Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

75 Years Of Superman!The 40s.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edited By Squalleon

Happy birthday Man Of Steel! It's been 75 years since your comic debut and for that i will try to honor your Iife and times by making a short blog of your history!

Let's start.

Superman was firstly introduced in Action Comics No.1.Superman's place of origin is given as a faraway planet destroyed by natural old age, from which Superman's father(nameless in this time period) sent his infant son to earth in a rocket.A motorist found the baby and hand him over to an orphanage in which Clark grew into a strong young man.Krypton and the Kents were first mentioned in the first issue of Superman's eponymous comic one year later.Also in Superman No.1 we get a brief explanation of his powers attributed in earth's lighter gravity. Superman's powers varied depending on the story and the writer.In the Fleischer cartoons Superman is depicted as "Faster than a speeding bullet,More powerful than a locomotive,Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound".His look was also in a state of flux,artist Wayne Boring would come along afterwards and be the first to depict Superman as a big, brawny Man of Steel.Superman's personality was different from the man we know.Superman was willing to threat,intimidate and even abuse his powers on the ones they deserved it.Clark was not wimpy but a dynamic reporter who started his career in Daily Star before he goes to work for the paper we all know the Daily Planet(probably the most famous fictional newspaper)! At this time Superman's main cast consisted mostly by Clark's associates and parents.Most famous of them Lois Lane! Lois was an unrivaled reporter, a romantic interest of Superman, a close friend and rival of Clark .Unaware that Superman and Clark are the same person Lois found quite weird that the two of them were never in the same room together.Superman's main cast of villains mainly consisted of thugs,wife-beaters,organised crime,the nazis during the WW2 and mad scientists, this was the time period that Superman's nemesis Lex Luthor made his debut!

DID YOU KNOW.........

• Daily Planet's Editor-in-Chief wasn't Perry White but George Taylor.
    • That Fleischer Studio's cartoons introduced some of the most known Superman quotes like
      • "Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!"

• "Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to soar higher than any plane!"

• "Faster than a streak of lightening! More powerful than the pounding surf! Mightier than a roaring hurricane!"
      • ''It's a bird,It's a Plane,It's....Superman!''

• "Up,Up And Away"

Hope you look forward for part 2 :-)

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I also think that DC didn't want to do an animated show when Paramount and Fleischer studios came knocking.

I think DC demanded a whole lotta cash to do the show, which was then granted.

Like I said, I'm not sure, but it was something like that.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Also, a special feature by Look Magazine in Feb. 1940: HOW SUPERMAN WOULD END THE WAR (click to enlarge).

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Two questions I have about Superman:

1. Why doesn't he have a Kansas accent?
    2. Why isn't there a DCnU respect thread?
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Two questions I have about Superman:

1. Why doesn't he have a Kansas accent?
    2. Why isn't there a DCnU respect thread?

1. Because people like to play against type, apparently.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like the early stories where Superman was a master of disguise. One issue Supes found out that a college football game is going to be fixed, so he kidnapps a player and poses as him to prevent the baddies from fixing the game. Another he pretended to be a mine worker so he could trap a crooked mine owner and his drunken friends in his own unsafe mine (he later lets them out)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.