Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics 36!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Tell me that was a great opening? I just hope Pak can finish before we get another event cramed down our throat...

Like that Convergence event...eww.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Loved it. Pak is writing the best Superman IMO. He seems so down to earth and in this issue he looked real happy. Lana contiunes to be a great character. The ending was both awesome and creepy

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm actually thinking about picking this one up. I stopped reading when Doom started.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

Tell me that was a great opening? I just hope Pak can finish before we get another event cramed down our throat...

Like that Convergence event...eww.

At least Doomed was confined to only Superman books. I will say though Convergence looks pretty good.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was great.Great storytelling,great characterization and great art.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SanoHibiki

Cthulhu, is that you?

Seriosly, looking forward to AC more than to Unchained and Superman combined, f…ing love Pak’s style.

Can’t help but think about MOS Jor-El when I see bearded Clark.

P.S. Nice speed feat in this issue, for a second I even thought that Clark went Speed Force on us ;-)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: not his fault, Lobdell and Soule happened.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: indeed, he nearly tagged himself. I keep saying that Pak should pen some Superman animated movies, but hopefully a DCAU director finally listens.

I like that he's not afraid to be different.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was really good, i enjoyed reading it. Art was awesome, super beard for the win.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I just don't think DC writes a good event. It seems like the events that fall apart always would've been more enjoyable than the ones they set up.

Forever Evil was okay, but I wouldn't have preferred the Helspont vs. DCU. I don't know if The Dakrseid Wars are still going to happen, but if the Convergence event is replacing it...ugh!

@papinacho: well, we don't have to worry about that in the short term. Johns says no Superman crossover with his book and Tomasi just started his run. Looks like Pak has till May to finish up before DC gets in the way again.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the call of cthulhu vibe this isssue has

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Not to me, Marvel maybe, but DC does a really good job with events (probably because Geoff Johns usually handles them).

Also I don't get what the "ugh" is for, just read the comics as they come (or don't if the end up looking bad like Axis).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I don't read Marvel. I think the reason why I don't like events as much is because the little guy gets lost too often.

Doomed had people at risk, but I didn't get to see those people actually in harms way.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I don't read Marvel. I think the reason why I don't like events as much is because the little guy gets lost too often.

Doomed had people at risk, but I didn't get to see those people actually in harms way.

That makes sense, I was wondering why you would be complaining about DC events after everything Marvel has been doing. I like them, so long as they are good and spaced out well enough. Of course that all comes down to taste.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I blame Marvel for DC's events. If Marvel fan boys didn't buy their terrible events, DC wouldn't think fans enjoyed events.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I blame Marvel for DC's events. If Marvel fan boys didn't buy their terrible events, DC wouldn't think fans enjoyed events.

To be fair though, DC events are usually either good, or not bad, so I don't completely mind. At least DC seems to be keeping it to one major event per year (heck maybe less), instead of having a giant event, follow another giant event immediately afterwords (I still can't believe Marvel did that), while a bunch of smaller events are happening at the same time.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: We can blame them a little. Still your right, it does sell.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By johnqestion

@superguy1591 said:

@papinacho: not his fault, Lobdell and Soule happened.

I won't blame Soule. Pak's Action did not suffer like Soule's Superman and Wonder Woman which got totally derailed and WW getting squeezed back for SM supporting cast in the SM/WW books and Annual. Blame editorial if you must blame someone.

Oh and Lana and Steel are cute. I must say Lana Lang is easily more interesting than Lois Lane in the new 52. Never thought I ever see that. She is showing she don't need to be lovelorn or cheerleader for Clark but can be her own woman and different professions etc and be a strong presence.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I was dissapointed :( I give this series a full arc to win me over again.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was dissapointed :( I give this series a full arc to win me over again.

Elaborate

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Really? What didn't you like about it? I thought it was a fun book in a genre foreign to Supes.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: @saint_wildcard:

I really don't know what I didn't like. I thought the story wasn't compelling, probably because it is the arc opener and it a bit decompressed. I don't like where Lana's story is going since Doomed, she is just plain annoying for my taste, I get her but the 180 turn is just too sudden for my taste no matter the shock she's gotten through. Anyway the villain was generic and I just didn't feel the spooky (thats just me though I never felt spooked from a comic :P).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't know what I didn't like. I thought the story wasn't compelling, probably because it is the arc opener and it a bit decompressed. I don't like where Lana's story is going since Doomed, she is just plain annoying for my taste, I get her but the 180 turn is just too sudden for my taste no matter the shock she's gotten through. Anyway the villain was generic and I just didn't feel the spooky (thats just me though I never felt spooked from a comic :P).

Must... resist.... Wraith comeback

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

I really don't know why you find Wraith so bad. I personally enjoyed him a lot. He had personality,he was intimidating and most of all ambiguous. The only problem was the generic 90s Jim Lee design but even that can be fixed. Anyway smarta$$ comebacks about Unchained doesn't elevate (the current) Action and neither will I try to defend Unchained.
    But at least from the last two issues (35,36) I really don't resonate with Action, probably because I haven't read Doomed and maybe because I am not a fan of the changes it brought, with Lana and Smallville and of course the horror element that I personally don't feel. Anyway I really don't want to drop that title because it was so fun pre-Doomed and I really want to see it return to that.
    God, let Tomasi do wonders in SM/WW I really want a second Superman title to enjoy :(

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You mean that Lana went from being the biggest defender of Supes to become his biggest doubter? If that is the case, I expressed my dismay about that too, but I think it was Lois Lane fans who cried that Lana should not be Supes' biggest fan--it should be Lois Lane.

@saint_wildcard: ugh...Wraith...=|

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Superman is taking the lead and doing things on his own, even if it's to save Smallville once again.

I really hope he loses the beard soon, and also if Clark got over his whole If-Superman-Is-Needed thing I would really appreciate it. We all know Superman is needed, heck even batman knows he's needed. So lets get focused on other more serious things. Really this whole dilema thing isn't needed. I still remember "Grounded" from pre-flashpoint.

In a way I like the direction of Superman stopping and recheck his priorities and where he's needed the most, but I sure hope he doesn't stretch this far to long.

All in all it's been ok. Nothing great so far, but I'm always waiting and hoping.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a great issue.Superman should have more Magic base villains.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

@squalleon said:

I really don't know why you find Wraith so bad. I personally enjoyed him a lot. He had personality,he was intimidating and most of all ambiguous. The only problem was the generic 90s Jim Lee design but even that can be fixed. Anyway smarta$$ comebacks about Unchained doesn't elevate (the current) Action and neither will I try to defend Unchained.

But at least from the last two issues (35,36) I really don't resonate with Action, probably because I haven't read Doomed and maybe because I am not a fan of the changes it brought, with Lana and Smallville and of course the horror element that I personally don't feel. Anyway I really don't want to drop that title because it was so fun pre-Doomed and I really want to see it return to that.

God, let Tomasi do wonders in SM/WW I really want a second Superman title to enjoy :(

It is true also the opposit though:making AC look worse than it really is won't elevate Unchained either.

Then (i know that this is simply a personal opinion just like my own) i don't get how the villain in AC could be defined generic, i haven't seen something like him before.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toptom

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: You mean that Lana went from being the biggest defender of Supes to become his biggest doubter? If that is the case, I expressed my dismay about that too, but I think it was Lois Lane fans who cried that Lana should not be Supes' biggest fan--it should be Lois Lane.

Cmon guys,it made sense. She has just lost his parents thanks to Braniac which was one of Clark's villains and 2 months after that a monster shows up an turns them into zombies...everyboy would loose control like that.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

@superguy1591 said:

Cmon guys,it made sense. She has just lost his parents thanks to Braniac which was one of Clark's villains and 2 months after that a monster shows up an turns them into zombies...everyboy would loose control like that.

She was against Supes before her parents were raised from the dead. Also Brainiac as a Superman villain is classification that we make on Brainiac(in the real world) not the world of DC in the comics. Brainiac was pitted against Supes only once before, I think it was even mentioned in Doomed.

This isn't the seasoned pre 52 Brainiac.

@toptom said:

It is true also the opposit though:making AC look worse than it really is won't elevate Unchained either.

Then (i know that this is simply a personal opinion just like my own) i don't get how the villain in AC could be defined generic, i haven't seen something like him before.

I never brought up unchained. Saint did. I came on this thread to answer to the OP's question and Saint tried to sound smart.
    Really? It was just another tentacle monster?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

I never brought up unchained. Saint did. I came on this thread to answer to the OP's question and Saint tried to sound smart.

Really? It was just another tentacle monster?

Funny, not smart.

.... that's what makes it generic? Being a tentacle monster? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the main villain of the arc

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By toptom

I think it is aceptable for Lana to be mad at Superman for not saving her parents. We all know that Superman isn't a god,he can't save everyone,and i belive even Lana realizes this...still that kind of pain goes beyong logic and she can't help to be a little enraged with Clark.That's normal,that's human but she will forgive him with the time.

Plus,braniac (the new-52 one) may be a not only a Superman's foe...but he certanly is one of them,and having a monster that shows a tentacle or two doesn't automatically make it is just "another tentacle monster",i've never seen such strange foe before:half gost,half monster,half human...with some zobies around. I bet that even the ManBearPig is jealous of him.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.