Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

All anyone needs to know about Superman in a nutshell

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I got the opportunity to see this image today and I tought to myself "Yep. This is it. No debates, no questions. If anyone calls himself a Superman fan and doesn't relate to what's written in the image, then he or she is only pretending to be a Superman fan."

No Caption Provided

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't know why people hate him or as the picture says they must be living under a rock

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If superman didn't exist something else would have taken his place.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If superman didn't exist something else would have taken his place.

thats like saying not to recognize MLK's achievements because someone else would have taken his place as an advocate for equal rights

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Overmonitor

@artistsupreme: Which is unequivocally true.

His singular importance was posthumous. Many came before.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73a0365070
    deactivated-57e73a0365070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Lvenger

And yet CV and so many other forums several threads a year at the very least made for someone to complain about why they don't like Superman, why he's a boring character or why he isn't one of the most important comic book creations in its history thus far. But this thread won't get much of a look despite the salient and valid point the image is making.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
    KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KryptonianPrime

Amen.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea was really to make a point.

One that was crystal clear.

That there are people everywhere that don't like the character just for the sake of not liking, or for no reason at all.

They hate Superman not knowing a thing about him, not bothering to learn, and still they can talk smack about him like there was no tomorrow.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Squalleon

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

That there are people everywhere that don't like the character just for the sake of not liking, or for no reason at all.

They hate Superman not knowing a thing about him, not bothering to learn, and still they can talk smack about him like there was no tomorrow.

Your post was why you should at least respect Superman, not like him. And I guess someone who doesn't know Superman, won't care about it. You don't gave compelling reason why they should give Superman a chance or find him compelling. You just noted on his historical importance. Somethings most haters already know and actually use as a reason why they don't like him, I mean I have seen plenty of "haters" saying "Superman is still alive due to his historical importance".

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@drmagic: Not everyone necessarily has a taste for him. Kind of a way of saying not everyone likes Olives. I see him as a modern mythological character, like the Greco-Roman mythology had Hercules, well, modern day culture has Superman.

AlphaAboveAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, Superman is piratically a huge impact in industrialization. Many figures and comics have been sold about him specially, just going off-topic. In comics, hes changed a big way where if he was changed, all comics would have changed. His power levels have found ways to defeat many characters, and characters that can beat him. This would seriously change many teams and possibly heroes the way they are today. It's like saying if Spider-Man was turned into Spider-Frog. XD

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your post was why you should at least respect Superman, not like him. And I guess someone who doesn't know Superman, won't care about it. You don't gave compelling reason why they should give Superman a chance or find him compelling. You just noted on his historical importance. Somethings most haters already know and actually use as a reason why they don't like him, I mean I have seen plenty of "haters" saying "Superman is still alive due to his historical importance".

I'm a little surprised you wrote this.

You should know how pointless it's to try to teach anyone to like whatever character. All you or anyone can do is point the way and let them arrive to their own conclusions.

Once upon a time I actually cared and spent the time trying to explain, only to read or hear the most insulting answers. So now I go right to the point. And I leave things roll. Haters are gonna hate, trolls are gonna troll, and my patience is no longer the same.

We can't teach people to like anything in these times. The best thing one can do is gather up a good colection of comics and say "Here. Read these."

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I blame the JL cartoon,TAS to a certain extent, superman 3, 4 and returns, s**te stories and of course what Miller did in 86 were all fundamental in giving some people a certain view of the character without really understanding what drives him as a hero. So with all that stated I get y MOS happened the way it did and even N52. Honestly as superman fans we can't let certain things get to us n just keep it moving n hope against all hope for some at least halfway decent stories from DC

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
    PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems a little hypey tbh, but I agree for the most part.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

I'm a little surprised you wrote this.

You should know how pointless it's to try to teach anyone to like whatever character. All you or anyone can do is point the way and let them arrive to their own conclusions.

Once upon a time I actually cared and spent the time trying to explain, only to read or hear the most insulting answers. So now I go right to the point. And I leave things roll. Haters are gonna hate, trolls are gonna troll, and my patience is no longer the same.

We can't teach people to like anything in these times. The best thing one can do is gather up a good colection of comics and say "Here. Read these."

Τhen you shouldn't have made this thread all together :P Because that's exactly what you do. Trying to teach them to respect the man of steel.

You should have done a recommended reading thread for people that don't like Superman or something then.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly came in here expecting to see some scans from All Star Superman.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's retarded. Who are you to say that if superman was never created someone wouldn't have just made a better character anyway

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Been done before no use redoing it.

And like I said it's all about making a point, not spoon feed all those that don't even bother to search for the most highly recomended comics to read from Superman.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdeadpool:

Who am I?! The guy living in this world. In this time.

And what about you. From which universe you came from?

It's like saying... What if Hitler was never born?

What if Nikola Tesla was never born?

What if the South had won the civil war?

We don't live in a world of "if" we live in the world of "how". And how comics got to this point is quite clear.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Been done before no use redoing it.

And like I said it's all about making a point, not spoon feed all those that don't even bother to search for the most highly recomended comics to read from Superman.

I disagree. Showing the merits of a character isn't spoon feeding, but a way to make them interested without agitating them. I have made and seen threads about bringing new readers in and they worked,always. Especially when they are not condescending or aggressive. Me and Lvenger did a good one and later K4tzman did too. The response was overwhelmingly positive in both of those.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Exactly. Others have done it, and quite well for a fact, and has far as I know none of you have erased those threads.

So feel free to post a link or two.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Exactly. Others have done it, and quite well for a fact, and has far as I know none of you have erased those threads.

It wouldn't hurt to have a new one for new viners and from a different voice. Threads get lost with time, you can't bump them forever.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@squalleon:

It wouldn't hurt to have a new one for new viners and from a different voice. Threads get lost with time, you can't bump them forever.

True. But if we look at the current generation starting to read comics or even remotely interested in them, they don't have the patience to learn. They want to get all information now.

And Superman isn't a character that can simply be totally understood with that kind of mentality.

Sometime ago I also posted a quite diversified thread in the CBR Community site, explaining who Superman was in the New 52 and who he was before the reboot. The changes he went through, the comics that depicted him better not only according to my opinion, but a generalized search I did on the web.

And yeah, there was some positive feedback, but even at the time, and we're talking more than a year now, there were people wanting to be spoon fed. They had the list of comics, the why's and the changes everything explained to great detail. And for what?! People that are new to this simply don't put in the effort. At least most of them.

And one my points was also to see the reaction of those that been in this "game" for years now.

You, and I, we've put in the effort and we still make till this day. We don't simply drop everything just because things are bad, we stick to it.

And when we do complain we complain because we hold the facts of what happened and what's happening. We don't simply pick up a comic that's not so good and immediately we go on a trashing spree, questioning everything Superman was and still is.

Look for example, this week comic of Superman part on the Darkseid War. Most people weren't even aware of what happened in the comic. They read the story was bad and immediately pulled out or were talking smack. Those are not Superman fans. Superman or any kind of fan complains with all facts in his or her hands. Not just because someone said it was bad and as such no use reading.

I don't do that. I've only quit on two characters so far. One was Superman after the Infinite Crisis and returned when Superman got his powers back. And another was Spider-Man but that was longer. In the One More Day I totally dropped the Spider, and only returned to reading it during the Superior Spider-Man arc. But everything that came before... I updated myself, because of myself. I didn't go on forums talking crap about what had happened because there were still a lot of things I didn't know.

And I see that constantly with Superman. People that clearly don't even read the comics, commenting on things they don't even have the facts.

And it's to those that I specially posted this thread. A kind of "Get your facts straight. Try to learn a little." message.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Buy the comic. Scans don't do it justice. If you're a Superman fan you know this much at least.

@alphaaboveall said:

First of all, Superman is piratically a huge impact in industrialization. Many figures and comics have been sold about him specially, just going off-topic. In comics, hes changed a big way where if he was changed, all comics would have changed. His power levels have found ways to defeat many characters, and characters that can beat him. This would seriously change many teams and possibly heroes the way they are today. It's like saying if Spider-Man was turned into Spider-Frog. XD

Actually Spider-Man man has evolved pass Superman at this point. Look at Peter now after the Secret Wars arc. He hasn't only pulled his company together but he's also gone global.

Peter has a character together with his alter ego has been evolving better than Superman. Even in the relationship department, if we compare both characters Supes and Spidy, the second one takes the lead by miles. He never stopped moving forward with the exception of the One More Day tragic mistake from Marvel.

In many ways I'd like to see Clark achieve 1/10 of what Peter Parker did. Pete went from photographer, to teacher, to employee at Horizons Lab, to having his own company, that now has gone global and he's trying to change the world for the better both has Peter and Spider-Man. Something that unfortunetely we can't say about Clark.

AlphaAboveAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@squalleon:

True. But if we look at the current generation starting to read comics or even remotely interested in them, they don't have the patience to learn. They want to get all information now.

And Superman isn't a character that can simply be totally understood with that kind of mentality.

Sometime ago I also posted a quite diversified thread in the CBR Community site, explaining who Superman was in the New 52 and who he was before the reboot. The changes he went through, the comics that depicted him better not only according to my opinion, but a generalized search I did on the web.

And yeah, there was some positive feedback, but even at the time, and we're talking more than a year now, there were people wanting to be spoon fed. They had the list of comics, the why's and the changes everything explained to great detail. And for what?! People that are new to this simply don't put in the effort. At least most of them.

And one my points was also to see the reaction of those that been in this "game" for years now.

You, and I, we've put in the effort and we still make till this day. We don't simply drop everything just because things are bad, we stick to it.

And when we do complain we complain because we hold the facts of what happened and what's happening. We don't simply pick up a comic that's not so good and immediately we go on a trashing spree, questioning everything Superman was and still is.

Look for example, this week comic of Superman part on the Darkseid War. Most people weren't even aware of what happened in the comic. They read the story was bad and immediately pulled out or were talking smack. Those are not Superman fans. Superman or any kind of fan complains with all facts in his or her hands. Not just because someone said it was bad and as such no use reading.

I don't do that. I've only quit on two characters so far. One was Superman after the Infinite Crisis and returned when Superman got his powers back. And another was Spider-Man but that was longer. In the One More Day I totally dropped the Spider, and only returned to reading it during the Superior Spider-Man arc. But everything that came before... I updated myself, because of myself. I didn't go on forums talking crap about what had happened because there were still a lot of things I didn't know.

And I see that constantly with Superman. People that clearly don't even read the comics, commenting on things they don't even have the facts.

And it's to those that I specially posted this thread. A kind of "Get your facts straight. Try to learn a little." message.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Buy the comic. Scans don't do it justice. If you're a Superman fan you know this much at least.

@alphaaboveall said:

Actually Spider-Man man has evolved pass Superman at this point. Look at Peter now after the Secret Wars arc. He hasn't only pulled his company together but he's also gone global.

Peter has a character together with his alter ego has been evolving better than Superman. Even in the relationship department, if we compare both characters Supes and Spidy, the second one takes the lead by miles. He never stopped moving forward with the exception of the One More Day tragic mistake from Marvel.

In many ways I'd like to see Clark achieve 1/10 of what Peter Parker did. Pete went from photographer, to teacher, to employee at Horizons Lab, to having his own company, that now has gone global and he's trying to change the world for the better both has Peter and Spider-Man. Something that unfortunately we can't say about Clark.

Whoa man, I didn't bring Spidey here to win the fame. I'm talking about Superman here only because he was a huge impact in the "DC" world. Spider-man is at a way higher league compared to Superman. NOt even, Parker became one of the top 10 smartest people in the MCU. But yea, this thread is about Superman only, so let's not bring in some other better characters industrialization profitable wise. XD

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l3g3ndarypheonix:

You're absolutely right. If Superman hadn't been invented, someone else would have taken his place.

And the comic industry might have become totally unrecognizable.

Superman didn't invent; he codified. He laid the foundation for superhero archetypes as we know them.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@squalleon:

Υοu generalize way too much and its not like we did threads like these in the far forgotten times, we did it last summer :P

You don't have to give them 75 years of history just something to be interested in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.