Andy Diggle Exits ACTION COMICS, Tony Daniel Steps Up [Update]

• 167 results
#101 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Get it together before you lose a loyal reader.

This is kind of the entire issue at hand...DC doesn't care about loyal readers anymore. Because when a loyal reader stops reading, three more new readers that will (temporarily) boost sales pop up. The whole DCnU is about being 'hip' and 'edgy' in an attempt to appeal to the younger masses.

That's not to say that they're not putting out some good stuff - they most certainly are.

#102 Posted by Fastblender (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloggerboy said:

Can someone make a list of writers/artists that have left DC just prior and during the New 52? I'm sure the list is getting consistently bigger and not just because of the rotating comic business.

And yes, I know Diggle is only leaving Action Comics.

Well, from defchild over at the BleedingCool forums, here's a list of many incidents:

Does Wonder Woman's costume have pants?

The Rozum-McDaniel Static debacle

Liefeld's flame out

George Perez off Superman

Doing Before Watchmen without Moore's approval (and the Roberson affair that ensued)

Gail Simone's firing and re-hiring

Vendetti on then off Constantine

Jim Zubkavich on then off Birds of Prey

Art and Franco finding out Superman Family Adventures is cancelled through Previews

"WTF Certified"

Jerry Ordway's shoddy treatment

Diggle's sudden departure from Action

Fialkov off Green Lantern books (if confirmed)

#103 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Yh he is writing New Guardians. I just wanted to see him on Action as he is one of my favourites.

#104 Posted by ccraft (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

@BR_Havoc said:

There is no hope for Superman in the new 52

I don't think that's true, I think Superman Unchained and Batman/Superman will save Superman. But it's sad what happened to AC creative team.

#105 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

If I found out a couple months after I signed on that Scott Snyder and Jim Lee were going to be writing the same character, then I wouldn't want to do the book either. He probably feels like they stole the spotlight.

#106 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

and it was just confirmed that Fialkov is off GLC and RL

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44391

and my humble response to that is F*CK!

today shall be refer as from now on as DC's Black Wednesday

#107 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

I second your F*UCK response. This is a dark day for DC indeed.

#108 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

and is not even over yet, rumor says that 1-3 other names have walked out and will be reported soon

#109 Posted by Fastblender (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we get a take 2 on that Invincibly Supper Massive Fialkov podcast?

#110 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

and is not even over yet, rumor says that 1-3 other names have walked out and will be reported soon

Please tell me you're joking. This is getting worse and worse. More walk outs? WTF are DC doing? I'm starting to think another rumour, that is the cut down of the New 52 of the lower selling titles might be true.

#111 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaaaaaaa? All these people leaving titles is really making me wonder how bad the environment at DC is. If nothing else, at least Marvel is consistent with their writing teams.

#112 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Man, I was really excited to see Diggle take on the Man of Steel.

@Fhiz

said:

What a joke...

This and this.

#113 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Please tell me you're joking. This is getting worse and worse. More walk outs? WTF are DC doing? I'm starting to think another rumour, that is the cut down of the New 52 of the lower selling titles might be true.

Rich Johnston ‏richjohnston

Once upon a time this traffic would have taken BC down. But the night is young, three more, big name creator stories planned before shutdown

well it says that 3 big creator stories are coming though not necessarily means that creators will leave

he also said that alot of Marvel creators are coming to DC

#114 Posted by The_Tree (7295 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Daniel is a hack.

#115 Posted by knightofthechronicle (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, aside from Diggle's leaving, I think that Daniel taking the writing duty would be pretty good considering that a lot of his stories contain sci-fi elements. Though I'm kinda hoping that his writing will be more like his run on Batman and not Detective...

#116 Posted by jik3 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: He wasn't as bad on Batman, I'll grant that.

#117 Posted by jik3 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

This stinks! I really hope they find someone else to write it. Has DC learned nothing from Daniel's past? He's great at artwork. He should stick with that...

#118 Posted by SmashBrawler (5654 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Lvenger said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Rich Johnston ‏richjohnston

Once upon a time this traffic would have taken BC down. But the night is young, three more, big name creator stories planned before shutdown

well it says that 3 big creator stories are coming though not necessarily means that creators will leave

he also said that alot of Marvel creators are coming to DC

This day went from very bad to just insane. Sometimes I think this kind of editorial managing involves a lot of fecal waste flinging, but I feel like monkeys would do a much more consistent job at this.

#119 Posted by jik3 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Seriously. It was nice for the new 52 he brought back the original Superman conception with a T-shirt and jeans too!

#120 Posted by Billy Batson (57971 posts) - - Show Bio

Ffs. I was so looking forward to this >:[
And Fialkov's off too? Wtf?!
BB

#121 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Horrible news, thats all

#122 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Weird. I wonder what happened there.

#123 Posted by longbowhunter (7049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@longbowhunter said:

This is kind of the entire issue at hand...DC doesn't care about loyal readers anymore. Because when a loyal reader stops reading, three more new readers that will (temporarily) boost sales pop up. The whole DCnU is about being 'hip' and 'edgy' in an attempt to appeal to the younger masses.

That's not to say that they're not putting out some good stuff - they most certainly are.

I understand DC doesnt have the loyal reader in mind. They definitely proved that with the New 52. I was hesitant but supported that idea. What I cant support is the mistreatment of creators. I just wanna know what the hell is going on.

#124 Posted by silentecko711 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

THis does not Bode well with DC comics. I wouldnt be surprised if Marvel swoops in and pick up Diggle that would be sweet after all they already have FialKov on Ultimates

#125 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6662 posts) - - Show Bio

WAIT.... so Andy Diggle didn't even get a write more than an issue?

#126 Posted by atonemented (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Should I pick up Action Comics 18? It's 5 bucks so i want to know if it's worth it

#127 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sees people bagging Morrison*

*Is about to interject*

*Sees same people praise Snyder*

Yep, seems about right.

#128 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Joshua Hale Falkov just left Green Lantern!

#129 Posted by spartan626 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Daniel would be a great artist for the upcoming Batman/Superman series. Maybe the big project he refers to is the second arc.

#130 Posted by Jake Fury (18434 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad news, I was looking forward to this.

#131 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1231 posts) - - Show Bio

writer Van Jensen with co-plotting by Robert Venditti on "Green Lantern Corps," while incoming "Swamp Thing" writer Charles Soule will take on "Red Lanterns."

#132 Posted by Cavemold (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough day for dc comics

#133 Posted by noj (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DC but all this crap has made it REALLY hard to defend them lately. On the positive side of things though Tony Daniel may not be the best writer in the world but he certainly isnt the worst either. Hopefully with Andy Diggle's plots he can still produce a quality story to go along with his amazing art.

Also with Daniels talk about involvement with a major project at DC maybe he will be the artist for Trinity War? That would be pretty sweet.

#134 Posted by ccraft (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats a relief, but still. Tony is leaving the art after issue 21, but I hope his next project will be better that this!

#135 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

So much for the year of Superman. That's strike one. What other exciting Superman plans will go down the drain? Any guesses?

#136 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony should stick to art and not writing. Fialkov leaving along with Diggle is troubling to me. DC seems to be dropping the ball again.

#137 Posted by sweetesttoaster (144 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

@Mercy_ said:

@longbowhunter said:

I understand DC doesnt have the loyal reader in mind. They definitely proved that with the New 52. I was hesitant but supported that idea. What I cant support is the mistreatment of creators. I just wanna know what the hell is going on.

I agree that it sucks that DC doesn't really care about the loyal reader. I know that the whole point of the New 52 was to gain new readers, but they still need to put some focus into the die hard fans of DC proper. At the end of the day, the loyal readers are the ones that is supporting the market. New readers might come, but not all stay, so DC should support the readers who have been reading their stuff for a while and are dedicated to the universe that they established. That's why I think Marvel Now is so successful. They wanted to bring in new readers like any good company should, but they cared enough for the loyal readers to have continuity stay relatively the same. Plus the fact that they are consistent with their creators and don't have their editorial teams dictating the whole of the book.

#138 Posted by dondave (36664 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad News

#139 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Well DC it seems you really drop the ball on this one. I really was looking forward to what Diggle had planned with that future vampire enemy. Well, now who is going to write this title? Shame they can't get Mark Waid to write it, he'd be perfect on it.

#140 Posted by SmashBrawler (5654 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Well DC it seems you really drop the ball on this one. I really was looking forward to what Diggle had planned with that future vampire enemy. Well, now who is going to write this title? Shame they can't get Mark Waid to write it, he'd be perfect on it.

Dammit, don't even remind me of the vampire :(

I was so looking forward to that.

#141 Posted by Jake Fury (18434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trevel8182 said:

Joshua Hale Falkov just left Green Lantern!

More terrible news, I was excited about that too.

#142 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmashBrawler said:

@SandMan_ said:

Dammit, don't even remind me of the vampire :(

I was so looking forward to that.

From what i read, it was a pretty interesting idea and it had potencial to lead to many roads in the future....Sadly DC comics sucks and when the other way...Like always.
#143 Posted by Omega-Man (762 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking forward to this but looks like Action Comics will lose sales even more. People seem to forget how bad Tony Daniels run on Detective Comics was. It absolutely sucked. And People HATED Tony for what he did to Batman in Detective comics. It's why he left Detective Comics now he's writing Action Comics.

DC Go screw yourselves. Seriously if you don't give a crap about your series and characters why should readers who have stuck with you care? I'm a long timer reader before 52 yet I still went with the flow even though I hated alot of things but I do like a few things also that they did. But if you don't get someone besides Tony you can kiss your sales good bye.

#144 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (343 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF???? Crazy times.

Come on, Tony! Make the best damn Superman story out there! You can do it, man!

#145 Posted by CraigWayne (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Andy,just when I was about to spend some money for this run,this comes out of left field

#146 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

This sucks. The preview art has to be some of Daniels best. Looks amazing

#147 Posted by Perfect 10 (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

tony daniels good enough for me

#148 Posted by Perfect 10 (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr: ditto, except for the last part

#149 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking of Action Comics I've read them all so far and of course I am totally confused by it. Since today the finale of his run so can anyone explain to me what happened....so confusing.

#150 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6662 posts) - - Show Bio

DC gotta get their sh*t together and stop making stupid decisons like getting rid of deathstroke and team 7.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.