Superman/Batman: Apocalypse DVD Cover Art

• 84 results
Posted by G-Man (18921 posts) - - Show Bio

At the beginning of the month we talked about the next DC Universe Original Animated movie coming out. Superman Homepage has come across the DVD cover art for this (and I know ironshadow has posted this in the forums but let's get this on the news page to make sure everyone sees it).

I know a lot of people will voice their concern over yet another original movie featuring Superman and Batman. As we've discussed before, Warner Bros. has to make what will sell. They are not just making this for us comic book readers. We had great movies like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern but I honestly feel that because many people most likely viewed a bootleg version rather than actually buy it, those were seen as not as successful. 

Despite being another Superman and Batman movie, I'm actually excited about this. As we can see from the cover, this is the story introducing and dealing with Supergirl. I really enjoyed the early issues of Superman/Batman. When the series started telling out of continuity stories, I started losing interest. I think this could make an interesting adaption. Looks like this will be released on September 28, 2010. What are your thoughts?
#1 Posted by The Average Bear (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
Excitement level: overload
#2 Posted by shawn87 (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

nice looking dvd cover....i'll check it out

#3 Edited by Ryonslaught (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet! Kara! and the interesting Kara too! Not the boring female superman who runs around nowadays, color me all 34 flavors of excited!  x0 

#4 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a Green Arrow short? Cool!

#5 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Michael Ironside comes back to voice Darkseid.
#6 Posted by davidkenneth (434 posts) - - Show Bio

God I can't wait for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#7 Posted by jaymastergwapo (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl looks like it was drawn by Mike Choi and Superman by Sana Takeda.. Batman, by JG Jones?

#8 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

You have no idea how excited I am about this. I own the first movie and read the book too. I read the second book and even memorized the Kryptonian alphabet because of it. (I forgot most of it now). I knew if they wanted it to really be good, they would do the sequel which has Supergirl and Darkseid. And on top of that, Green Arrow's short is in this one too. AWESOME!!!

#9 Edited by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like Clayton Crain's work on the cover. Am I right?

#10 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if this will be in the style of  Michael Turner, like how Public Enemies was in the style of Ed McGunness, if so it would be a nice tribute to his memory.
While I didn't read it, I think I remember hearing some complaints about Batman fighting Darksied and not getting splattered by him.

#11 Posted by logan48227 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be going in the DVD collection.

#12 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll take whatever Animated flicks they can dish out, they can keep all the live action flicks I don't think I'll ever like any of those.

#13 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait! loved the first one. 

#14 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

nice!

#15 Posted by Noctis (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!

#16 Posted by ateygheyev (92 posts) - - Show Bio

me likey

#17 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I CANT WAIT FOR THAT GREEN ARROW SHORT.....
the movie looks bad to me.

#18 Edited by courtney12490 (3418 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more interested in Supergirl than in any other character. The cover also has Darkseid, which makes me think that this could be an adaptation of the Superman/Batman: Supergirl (issues 8-13) story arc, which is where the current incarnation of Supergirl was introduced.

#19 Posted by The Jeff (290 posts) - - Show Bio

i really wish that this site would stop blaming the failure of Wonder Woman and Green Lantern ( i bought the Blu ray) on bootlegging. Some parents buy these for their kids. most either don't know who Green Lantern is, or think Wonder Woman is for girls. It's all about name recognition here. You said it in your article, not only comic fans buy these things.

#20 Edited by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... It REALLY bugs me that we're gettin more Supes + Bats, but...wAAAAit a minute... is this the story arc "The Supergirl from Krypton" made into movie... HOLY CRAP! 

OK, nevermind. I WANT THIS NOW!  
Oh, and I hope Wonder woman, Barda, Mr miracle and DOOMSDAY is in this too!!! 

@Joe Venom said:

" I'll take whatever Animated flicks they can dish out, they can keep all the live action flicks I don't think I'll ever like any of those. "

My friend, I am with you all the way. Live action just doesn't cut it!
#21 Posted by Undeadpool (206 posts) - - Show Bio
@jaymastergwapo said:
" Supergirl looks like it was drawn by Mike Choi and Superman by Sana Takeda.. Batman, by JG Jones? "
Clayton Crain. 
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies was basically just the exact comic book brought to DVD, I don't really see how that's not "for the fans."
Staff
#22 Posted by kristop (20 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: green arrow year one would make an awesome movie.  
#23 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

Something about this seems fake to me. If this was for their next animated movie, why would they use clip art from comics? You'd think you'd use something more along the lines of the kind of animation that is used in the movie.

It's not like that art on the cover will be used as the animation style for the actual movie. This seems really misleading. Every other previous WB animated movie has used the art style from the movie on the box art.

When I look at this cover. I don't think animated movie. I think encyclopedia or trade paperback.

#24 Posted by ComicMan24 (147056 posts) - - Show Bio

The Supergirl story-arc was one of the first comics I bought so I hope it's good.
#25 Edited by longbowhunter (7751 posts) - - Show Bio
@kristop:
Thats what I've been hoping for. Maybe if the Green Arrow short does well we will get a Green Arrow: Year One feature length. 

This looks great though. I actually just finished rewatching Superman/Batman: Public Enemies like 10 minutes ago. All the DC animated features have been good. No doubt I'll buy this.
#26 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

This is some awesome!

#27 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

MIND=BLOWN! I read the Loeb's series and enjoyed so I can't wait to see Batman tear into some Darkseid with that armor. Cross fingers that scene is in there.
#28 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh!
That's gonna RAWK HARD!

#29 Posted by Stormultt (5227 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel who?
#30 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1184 posts) - - Show Bio

iam so getting this Kara is my fave female hero along with Power Girl and Wonder Woman. i hope they get Laura Vandervoort from smallville to voice Kara or Nicholle Tom from Justice League unlimited.
#31 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Hells yes!

#32 Posted by greenenvy (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited more about the green arrow short more than ever. The cover is tight by the way too. 

#33 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool as! and the green arrow short should be good.
#34 Posted by BKole (506 posts) - - Show Bio
@jaymastergwapo: It looks to me like it's all Clayton Crain artwork.
#35 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole said:
" @jaymastergwapo: It looks to me like it's all Clayton Crain artwork. "
That's what is bugging me about this image. If this was a cover for an animated movie. Why is all the art clips from comics? In the past, the covers for the cartoon movies has always been in the style of the animation.
#36 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (332 posts) - - Show Bio

They should make Search for K next 
Its my favorite Superman/Batman story arc  

#37 Posted by mistrx75 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks fantastic.  I can't wait.

#38 Posted by Big (297 posts) - - Show Bio

More, More!
#40 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a great story, it has everything and the kitchen sink! However, I can't help feeling that as a Supergirl fan I'm going to be left disappointed. She isn't even recognisable on the cover, is the combined merchandising power of Superman and Batman not enough to withstand a heroic female next to them? She's like that for 1/6 of the story for crying out loud. I was OK about the whole 'female superheroes don't sell enough for us' thing, its stupid but I wasn't particularly angry, but the exercising of prominent women from stories is crossing a line. The cover makes up compare  the heroic Superman to the evil Supergirl, when she's a good guy. 

#41 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: Josh Middleton did the cover for Crisis on Two Worlds and he wasn't in on the animation.
#42 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio
@04nbod said:
" @FoxxFireArt: Josh Middleton did the cover for Crisis on Two Worlds and he wasn't in on the animation. "
Still, "The Crisis on Two Earths" cover looked like the the animation that was in the movie if just a bit sharper. Nothing about these images looks like animation.
#43 Posted by bombchellerocks (28 posts) - - Show Bio

DVD Cover looks rad. Can't wait to see!

#44 Posted by TheGhostofGarethGraves (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pumped because I really enjoyed the story. I'm with you guys, I'll take any and all animated DC flicks. They can do what they want (though they rarely do the best they can) and the feeling that WW and GL are failures just shows how dumb the studio is.
#45 Posted by JDevil (55 posts) - - Show Bio

This cover is awesome, I'm so gonna check out the DVD aswell.

#46 Edited by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great I thought that Supergirl story was amazing and hopefully Wonder Woman will show up in it just like the comic I know that's not the same as starring in a movie but hopefully she will be in it and get some attention.  

It would be cool if Kevin Conroy and Tim Daily came back as Batman and Superman and Michael Ironside as Darkseid even if Wonder Woman is in it then Susan Eisenberg. But they don't need Nicholle Tom as Supergirl they should recast her, her voice wasn't the best in Superman the Animated Series or Justice League Unlimited.

And seeing how the Green Arrow short written by Greg Weisman looks is just as exciting as the cover of the DVD itself. 

@FoxxFireArt:
@FoxxFireArt said:

" Something about this seems fake to me. If this was for their next animated movie, why would they use clip art from comics? You'd think you'd use something more along the lines of the kind of animation that is used in the movie.

It's not like that art on the cover will be used as the animation style for the actual movie. This seems really misleading. Every other previous WB animated movie has used the art style from the movie on the box art.  When I look at this cover. I don't think animated movie. I think encyclopedia or trade paperback. "

That's official art work have you seen the cover to Under The Red Hood? It looks nothing like the animation in the film itself so the DVD's can have different art. 

#47 Posted by Sixth (188 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Quest (107 posts) - - Show Bio

lokks cool  i will just get on netflix really want a full animated movie for green arrow
#49 Posted by Robrat93 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't seen the first Superman/Batman movie but am going to as soon as i find it in UK and then get ready for this one, from the cover art it looks pretty interesting and a good watch.

#50 Posted by Roninidas (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been buying all f them.  I really like DCs Animated Movies compared to Marvel.  I am a Marvel Guy so saying that really hurts me, lol! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.