Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

A Superman video game-Why not just use GA Superman?

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Many have believed that a Superman video game would be incredibly hard thing to do because he is " too powerful" ( which is a load of balony.....unless we use SA Superman), but if you think it's too hard...why not just use Superman with his GA power set. It seems like a good fit for game mechanics. Powerful, but not invincible, he can be hurt relatively easily. His super senses can work as the same way we saw Batman using his gadgets in AA and AC. IDK, just have some innovation, who says that it has to take place on Earth?

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Nice one or even use the animated version.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SandMan_

The animated versions power set was good, he got his butt kicked a lot.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

GA with a slightly weak heat-vision and flight would be perfect.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

GA with a slightly weak heat-vision and flight would be perfect.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think that's necessary. I think a modern age Superman game is doable, the designers just need more creativity. You don't need to depower Supes to emphasize investigative journalism and strategy. Maybe in one in-game story arc he's trying to find a way to link Luthor to various crimes that he commits through a proxy.

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DRUDOX19

@soduh2: I agree great point also I think Superman is hard not because of hes too powerful ( If true how the hell did the japanese make games with OP characters cause they do that ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!! Asura Path anyone lol) its because superman universe is massive. Batman has Gotham and its famous locations, Superman not only has Metropolis you have , Warworld, Apokolips, Strykers Island, Phantom Zone, Fortress of Solitude, Smallville that I can understand from a design standpoint is very difficult. But I will not buy this BS of he's too powerful if that were true the Budakai games or DBZ Raging Blast games wouldn't sell would they.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are some problems with making a superman game.It will have to be free roaming and people will expect to be able to fly in the game and that instantly makes the world they would be making feel smaller. Then you have the problem of who does he fight and how. You cant have him fighting regluar humans becuase super man will one shot them from the air with heat vision. Which means you have to make complacted AI that can persue superman. Than what villians will you have most of sups rogues demolish buildings with single blows so the world has to be breakable. So the real problem is scale maybe in a couple years a game will be possible but right know it just isnt

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I guess ?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

That wouldn't be bad although I feel like it does a disservice to the character in general that they can't embrace him at his fullest and develop a narrative and gameplay system that works properly without having to nerf him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@sandman_: What about a New 52 Superman power level a la Morrison's Action Comics run? Plenty of story opportunities if mixed with a GA flavour not to mention it appeases the concerns of those who think Superman is too powerful. It'd balance better IMO since New 52 Superman was a bit more powerful than GA Superman.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: it's kinda the same. But it GA or New 52 would be a good power set for Superman.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sandman_:

Golden Age Superman's powers came from his alien biology and everyone had those powers on Krypton, they had harder skin and were super strong and fast. Now when the Silver Age began to start he was developing some of the powers he would have later on like flight and began getting stronger and more durable. This must be because he SLOWLY absorbed yellow sunlight compared to the modern Supes. I think the '78 movie explained his powers like that. One part biology, one part yellow sun. I never cared for the retcon of he didn't figure out those powers until later.

Start with Jor-El explaining this before Kal is sent to earth so as not to have just casual fans of Superman who would expect him to have all of his powers from the get go become annoyed with this. As the game progresses, the story spanning several years or so, it shows Superman's reputation grow and his rogues gallery grow as well.

Each new chapter of the game starts with the origin of a villain with said villain being the main villain of the chapter. After you beat a certain number of chapters, let's say 2-3, you unlock a new power. In terms of powers besides strength and would start small like having enhanced hearing to pick up on local crime(Like Batman could in Arkham City) and x-ray vision(Works like Detective Mode, but less highly detailed like Batman's and more like Robin's DM where it just shows hidden stuff and who's armed), then move on to heat vision, super breath, and freeze breath. As far as things like strength and durability go these would be able to be upgraded anytime, provided you have enough XP. Speed would be used more like a straight forward blitz attack, like if you run into an enemy you punch them, but can be used to get around. Leaping would be the main mode of travel for up to the middle of the game where you unlock flying, with the leaping being like Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Now the main thing is that while you get more powerful, so do the villains. The usual random thugs would be members of Intergang, getting greater more advanced tech to combat Superman and villains like Toyman upgrading his toys to be bigger and stronger or Luthor getting Kryptonite powered robots.

Speaking of Lex he'd be like he is in Superman TAS, a big business man that Supes can't really take down because he always covers his tracks.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to play Golden Age Superman! I didn't even think of that. Nice call!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By SaintWildcard
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@lordofthenorth: They could just do robots for the small time cannon fodder type goons all action games have. Superman has to deal with all kinds of enemies that have easy access to tech, Lex Luthor, Brainiac and Toy Man use robotics all the time. You could also use Parademons and Warworlders for similar purposes. There's no need to have Superman actually fist fight any non powered humans aside from maybe Lex in his power suit. As for the power level just throw in the villains that actually have a comparable power level, like Zod, Darkseid, Mongol, Doomsday, Metallo, Bizzaro etc.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: First the problem isnt the types of enemies its that they can fly which is hard to for tons of Ai that are realy their to be connanfodder and the problems with the villians are that they can all pretty much distroy buildings by punching them

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@lordofthenorth: Flight has been done too many times to count in video games and done really well in some cases so it shouldn't really be a problem. As for the AI, every action game has tons of random foes, I don't see why it'd be any harder to do it with robots or whatever for Superman to punch and as for the power level, its not a problem if they cause some collateral property damage because that is common to video games and comics alike.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@saint_rog_el: well the source isn't quoted, and i'm not familiar with this guy to know if he gets good sources, BUT I hope it is true. If he'd named the gaming studio I think it would make it either more or less trust worthy.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nightwing817

I don't think a GA Superman should be used in a game. Most people would want to play Superman at his fullest or darn near close to it. Maybe his strength levels and abilities could be that of GA, but most people would want to fly, so there should at least be that.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

@nightwing817: probably at the end.

I wish it was in the beginning. I don't want to have to wait until the end to fly.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MetalJimmor

Like Nightwing said, people won't want to play a severely depowered, weakened Superman with limited powers outside the truly committed Superman fans. Superman's great power is a cornerstone of the character. When you think of Superman you think of flight, immense strength, and heat vision. If people buy a Superman game and find the character is considerably weaker than what they feel Superman should be, they won't enjoy the game as much. You'll have dashed their hopes and dreams of the greatest male power fantasy since God of War upon the cold, hard rocks of "Game mechanics limitations", sending them into a spirally depression for ages to come.

The internet will go up in flames as riots break out all across the forums. "Superman is too weak!" They'd cry, desperately clinging to their controller in a cold sweat, rocking back and forth with their knees pressed against their chest. "How will I ever feel like a man now!?" Game reviews will go on with their own witty criticisms of the game. "Man of Steel? More like Man of Paper Machete!" and "The game does a good job telling the story of Clark Kent, but falls short of being a SUPERman game." will be all across the comments sections of every game site. All will lose their hope in humanity, and civilization as we know it will come to an abrupt end.

... Maybe I'm overreacting. But still, it could happen.

Superman's game has to feel epic, it has to be large scale, and it has to make the player feel like they are an indestructible alien god while also posing a challenge in the gameplay. It will not be easy. But it will be worth it.

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Nightwing said, people won't want to play a severely depowered, weakened Superman with limited powers outside the truly committed Superman fans. Superman's great power is a cornerstone of the character. When you think of Superman you think of flight, immense strength, and heat vision. If people buy a Superman game and find the character is considerably weaker than what they feel Superman should be, they won't enjoy the game as much. You'll have dashed their hopes and dreams of the greatest male power fantasy since God of War upon the cold, hard rocks of "Game mechanics limitations", sending them into a spirally depression for ages to come.

The internet will go up in flames as riots break out all across the forums. "Superman is too weak!" They'd cry, desperately clinging to their controller in a cold sweat, rocking back and forth with their knees pressed against their chest. "How will I ever feel like a man now!?" Game reviews will go on with their own witty criticisms of the game. "Man of Steel? More like Man of Paper Machete!" and "The game does a good job telling the story of Clark Kent, but falls short of being a SUPERman game." will be all across the comments sections of every game site. All will lose their hope in humanity, and civilization as we know it will come to an abrupt end.

... Maybe I'm overreacting. But still, it could happen.

Superman's game has to feel epic, it has to be large scale, and it has to make the player feel like they are an indestructible alien god while also posing a challenge in the gameplay. It will not be easy. But it will be worth it.

You're absolutely right. I feel like an origin story would be best. His power can grow immensely throughout the game, and have the final battle be an extremely intense, destructive battle of strength and speed.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Superguy1591

Nah, I want to be Superman, not some other man.

I want to punch planes, move the moon, topple mountains. You can set limitations on him be invoking casualties. Moving the moon causes tidal wives, toppling mountains cause tremors that cause Earthquakes ...

All this leads to Superman killing people, and we know Supes don't kill mortal men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.