Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics or Superman?

Dm225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

With the change to a decent writer for the Superman title I was planning to finally add it to my pull list. I started to think about it though and if I'm looking to add the "main" Superman title should I be adding Action Comics? I can't follow too many titles and I like to follow the main titles of the characters I like so I can keep up with their story. It's easy with characters like the Flash or Aquarian but with someone like Superman or Batman who have Action/Detective Comics as well it gets confusing. So what's the one main Superman title to follow? Action Comics or Superman? This is NOT a question of which is better.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Greg Pak's Action Comics has been phenomenal. Doom affected the quality, but the book is still the best in the event. Pick up Pak's Action, you won't regret it.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Probably Superman. I find it hard to believe that the Geoff Johns written series won't be the main one.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..I have loved all of Pak's Action Comics so far. Also Kruder's art.

Will take something special to wean me off it as my Superman read...

Aquaneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#5  Edited By Aquaneto

Action Comics is fantastic right now I highly recommend it !

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

"Superman" is the main title. With a few exceptions I remember being while "Action Comics" by Morrison and Geoff Johns ran.
    And now that Geoff is coming back to Supes I don't think AC will be the main title. Plus "Superman" will be more reader-friendly.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we not counting crossovers, both Supes’ books look independent to me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The main title is usually the one that adds the most to the mythos(look at Morrison's run) or the one that has priority over the other (Lobdell's Superman, had priority to Pak's AC when it came to cast etc.). And crossovers are usually build up from the main title (look at Batman, Green Lantern and Superman).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

IIRC there may have been mentions at comic cons and interviews to make the Superman line of books much stronger and more connected. Though the directions of both titles seem independent IMO.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..Bought Superman 31 this week as I thought it was part of "doomed". A bit of a poor issue IMO, thank goodness Johns is on board from next month.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SanoHibiki

@lvenger said:

IIRC there may have been mentions at comic cons and interviews to make the Superman line of books much stronger and more connected. Though the directions of both titles seem independent IMO.

Interesting. Looks like I missed it. I barely remember some interview (or maybe it was one of comicons) where was said that Superman-related books would be connected during Doomed storyline – to “clear the field” and give to Super’s writers opportunity to build up their own “universes”. To tell the truth, even though I don’t know the direction of AC after Doomed, I find it somewhat unlikely that Pak and Johns will be collaborating.

Anyway, this question is pointless for me. The more quality Superman stories – the merrier, and I don’t really care which title considered to be main.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Lvenger

@sanohibiki: Agreed, I doubt Johns and Pak will collaborate after Doomed and each series will take its own direction in its storytelling after the summer Superman event is over.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.