ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #1

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #1

Written by Sholly Fisch

Art and cover by Cully Hamner

Backup story written by Max Landis

Backup story art by Ryan Sook

On sale OCTOBER 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

• The secrets of the “missing five years” between when Clark Kent came to Metropolis and the present day continue to be revealed!
  • In the wake of Brainiac’s attack on Metropolis, Superman faces his first Earth-born villain: the Kryptonite Man!
  • Plus a special backup story written by screenwriter of CHRONICLE, Max Landis!
#2 Edited by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny that Max Landis is writing back ups for Superman considering he said "Nobody gives a f*ck about Superman, You don't give a f*ck about Superman even if you think you do"

#3 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Annual 1 will be awesome, but I'm really waiting for Amethyst in JLD Annual 1.

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Funny that Max Landis is writing back ups for Superman considering he said "Nobody gives a fuck about Superman, You don't give a fuck about Superman even if you think you do"

Try to censor the words man. We got rules here.

Why isn't Grant writing this?
#5 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Funny that Max Landis is writing back ups for Superman considering he said "Nobody gives a fuck about Superman, You don't give a fuck about Superman even if you think you do"

Apparently, he's a Superman fan, or at least that's the justification he gave when people said he was a Superman hater.

I'm glad there's an Action Comics Annual. I was starting to think that only Superman would get an annual, which I found weird considering AC has been treated as the flagship.

#6 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adnan: Probably.

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

Apparently, he's a Superman fan, or at least that's the justification he gave when people said he was a Superman hater.

I'm glad there's an Action Comics Annual. I was starting to think that only Superman would get an annual, which I found weird considering AC has been treated as the flagship.

Maybe he just hated The Death Of Superman.
#7 Posted by Lvenger (21216 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. I was wondering why Superman was wearing his T shirt and jeans during the Nimrod Arc but I guess I'll have to wait to read that issue to find out what that's about.

#8 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

@SandMan_:Perhaps he's too busy (Action Comics, Batman Inc., plus that Image title he's doing later this year) Or maybe he just doesn't want to.

Yeah, the reason why I thought there wasn't going to be an AC annual was either it wasn't in Grant's plans, or he was too busy.

@SandMan_ said:

@Adnan: Probably.

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

Maybe he just hated The Death Of Superman.

Except he said no one cares about Superman, even if you think you do.

#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7: Then...He can go f*ck himself.
#10 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: sorry man. I thought it was fine since it wasnt used in an insulting way.

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: not sure about that. But yeah Im so glad Action Comics is getting an annual.

Anyways my thoughts when I saw this was, hopefully Grant Morrison would still be writing action comics.

But Its in good hands. I did really enjoy Sholly Fisch's back ups. Plus I really wanna know more about the Kryptonite man. Hopefully we'll get more insight into the Anti Superman Army

#11 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: LOL, its just that CV has some rules...
#12 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

@SandMan_:Perhaps he's too busy (Action Comics, Batman Inc., plus that Image title he's doing later this year) Or maybe he just doesn't want to.

I hope he is still writing AC. Guess we'll have to wait for a few days to find out.

@SandMan_ said:

haha yups edited my post alr.

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: Hopefully Grant will stay on Action Comics...for a LONG time. he was on Batman for some time as well.
#14 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: cross our fingers

#15 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: How long has Jonh been on GL?
#16 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Since 2005 I think.

#17 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: 7 years???
#18 Edited by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: more or less.

I doubt Grant would leave. If he promised DC to totally revamp Superman, he needs to stick through with it. If he leaves now, people would just look back and say this is how Grant destroyed Superman. Because he created so many new elements, plotlines and background, its impossible to go one without him. Sure DC can do that, but it would just be one very unsatisfying run. Knowing Grant, I believe he'd rather stay on and do a good run than a substandard one.

Edit: I don't know know him, but I think as an acclaimed writer, he wouldn't risk that.

#19 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: All I want is for Grant to reach the present day....and do whatever he wants actually. And tell what he is doing to the people in the Superman title.
#20 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Yeah. I do think Scott has been following closely to what Grant has been doing so that there is no clashes. I believe AC would reach present day in issues 13 or 14

#21 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: Lobdell better bring that badass Superman from Justice League.
#22 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm glad DC decided to make more than just three annuals from the New 52.

#23 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I have faith in him.

#24 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nick-SV(ril): ....Say it ain't so...
#26 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nick-SV(ril) said:

Apparently Grant Morrison is leaving Action Comics after issue #15 or #16. Just read those first two comments, http://dangermart.blogspot.gr/2012/07/action-comics-11-review.html

oh no.........

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. I expected minimum 16, but I really hope he would extend his run like 10-20 issues longer.

#27 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great, though Kryptonite Man now looks a LOT more like Conduit to me for some reason.

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

@Nick-SV(ril) said:

Apparently Grant Morrison is leaving Action Comics after issue #15 or #16. Just read those first two comments, http://dangermart.blogspot.gr/2012/07/action-comics-11-review.html

oh no.........

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. I expected minimum 16, but I really hope he would extend his run like 10-20 issues longer.

Its not official, so there's hope.
#29 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Yeah, for all we know, he might change his mind. Or perhaps DC is having a third Superman book and they're getting him to spearhead the first 16 issues of that book.

#30 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: @JoseDRiveraTCR7: The guy actually loves Superman.

#31 Posted by azza04 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

I never had you pegged for a rule man lmao

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I thought about it and I guess what he is saying was just trying to prove that people do care about Superman. Because halfway through that infamous video he did just say that. If he can deliver a compelling story, I wouldnt mind seeing more of him.

#33 Posted by azza04 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they would get a more dynamic artist to draw the Superman books. The art for this annual is....ok but it doesn't look special to me.

#34 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: I really like Cully Hamner's art. He is kinda like a version of Darwyn Cooke. Yes its not Rags Morales, Brad Walker or Cafu type of art. But its kinda cool I think.

#35 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: Jim Lee? :P
#36 Posted by azza04 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Shane Davis :D

#37 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: Shane Davis can't really do monthlies. Like Rags. Plus he just finished Earth one part 2 i think.

#38 Edited by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I had the feeling Braniac mustn't be trusted :D Sometimes I hate that the 75% of my feelings are right :\

@Nick-SV(ril): NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't leave Morrison , pleeeeeeeeeease

#39 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

4.99 WHAT!!!!!?

#40 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally pumped for this!!

#41 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait for this actually. I mean, Kryptonite Man, Atomic Skull. Its awesome!!!!!!!!!

#42 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare: Any preview?
#43 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: not yet. only a one page preview of the backup story for atomic skull. its in the interview with max landis on CV

#44 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue. Fish writes a surprisingly good Steel. Like the direction they are taking that character.

Action Comics overall has been a really solid title in the new 52 keep up the good work DC

#45 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid issue, I enjoyed it. I didn't care for the art all that much, but that's probably because I've been spoiled with Rocafort on Superman now.

#46 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

apart from how max wrote supes in some pages it was actually a really good issue.

#47 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Landis only wrote the backup (Atomic Skull) Sholly Fisch wrote the feature.

#48 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.