Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics 41 Discussion.

• 53 results
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Just read it. As I feared the titles will crossover a good amount.

But anyway. It was okay. Better than I expected. But the loss of powers and characterization make Clark sound like generic good guy and that unfortunately can't be fixed.

There were some good things like light tone instead of what the previews let us think. Jimmy and Clark's neighborhood scene but overall, it cutted too short.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

But anyway. It was okay. Better than I expected. But the loss of powers and characterization make Clark sound like generic good guy and that unfortunately can't be fixed.

There were some good things like light tone instead of what the previews let us think. Jimmy and Clark's neighborhood scene but overall, it cutted too short.

I have only read the preview posted on CBR, and it actually made me want to know what happens next. I'm still going to wait and see what the general reception is and most likely wait for the trades.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think TRUTH makes me feel about Superman exactly how @jonny_anonymous feels about Waid's Daredevil.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

I have only read the preview posted on CBR, and it actually made me want to know what happens next. I'm still going to wait and see what the general reception is and most likely wait for the trades.

In the middle of the story there is a reference to JULY'S (!) issue of Superman. Yeah...wait for the trade.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Read it was pretty good

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermang said:
    @squalleon said:

In the middle of the story there is a reference to JULY'S (!) issue of Superman. Yeah...wait for the trade.

Let's just hope that it all ends up telling a good story when "Truth" is over.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Interesting

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Art was great, story was solid. I'd say this is a good start to the arc, really looking forward to next issues of this and Superman even more.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think TRUTH makes me feel about Superman exactly how @jonny_anonymous feels about Waid's Daredevil.

Well that's a realisation I should have made sooner. Now I really know how Jonny feels about Waid's Daredevil run.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

Well that's a realisation I should have made sooner. Now I really know how Jonny feels about Waid's Daredevil run.

booyah! lol

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You said it's like Waid's Daredevil.

While Waid's Daredevil isn't a bad book, on the contrary it is quite good. It takes away some of the elements that make the character unique. The dark, noir-crime tone. Matt's personality goes a 180 degrees turn. So "Truth" is like that. It probably won't be bad but it just isn't Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it! loved his reaction and mannerism to meeting Jimmy!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lvenger

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

booyah! lol

Perhaps but the other irony/disagreement we have my friend is that we both like what the other hates. I would be tempted to read Waid's Daredevil if Waid weren't being such a stuck up jerk these days and you've told me you're interested in Truth as a premise. That's the flipside to our mutual understanding.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

booyah! lol

Perhaps but the other irony/disagreement we have my friend is that we both like what the other hates. I would be tempted to read Waid's Daredevil if Waid weren't being such a stuck up jerk these days and you've told me you're interested in Truth as a premise. That's the flipside to our mutual understanding.

This is true but I also hear that Yuen is a great indy writer

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Being good at indies doesn't translate to being good at mainstream superheroes unfortunately. I was initially excited for Yang writing Superman but when the details of Truth started popping up, I lost my enthusiasm.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Have you read Superman today yet? I'm about to.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Isn't it Action Comics out today? And no I haven't just seen the spoilers online. Not very fond of giving money to comics I don't want to read, I did that with Grounded and that was a huge mistake IMO.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@jonny_anonymous: Isn't it Action Comics out today? And no I haven't just seen the spoilers online. Not very fond of giving money to comics I don't want to read, I did that with Grounded and that was a huge mistake IMO.

Sorry yeah Action Comics. Did you see actual spoilers or just that free preview story they put out? One issue isn't going to break the bank, even I got the first three or 4 issue of Waid's DD.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: No it's not but I don't want to add to the sales figures of something I don't like. I rarely just refuse to buy certain comics, let alone Superman, but everything about Truth is almost tailor made to be written as if it's a 'Superman' story I would hate reading.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't read it yet because I'm waiting for the TPB so this may seem a stupid question but has Superman completely lost his abilities? I was under the impression he had a slight amount of strength or is that wrong?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah but you should at least try something before you completely condemn it

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

While Waid's Daredevil isn't a bad book, on the contrary it is quite good. It takes away some of the elements that make the character unique. The dark, noir-crime tone. Matt's personality goes a 180 degrees turn. So "Truth" is like that. It probably won't be bad but it just isn't Superman.

Why? Sure he doesn't look much like the hero we know but at the end of the day Superman is still behaving as Superman

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read it yet because I'm waiting for the TPB so this may seem a stupid question but has Superman completely lost his abilities? I was under the impression he had a slight amount of strength or is that wrong?

Almost. He can barely leap medium sized buildings :P His best strength feat was lifting four 6 year olds in his arms :P

Yeah, definitely trade wait. This issue referenced JULY's Superman issue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:
    @squalleon said:
    @superguy1591 said:

Why? Sure he doesn't look much like the hero we know but at the end of the day Superman is still behaving as Superman

Yeah. That was the main criticism I have about the book. Clark sounding very generic. Without his powers and identity, he comes of as generic good guy. That's why I don't like depowered Superman. The powers are part of his core. And affect his personality and inner voice. Without them he is very bland.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah but you should at least try something before you completely condemn it

I really don't have to, everything about Truth that's been revealed is literally everything I don't want to read in a Superman comic. I gave Pak's initial run a try, I even gave Lobdell's run a go but Truth is already shaping up to be the story I never wanted to read from the 8 page previews alone. There really isn't anything or any reason I would want to try Truth in the first place.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:
    @squalleon said:
    @superguy1591 said:

Yeah. That was the main criticism I have about the book. Clark sounding very generic. Without his powers and identity, he comes of as generic good guy. That's why I don't like depowered Superman. The powers are part of his core. And affect his personality and inner voice. Without them he is very bland.

I dunno,he didn't seem bland at all to me,still, of course i prefer a fully powered Superman....who doesn't? However i am going to follow this story arc and i have to say that i liked this issue more than what i was expecting.

Superlad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's about as strong as Ultimate Captain America. It was commented that he was commented by someone in the issue that he's still a little stronger than the was expected. He does use his ripped up cape to pack more punch though. Do you remember the child who stole Superman's cape from the issue #0 by Morrison? Think that basically.

As for waiting for TPB? That's up to you at the end of the day, but I will say that the references to other issue don't stunt your understanding of the story one bit. There is more than enough exposition to get you through. The mention of Superman #42 is rather superficial. Superman doesn't give any new information on the threat that we already didn't know. He even goes out of his way to mention that the threat was just as present in the free preview. You could have just read that and been up to speed.

All we know is that everything pops off at Superman #41. But even then you are given the gist of it without going into the separate story angle that is being worked there.

Doctor_Ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Doctor_Ankh

@lvenger: waid, stuck up jerk? There was the whole him critiquing Orson Scott Card, which to me reeked of jealousy, but what else?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superlad93: It's actually a force of habit. I generally don't buy issues unless I'm desperate and even then I buy digital only miniseries. Everything else I wait for TPB's. It's a grind what with the inconsistent release schedule but I personally prefer the hardback trades.

@soldierofel said:

Almost. He can barely leap medium sized buildings :P His best strength feat was lifting four 6 year olds in his arms :P

Yeah, definitely trade wait. This issue referenced JULY's Superman issue.

Ah, I can already tell the new 52 capability thread is going to be quiet for a few months. Unless we scale it down. Yay /s

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what about the confusing timeline of Truth? If it really did reference an issue which is coming out next month to gain a better understanding of certain scenes, doesn't that contradict the "This isn't a traditional crossover" false advertising?

Superlad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Superlad93

@soldierofel said:

@superlad93: It's actually a force of habit. I generally don't buy issues unless I'm desperate and even then I buy digital only miniseries. Everything else I wait for TPB's. It's a grind what with the inconsistent release schedule but I personally prefer the hardback trades.

Ah I see. Well then in some ways I envy you! You're gonna get to experience the whole thing at once and really judge for yourself. As with everything in this world, I hope you enjoy your time reading this book when you can!

Superlad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: The references are small and don't need much thought. Take the reference to issue #41 of Superman for instance, he talks about how his identity got blown there. We needed to establish why he was in this state we see him in, but we didn't get any info that was unreasonable or that broke the story if we didn't read the other book. Clark doesn't bring up the fact that Lois is the one who outed him or any real details. All of that stuff is for Yang to deal with. What we need was the starting point for the situation in Truth aka Clark being outed.

Same can be said about the reference to issue 42 of Superman. In fact we learn nothing that we didn't learn in the free preview for Action comics. It just says that issue 42 is where he first sees the threat.

Action Comics seems to have it's own agenda to tell. I expect that is true for all the other books too

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superlad93: It's strange, I'm actually envious of you guys who collect issues. One because of the sweet collections you all get but really because you get to experience the story as it happens. Many would say that I'm only a casual fan because I collect TPB's but I like to think that I'm pretty hardcore when I want to be lol.

Superlad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: I think it's a grass is always greener sort of thing lol.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SaintWildcard

A solid start to what is to be an interesting arc in Clark's life. Not as great as the Superman's Joker arc, but it's by no means boring. Pak continues to write Clark's vibe the way I like him. No stick in sight. 7.5/10

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SaintWildcard

Also, thank base Kuder. His Jimmy design is 10 times better than JrJr's 90's kid. Looks kinda like a hipster in the summer but whatever, I think he's just like that cus it's a celebration. Couldn't gather much on how Pak writes him compared to Johns, but he didn't annoy me like he did in Johns run so that's a plus.

Edit- Here's Hipster Jimmy

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@lvenger said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

I really don't have to, everything about Truth that's been revealed is literally everything I don't want to read in a Superman comic. I gave Pak's initial run a try, I even gave Lobdell's run a go but Truth is already shaping up to be the story I never wanted to read from the 8 page previews alone. There really isn't anything or any reason I would want to try Truth in the first place.

I don't think you will hate this as much as you think you will

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@fuzzylittlerodent: hey there sorry been a bit busy with exams. Nearly done. You will see me around more often from next week.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. The crossover was pretty much given.

Overall it was okay. Did find it strange how at one point he's saying that he no longer could jump tall buildings and at the end of the comic he was jumping pretty high. Sure, not has high has he would if is powers were at their maximum, but still pretty high. It reminded me of Golden Age Superman.

The very end of the comic did left me, fearing the worst, for the people that was there to welcome him back to Metropolis. Seems someone is taking xenophobia to extremes.

But still I found it more credible than the Justice League comic. Did you noticed the mistakes and how DC is already bringing up problems where there shouldn't be any. Like Wonder Wonder thoughts about Steve Trevor.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: No, Lobdell, Snyder, Geoff(Superman), and Pak (in Doomed) have all had Superman go MUCH further than that.

If they don't want them together I don't know why they're keeping them together. Anyway, the jumping thing was Pak's way of saying his powers are coming back and that it's not permanent. He even gives us an exposition are line of "he's stronger than we thought" to imply that he's more powerful that he was the last time they saw him.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, the jumping thing was Pak's way of saying his powers are coming back and that it's not permanent. He even gives us an exposition are line of "he's stronger than we thought" to imply that he's more powerful that he was the last time they saw him.

Just has long has they at least come up with a credible explanation for why his powers started fading in the first place.

And no. I don't want lame excuses like, in post-52/pre-flashpoint when Superman was also left depowered and the reason why, was because he subconsciously blocked his powers. Or that it was because of the Flare power, because that would be ridiculous. "Lets introduce this new power and make a big deal out of it, just so later we're forced to remove it".

If any of these hypothesis are even being considered by DC, it will be maybe one of the biggest WTF ever.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Superguy1591

@heavenlydarkdragon: the flare damaged his cells and made storing energy harder. I think it had a lot to do with the amount of times he used the power in Superman 40 (he used it 4 times in a short period) when he was testing it out so Vic can help him understand it. My guess is that his cells are slowly rebuilding themselves in this arc though.

As far as the Flare power: Romita jr's one shot did hint at Superman wanting to master that power, so I doubt they'll retconn it for good. I think he'll just learn how to use it with a lesser impact on his body.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Better that than the alternative. The alternative being, he simply couldn't get a grip on that power and has such he would've to train so he never again used that power.

Also if it's the Flare power, at least I hope DC comes out and says something along the lines of "His body went through the depower period because his cells were evolving, growing stronger, so not only can Superman now use the Flare without getting depowered but also he's now able to fully control the energy output, and also use it in other ways". If it goes along these lines than I'm okay with it.

Although why make it seem like both Kal and Kara were both loosing their powers, will need a much better explanation.

Just my opinion.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I could be wrong, but it was heavily implied that his flare power was cause. Everything I'm saying is from the Romita jr one shot, so I don't know if Pak, GLY and Tomasi are going to keep it, but after he used his power last and got drunk by accident in 40, he could barely fly and he wasn't as durable as he usually is. After 24 hours, Clark was supposed to be back to normal though.

It might be a different thing, but, as of now, I'm certain it's the flare.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.