Follow

Superman/Batman

Team » Superman/Batman appears in 1080 issues.

Superman and Batman, the two most recognizable characters in comic books, frequently team up to tackle threats that neither of them can handle on their own, each bringing their own special talents to the fore.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies Blu-ray REVIEWED

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Superman/Batman Public Enemies will be available on Tuesday, September 29, 2009.  We've been hearing a bit about this movie for some time.  Back at the San Diego Comic-Con I interviewed Kevin Conroy and Clancy Brown (among others) about this movie.  As exciting as it all sounded, I have to admit I was a tiny bit apprehensive.  The fact that Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Clancy Brown, Bruce Timm and Andrea Romano were all attached should've been reason enough to have faith in this movie but if you think about it, it's an ambitious story to adapt.   

The original story by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness was a big story that spanned six issues.  This movie is barely over an hour.  If you've read the original story, you know what this is about.  Lex Luthor is President of the United States.  When a Kryptonite meteor is headed towards Earth, he uses this to place a $1 billion bounty on Superman's head along with his "partner in crime," Batman.  What results is an army of heroes and villains gunning for the the two.  I was simply worried that parts and characters would get cut out.

No Caption Provided
    The good news is the story pretty much remains intact.  You may have seen the clip with Metallo and Superman duking it out.  You may recall from the comic that Metallo ends up shooting Superman with a Kryptonite bullet.  I was glad that part was included in the movie.  It's also pretty cool seeing all the villains banding together to try to apprehend Superman and Batman.  Superman may be impressive with his sheer strength but the real show is watching Batman in action.  They really manage to capture how much of a badass he can be.  

There's also the little 'reunion' we have.  It was nice having Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, and Clancy Brown together again as Batman, Superman and Lex Luthor.  I've already announced that in the next animated movie, Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths, we'll have different voice actors in those roles.  I know some might be a little bummed but it's nice to see other interpretations of the characters.  What matters is we have Conroy, Daly and Brown here.  That being said, it's still a little weird hearing Conroy's Batman when the art style is different than the "Animated Series" style.

No Caption Provided
    Speaking of animation style, while it's an interesting approach, this is probably movie's only slight downfall.  We seem to get a lot of detail in the background but sometimes it felt like there wasn't a lot in the characters faces, especially Superman's.  In the beginning I felt the colors were too bright but then later I started really liking them.  Either I got used to it or a happy medium was found.  The fact that I watched this on Blu-ray (and an HD-TV) only emphasized the brilliance of the color and animation.  I couldn't imagine trying to watch it otherwise.  But maybe I'm just picky about that.  The movie does shine on Blu-ray.  In this age of high definition, the studios are really kept on their toes to put out a superb product.  DC and Warner Home Video is definitely staying on target here.

No Caption Provided

Special Features

There is quite a bit here to take in and enjoy. This adds to the overall package and partially makes up for the shorter running time of the movie.

A Test Of Minds: The Psychology Of Superman And Batman (19:01)
    We get a lot of 'professional' insight on the two characters and what motivates them.  Jeph Loeb talks a bit about the relationship between the two.  We also hear from Alan Burnett, Paul Levitz, Danny Figeroth, Dan DiDio and even a professional psychiatrist.  

No Caption Provided
    Dinner With DCU And Special Guest Kevin Conroy (55:59)Extended Version
    The dinner party we'd all love to sit in on.  Along with Kevin Conroy we have Andrea Romano, Gregory Noveck and Bruce Timm.  They sit around and talk about it all, starting with Batman: The Animated Series.  

Crisis On Two Earths (11:12)
    A little peak at DC's next animated feature.  We get to see little bits about the history of the story as well as insight from the actors involved.

Blackest Night: Inside The DC Comics Event (8:52)
    Behind the scenes on the current major comics story arc in the DC Universe.

No Caption Provided
    Bonus Episodes
    Six episodes chosen by Bruce Timm.  Included is a four episode arc from Justice League Unlimited and two from Superman: The Animated Series.  The episodes are:
    • Question Authority
    • Flashpoint
    • Panic In The Sky
    • Divided We Fall
    • The Demon Reborn
    • Knight Time

Previews

Trailers for other DC Animated features.
    • Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess
    • Batman Gotham Knight
    • Justice League: The New Frontier
    • Green Lantern: First Flight

All in all, this is a great disc.  Should you buy this on Tuesday, September 29?  Of course.  If you have any interest in the DC Universe and/or in Superman or Batman, you'll want this in your home library.  The quality and sound of the Blu-ray are spectacular.  My only gripes are the short running time and some of the (personal) annoyances in the animation.  The movie itself would get a very solid 4 out of 5.  It's a nice story and well executed but not nearly as perfect as some of the other DC features.  You will definitely be entertained.  Throw in the special features and you more than get your money's worth.  It's nice that DC will adapt actual comic book story arcs as well as adapting 'new' stories.  Look for this movie in stores on Tuesday (unless you prefer OnDemand or Pay-Per-View).  

As an extra bonus, here's another clip courtesy of Warner Home Video:

Avatar image for legend_of_zelda
    Legend of Zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Legend of Zelda

sweet!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'm so gettin this.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Gambler said:
    " I'm so gettin this. "
    I wonder why?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Sweet only have to wait a couple more days

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @G-Man said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " I'm so gettin this. "
    I wonder why?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "

Even if she gets jobbed again. At least she's in it :)
     Even if she gets jobbed again. At least she's in it :)
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nahero

thank you god for this awesome scene

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Conroy is the greatest Batman ever.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HumanityPlague

Some points of discussion:

1.  Superman has a hell of a lot more emotion in his face in this movie, than in the Sueprman TAS a few years ao.  Like, he has color in his eyes now.  That's kind of nice.  As opposed to beady-eye Superman.  Also he has muscle definition now.
    2.  Anyone else find it weird when Batman is all bloody after Lex is beating the s*** out of him at Toyman's lair, that he runs into the rocket without a scratch on him?  (this happens around 55:45)
    3.  Why cast someone like John C. McGinley as Metallo, when he has all of 4 lines to speak?
    4.  Is Captain Atom always a douche?  I've never read anything with him, but is he always a government lackey?
    5.  How exactly were Captain Marvel and Hawkman taken out?
    6.  Was I the only one SUPER creeped out by Lex lusting over Amanda Waller? 
    7.  All the Toyman/Power Girl stuff was pretty good.

There's a whole host of other topics to discuss, but here are just a few I thought of.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Awesome

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FLStyle
    @G-Man said:

"
    That being said, it's still a little weird hearing Conroy's Batman when the art style is different than the "Animated Series" style. "

Hmmm I got that effect more with Batman: Gotham Knight than this, but that was done by Japanese artists that time around if I remember correctly.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ComicCrazy

Does anyone know when this dvd is released in Australia ?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @HumanityPlague: Not sure if its really cool or even a good idea to discuss the movie at this point. Seeing as how its not yet been officially released. Don't wanna promote pirating.
    Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm going to get this movie when I get a change.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Strafe Prower

I think i'm going to get it as well.
    fedykin87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fedykin87

I felt cheated that Superboy was taken out of it I would have liked to see him animated and they whole bats fam sneaking in the white house they the supes one flies through the front door.

Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Xion

I cant wait for this movie! Now i need to save up to buy it lol

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HumanityPlague
    @Gambler: Pirate what?  I've had the movie for a week.  My local Walmart put it out and didn't care.  Just like with everything else in life.  That's why I studied it some.
    EvLJEsT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvLJEsT
    @HumanityPlague said:
    " Some points of discussion:  1.  Superman has a hell of a lot more emotion in his face in this movie, than in the Sueprman TAS a few years ao.  Like, he has color in his eyes now.  That's kind of nice.  As opposed to beady-eye Superman.  Also he has muscle definition now.2.  Anyone else find it weird when Batman is all bloody after Lex is beating the s*** out of him at Toyman's lair, that he runs into the rocket without a scratch on him?  (this happens around 55:45)3.  Why cast someone like John C. McGinley as Metallo, when he has all of 4 lines to speak? 4.  Is Captain Atom always a douche?  I've never read anything with him, but is he always a government lackey? 5.  How exactly were Captain Marvel and Hawkman taken out? 6.  Was I the only one SUPER creeped out by Lex lusting over Amanda Waller?  7.  All the Toyman/Power Girl stuff was pretty good.  There's a whole host of other topics to discuss, but here are just a few I thought of. "
    HA HA, it was great, YEs by god it was creepy seeing Lex get or at least try to get his freak on with Waller, lol all i thought is that "Lex has a little chubby chaser in him", but by far it was a great movie could have been longer but eh im not complaining. Loved the srt doen in this movie more Human like.
    Oh yea BTW i didnt pirate this movie lol, one of the perks of working at a movie store getting to the the good stuff ahead of time ;-D

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gregomasta

Grew up on Fox Kids and Batman:The animated Series, so Kevin Conroy IS and forever shall be Batman's voice for me.  Looking forward to watching this.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce Vain

Annnd that's WHY they're the World's Finest baby :)
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwh

Felt a little truncated, admittedly. Like, they open things up then just forget about it. Really, Superman takes out Mongul and then relinquishes his mind control, then, what? Everyone goes home? Also, too much Power Girl looking dumb as hell.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lordraiden
    @ComicCrazy said:
    "Does anyone know when this dvd is released in Australia ? "

Just watched it after borrowing it off a friend who bought an import at a specialty shopt (perth, WA) and yeah, it was good, more or less just like the six issue arc with only a few minor alterations. i'd give it a 7.5/10.
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rouju

I admit I already watch the piracy version of this, I'm kinda ashamed of it but really can't help it (but still I'm gonna buy the original version once it available).  

Sum it up, I gave the comic 8 out of 10 and the animated 7.5 out of 10.  Why? Cuz the comic is sooooo much more interesting cuz the inner monologue between Supes and Bats think about each other (which the animated lack of).

Honestly the storyline is better in the animated story (how Lex became president is strangely very similar in what happen in America nowdays), and Metallo role is really fits in (unlike the comic which I wonder is he really necessary?).

PS : The fighting scene is grander in the comic and Bats fight is better in the comic also

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @HumanityPlague said:
    " @Gambler: Pirate what?  I've had the movie for a week.  My local Walmart put it out and didn't care.  Just like with everything else in life.  That's why I studied it some. "
    Sure buddy :)
    dc-kid21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dc-kid21

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emerald Warrior

IMHO this is without a doubt THE BEST DCU animated movie EVER! Like said in the article, watching batman's traits shown off in the movie is part of what makes this flick priceless... how he's "always right" about his hunches, how he's savvy clashes with superman's naiveness due to him always expecting the best in people, and the awesomeness of watching him throw batarangs, explosives and an entire arsenal, as well as fighting techniques to take out heroes and villains alike!

again this is a must have for any superman/batman fan...and to me, the plot in this movie was far better than the poorly written Loeb/Mcguiness six issue arc! GET THIS MOVIE...,IT'S JUST TOO DAMN AWESOME!!!

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dipic

Meh, I thought the comic was a considerably better. In my personal opinion, this has been one of the weaker DC animated films to come out recently. Wonder Woman was okay and Green Lantern: FF was a bit disappointing but I still enjoyed them both more than this.

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwh

I will say, though, I got a real kick out of the 4th wall breaking Magpie conversation.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Darkchild

What Comes on just the DVD?

Sleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sleuth

Man, I can't wait till Tuesday for this!!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Media_Master

Good news

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By SilverZeo

Is the Superman/Batman family team-up omitted?

paffa34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By paffa34

Really felt like a long JLU episode, I enjoyed JLU, and yes Kevin Conroy is awesome for being our generations good Batman, but put that to the side and what else is left of the movie?  Is anyone else kind of bothered with the animation?  I'm not expecting Richard Williams art direction, but couldn't they have done a little more add a few extra frames per second some more texture overlays on walls?(idunno...)  But hey there STILL isn't enough animation out there, I want to see more and more and will support whatever comes out, please give us more DC =]

Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Harlekin

Hopefully better than Green Lantern: First Flight

To me it goes
    1. Wonder Woman
    2. Batman: Gotham Knight
    3. Green Lantern: First Flight
    4. Justice League: The New Frontier
    5. Superman: Doomsday

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TazzMission
    @Emerald Warrior said:
    "IMHO this is without a doubt THE BEST DCU animated movie EVER! Like said in the article, watching batman's traits shown off in the movie is part of what makes this flick priceless... how he's "always right" about his hunches, how he's savvy clashes with superman's naiveness due to him always expecting the best in people, and the awesomeness of watching him throw batarangs, explosives and an entire arsenal, as well as fighting techniques to take out heroes and villains alike!

again this is a must have for any superman/batman fan...and to me, the plot in this movie was far better than the poorly written Loeb/Mcguiness six issue arc! GET THIS MOVIE...,IT'S JUST TOO DAMN AWESOME!!! "

yea im buying it and im buying gl ff since i saw gl online
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwh
    @paffa34 said:
    " Really felt like a long JLU episode, I enjoyed JLU, and yes Kevin Conroy is awesome for being our generations good Batman, but put that to the side and what else is left of the movie?  Is anyone else kind of bothered with the animation?  I'm not expecting Richard Williams art direction, but couldn't they have done a little more add a few extra frames per second some more texture overlays on walls?(idunno...)  But hey there STILL isn't enough animation out there, I want to see more and more and will support whatever comes out, please give us more DC =] "
    JLU seemed a bit more fluent and that was a TV show. The benefits of the simplistic art style is action scenes look about a million times better because they're animated well. But they are getting these things out at a pretty regular pace, and I think that's the game they're playing. Quantity.
    LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LP

EPIC WIN!

Isaiah Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Isaiah Bradley
    @Gambler said:

" Conroy is the greatest Batman ever. "

EVER!
    and I just watched the movie its great!
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Well, Shiva got jobbed, again -_- but at least she was in it. I liked this movie but I'd be lying if I didn't say i was a little disappointed. The Superman/Batman rocket at the end was so damn corny.......they Jumped the Shark with that sh!t.

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The Hottness

Got it son  
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By danhimself
    @ryanwh said:
    "I will say, though, I got a real kick out of the 4th wall breaking Magpie conversation. "

what did they say that broke the 4th wall?
    Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not care for it. I'll watch it again but I still didn't care for it......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.