A Story to Make Me Like Superman?

#1 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never really liked Superman. Yeah, my favorite hero is Batman...

But anyway, I realized I've never read any of Superman's solo stuff. I've only actually seen him in comics that weren't his own title. So I'm thinking that maybe if I read one really outstanding Superman book, it would make me change my opinion and gain an interest in the Man of Steel. Maybe not, but I'm curious to see.

So, all of the Superman fans and buffs out there, what's the one Superman book that could win me over?

#2 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

There will be many great comic books getting mentioned Not many will say this: Action Comics 775. If you can get a hold of that, great! It's also turning into an animated film soon called Superman vs the Elite.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright, Last Son, All-Star, Red Son, or Kingdom Come. Pick one and enjoy.

#4 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman all the way! A truly amazing book!

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

This and I'll add Secret Origin, Death of Superman, For Tomorrow and the Man of Steel arc by John Byrne.

#6 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@noj said:

All Star Superman all the way! A truly amazing book!

@Supreme Marvel said:

There will be many great comic books getting mentioned Not many will say this: Action Comics 775. If you can get a hold of that, great! It's also turning into an animated film soon called Superman vs the Elite.

Good choices.
#7 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

All star, Secret Origin, Superman Earth One.

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Dude, you jacked my recommendation dude, not cool dude, not cool at all......dude

#9 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Secret Identity

#10 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I was actually planning on reading Kingdom Come soon, so I guess I'll check that out first since it seems highly recommended. If I like it I'll check out some of the other suggestions.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Dude, you jacked my recommendation dude, not cool dude, not cool at all......dude

Sorry brochacho, but great minds think alike... And it really is a great story. Not even just for Superman, but pretty much for all the DC characters in it as well.

#12 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Sorry brochacho, but great minds think alike... And it really is a great story. Not even just for Superman, but pretty much for all the DC characters in it as well.

Yeah dudemeister definitely one of the most radical DC stories out there, the sequel however was not nearly as bodacious.......and with that word I am officially out of dude terms

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah dudemeister definitely one of the most radical DC stories out there, the sequel however was not nearly as bodacious.......and with that word I am officially out of dude terms

That's cool brah. And yeah, the sequel kind of sucked.

#14 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

To be fair I was expecting it to be in the first reply...sadly, it was second.

#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman, Man Of Steel, Kingdom Come, Superman: Brainiac, Superman : Godfall, What is so funny about truth, justice and the american way?

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

To be fair I was expecting it to be in the first reply...sadly, it was second.

True enough, its usually the first thing to pop into peoples minds

I would like to add that when Kingdom Come Superman was in the JLA it was a decent story I think it was called "Thy Kingdom Come"

#17 Posted by Superlad93 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zomboid: Read the new Action comics. Its a good starting off point because its a new DCU and a new Superman you may have not been aware of. I say give it a look :)
#18 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3520 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Brainiac is the best Superman book I've read, second only to All-Star. Highly recommend it.

#19 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

Yes I was about to mention 775.

#20 Edited by Superguy1591 (3394 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for writing up a shopping list for me. Saves me from having to search for reviews.

#22 Posted by NewKid (362 posts) - - Show Bio

no one mentions Superman For All Seasons?

#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@NewKid said:

no one mentions Superman For All Seasons?

Never read it. The art's an instant turn off for me.

#24 Posted by NewKid (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zomboid: Definitely Superman For All Seasons. it's the one that made me love the character after not reading anything about him that had clicked before.

#25 Posted by conorbas440044 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

How come no one said THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS fucking amazing superman writing

#26 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

^ hahahaha!

NO...

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of Superman starts slow but once Superman and Doomsday actually start fighting it's awesome

#28 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8112 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Superman normally but I quite enjoyed Superman: Red Son

#29 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why anyone is recommending Superman: Godfall...the art was the only thing good about that story...everything else was horrible

#30 Edited by RickZeo (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, i think it really depends on what you are looking for in a Comic Book Story. For example, there may be a lot of people who like Grant Morrisons All Star Superman, but, even through i consider Superman my favorite Comic Book Character, that book just wasn't for me.

What i'm trying to get at is, while there are lots of great Superman Comics out there, many of them are good in very different ways. So, without a little more information about what kind of Comics you usually like, it's kinda hard to recommend the right one for you.

Anyway, personally, the one i probably enjoyed the most was Superman for All Seasons by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, which, at its core, is basically a coming-of-age story. Another one that's really amazing and IMO very underated is Darwyn Cookes "Kryptonite" arc from Superman Confidential.

#31 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@RickZeo said:

Well, i think it really depends on what you are looking for in a Comic Book Story. For example, there may be a lot of people who like Grant Morrisons All Star Superman, but, even through i consider Superman my favorite Comic Book Character, that book just wasn't for me.

What i'm trying to get at is, while there are lots of great Superman Comics out there, many of them are good in very different ways. So, without a little more information about what kind of Comics you usually like, it's kinda hard to recommend the right one for you.

Anyway, personally, the one i probably enjoyed the most was Superman for All Seasons by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, which, at its core, is basically a coming-of-age story. Another one that's really amazing and IMO very underated is Darwyn Cookes "Kryptonite" arc from Superman Confidential.

I usually enjoy more darker and serious stuff, which is probably why Batman is my favorite. I can go for anything really though, as long as it's not very cheesy and lame.

I just finished Kingdom Come and really enjoyed it. It wasn't a solo Superman book though, and I didn't love it because of his presence. It featured plenty of other characters to enjoy. I think I'll check out either Red Son next, mostly just because it's very short, or All-Star, because of Morrison. Or maybe even Superman for All Seasons because I've never read anything by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale that I didn't enjoy.

#32 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

Death of Superman starts slow but once Superman and Doomsday actually start fighting it's awesome

To tell you the truth, I think the arc after it is better than the death arc itself.  
@danhimself said:

I don't know why anyone is recommending Superman: Godfall...the art was the only thing good about that story...everything else was horrible

I kind of agree. I really didn't like it all that much.  

@RickZeo: I never read "Kryptonite," but Darwyn Cooke is an instant hook for me. What's it about? 

@Zomboid: Mmm, well if dark is what you're looking for, then Superman might not be your best bet in general. Sure, when he's angry, he'll go as dark as you want, but most of the time he's pretty happy, hopeful, and, well, super. Definitely check Red Son, though, because I think that just might be what you're looking for. All-Star, maybe not (it's probably the biggest boy scout Superman story I know), but Morrison's current Action Comics might be more on the track you want.
#33 Posted by Onemoreposter (4058 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel, All Star, Superman for all Seasons, and Red Son are all great picks. It all just depends on what you like but almost all the suggestions so far appeal to a large percentage of Superman fans, but not everything's for everyone. The thing about most of these stories is that they mostly take place in slightly different continuities. Man of Steel, Secret Origin, Birthright, and Superman for All Seasons are all one off from each other, each retelling the origin of Superman. I recommend reading all of these (and Morrison's recent reboot of Action Comics issues 1-8) and you'll definitely find an origin that you relate with. For me it's Byrne's Man of Steel.

Also a great elseworld story (like Red Son, and All Star) is Superman :The Last Son of Earth

In this story Superman actually is Clark Kent, born on a doomed earth and rocketed to Krypton. It takes twists and turns that you don't see coming and even features superman as briefly part of one DC's premier universal peace keeping organizations :) There's a follow up called Superman: Last Stand on Krypton which is almost equally as good if you ask me.

The neatest thing though about these two books is they took the current DCU status quo for Krypton and mixed it around and related it to the Golden age version. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

#34 Posted by FrankenKong (234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Plus one of my personal favorites Superman Annual #11 and was made into a very great and one of a kind episode in all of comic show history in Justice League : Unlimited "For the Man Who Has Everything."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.