Superman/Batman: Public Enemies On DVD 9/29/09

Posted by G-Man (29395 posts) - - Show Bio

We've heard some buzzing about this animated feature for a little while.  Now it has been given an official release date.  On September 29, 2009, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies will be coming to a DVD player near you.  This is the next DC Universe Animated Original and it will have a PG-13 rating.  It will be available on a 2-disc DVD version, Blu-ray as well as a single disc DVD.  The movie will also be available through OnDemand and Pay-Per-View.

Based on the Jeph Loeb/Ed McGuinness story, Superman and Batman have become America's most wanted criminals and are being hunted by both friends and enemies.  Lex Luthor is President of the United States.  He uses the oncoming trajectory of a Kryptonite asteroid to frame Superman and places a $1 billion dollar bounty on his head, along with his "partner in crime," Batman .

Bruce Timm returns as executive producer.  Michael Goguen ( Justice League: The New Frontier ) is supervising producer. Sam Liu ( The Batman ) is directing a script written by Stan Berkowitz ( Justice League: The New Frontier ).  The movie will also reunite the voices of Superman, Batman and Lex from Superman: The Animated Series and Batman: The Animated Series .  In other words, Tim Daly is Superman, Kevin Conroy is Batman and Clancy Brown is Lex Luthor.

The 2-disc DVD will have over 3 hours of special features including a couple featurettes.  The Blackest Night feature gives behind-the-scenes of BLACKEST NIGHT, the epic DC Super Hero event in which the dead shall rise.  A Test Of Minds has Jeph Loeb giving his view on the two heroes.  Dinner with DC: With Special Guest Kevin Conroy has the actor sitting down with the creative team behind the movie.  There will also be a sneak at the next DC Animated feature and two episodes of Justice League Unlimited chosen by Bruce Timm.

What are your thoughts on this release?  Are you going to mark the date on your calendar?  Is a movie adaption on this story something that you want to see?  What guest appearances in the hunt for Superman and Batman would you like to see?

Staff
#1 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

advertising the Blackest Night Comic? Well done DC, well done. They are finally getting the concept of marketing. I really hope they do Supergirl next, not just because I'm a fan but because its a welcome tribute to Michael turner, not to mention the best Superman/Batman story by far. If I continue getting these dvds I'll have an entire collection of justice league unlimited. Which is a good thing.

#2 Posted by logan48227 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I will be purchasing the 2-disc DVD for sure!

I'd love to see the Captain Marvel/Hawkman vs. Superman/Batman tag team fight from the comic.

#3 Posted by Alpha (7311 posts) - - Show Bio
@logan48227 said:
"Yes! I will be purchasing the 2-disc DVD for sure!I'd love to see the Captain Marvel/Hawkman vs. Superman/Batman tag team fight from the comic. "

That sounds great!
#4 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds pretty cool, may have to check it out

#5 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Once I read the voice list, I was happy.

#6 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio

While Marvel movies are better most of the time (Batman Begins and TDK were so much better, but all of the other DC movies aren't nearly as good), DC has Marvel beat when it comes to animation. I mean, I saw New Frontier before I read it, and the movie is almost a carbon copy. And it's just as good too. Despite my greivances with Jeph Loeb, I will be sure to watch this movie, and I might even buy the DVD for the special features, which are always good for the DC Animated movies.

#7 Edited by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, they know how to make animated movies right!!!

They can't do no wrong, kinda like Pixar

#8 Posted by The Clock King (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Throughout the last two years, I've been extremely impressed with the sheer quality that both Marvel and DC have shown in their Direct-to-DVD animated releases. As a comics fan who usually leans toward DC, I watched the Hulk Vs. film with a slight, "Can they really pull this off?" attitude. They did, they had before ( I went back and watched the Doc Strange movie), and I'm sure they will again with Thor: Son of Asgard and Planet Hulk. I'm glad to see that they are using animation not to gear towards the childrens market, but to comics fans in general.

#9 Posted by shellbell60613 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it September yet?

#10 Posted by skillin villin (88 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet can't wait

#11 Posted by bloodshed (30 posts) - - Show Bio

batman and superman look pretty good judging from the artwork shown.
if i have the extra cash i'd like to get this because superman/doomsday wasn't half bad.

#12 Posted by DragonRex1 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Tim Daly! I always felt his voice was much better than George Newbern's voice in Justice League Unlimited.

#13 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Conroy will always be Batman for me, as much as i like Diedrich Bader on Brave and the Bold, Conroy just is Batman, more stuff with the better, also glad Tim Daly is back as Superman(Brainiac Attacks doesn't count)

#14 Posted by dondasch (925 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for 9/29/09 to get here soon enough.  It's always interesting when Batman and Superman have "team ups" in episodes and I can't expect it will be any different with this movie.  I would love to see what dynamic Wonder Woman will play here.  During the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited DVDs there was a recurring theme throughout the movies of the relationship (hinted or otherwise) between Batman and Wonder Woman.  Usually, in at least the comic realm, it's more Superman/Wonder Woman, so I really want to see how team Timm is going to handle this, if it even comes up at all.  Imagine Wonder Woman hunting Batman and Superman.  Epic conflict for someone of her moral standing.

#15 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Kevin Conroy will always be Batman for me, as much as i like Diedrich Bader on Brave and the Bold, Conroy just is Batman, more stuff with the better, also glad Tim Daly is back as Superman(Brainiac Attacks doesn't count) "
I'm not up on voice actors, but is this the same Tim Daly who was on the Wings television show? I can't remember exactly what his voice sounded like, but for some reason I'm thinking that it was moderately high-pitched.
#16 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr:
yes he was on wings
#17 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @Roxanne Starr: yes he was on wings "
O.K. Thanks! Also thanks for being the guinea pig in my experiment to make sure I was doing this Digg thing correctly. ;)
#18 Posted by Prizm (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy back as Batman, Daly is Superman and Brown is back as Lex Luthor. Hazah are in order!!!

#19 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I wonder how Batman and Superman are going to get out of this problem.Anyways I'm going to get it on Blu Ray when it comes out.

#20 Posted by celestialheroin (349 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait for this plus all the original voices just awsome

#21 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just glad they finally gave the animated superman eyeballs this time around, and the article had been dugg

#22 Posted by aouric (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies will be worth the wait! Plus it's a nice way to follow up after the Green Lantern DVD release.

#23 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Pat Warburton should play everyone.

#24 Posted by NightFang (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait.

#25 Posted by Pheeke (198 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i love that movie! i love the animated batman stuff!

#26 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

OH HAPPY DAYS!!!

#27 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy the Superman / Batman Comic Book and the trailer seamed to me that they are actually following a comic plot that I liked to read.

#28 Posted by Sleuth (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

I love these DC animated movies and it's always a treat to here the voices from the DCAU. I'll be picking this up.

#29 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

this sounds very good

#30 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool and awesome way understates my joy in reading this article.

#31 Posted by gandalf3219 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I will want to see this!

#32 Posted by Darkchild (40542 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we know who the voices for Supes an Bats are?

#33 Posted by ritchman678 (48 posts) - - Show Bio
@Anderson: Agent of SMITH: i thot the marvel movies where cool
#34 Edited by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio
@ritchman678: They're good too, but I think more of DC's are better.
#35 Posted by SUNMAN (6902 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw the trailer for this. It looks really good!!!

#36 Posted by DevilMan09 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason, I have a feeling they might have a sequal

#37 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
" I just saw the trailer for this. It looks really good!!!

"
So it's more than just superman and batman that will be making cameos..Never thought I'd see major force in an animated film
#38 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkchild said:
"Do we know who the voices for Supes an Bats are?"

the voices from the animated series....I forget the name of the guy who voices Superman but Kevin Conroy is doing Batman
#39 Posted by SUNMAN (6902 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Darkchild said:
the voices from the animated series....I forget the name of the guy who voices Superman but Kevin Conroy is doing Batman "
Tim Daly will voice Superman
#40 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN said:
"@danhimself said:
" @Darkchild said:
the voices from the animated series....I forget the name of the guy who voices Superman but Kevin Conroy is doing Batman "
Tim Daly will voice Superman
"

that's it!!!!  thanks I couldn't remember his name
#41 Posted by glrayner85 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so glad to hear the original and best voice actors of the characters are back. i hated the recast they have done for lex, superman and batman, I mean comon kevin conroy is the voice of batman!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.