Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics: A Good Jumping On Point?

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So, after reading some stuff here and there about Superman, and him becoming one of my favourite characters, I began to take an interest in collecting a Superman series. And just as I decided that, Superman Unchained came out and I thought it would be a match made in heaven, but severall months on with a few delays and a somewhat lack of Superman Unchained issues (feels like it, especially with the almost 2 month wait for issue 5) I've begun to get eager of collecting another series (and even considered dropping Unchained once or twice).

So, out of interest and pure curiosity, do you think Action Comics is a good jumping on point? (I'm referring to issue 25 onwards, when Pak joined). I've enjoyed his work on Batman/Superman as well as his work on some of his Villain's month titles (Doomsday, Zod and Darkseid), so I ask you, Comic Vine users and fellow Superman fans, whether Action Comics is a good jumping on point for a relative Supes fan newbie, and if you feel like it, whether I should substitute Unchained with Action Comics, in your opinion.

Shoot away viners!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@enigmalantern: Action Comics is becaming fast my favorite title every month. I eagerly wait for the next issue to come out. Since Issue 25 was a Zero Year tie-in and Pak's regular story starts at issue 26, both issues are perfect for new readers.I would advice you to start from issue 25 though since some plot threads start from there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Action Comics under Pak seems like a great place to begin.

@enigmalantern: Action Comics is becaming fast my favorite title every month. I eagerly wait for the next issue to come out. Since Issue 25 was a Zero Year tie-in and Pak's regular story starts at issue 26, both issues are perfect for new readers.I would advice you to start from issue 25 though since some plot threads start from there.

Take this guy's advice.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Have you been reading Unchained as well? Because if so, how do you think it does against Pak's current work in Action Comics, considering both titles are reasonably small in volumes. I've been debating whether to get Action Comics from issue 25 onwards from my LCS...they even have the sketch variant for issue 25 for sale which has enticed me even further ^.^

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

25 onward.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Squalleon

@enigmalantern said:

@squalleon: Have you been reading Unchained as well? Because if so, how do you think it does against Pak's current work in Action Comics, considering both titles are reasonably small in volumes. I've been debating whether to get Action Comics from issue 25 onwards from my LCS...they even have the sketch variant for issue 25 for sale which has enticed me even further ^.^

Buy it. Pak is really good at writing powerful characters like Superman. Although Unchained is good, it doesn't bring out the fun that Pak's last two issues did. Pak's Action Comics is full of energy, passion and FUN, in issue 26 he(Superman) makes a decision only Superman would make and that made me to understand that Pak gets Superman. For me Action Comics is better at the moment but Unchained is pretty good too, i see that the delays got to you.

To sum up: Go for AC it is excellent.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EnigmaLantern

@enigmalantern said:

Buy it. Pak is really good at writing powerful characters like Superman. Although Unchained is good, it doesn't bring out the fun that Pak's last two issues did. Pak's Action Comics is full of energy, passion and FUN, in issue 26 he(Superman) makes a decision only Superman would make and that made me to understand that Pak gets Superman. For me Action Comics is better at the moment but Unchained is pretty good too, i see that the delays got to you.

To sum up: Go for AC it is excellent.

Yeah I might have to take you up on that, the only downside for me about Action Comics currently is the art, it doesn't look to be that great, in comparison with previous or other artists, such as Tony Daniel and, who I believe to be the best current Superman artist is Kenneth Rocafort.

By the way, thanks a lot for helping me out on this, I've been debating this for the past few weeks, much appreciated.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enigmalantern: Kuder's art may not be appealing to you but it is certaintly inspired. If you buy AC just sit for a minute and see the way the panels are put together, the clever layouts, the awesome energy it flows, how well they mess with the story. You may appreciate it that way :-)

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I may give it a shot, thanks!

I also want to hear @lvenger opinion seeing as he is another very well respected Comic Vine user and Superman fan.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@enigmalantern: Although I feel Unchained has more depth behind it than Pak's run not to mention it has more issues out and so a greater feel can be gotten for it, I basically agree with almost everything @squalleon has said. Pak's Action Comics is really entertaining, full of great characterisation of Superman and Lana plus it has awesome action sequences to boot. Though the story isn't as fleshed out as it could be yet, Action Comics #26 was a fantastic and fun read and in particular, the scene squalleon was talking about was a real highlight for me too. That showed me that Pak has a lot of potential for his Superman run in the future. I'd also recommend it but unlike me, pick up issue 25 first since that's the superior story IMO and starts off some small plot threads for the current story arc. Pak's Action Comics is certainly the best jumping on point for a Superman story.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Ah I see, well I guess you and @squalleon leave me no choice. I'm going to get issue 25 and see how I feel about it, if it's a hit then I'll get the rest. Much appreciated guys for the help!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it dude! I am like you, I got back into Superman with Unchained, but the continued delays mean its getting harder and harder to follow we have had one comic now in 4 months, which for me isn't acceptable....I've already told my comic shop to axe my order. Action Comics 25 was great and 26 has become my personal "comic of the year", I enjoyed it that much....Grek Pak is a great writer of monster stories and stories involving high powered characters. As a Hulk fan as well, I sorely miss him writing Hulk stories I can tell you! But that's a subject for a different forum.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.