Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

A Movie Idea for Fans Only

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

My cousin and I was discussing this last night and I just wanted to share. He suggested the reboot for Superman must be the Golden Age one with the old "S". The one seen on Action Comics #1. I argued it would not work because the non-fans would feel, ironically, that it was a "deviation" from the "traditional" costume and would not get quite an acclaim in the silver screen. He said it was Ok cause Superhero movies must be for real fans instead of "ignorant " viewers that lack depth in critical thinking. I agreed with that but it seems to me that (another irony) non-fans are the driving force of the movie industry today, especially in comicbook adaptations. It's got to be a blockbuster in order to garner support form the producers and allow a sequel.  

Any thoughts?

Here's the image he's talking about anyway.... 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

Not a bad idea.But I agree that non-fans might not like it.

Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)
    @ssejllenrad said:
    Superhero movies must be for real fans instead of "ignorant " viewers that lack depth in critical thinking.
    Kuddos to your cousin. I'm not saying its bad for someone to support a movie when he got less knowledge about the source of it, but its pretty annoying seeing someone deadly supporting it like that. And since we are on the Superman board, I can see that happening alot with Smallville. The art looks supercool of course. I love Francis' artworks.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

hmmmm

Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Mahtu

My thing with comic book based movies is just that, because they focus on the non-fan viewing audience, they dumb the movies down a lot.  They waste too much time introducing the characters and making very few references that are more in-depth than "here is hero.  Here is villain.  Villain do bad thing. Hero beat villain!" I'm exaggerating a bit of course but that's just how it feels when i go to watch a superhero movie. They also sometimes do things that contradict the comics and that's just annoying.... 

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LT1085

I'd go see it if it came out. Golden Age Superman is the only one I remotely like.

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CylonDorado

I think if it was set in the 30's people would think it was cool. I don't know how I feel about calling people "ignorant" about Superheroes. I wouldn't like it if my anime friends put me down for not knowing everything about Fullmetal.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sydpart2

IDK...it seems to me that Superman from the golden age wasn't really a character, just a guy with like every super power. Now that hasn't changed to much imo. But to be fair the writers have made him more 3 dimensional in the last few years. As much as I may enjoy a movie where all we see is Superman do nothing but race trains and destroy giant robots...I prefer character driven movies...and I don't think we'd get that from a Superman movie based solely on the 30's version.

Avatar image for green_lantern_2814_5
    Green Lantern 2814.5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the retro "S" is such a good idea. It's true that most non-comic book fans seeing it will not want the RS (Retro S), but true fans may not want to see the RS either splitting up the difference even more. That only leaves a small majority seeing the movie walking away satisfied and i'm sure the producers don't want that.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Superguy1591

One huge problem with Golden age Superman. Superman is known for flight, Golden age Superman could not.  GA Superman didn't have most of the powers that make him awesome. He was just faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to LEAP tall buildings in a single bound. Where is my heat vision? Ice breathe, light speed and all the things that make him super?  

Current Superman is already sweet, just develop the character better and get a good actor (NOT ROUTH) to play Superman. 

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Superguy1591
    @Sydpart2: They said SUPERMAN FANS only and you came in here and the first thing you did was insult him. If I could curse on the site I would find some good adjectives to describe your mother. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.