52 Superman now stronger than Pre 52?

• 134 results
#1 Posted by Hendersonfiles (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently now he can bench the Earth for five days, and wasn't even tired, and it's still not the upper limits of his power

Wow...

#2 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong forum. Welcome to Comicvine though! Please read the rules next time before posting.

#3 Posted by Mattersuit (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hendersonfiles: Hardly not tired. Those pauses in his speech could be him panting, as often happens when one is pushing themself too hard.

Him saying "That's...all...you have?" could be arrogance, as many heroes are wont to do.

#4 Posted by Hendersonfiles (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mattersuit said:

@Hendersonfiles: Hardly not tired. Those pauses in his speech could be him panting, as often happens when one is pushing themself too hard.

Him saying "That's...all...you have?" could be arrogance, as many heroes are wont to do.

Good point, still he benched it and he benched it for five days. I think 52 Supes has pretty much surpassed pre 52

#5 Posted by Mattersuit (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hendersonfiles: It's possible. Pre-52 did have the pushing against Warworld feat, I'm not sure if this tops that. Guess it depends on how big Warworld is & its mass.

#6 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. This one feat is pretty impressive, but the sheer quantity of impressive feats from Pre-52 Superman still outweigh anything New 52 Superman has done IMO

#7 Posted by xeon1cs (1479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mattersuit said:

@Hendersonfiles: It's possible. Pre-52 did have the pushing against Warworld feat, I'm not sure if this tops that. Guess it depends on how big Warworld is & its mass.

I believe Warworld was basically Pluto. But I don't believe we know how fast he, or it was traveling.

Strength-wise, this should put New 52 above Pre-Flashpoint Superman. He still has bad durability, and average speed feats.

#8 Posted by Mattersuit (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

@xeon1cs: hmm...Well, anyway, Pre-Flashpoint Supes has far more impressive feats, which is understandable. Let New 52 Supes kick out a few more feats on this level, then I'll reconsider.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19886 posts) - - Show Bio

Given this feat, he has the potential to be stronger than pre Flashpoint Superman but lacks more of these types of feats. Give it several years then I'll reconsider.

#10 Posted by MonsterStomp (17915 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong section. But this is mighty impressive. Proof of stamina, and strength, partially durability? 6 sextillion metric tons, how many bones in the DCnU won't fail under that much pressure?

#11 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an impressive feat BUT it's only one feat.

#12 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hendersonfiles said:

Good point, still he benched it and he benched it for five days. I think 52 Supes has pretty much surpassed pre 52 - post crisis supes

fixed

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Sure, more is always better, but I like this as a start. If Superman is supposed to be the best, it's great that his strength is being clearly and unambiguously shown. I mean...from a preview.

I can't help but say this makes Helspont just look more impressive though lol.

@xeon1cs said:

Strength-wise, this should put New 52 above Pre-Flashpoint Superman. He still has bad durability, and average speed feats.

Him rapidly educating himself so he could do surgery was an average speed feat? And where does bad durability come from? I don't read all the Superman comics so I may have missed something, but while I haven't seen anything spectacular, I also haven't seen anything "bad" on a durability front.

#14 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterStomp said:

Wrong section. But this is mighty impressive. Proof of stamina, and strength, partially durability? 6 sextillion metric tons, how many bones in the DCnU won't fail under that much pressure?

And for 5 days!

#15 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on its for 5 days that's well more impressive then just moving war world

#16 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said: 

Him rapidly educating himself so he could do surgery was an average speed feat? And where does bad durability come from? I don't read all the Superman comics so I may have missed something, but while I haven't seen anything spectacular, I also haven't seen anything "bad" on a durability front.

The first one that came off the top of my head is when Batman was hoped up on a Venom,.Joker mix and hit Superman making him bleed in Batman the Dark Knight. I forget which issue.
#17 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_jackolantern said:

he moved war world,when it was generating enough thrust to move itself at if not lightspeed a very high velocity and in the opposing direction. that was definitely more impressive,plus he was sundipped.....imagine this superman sundipped *shivers*

@Dernman said:

@Buckshot said:

The first one that came off the top of my head is when Batman was hoped up on a Venom,.Joker mix and hit Superman making him bleed in Batman the Dark Knight. I forget which issue.

that was either complete PIS or WIS or batman was just imagining the whole thing.

#18 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio
@UltimateSMfan said: 

that was either complete PIS or WIS or batman was just imagining the whole thing.

I dunno. I just try and ignore it.
#19 Posted by Hendersonfiles (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby said:

It's an impressive feat BUT it's only one feat.

Quality beats quantity

#20 Posted by Z3RO180 (6538 posts) - - Show Bio

@xeon1cs: i beleive the best durability feat of his is surviving the omega beams

#21 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@The_jackolantern said:

he moved war world,when it was generating enough thrust to move itself at if not lightspeed a very high velocity and in the opposing direction. that was definitely more impressive,plus he was sundipped.....imagine this superman sundipped *shivers*

@Dernman said:

@Buckshot said:

that feat was pretty stupid.

#22 Posted by SPM1M (800 posts) - - Show Bio

Would i say this puts him above pre FP supes? idk pre flash point supes had some rather insane strengths like moving the meggadon gears, lifting the book of limbo(infinite weight), slowing the specters fall with wonder woman(weight of eternity i believe), pushing war world although he was sun dipped for fifteen minutes, destroying earth two as a side effect of the strength of his blows. This feat is right out impressive but i dont think he trumps his old self just yet wen it comes in strength although i can see him doing that very shortly as for speed and invulnerability the only speed feat that even competes is him reading every medical text ever published and learning to perform near perfect surgery in FIVE minutes which is IMO his best feat so far but still not as fast as pre FP supes who could have conversations with the flash while the world basically stood still. As for new 52 sups invulnerability its actually far below pre FP supes i mean pre FP has survived planetary explosions, explosions with the power of one million nuclear blasts, planetary collisions, even being hit with a SUPERNOVA 0_o . New 52 supes has been knocked out one too many times to even compete with his former self in this category

#23 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

at least New 52 superman was stronger than Pre-52 superman pre52 superman just can move 1/3 of the earth,new 52 superman can easily lift earth weight

#24 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Most importantly how does this translate into a battle showing in canon

because it would suck that he can do this but cannot beat up a grundy/doomsday/bizarro type character

#25 Posted by stephens2177 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

not really,either make the bad guys stronger themselves in the nudcu,or have them trade punches with superman because he is holding back,which is his greatest power,but also his greatest weakness.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an incredibly impressive feat, but one feat alone can't replace thirty years worth of feats.

#27 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

one feat so what?what wrong with you? SA superman just once move many planets with together,just once sneeze out solar system,he never again do once,so what? i belive New 52 superman this feat,he was stronger than Pre52 superman,because pre 52 superman just can't lift earth weight

#28 Posted by Teerack (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

Making superman stronger is the opposite of making him more interesting.

#29 Posted by TDK_1997 (14892 posts) - - Show Bio

This is his only feat that shows that he is now stronger.If we see some more feats like this one than we can consider this right.

#30 Posted by Angelique LeBeau (639 posts) - - Show Bio

This is badass.

#31 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Not really, but inconsistent showings do

If he can life earth then keep him that strong

#32 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

*lift

#33 Edited by ComicMan24 (147091 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it did strain him. It was mentioned in the next panels. But anyway it is an impressive feat indeed. We will just have to wait and see if any more feats like this happen in the future.

#34 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

one feat enough prove it but if has more feats was better just it you can't see"just because one feat so we are Ignore it!" wrong

#35 Posted by Teerack (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

@Teerack said:T

Not really, but inconsistent showings do

If he can life earth then keep him that strong

Superman is already so strong there almost never feels like any sense of threat in any story other then when someone else might get hurt. You can't have a compelling story if the reader doesn't feel any real sense of danger.

#36 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack:

Superman is already so strong there almost never feels like any sense of threat in any story other then when someone else might get hurt. You can't have a compelling story if the reader doesn't feel any real sense of danger.

doomsday, amazo, zod, mongul and non jobber darkseid (writers fault on that part). He is not the strongest though, but the writers have to get creative with the villains and make them stay that way in crossovers.

#37 Posted by Teerack (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: Yeah but he doesn't fight those people 100% of the time, and I'm not saying he's the strongest. With his current level of strength making him stronger only makes him less interesting.

#38 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@xeon1cs: i beleive the best durability feat of his is surviving the omega beams

Omega beams that are currently featless. Nyahahaha!

#39 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

@Rumble Man: Yeah but he doesn't fight those people 100% of the time, and I'm not saying he's the strongest. With his current level of strength making him stronger only makes him less interesting.

His strength also boosts those that have pimpsmacked him all around (helspont)

#40 Posted by Funcake (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

@Teerack:

doomsday, amazo, zod, mongul and non jobber darkseid (writers fault on that part). He is not the strongest though, but the writers have to get creative with the villains and make them stay that way in crossovers.

This!!! I personaly would like to see him in more earth unbound storys.

@Teerack said:

With his current level of strength making him stronger only makes him less interesting.

Nope! Wrong writers makes him less interesting. The power lever shows only his ranking and the ranking of his Villian Gallery thats belongs to him.

#41 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit strange that he was doing this for five days? Do they mean that for approximately 120 hours he was in that same position lifting the equivalent of the Earth's weight? Doesn't he have important stuff to do, like going to work as Clark Kent and doing hero-work as Superman?

#42 Posted by Funcake (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92: As an employee you have some days of vacation a year and the hero job got cancelled by an plot device.

#43 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funcake: Ah, good cover. lol

#44 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

for me this comment is both right and wrong.

making supes this stong is pretty cool and can lead to more epic scale fights and superman actually feeling like superman again.but, this also limits the amount of villians that can actually pose a threat to him and might lead to some conflicting writing

#45 Edited by Superlad93 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: But then it also forces the writers to have to actually find more interesting and challenging was to test Superman that my even make his powers moot. Just look at Action comics 13 where Superman is trapped in a zone where nothing he physically does matters or has any impact at all. If you look back at the story I wager that you couldn't tell how powerful Superman actually was because I know I couldn't......and I love that. He could have been as strong as he was in Action comics 1 or he could have been as strong as we see him in the preview of Superman 13 but no matter what in the end it didn't matter because it came down to the only thing that matters about Superman: his will and his never say die attitude.

So no I have to disagree with Teerack when he says that making stronger makes him less interesting. I feel it doesn't matter so long as you have the imagination and understanding to know that, that's not the only thing he's about.

#46 Posted by Teerack (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funcake: Why do you think writers have such a hard time making him interesting? Because it's definitely not because he isn't strong enough.

#47 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

SA as ridicules as it was....It actually forced the writers to be creative.

#48 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

Quality beats quantity

#49 Posted by Funcake (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: Because some of them like John Byrne for example went an easy way in the past and depower Supes to the ground to have an easy time to create exiting storys for him "because a missile could hurt him" or something like that..Acting like this has nothing to do with be ceraitive in my opinion. If you wanna/like read some streetlevler storys youre wrong with a Superman book I think.

#50 Edited by Teerack (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funcake: Lol there is such a big gap between street level fighting and a slightly weaker superman. There's not even a point to be made there.

But ya I suppose you could look at making superman weaker as uncreative, but you'd also have to acknowledge making him stronger isn't any more creative. But saying you actually don't think Superman gets less interesting when he gets stronger only really tells me you're going to love superman no matter what. Even when it's gotten to the point where the majority superman stories play out as 1) super villain beats superman up 2) superman comes back and remembers he's super man and then beats them up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.