etragedy's Superman: Birthright #1 - In the Beginning... review

Birthright in Some Ways, Birthwrong in Others

COMIC VINE'S TOP 100 SUPERMAN STORIES reviewed!

#9: 'Birthright'

So here we go with yet another Superman origin story. Or at least the first half of the comic is a Superman origin story; beginning on Krypton just before its destruction, Jor-El and Lara make the fateful decision to put baby Kal-El in a rocket and send it to Earth. The second half of the comic is about Clark Kent freelancing in some African country and interviewing a rebel leader. In some ways this second half is more interesting given that everything in the first half is stuff we've seen before.

One thing that kind of irks me with this comic is that it depicts 'Superbaby' picking up a tractor, and other feats of a young Clark Kent. I really prefer to follow the other school-of-thought - that Superman's powers didn't fully manifest until later in life. Ah, well, at least it's all on one page and no time is wasted on the antics of Superboy.

A bigger problem, though, is the art. I really do not like most of the Yu / Alanguilan artwork in this issue. Leinil Francis Yu seems to depict everyone with long extended necks (note the image of Clark on the cover) and other distorted features. It's enough to make me want to grab the kid and give him an anatomy lesson.

I do, however, like the art in the scenes on Krypton. Yu's version of Krypton shows a definite Moebius influence, and looks distinctly alien.

If the first issue is anything to go on, though, Superman: Birthright is just another unnecessary origin retread.

Other reviews for Superman: Birthright #1 - In the Beginning...

Interesting take 0

I thoroughly enjoyed Birthright, not just because of the great art or the relatable storyline (a young adult finding out who they really are). No, the part I enjoyed the most was the alien heritage of Kal-El emphasised in such a way that it didn't make him seem more alien, in fact to me it made him seem more the embodiment of the human spirit.  Let me explain. On page 37 of the TPB (Could be issue 2 of the series, I'm not sure) Clark writes in an email to Ma Kent that he sees living things as ha...