Would you consider Batman and Superman "best friends"?

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by PlaystationFanboy (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes? No? Why or why not? Discuss.

#2 Posted by BlackArmor (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Supes best friend is Jimmy Olsen. and Batman's best friend is Siggy the Bat signal, with Alfred and Dick being close seconds

#3 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

No, Supes best friend is Jimmy Olsen. and Batman's best friend is Siggy the Bat signal, with Alfred and Dick being close seconds

This

#4 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

They were close but best friends? Don't think so.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they are, just not in the traditional sense. It's not like they're going to have a bros night and watch Die Hard together, but they would break apart the world if the other was in danger.  
 
Bruce doesn't really have a best friend, maybe Zatanna, and Clark's is definitely Jimmy. 

#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that both Clark and Bruce consider each other "brothers".

Moderator
#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It's not like they're going to have a bros night and watch Die Hard together.

.............I would pay any amount of money to read that

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

They are like a hetero married couple

#9 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Friends no, Bruce has Dick and Alfred, Clark has Jimmy and Krypto ( at least pre new 52). But I would say they are close friends whose friendship is based on huge amounts of respect for eachother and the fact that they balance eachother out. Clark is always there when Bruce needs him and vice versa.

#10 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

They are friends, close but not the best

@BlackArmor said:

No, Supes best friend is Jimmy Olsen. and Batman's best friend is Siggy the Bat signal, with Alfred and Dick being close seconds

Yay Siggy!I I bet he's the best friend of Gordon too :D. I think Alfred is more a father to him and Dick is more a son,

#11 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10899 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce's best friend's are Aflred, who is a father figure as well, and Dick, who is his son but fills more of a brother / love-hate best friend.

Clark's best friend's are Jimmy and Lois.

Slap on the Cape and Cowl and you have Batman and Superman who consider each other to be more like brothers (stated in Batman/Superman comics) because they're far too different to be considered best friends.

#12 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Bruce's best friend's are Aflred, who is a father figure as well, and Dick, who is his son but fills more of a brother / love-hate best friend.

Clark's best friend's are Jimmy and Lois.

Slap on the Cape and Cowl and you have Batman and Superman who consider each other to be more like brothers (stated in Batman/Superman comics) because they're far too different to be considered best friends.

I think i agree with this

#13 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12395 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#14 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course they are.

#15 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

NOPE

They fight each other way too often, they are just comrades, or just friends, but Best Friends?

#16 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

No, although I would pay so much money to have Superman refer to Batman as his "bestie" and get a bat-glare like no other.

#17 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not know if I would call them Best Friends but they are close.

#18 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

I was think about this some times. I wonder too. I would have to say Clark thinks so but Bruce doesn't really have friends.

#19 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Why? They are not 6 years old

#20 Posted by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio

yes,they are

#21 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I think they are, just not in the traditional sense. It's not like they're going to have a bros night and watch Die Hard together, but they would break apart the world if the other was in danger. Bruce doesn't really have a best friend, maybe Zatanna, and Clark's is definitely Jimmy.

Beating up villains is Batman's version of a night watching Die Hard.

Superman is one of the few characters I'd say is "friends" with Batman. But I agree they're probably not best pals.

#22 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

I think of them more as friendly rivals.

#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

I think of them more as friendly rivals.

I don't see the rivalry. Well at least Pre-Flashpoint there certainly wasn't one.

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Sort of.

#25 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

I think of them more as friendly rivals.

I don't see the rivalry. Well at least Pre-Flashpoint there certainly wasn't one.

Eh, maybe not then. I'm mainly thinking of the Dark Knight Returns.

#26 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

I think of them more as friendly rivals.

I don't see the rivalry. Well at least Pre-Flashpoint there certainly wasn't one.

Eh, maybe not then. I'm mainly thinking of the Dark Knight Returns.

While DKR is good, it really is a bad example of the Superman/Batman relationship. I remember Miller bragging about breaking the duo because he said they didn't fit together but really it makes no sense when compared to actual continuity.

Supes and Bats actually tend to sort of get along for the most part with Supes being very friendly to Batman and Batman greatly respecting Supes.

Then again I'm going off their interactions in Morrison's JLA and Hush.

#27 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

I think of them more as friendly rivals.

I don't see the rivalry. Well at least Pre-Flashpoint there certainly wasn't one.

Eh, maybe not then. I'm mainly thinking of the Dark Knight Returns.

While DKR is good, it really is a bad example of the Superman/Batman relationship. I remember Miller bragging about breaking the duo because he said they didn't fit together but really it makes no sense when compared to actual continuity.

Supes and Bats actually tend to sort of get along for the most part with Supes being very friendly to Batman and Batman greatly respecting Supes.

Then again I'm going off their interactions in Morrison's JLA and Hush.

I'm a Morrison fan but I'm yet to read his JLA(how is it?) since I haven't finished the '06 series of Justice League of America yet.

Gotcha, so no yin-yang one-up-manship?

I have all three Showcase Presents: Batman Brave and the Bold team ups but have yet to crack them open, I'm hoping for a classic Supes/Bats tale.

#28 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom: The run is pretty great with some great moments for several characters, Supes and Bats aren't the focus, but their friendship gets a pretty awesome moment in WW3 IMO.

Sort of, it's more of like Batman/Nightwing, with Bats being brooding and quiet while Supes is more fun and willing to crack jokes.

Superman/Batman was kind of stupid as far as continuity goes but Bats and Supes had good chemistry in that so it's a least a fun read from that standpoint.

#29 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

Close to it. I would agree that they're closer to brothers. Differ greatly, fight often, full respect or even love for each other.
 
I have to admit that the end of the "Public Enemies" movie was awesome though.
 
"That was my best friend...and you just killed him." Epic.

#30 Posted by nickthedevil (11392 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I think that both Clark and Bruce consider each other "brothers".

Yes they do. Batman even said in one instance that Superman is in a way the only family he's had outside of his Robins and Alfred.

#31 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

I would dispute that they have a mutual respect for one another. There are the perfect contrast to each other, and both characters have come to realize that it would be unfathomably difficult to continue their heroics without the other one's support.

#32 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

A possible perspective.

@Illuminatus said:

I would dispute that they have a mutual respect for one another. There are the perfect contrast to each other, and both characters have come to realize that it would be unfathomably difficult to continue their heroics without the other one's support.

It goes beyond just respect.

#33 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

A possible perspective.

@Illuminatus said:

I would dispute that they have a mutual respect for one another. There are the perfect contrast to each other, and both characters have come to realize that it would be unfathomably difficult to continue their heroics without the other one's support.

It goes beyond just respect.

Pray tell?

#34 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: I think that they may be best friends, though not in the same way that Batman is with Alfred or Gordob, who both have been mentioned as his dearest friends. I think that his relationships with Robins is more brotherly, or at least with Grayson.

#35 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: There is certainly a sense of camaraderie between the two of them, after all the situations they've faced together. However, Bruce and Clark have never been portrayed as exceptional friends when not fighting alongside one another. In my humble opinion, it's always been just a formality to have them speak a few words to each other and wait until a threat emerges that requires their teamwork.

#36 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: In post-IC JLA they were quite friendly with each other. I'd have to all around disagree.

#37 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

#38 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

Obviously not, that would compromise their Secret Identity. But since both of the characters are Batman and Superman [Bruce Wayne is just a façade], they instead hang out when they're in Spandex.

#39 Edited by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

Obviously not, that would compromise their Secret Identity. But since both of the characters are Batman and Superman [Bruce Wayne is just a façade], they instead hang out when they're in Spandex.

I'll reiterate: Would their relationship be deemed "friendly" when wearing the spandex but not fighting some ridiculous threat? I've always felt that Bruce had a closer bond to the Bat-family and Clark had closer ones with Diana, Jimmy, and Lois.

#40 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

Obviously not, that would compromise their Secret Identity. But since both of the characters are Batman and Superman [Bruce Wayne is just a façade], they instead hang out when they're in Spandex.

I'll reiterate: Would their relationship be deemed "friendly" when wearing the spandex but not fighting some ridiculous threat? I've always felt that Bruce had a closer bond to the Bat-family and Clark had closer ones with Diana, Jimmy, and Lois.

I would, yes. Bruce is always close with the Bat-Family, but him and Clark are also quite close.

#41 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

Obviously not, that would compromise their Secret Identity. But since both of the characters are Batman and Superman [Bruce Wayne is just a façade], they instead hang out when they're in Spandex.

I'll reiterate: Would their relationship be deemed "friendly" when wearing the spandex but not fighting some ridiculous threat? I've always felt that Bruce had a closer bond to the Bat-family and Clark had closer ones with Diana, Jimmy, and Lois.

I would, yes. Bruce is always close with the Bat-Family, but him and Clark are also quite close.

Interesting viewpoint. What I said still stands though. Prior to Flashpoint, both characters grew to respect each other for both their strengths and weaknesses.

#42 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp said:

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp: Friendly with each other when not wearing the spandex?

Obviously not, that would compromise their Secret Identity. But since both of the characters are Batman and Superman [Bruce Wayne is just a façade], they instead hang out when they're in Spandex.

I'll reiterate: Would their relationship be deemed "friendly" when wearing the spandex but not fighting some ridiculous threat? I've always felt that Bruce had a closer bond to the Bat-family and Clark had closer ones with Diana, Jimmy, and Lois.

I would, yes. Bruce is always close with the Bat-Family, but him and Clark are also quite close.

Interesting viewpoint. What I said still stands though. Prior to Flashpoint, both characters grew to respect each other for both their strengths and weaknesses.

True.

#43 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickthedevil said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I think that both Clark and Bruce consider each other "brothers".

Yes they do. Batman even said in one instance that Superman is in a way the only family he's had outside of his Robins and Alfred.

Indeed, and it definitely fits the bill.

Moderator
#45 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Bruce's best friend's are Aflred, who is a father figure as well, and Dick, who is his son but fills more of a brother / love-hate best friend.

Clark's best friend's are Jimmy and Lois.

Slap on the Cape and Cowl and you have Batman and Superman who consider each other to be more like brothers (stated in Batman/Superman comics) because they're far too different to be considered best friends.

#46 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Slap on the Cape and Cowl and you have Batman and Superman who consider each other to be more like brothers (stated in Batman/Superman comics) because they're far too different to be considered best friends.

this!

#47 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes thinks so, at least (2:46):

But yeah, I think it's fitting to call them brothers. You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your brothers. They're too different to have a casual buddy relationship, but they trust and respect each other more than any other and know that they balance out each other both in good and bad.

#48 Posted by yukibo (1 posts) - - Show Bio

they are best friends forever

___________

[url=http://www.collection4u.com/Batman-The-Complete-Collection-Animated-Series-DVD-Box-Set-105.html]batman dvd box set[/url]
#49 Posted by consolemaster001 (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

@PlaystationFanboy: Yes.

#50 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5738 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes they are

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.