Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics #5 Reveals Five Ways Superman's Origin Has Changed

• 65 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Leave it to Grant Morrison to continue to bring about little changes for Superman each month in the pages of ACTION COMICS. It was starting to look as if the little tweaks were at an end but five months into DC's "The New 52" and we're still seeing more changes.

Superman's origin is one that has been told several times over the years. There have been updates and changes made by different writers for reasons thought to be for the best. The basic story of the destruction of Krypton and Superman being sent to Earth as an infant has always remained the same. The details surrounding the event is what has varied.

No Caption Provided

In the pages of ACTION COMICS #5, the focus has shifted to Superman's origin. As with the previous issues, some changes and updates have been made. For now, this will mark the definitive story of where Superman came from and how he arrived on Earth. Be sure to read the excellent issue as there are other details and events that won't be revealed here at this time. (You can read our review here). Be aware that there will be some spoilers below.

== TEASER ==

Superman's Cape

No Caption Provided

We've seen in the second issue when Superman was in the custody of the government that his cape is pretty much indestructible. This hasn't always been the case. In some tellings the cape was simply part of a costume Martha Kent made for Superman. In others, the cape was made from a baby blanket in Superman's spaceship.

Now the story is Superman was wrapped in it before being sent away from Krypton. Jor-El, Superman's father gave it to him and mentioned the cloak belong to his father. Most likely Superman is unaware he is wearing his grandfather's cape.

The Phantom Zone and Krypto

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Phantom Zone is the ghostly anti-verse Jor-El discovered and was used as a prison for Krypton's super-criminals. As Krypton's destruction began, Jor-El considered escaping there with his wife, Lara, Baby Kal-El and Krypto.

Of course Zod and the others imprisoned in the Phantom Zone were eager for Jor-El and his family to enter so they could rip Lara's mind to shreds as Jor-El was forced to watch. In a surprising move, Zod actually managed to reach through the Zone portal which was supposed to be impossible. Krypto jumped to the rescue, attacking Zod as the portal began to shatter.

Whether or not Krypto was fully transported to the Phantom Zone and survived is something we'll have to wait to find out. There has bee mention of a "ghost dog" in SUPERMAN and here. Keep your fingers crossed for his return.

A Rocket with Room for One

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

A question brought up before was why the rocket Jor-El built only had room for one? In some origins, there was actually room for both Kal-El and Lara but she chose to stay by her husband's side (which she does mention here).

The rocket was a prototype Jor-El built. It was meant to be an experimental model built by both Jor-El and Lara.

Luckily for Kal-El it was there and he was able to be sent on towards his destiny.

Brainiac

No Caption Provided

We've seen an alien entity make its presence known on Earth. This species of collectors was thought to be Brainiac. Brainiac has had a couple different origins as well over the years. In "The New 52," Brainiac is a computer A.I. He/it was part of the ship Jor-El and Lara built and was used to guide the ship to a safe planet where he would actually become stronger than the other inhabitants.

The Rocket After the Crash

No Caption Provided

We saw in the second issue that the rocket was in the possession of the Army. In past stories, when Jonathan and Martha witnessed the ship's landing, they were able to put it in the back of the truck and keep it safely hidden on the farm.

If a spaceship entered Earth's atmosphere and crashed, it wouldn't take the authorities long to race to the scene. That's what happens here. Jonathan and Martha are barely able to take Kal-El safely away before the Army arrives to claim the ship.

In another note, it's also explained what the dead "alien" was seen in the second issue. When it was shown to Superman, he couldn't help but laugh.

This is just the tip of the iceberg in this issue. There are some other revelations involving the Kents, Kryptonite, the Fortress of Solitude and possibly even the future for Superman. Be sure to check out the issue to get up to speed on rest of the revelations.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ARMIV2

I'm really liking the cape's new origins.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

Ya I really thought the dead alien explanation was really funny. :p

So Brainiac is no longer a Coluan which could change things a bit for Virl Dox and Brianiac 5

I thought Time Travel was impossible because of flashpoint?

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tonis

I'll say it again, I can't WAIT to get this issue!!!!

It's been a mixed bag so far with the 52 but AC Supes is the one thing I can't get enough of. :)

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Or35ti

Birthright is my favorite Superman origin but I still can't wait to read this. I hope Krypto finds his way back sooner or later

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dernman

I'm not sure how I feel about Krypto's new look but he does look like he could be more vicious.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By GothamRed

it seems like a good deal of the origin, like brainiac and the rocket, are based off of the animated series

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordRequiem

Solid work done here.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dernman said:

So Brainiac is no longer a Coluan which could change things a bit for Virl Dox and Brianiac 5

I haven't read this issue but yea it is impossible, it's stated multiple times in LoSH 
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:

I haven't read this issue but yea it is impossible, it's stated multiple times in LoSH 
    I figured as much. Then it's going to have to do some dancing to explain the ending of the first story.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:

I figured as much. Then it's going to have to do some dancing to explain the ending of the first story.
    What happened in the end? spoil it for me.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dernman
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Dernman said:

wait.... What? How is that possible? the Flashpoint event did'n't really effect LoSH?
    Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Izaiah
    @Dernman said:

Brainiac 5 is clearly shown to be a Coluan in Legion: Secret Origin, so there's quite a bit of mixed signals here.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dernman
    @spiderbat87: I didn't think it did. There is probably some explanation that is missing.  
    @Izaiah: Ya there is mixed signals. Maybe a Coluan finds the AI and hooks himself up merging into one. I dunno but they should explain it eventually.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87: I didn't think it did. There is probably some explanation that is missing.  
    @Izaiah: Ya there is mixed signals. Maybe a Coluan finds the AI and hooks himself up merging into one. I dunno but they should explain it eventually.
    Well Brainy 5 was the son of Virl Dox, a clone of brainiac, it's quite easily conceivable that Brainiac will be a computer AI transplanted in to a clone Coluan body 
    frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By frozenedge2

I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Krypto and Brainiac

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@spiderbat87 said:

@Dernman said:
    @spiderbat87: I didn't think it did. There is probably some explanation that is missing.
    @Izaiah: Ya there is mixed signals. Maybe a Coluan finds the AI and hooks himself up merging into one. I dunno but they should explain it eventually.
    Well Brainy 5 was the son of Virl Dox, a clone of brainiac, it's quite easily conceivable that Brainiac will be a computer AI transplanted in to a clone Coluan body

I think we'll just have to wait n see how this turns out cuz after 3 issues the mystery of the weird 6 legged alien was solved and even krypto's story was partially told so i think the writers want to keep certain thing hangin so we burst our brains tryin to figure it out n keep comin back for more :)

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hoboseid

@GothamRed said:

it seems like a good deal of the origin, like brainiac and the rocket, are based off of the animated series

really bored by this 52, no matter how many times they tweek his story its still the same old same ol' outdated comic character, you don't get surprised by his stories anymore just bored. Superman is from a forgotten era and writers have trouble modernizing the stories and keeping them relevant, his best storylines are in the past, most stories after the classics will continue being a steaming pile of sh*i%t

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Primmaster64

The issue was awesome.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

So Krypto's not dead?? :D

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Awesome.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laabitres

new origins new everything this just keeps getting better

warmonked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warmonked

"AND LARA. THE MOTHERMATICIAN" < ...This is why I hate comics

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By Queso6p4

I only read the first two issues of Action Comics but when I saw this issue I knew it would sell out so I added it to my surprisingly thick stack of weekly comics. It was definitely enjoyable but, then again, I'm not really a Superman fan ( I respect him, though). It's been neat to see reactions of readers of different levels of interest. Nice breakdown as usual.

Benuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Benuben

@warmonked:

Weird words?

And you sighned up on Comicvine why exactly? To tell everyone how much you hate comics?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BatteredArmor

What was the dead alien explanation someone spoil it please

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman
    @BlackArmor said:

What was the dead alien explanation someone spoil it please

Hope that explains it good enough for you.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Point one, Superman's Cape: I rather like that it is something Jor-El's father said. Brings a new spin to the cape story.

Point two, The Phantom Zone and Krypto: Surprising move to allow a prisoner of the Zone to be able to reach across the portal. I figured it was usually the other way around (just look at Supes pulling Mon-El out of the portal way back when). As for Krypto, hope he made it!

Point three, Rocket built for one: I'm curious if the story is consistent with how Krypton had outlawed interstellar travel at this time. Haven't read it yet so I don't know, but I'm definitely curious now.

Point four, Brainiac: Not really feeling Brainiac as a type of HAL kinda computer. Kinda disappointed with that, especially since it seems Supes owes his powerful existence now to what was in the pre-Flashpoint multiverse a supervillain.

Point five, the Rocket after the crash: Seems to make sense nowadays with human technology. Back in the day it could be possible for an alien spacecraft to tumble into a patch of unpopulated earth and not be noticed except by two Kansan farmers. Nowadays it just doesn't seem feasible anymore so I rather like they did this. Those Kents sure should be praised though for getting out of there quick enough, though!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dernman
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: Did you notice when Jor-El said Super Criminals? It wasn't just criminals. Makes you wonder if they had a bunch of powers while on Krypton or all of them are even Kryptonians. 
    Could open up a lot of possibilities then just more of the same Kryptonian villains with the same powers. 

I believe Krypto did make it but sort of inbetween dimensions. That's why you see what looks like something coming through the portal and following the ship. Also Braniac talking about a ghost dog.
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#30  Edited By The Impersonator

Interesting.....

rpgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rpgr

Huh? Aren't we missing one point? As in

The ship becomes the fortress of solitude

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dex_Starr

I can't wait to get my hands on this, getting it tomorrow :D

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By KEROGA

i like the idea of the cape being his baby blanket

Gokujam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Gokujam

Didn't they also say that kryptonite is now fatal to everyone, humans included?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dernman

@rpgr said:

Huh? Aren't we missing one point? As in

The ship becomes the fortress of solitude

Ya I noticed that. Also Brainiac is the fortresses computer and Kryptonight is it's power source.

@Gokujam said:

Didn't they also say that kryptonite is now fatal to everyone, humans included?

Yeah I liked that part. It was always deadly but took years to do anything. Hopefully now it effect everyone like it does Superman.

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EugeneSaxe

"The TRUE Origin of Superman's Cape!"

Sounds like a Superdickery 60's story.

Change for change's sake usually fails. Everyone on Earth knows Superman and how he came to be. IMHO, changing his origin, even a little, is just a writer feeding his ego.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By jointron33

@Hoboseid: you sound like some old man who should have died off in the 40s with the rest of the golden age

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

It seems Zack Snyder's Man of Steel takes a lot from this interpretation than people realize has more issues come out, or it can be coincidence.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By kingjoeg

This was my book of the week this week.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Brackynews

@Dernman said:

...and Kryptonight...

Is the planetary evening variety show hosted by Jay Krypto. ;)

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaredbright

I got to pick this up.

onyxwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By onyxwave

Honestly, I have to say that I'm getting kinda tired of the DC universe complete reboot as well. It makes it seem like they are completely lost over there at DC. I mean, when iconic characters have 4 to 5 different versions of their origins out there and decades of continuity story lines are completely wiped out, it begins to get a little annoying. However, I will say that many of the new 52 line books' artwork and writing seems to be pretty good thus far, so I'm giving it a chance (let's see how long the quality lasts). Though, I totally think that the whole idiotic Krypto super dog character was a character that should have been left in the garbage. In my opinion it's a character for the 50s-60s that should have died off completely with that era.

xScorchedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By xScorchedx

@onyxwave: I agree with the krypto thing for sure. I'm a new reader so this reboot is pretty much establishing what I consider to be the origins of the characters, aside from my understanding from TV shows as a kid. Are their adjustments really that far off?

onyxwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By onyxwave

@xScorchedx said:

@onyxwave: I agree with the krypto thing for sure. I'm a new reader so this reboot is pretty much establishing what I consider to be the origins of the characters, aside from my understanding from TV shows as a kid. Are their adjustments really that far off?

It's not so much that the origins are really far off. For me it's the fact that they are changing/tweaking them so often. I've been a comics reader off and on since I was a little kid in the early-mid 90s, however I've gone and read many books back through the 60s. And from what I've seen, Superman's origin has been touched and tweaked so often that it's gotten to a point of "been there done that" feel to it now. It's like DC Comics has got all caught up in the film industry's "prequel" love affair, yet with tweaks every time. I mean, the whole crisis storylines since 1986 just seems like DC doesn't know how it truly wants to establish the history of their characters. I just feel in my personal opinion that without a mostly firm set history, how can you truly expect readers to fully connect with the future direction of a character's personality as they grow beyond what they once were in the beginning. That's all. However, I sill love their iconic characters, especially Superman, so I'm just going along for the big ride as long as the artwork and writing stay top notched.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Jekylhyde14

A few things I really liked about the origin story: 1) The fact that Lara built the rocket WITH Jor-El makes her just as responsible for Kal's survival as his father. 2) It gave a believable explanation for why they all just didn't hide in the Phantom Zone to save their lives. That issue has been troublesome for the Superman ethos since the Phantom Zone's creation. 3) Krypto's not dead! Haters are gonna hate but I love that dog.

I'm a little thrown by the whole Brainiac issue. As some have mentioned before, Brainiac 5 is still Coluan. They could be tweaking with his ancestry but... It's also funny that the Collector aliens look an awful lot like Brainiac albeit in a wormy sort of way. Of course, on Krypton, Brainiac was an A.I. program which possibly could have been running multiple devices and networks across Krypton. Remember that the Collector's sent their virus into Krypton's network which probably interfaced with the Brainiac A.I. system if it was running on this network. Is it possible that Brainiac was integrated into the Collector's technology and evolved into something new and sinister as a result? I'm just theorizing here so pay it no further mind than that.

It was a great issue. I can't wait to read the next.

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kadosho_16bit

@Or35ti: Oh Birthright was an awesome tale! Never could forget how dramatic and action packed it truly was.

Plus the art was so sophisticated, it didn't feel like the same artist throughout. It made it more interesting and diverse that way. Maybe Birthright's writer may take on this New 52 retelling.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By lorex

With as any times as Supermans origins have been told and retold over the years why do they feel the need to change it. Is it just the writers desire to be unique or is there more to it. The more the origin is altered is DC less obgliated to pay the blood sucking parasites, I mean family of the creators.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DEGRAAF

@UltimateSMfan said:

I think we'll just have to wait n see how this turns out cuz after 3 issues the mystery of the weird 6 legged alien was solved and even krypto's story was partially told so i think the writers want to keep certain thing hangin so we burst our brains tryin to figure it out n keep comin back for more :)

the 6 legged alien mystery was solved? or do you mean they just gave him the name of the collector?

@spiderbat87 said:

Well Brainy 5 was the son of Virl Dox, a clone of brainiac, it's quite easily conceivable that Brainiac will be a computer AI transplanted in to a clone Coluan body

Thats kind of what i was guessing too. Brainiac (the AI) will find an attach it's self to a host for some need to accomplish and that will start the lineage of the brainiac family

sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By sinful

wait wait wait...so jor el...thought it was a good idea to go into the phantom zone where its filled with harden criminals hat want to kill him rather then die on a planet....that made no sense....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.