Superman/Batman Dilemma

#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
I never been a big fan at all of Batman and tend to enjoy seeing characters in their solo series but I've been looking for a new Superman (one of my more preferred characters) title to get into ever since Grounded has left me rather disappointed. I'm about to finish about War of Supermen but after that i was thinking about starting up the Superman/Batman series. Does anyone have any opinions about this series? Is it really worth it? I've picked up way too many fail title lately and this is a recession. 

hehe thanks all. =)
#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

/bump

#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz: Well...Try Search for Kryptonite.
#4 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @Kallarkz: Well...Try Search for Kryptonite. "
mmm will look for. Seems interesting. Thank you sir
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz: No probl! Anything else?
#6 Edited by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

As a superman fan you might find this entertaining (a favorite of mine and Superman is my favorite hero):

Supreme Power

#7 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Also - with Superman/Batman just start with volume 1 of the trades .... I like them.

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod said:
" As a superman fan you might find this entertaining (a favorite of mine and Superman is my favorite hero):

Supreme Power "
Nice comic book seller sold me that series last week for $15. Just finished it and WOW. It was nice. I began reading it just thinking this was a Superman clone and im reading about how his life would have been if he had been grabbed by the government. At the end of the series he has created a whole new unique character for me. Bad @ss thing he did at the end of the series.
#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Avoid Superman/Batman, speaking as an avid fan of both characters, it sucks monumentally. It's basically out of continuity and even then it's like chewing broken glass. 

You're better off reading some older Superman stories in trade form until Grounded ends.

#10 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really sure about this current arc, but the stuff before it was good, that reintroduction of Kara was the worst part of the series in my opinion.

#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Avoid Superman/Batman, speaking as an avid fan of both characters, it sucks monumentally. It's basically out of continuity and even then it's like chewing broken glass.   You're better off reading some older Superman stories in trade form until Grounded ends. "
Yea thats what I'm thinking.... I think i left off on Superman 215 or something like that i just might collect a bit of those while i gather my other favorite titles.  

Thanks man
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz: You're quite welcome. 

If you haven't read them, I recommend;
Death of Superman
Reign of the Superman
Doomsday/Superman Omnibus (some good stories, DD is way overpowered in Hunter/Prey, but it's still worth a read and for what you get, the trade is dirt cheap).
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio

DO NOT READ SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW. 

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" DO NOT READ SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW.  "
This. So much this. The amount of "this" is enough to tilt the axis of the Earth.
#15 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" DO NOT READ SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW.  "
This. So much this. The amount of "this" is enough to tilt the axis of the Earth. "
I think we're agreed on our mutual hatred. Jim Lee's art is gorgeous and I am first and foremost about the art. But this was just...it was not good. 
#16 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
"DO NOT READ SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW.  "

C'mon it had an awesome superman and zod battle,plus since the guy in the OP does'nt like bat's then he would enjoy a particular moment there. 
and NO superman/batman.it just sucks.
#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
C'mon it had an awesome superman and zod battle,plus since the guy in the OP does'nt like bat's then he would enjoy a particular moment there. and NO superman/batman.it just sucks. "
I'd never read much of Superman before I read it (if anything) and I found it horribly confusing. I'm still not entirely sure what (if any) of it is canon. It's really bad and convoluted (whether you know the continuity or not).  

Superman/Batman: Supergirl was good. I can't speak for any of the other arcs, though.
#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
C'mon it had an awesome superman and zod battle,plus since the guy in the OP does'nt like bat's then he would enjoy a particular moment there. and NO superman/batman.it just sucks. "
I'd never read much of Superman before I read it (if anything) and I found it horribly confusing. I'm still not entirely sure what (if any) of it is canon. It's really bad and convoluted (whether you know the continuity or not).   Superman/Batman: Supergirl was good. I can't speak for any of the other arcs, though. "

Supergirl was in my opinion actually the worst,but you're right about for tomorrow i think it was retconned away after IC.
#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
I'd never read much of Superman before I read it (if anything) and I found it horribly confusing. I'm still not entirely sure what (if any) of it is canon. It's really bad and convoluted (whether you know the continuity or not).   Superman/Batman: Supergirl was good. I can't speak for any of the other arcs, though. "
Supergirl was in my opinion actually the worst,but you're right about for tomorrow i think it was retconned away after IC. "
I'm a Kara fangirl so it holds a special place in my heart for bringing her back.  

That wouldn't be surprising.
#20 Posted by VillainousV (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

DILEMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: I hated Supergirl too! (High five). The movie was even worse if that's possible.
#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis: I hated Supergirl too! (High five). The movie was even worse if that's possible. "

How and why did loeb's atrocities managed to become animated films still baffles me,DC clearly thinks fans are stupid.
#23 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis: I hated Supergirl too! (High five). The movie was even worse if that's possible. "
Stop hating on Kara! Takes hate on that story as hate for Kara. 
#24 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
Stop hating on Kara! Takes hate on that story as hate for Kara.  "

Kara's sin was that she was re-created by loeb.
#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
How and why did loeb's atrocities managed to become animated films still baffles me,DC clearly thinks fans are stupid. "
Public Enemies was better than the book (not hard though, since the book sucks), but Apocalypse was just an abomination. 

@The Dark Huntress:
I actually really like Kara, just not her origin :)
#26 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
Stop hating on Kara! Takes hate on that story as hate for Kara.  "
Kara's sin was that she was re-created by loeb. "
Thank goodness she hasn't been handled by Loeb in her own series, though. I think it would break my heart if he were writing all her appearances. 

@FadeToBlackBolt: Fair 'nuff. 
#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
How and why did loeb's atrocities managed to become animated films still baffles me,DC clearly thinks fans are stupid. "
Public Enemies was better than the book (not hard though, since the book sucks), but Apocalypse was just an abomination. 

@The Dark Huntress: I actually really like Kara, just not her origin :) "

Funnily i once went to a darkseid respect thread and it's creator asked the visitors to kneel and pray for loeb's death.
#28 Edited by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

if you dont like bats then i say you steer away from a tittle that will feature him alot in every issue

#29 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

Funnily i once went to a darkseid respect thread and it's creator asked the visitors to kneel and pray for loeb's death. "
Now THAT is a true Darkseid fan. Nods in approval.
#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

Funnily i once went to a darkseid respect thread and it's creator asked the visitors to kneel and pray for loeb's death. "
Now THAT is a true Darkseid fan. Nods in approval. "

High Five.
#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: ^___^
#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

Now THAT is a true Darkseid fan. Nods in approval. "
High Five. "
Heck yeah. I don't know what Loeb has against Uxas, but every time he appears, he jobs ridiculously.
#33 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: The fact that Superman can fight him on even footing....
#34 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: (Facepalm)
Have you read DD: Hunter/Prey? Superman makes Darkseid look like Bane in terms of strength. It was ridiculous.
#35 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Nope. And now I will be staying away from it. 
#36 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Wise move. Doomsday was used in some fun stories, but Hunter/Prey was just insulting. He knocks Darkseid out completely inside of a few pages, then Superman has a smackdown, drag out brawl with Doomsday that lasts for much longer. Ergo; Supes is far more powerful than Darkseid in Jurgens' dodgy eyes. (Shakes head). Such a fail.
#37 Edited by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @The Dark Huntress: Wise move. Doomsday was used in some fun stories, but Hunter/Prey was just insulting. He knocks Darkseid out completely inside of a few pages, then Superman has a smackdown, drag out brawl with Doomsday that lasts for much longer. Ergo; Supes is far more powerful than Darkseid in Jurgens' dodgy eyes. (Shakes head). Such a fail. "

Hunter/prey was really good,the only problem was the dumb crap that's doomsday,had it just been a oneshot about darkseid and cyborg superman it would have rocked. 
and as for loeb it's not just darkseid,he had cheetah job repeatedly to ordinary folks in his catwoman mini,lady shiva got dropped by bruce and much more,he is simply a mediocre superhero writer.not all writers can  write superheroes,loeb might actually be good when it comes to more realistic stuff

#38 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
Reviving to see what the general pop thinks about this series. Local comic shops are selling the first 5 issues for $12. 

I hope this series will be worth it because it seems to be costly to get into.

#39 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
It's basically out of continuity and even then it's like chewing broken glass.
That is massive exageration, for starters, those stories ARE in continuity, how else would have Supergirl gotten in Post-COIE continuity ?

It's certainly not the best title, but stories like "Search For Kryptonite", "Torment" and "Enemies Among Us" are exceptional, and very underrated.
#40 Posted by consolemaster001 (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

@digimod said:

Also - with Superman/Batman just start with volume 1 of the trades .... I like them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.