel was received a whole lot better than his run on Superman. Diggle is a great writer but he reminds me more of Azzarello than Morrison. That's my concern.

#35 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that he will be a fine choice. I've been hearing things about a Scott Snyder and Jim Lee Superman series and if that's true, I think I'm fine with him even if it sucks. I'll have my Superman fix from there. 

#36 Posted by TDK_1997 (14897 posts) - - Show Bio

Andy Diggle is a great writer and I think he would handle Superman well and will continue the good work with Action Comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.