Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

American Alien - Review

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok. So first off I'd like to say that Max Landis, American Alien, has really surprised me, in every possible positive way.

The first issue is a fresh view on the childhood of Clark Kent. When I read Landis interviews about what American Alien was gonna be, I got the distinct impression that it was gonna be centered around Clark. About his trials and tribulations. I couldn't be more wrong.

This story centers around the Kents, not just Clark. Yes, we get to see things from his point of view but also from his adopted parents point of view. And to me that was essential in creating a good story. From beginning to finish we get the right pacing and the right focus on each character. So as to create a true family story. And most of all it helps the reader feel a connection to what's happening. When reading it I could basically see myself has both parent of Clark and Clark himself.

In the past we got a lot of stories about Clark finding out about his powers, some of the difficulties he had in his youth, but it always felt like Clark was center stage and all the other characters, even the Kents were there just to fill in the story. Something that Landis was excelent in exploring another way to show that it wasn't just Clark that had to go through trials, the Kents themselves had their own, and theirs wasn't a smaller trial, it was as much or even bigger trial than the one's Clark went through.

In American Alien, Landis is showing in a more personal, easy to relate way, why Clark comes to be the hero that he chooses to be. Many times I've seen what it seemed destiny stories. Clark was destined to become Superman. But in American Alien we got no sense of destiny but rather of good upbringing, the right set of morals and attitude that will eventually lead Clark to choose a higher path.

It's a comic I really recommend to anyone looking to read a very good story about the boy that will one day become the man that will inspire the world.

Here's some scans of the comic...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Feel free to leave your inputs and views about Superman: American Alien.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was pretty good it was pretty funny how they were helping Clark how fly

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy:

In this first issue, Clark main problem was that his flying powers kickstarted when he least expected and initially it's not all fun and laughts.

We get to see him really suffering about what's happening, and it is the Kents attitude towards their son that makes all the difference.

Here...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I know that part is sad but the part after where pa Kent was helping him only for Clark to fall flat on face was funny

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, i liked it too.

Also liked the fact that the Kents trusted Ben(Hubbard i'm thinking) their neighbour with Clark's secret.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. It was one of Max biggest acomplishments in this issue at least.

To show that despite the unknown not only the Kents but other people were willing to see the good rather than the bad.

And after arcs like Truth and even now the Darkseid War, we were really in need of a break from all the negativity.

To see hope triumph over fear its like breathing fresh air, after a long time of bad runs/stories.

Atek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the first story and I can't really judge it until the whole the series is out like it. A simple story with great character is all you really need in a Superman story. I like it, and you can whatever about Max, but he likes Superman and love doing do this comic. I don't if American Alien is going to be shit or a great story.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My own little review without any spoiler.

I actually liked this issue. The idea behind a so simple yet so intriguing and engaging story is an idea actually well thought out. Art really fit the mood of the story though using visual ques to tell the story didn't work as well. I felt the story was done in set pieces and it took out most of the natural flow of plot progression and it felt like we were jumping from one set piece to another rather hastily. This problem could easily have been solved by a third person omniscient narrator or a narrator from within the story itself. We see a very similar thing in Loeb and Sale's Superman for all season where they arrange a rather unconventional story with a lot of set pieces and narration from specific character from within the story gives a way better sense of flow to the story. Some problems aside this was a Superman story done well with with lot of heart and warmth at its core and moments of joy or sadness or worry executed properly.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Well it's official, I can't enjoy this title ever. He stole my idea for how I would make Clark, Bruce, Ollie and LEx meet.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I thought it was a really good start. Im really curious to see how this series progresses.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no dout that the story is great landis seems like he knows how to write the character, the art just sucks there is no way around that.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got the story cause of this review and I gotta say I love it, first supes comic I've enjoyed in quite some time. Landis did good and the art aint bad.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got the story cause of this review and I gotta say I love it, first supes comic I've enjoyed in quite some time. Landis did good and the art aint bad.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this issue. As mentioned previously mentioned it was great to see that the story focused on the Kents and not just Clark. Landis has a great handle on each of the characters and did well in representing the relationship they have as a family unit. For such a simple story Landis was able to get so much across such as Clark learning about the consequences of his actions or just how much Martha and Jonathan love Clark and want to protect him .

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a genuinely innocent and happy superman comic. I wish all Superman titles would follow Landis' lead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's pretty good. A nice, humorous warm take on Superman. This is how the childhood flashbacks in MOS should have been handled. I feel like Clarks insecurity about his identity as an alien was brushed over to quickly.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Squalleon

Wait until you read issue 2. Its not the worst comic ever but my god is it full of shock-value.

I wonder how people will justify the end. I haven't seen a comic take such unrealistic steps (even in the world of the comic itself) and such dark turns, so the character can learn a lesson. Its pretty bad.

Also I am not a fan of the art.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@squalleon:Yup it seems like the lesson was meant more for Superman fans than the character himself. It's like the writer was trying to say "this is modern Supes,deal with it".

I'll give Landis one thing,he might actually write an interesting Doomsday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that sucks. i was hoping for one good superman title at least.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:Yup it seems like the lesson was meant more for Superman fans than the character himself. It's like the writer was trying to say "this is modern Supes,deal with it".

I'll give Landis one thing,he might actually write an interesting Doomsday.

That's a problem with all of Landis' Superman comics imo. He always tries to make a statement and not to tell a story. His AoS had the same problem. He is for me the embodiment of "insecure fan" who tries to change the character so his character is cool again, despite if that hurts who the character is.

Again issue 2 isn't the worst thing ever but It is a pretty bad story in all accounts, characterization was dodgy, the moments were forced. And I am kinda dissapointed in the take of Clark in this. It seems Landis wants Clark to be told to be a good person rather than be.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Lois and Clark. Trust me, I am not a fan of Jurgens' writing at all, so praising a title by him, means something.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I haven't read anything else with Landis but yeah it was so on your nose that one would have to be blind to not notice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Lois and Clark. Trust me, I am not a fan of Jurgens' writing at all, so praising a title by him, means something.

Lois & Clark is good but not great. However it's leagues better than anything else with Superman in it right now, unless you are a fan of Evil Superman of course. I don't even want to read American Alien 2 now, lol.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I haven't read anything else with Landis but yeah it was so on your nose that one would have to be blind to not notice.

Lucky.

AoS is pretty much Landis' opinion on Joker and Supes, that spans for 40 pages! Does it sound intersting? No it isn't.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
    @squalleon said:
    @farkam said:

Lois & Clark is good but not great. However it's leagues better than anything else with Superman in it right now, unless you are a fan of Evil Superman of course. I don't even want to read American Alien 2 now, lol.

I agree, its not groundbreaking but at least it delivers a story without ups and downs with some good art. I give it points for going a direction we haven't seen before (raising a son, we actually haven't seen it before!) and because I believe it has potential. But I think the plot is a bit slow and I hope it picks up steam.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is AOS?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

@farkam: Adventures of Superman.

@squalleon said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

Lucky.

AoS is pretty much Landis' opinion on Joker and Supes, that spans for 40 pages! Does it sound intersting? No it isn't.

I saw the preview with Superman smashing the Bat mobile while screaming like a maniac,that was enough for me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: What part did you find unrealistic?

Everything.

The cop asking from a boy to find the criminals that killed armed cops, even with powers. Shooting Clark (who was the right amount of powered to not been killed but hurt, convenience much, like Pete entering to save Clark), the excess amount of pages Landis goes to show how villainous the gang is. Its pretty cartoony and wastes pages.

Its pretty much the plot trying everything in its power to force a certain scene. Which is the least of my problems really, but it was so forced and lacked tact. And of course, I disagree that Clark needs to be TOLD to be a good man. He was raised by good people, in a good environment, he doesn't need to be told to be good. Especially not in sixteen years old.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About issue 2. Did not enjoy it nearly as much as i did the first. Clark cussing doesn't sit well with me at all. Art didn't work for me. I liked the ending with Martha and kinda liked that the circle that knows Clark's secret is bigger in this Smallville, lends to an air of a high level of trust.

Otherwise, the issue was incredibly extreme and not in a good way.

@farkam: Adventures of Superman. The recent digital first series

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Everything.

The cop asking from a boy to find the criminals that killed armed cops, even with powers. Shooting Clark (who was the right amount of powered to not been killed but hurt, convenience much, like Pete entering to save Clark), the excess amount of pages Landis goes to show how villainous the gang is. Its pretty cartoony and wastes pages.

Its pretty much the plot trying everything in its power to force a certain scene. Which is the least of my problems really, but it was so forced and lacked tact. And of course, I disagree that Clark needs to be TOLD to be a good man. He was raised by good people, in a good environment, he doesn't need to be told to be good. Especially not in sixteen years old.

The only thing I think that was a bit over board was the gang, I don't think anything in it was to unrealistic, not for a comic anyway. It's just not the kind of story most people come to Superman for, which I take it was the point. But if this story was in a Daredevil or maybe even a Batman comic it would be totally fine.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I think that was a bit over board was the gang, I don't think anything in it was to unrealistic, not for a comic anyway. It's just not the kind of story most people come to Superman for, which I take it was the point. But if this story was in a Daredevil or maybe even a Batman comic it would be totally fine.

The problem is this issue was supposed to be a realistic take on Superman's grown up years. But it ended as an overreaction to Superman's fans dislikes like Entropy said above. Which is something Landis has done before.

Its not just a story, its a statement vaguely hidden underneath a mediocre story (if you think about it, the story has nothing special going on), with forced situations and conveniences to build up a certain scene, just to give that statement. That's what I dislike most.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Everything.

No, It's people like you(you traditonalist Superman elists) that makes Superman in peoples eyes lame and uninteresting to be a compelling character in modern times, Superman doesn't need to stay pure and wholesomely joyful to keep his story retold over and over again every generational gap, it's the 21 century and people have changed to a more free speaking progresive time, I think Superman has always been unrealistic because he is so rooted in real life in the story as a alien who lives with people and is expected to symbolize a meaning rather than being a fictional imaginative take of a body building alien, he loses a charm that is outdated with a aware and totally observant audience. But Superman never was made to be realistic so I say let them or this story strive to tell what it needs to be told, this comic is like Smallvile on HBO for me and thats win win. No more being pushed into the role of Superman and being destined to correlate to Jesus analouges of a hero from the skys.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Did you just call be a traditionalist Superman elitist?.... LOL!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Squalleon

@jimishim12: You probably mean me and first let me make myself clear:

1. I stopped reading your comment the moment you mentioned "people".
    2. You are right, I guess I am a traditionalist.
    3. Second, I don't care if the "public" likes Superman. If people want a realistic Super-hero, they are a thousand hitting the stands. Superman isn't meant to be realistic because that's the only thing that makes him different. Superman is god-like, Superman is impossible, human and god at the same time. Why? Because that's his gimmick, that's the only thing that keeps him relevant, Superman and realistic completely misses the point of the character in itself and makes him boring, makes him a factory-line Super-hero. Even the Golden Age version was god-like for its standards both morally and physically. Superman was never realistic and when he was, it was awful.
    4. Third, considering his best stories both critically and fan-favorites are bringing traditional characterization and lore to the table, you bet I am a traditionalist.

So go read, Invincible, go read Squadron Supreme. There are a hundred powerhouses out there more "realistic" than Superman. If you want realistic Superman, then you don't want Superman. Go read something else, something fit to your liking.

And if you want the character to change so the "public" can like him, you don't really like the character. You just want to like a popular character that isn't Batman. I bet that's it to begin with.

@jonny_anonymous:I think he meant me. To be honest, I don't even take it as an insult for the reasons mentioned above.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimishim12

@squalleon said:

@jimishim12: You probably mean me and first let me make myself clear:

1. I stopped reading your comment the moment you mentioned "people".
    2. You are right, I guess I am a traditionalist.
    3. Second, I don't care if the "public" likes Superman. If people want a realistic Super-hero, they are a thousand hitting the stands. Superman isn't meant to be realistic because that's the only thing that makes him different. Superman is god-like, Superman is impossible, human and god at the same time. Why? Because that's his gimmick, that's the only thing that keeps him relevant, Superman and realistic completely misses the point of the character in itself and makes him boring, makes him a factory-line Super-hero. Even the Golden Age version was god-like for its standards both morally and physically. Superman was never realistic and when he was, it was awful.
    4. Third, considering his best stories both critically and fan-favorites are bringing traditional characterization and lore to the table, you bet I am a traditionalist.

So go read, Invincible, go read Squadron Supreme. There are a hundred powerhouses out there more "realistic" than Superman. If you want realistic Superman, then you don't want Superman. Go read something else, something fit to your liking.

And if you want the character to change so the "public" can like him, you don't really like the character. You just want to like a popular character that isn't Batman. I bet that's it to begin with.

@jonny_anonymous:I think he meant me. To be honest, I don't even take it as an insult for the reasons mentioned above.

Not what I implied, but your right Supes isn't realistic but it tries so hard to be it's stupid and boring when it forces itself to be taken seriously, however this issue adresess this well thought out and makes Superman human without it being try hard also IMO the more outlandish Superman is as a message the more people are bored to tears with him so it's a fresh to spice it up a little to add some actual relatable boundries other than infinitely powerful good guy and unstoppable human protector.

And by the way, now that I think about it: has anyone ever noticed that - especially in the latest years - the lesser the writers were able to use Superman properly, the more there were mentions of Superman as an inspiring force, as an example to follow?

The inspirational element is a very risky way to define a superhero, because it summarizes its heroic skills in a very INDIRECT way. I mean, it could be said that Batman is even more inspirational than Superman - many people follows his steps, he succeeded in rehabilitating some criminals, and he is subject to a lot of risks - including, but not limited, to physical risks - which can touch Superman only in very special circumstances. In addition, Batman lives in an incredibly corrupt city, he's a lonely soldier against an army of evil people in a war which he may never win. His heroism is truer, easier to discern than Superman's. On the contrary, Superman's heroism is always reduced to the fact that he is taken as an example - even if it not easy to understand how (an example of what?), since his heroic deeds have become more and more insignificant in the latest years. IMHO, the inspirational thing is just a stopgap measure, an expedient to artificially make Superman meaningful because a story with a genuinely heroic Superman has become increasingly difficult to write.

IMHO Landis succeeded on this point, too: because he is making Superman realistically concerned about what he could do to make the world a better place, as an average good person, behaving in a way which everybody can understand and relate to. That's why we don't hate Clark even if he burned some guy's arms off: because we understand his confusion, his fear, his inexperience, and him being so well-intentioned makes him more sympathetic, nicer to our eyes. If he had been classic Superman, with total invulnerability, in full control of his powers, and he had captured the bandit without a real effort, maybe the result wouldn't have been so messy, but at the same time he wouldn't have been so sympathetic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: I have to return to my original comment and repeat what I said: This isn't the worst thing ever, but for me it is a reaction to "Superman isn't cool". Its another one of those instances that the plot will evolve in the most dark way possible to show how cool, realistic, gritty and dirty Superman can be. I mean this supposedly went for realism, yet you can see a plethora of faults that are there to create a specific scene. The whole comic was a build up to that scene. It was cheap. Again its not the worst thing ever, hence why I am not losing my shit but it is indeed cheap storytelling. Its just a reaction to everything I despise.

And I have hardly saw an inspiring Superman running around. Not one story from recent years. E1 went for realism, Man of Steel realism, Pak went for "human Superman" which resulted in a self-loathing cliche and the overarching element of the plot is that Superman does more harm than good (which he truly does in Pak's run, no kidding, I can tell you why), Truth is a reaction to everything haters say that don't like about Supes. Who else, evil Supermen, depowered Supermen but no normal Supermen running around.

And lastly, I just disagree with the rest especially the Batman part which I find limited in scope, one sided and cherry-picked and I will repeat myself again saying Superman's best stories are the ones he is just Superman. Those are the ones who brought people in, those are the ones that made him interesting and those are the ones that sell every year again and again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.