Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics # 49 - Review

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay. Lets start this review a little differently.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Just these two scenes show why Pak leaves Yang miles away.

Ok. So Clark is no longer mummyfied and he gains all new powers.

Yep. They're not exactly the same powers. Even his strength works a little differently. When he one punch turns the Puzzler into a puzzle, Clark notices that during his punch there was somekind of kinetic energy release besides the punch. When Clark flies he seems to be leaving a trail of energy behind him. And instead of super-hearing Clark seems to possess super-touch, in the way he now can feel and interpret energy even if it's very far away.

Why this happened?! Clark idea in the last issue of Superman, was to use the kryptonite to eliminate the damaged cells in the upper layer of his body. But it seems said cells gave him a surprised and now have adapted to absorb kryptonite radiation. Giving him apparently his powers back but not quite. Not quite because there'sa twist in each of his powers, and also because Clark initial idea backfired, because now the kryptonite charged cells are actually killing off the healthy cells. And if I didn't know that in March, Clark powers are gonna be back to normal, I'd be thinking that DC was now gonna change Clark complete powerset.

So after turning Puzzler into a jigsaw, Clark flies away, and immediately finds WonderWoman. And here we get another very strange scene. Because comparing Yang Clark and how smug he was when referring to the breakup with Diana, now with Pak we get Clark acting towards Diana like nothing happened. Anyone that sees the scene between the two wouldn't say that they broke up at all.

And then Clark has to face another one of Vandal sons (really how many sons does that guy has??) which he's actually just a kid but Hulk sized.

We then see Vandal firing a energy beam somewhere into space, and Diana basically tells Clark, Vandal as pulled a move from the movie 2010 and the energy he's been stealing he fired it at Jupiter. Jupiter is now increasing in mass and pulling some of it's moons towards it. Or in other words... It seems Vandal is gonna turn Jupiter into a sun.

And here's where the plot totally lost me. At this point Vandal reasons are nowhere near clearer and we're still pretty much in the dark about what his goal was for doing all of this.

The comic was nothing special, but good. I really liked the new twist to Clark kryptonite fueled powers. The pace was fine, had a lot in it but for the most part I believe the goal was achieved. It was nice to see Clark flying and doing his Superman stuff without being Superman. Not yet. It was a nice change from Yang and Tomasi method of writting. Pak without a doubt has been making the best of the bad situation that was called Truth and now it's called Savage Dawn.

As a side note I'd like to add this final scan...

No Caption Provided

Please some in DC. Make Superman improve his damn fortress defenses. I'm getting a little sick and tired of it being stolen or trashed by basically anyone.

When it was H'El he basically kicked Superman out of it and changed all its defenses to protect H'El. General Sam Lane with his black hole guns made a big mess of the fortress in Unchained. When Brainiac invaded Earth and started to steal the psionic energy of everyone, again the fortress was of little help, it didn't stopped Cyborg Superman from breaking in and in the end it failed to protect everyone inside it.

Maybe a upgrade of the fortress is way overdue.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Superman been replaced by Bizarro in disguise? :)

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By suemorphplus209

@heavenlydarkdragon: TBH, I never liked an indestructible fortress, I enjoyed how Mongul broke in and whipped the trinity in For the Man Who Has Everything. I just don't like how often it has been messed around with in only four and a half years (almost) of continuity.

You mentioned Zor-El, well my beef was them not making him Hank Henshaw, when he makes more sense as a Kryptonian fanatic. He may get upgraded or something to be more like Henshaw, but him replacing Henshaw did not make much sense to me. Maybe it's my dose of Pre-Flashpoint nostalgia.

And yeah, I have to once again thank Pak for each time that it is his turn. If I had to choose a least worst writer for Truth and SD, it would be him.

As usual thanks for your reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fix grammar

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artistsupreme:

Really!? Grammar in the Vine. You're joking right?

You know there's other countries besides the USA, right?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904 said:

If he had, then he'd be speaking in reverse meaning. Freeze vision, flame breath :-)

Kryptonite powered is more like Ultraman or the K-Men.

And his powers in a way almost seem like those of Superboy, only instead of the telekinesis, Clark is using what it seems energy manipulation. Has refered to his kinetic explosion when he punched Puzzler and how now he's able to feel and understand signals. And how by flying he initially left that energy trail.

Honestly kryptonian energy processing seems limitless. Superboy Prime, when he absorbed the energy of that Guardian, he fully matured and gained the ability to travel through universes. When Superman was exposed to the sunlight of the anti-sun his powers went through the roof. When he was exposed to the magic powered sun, he gained magical powers. Apokolips fire pits and the negative look. And of course if he exposes himself to blue sunlight, neutron stars or even quasars, each create high exponential growth of his powers.

Honestly at this point Superman only needs to be exposed to the Speed Force, Quantum Field, all of the other colors of the emotional spectrum except for green, the Green, the Red, the Gray, the Black, the Bleed and finally the power of the Source Wall.

Just to see what would happen. I didn't mentioned the Rock of Eternity because it seems the so called Speed Force isn't only for speed powers only.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DieHard200904

@heavenlydarkdragon said:
    @diehard200904 said:

If he had, then he'd be speaking in reverse meaning. Freeze vision, flame breath :-)

Kryptonite powered is more like Ultraman or the K-Men.

And his powers in a way almost seem like those of Superboy, only instead of the telekinesis, Clark is using what it seems energy manipulation. Has refered to his kinetic explosion when he punched Puzzler and how now he's able to feel and understand signals. And how by flying he initially left that energy trail.

Honestly kryptonian energy processing seems limitless. Superboy Prime, when he absorbed the energy of that Guardian, he fully matured and gained the ability to travel through universes. When Superman was exposed to the sunlight of the anti-sun his powers went through the roof. When he was exposed to the magic powered sun, he gained magical powers. Apokolips fire pits and the negative look. And of course if he exposes himself to blue sunlight, neutron stars or even quasars, each create high exponential growth of his powers.

Honestly at this point Superman only needs to be exposed to the Speed Force, Quantum Field, all of the other colors of the emotional spectrum except for green, the Green, the Red, the Gray, the Black, the Bleed and finally the power of the Source Wall.

Just to see what would happen. I didn't mentioned the Rock of Eternity because it seems the so called Speed Force isn't only for speed powers only.

My apologies, I wasn't being serious in that post about Bizarro, I was cracking a joke (and a bad one at that) about how badly the revolving circle of Superman writers keeps changing the personality of Superman and his status in the universe. So I joked about Bizarro, given that in so many ways, with exceptions, Bizarro has a reverse logic and personality relative to Superman. But yes, Superman does change a great deal in different situations.

I am glad that soon Superman, while it will be another crossover event, at least he will have the same writer all the way through, which will keep the tone and personality consistent before we get the relaunch, and hopefully get some aspects like the Superman family restored.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.