Action Comics #18

#1 Posted by MyComicStoreDotNET (46 posts) - - Show Bio

With Andy Diggle starting his run on AC in March, I'm trying to figure out if it may be a comic worth getting. I've really not liked Grant Morrison's run on AC (I've had a very tough time keeping up with/understanding what the frak is going on ever since #5). Can anyone give me their feelings on Diggle's past work? I really want to start reading some Superman again, but Scott Lobdell and Morrison are making it very hard to do so.

#2 Edited by Squalleon (4032 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyComicStoreDotNET: I really liked his Green Arrow Year one and his Losers!So i expect a good run.

Also give Scott Lobdell a chance he seems to become better and better by the issue.The only problem is that he started with a crossover.

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon well really he started in issue 0 (sorry I couldn't resist) :P

#4 Posted by Squalleon (4032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@Squalleon well really he started in issue 0 (sorry I couldn't resist) :P

His first "Story Arc" was a crossover!

#5 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a lot of faith in Diggle, I liked his Green Arrow: Year One and I really am expecting him to surprise everyone with AC. He hasn't done a whole lot in the superhero genre, and his stories usually tend to be darker, so a lot of people are worried about him handling Superman, but... I'm feeling confident.

And as mentioned above, Lobdell has gotten better with each issue of his Superman run. It seems like it took him a little while to find his footing (as it does on most of his titles, really) but he keeps improving.

#6 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a huge Superman fan, and I'm greatly looking forward to Diggle taking over. I'm not a Morrison fan at all, he writes like an acid trip. Green Arrow: Year One was great, so was the Losers, I think Diggle will be great, but we're all just treading water waiting for Snyder/Lee.

Lobdell, like others have said, is doing a lot better now with Superman. He was great on Red Hood, so if Diggle does go darker, he should have a lighter Superman, and I like the idea of multiple sides if we're going to have multiple books anyways.

#7 Edited by MyComicStoreDotNET (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Really appreciate the input! I'm thinking I'll try out Diggle's run now. Does anyone know what the differences still are between Action Comics and Superman? I know when New 52 first started, AC occurs just after Clark moves to Metropolis, and Superman is roughly 5 years after that, but Morrison's run has just been so jumbled to me, that I really don't get the chronology of it anymore. Part of what confuses me is how in AC, Supes is always switching back and forth between the Kryptonian armor and his t-shirt and jeans look (I kind of like the latter more, at least for AC).

See as far as Scott Lobdell goes, I've been reading Lobdell's Red Hood, and Teen Titans since the beginning, and I really don't like what he has done with them. Each time I get my copies of TT and RH&O I think "Well maybe it won't stink this time!" only to always be disappointed.

#8 Posted by Squalleon (4032 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyComicStoreDotNET said:

Really appreciate the input! I'm thinking I'll try out Diggle's run now. Does anyone know what the differences still are between Action Comics and Superman? I know when New 52 first started, AC occurs just after Clark moves to Metropolis, and Superman is roughly 5 years after that, but Morrison's run has just been so jumbled to me, that I really don't get the chronology of it anymore.

The first two issues of Diggle's run will be 1 year before the current events of superman and after that it will return to the present.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.