Follow

Superman/Batman

Team » Superman/Batman appears in 1080 issues.

Superman and Batman, the two most recognizable characters in comic books, frequently team up to tackle threats that neither of them can handle on their own, each bringing their own special talents to the fore.

Superman& Batman: Apocalypse thoughts (SPOILERS)

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By The Average Bear
    I've returned, but for a brief moment. I'd like to take this time to give my thought on DC's most recent animated feature. 

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    First off: Darkseid 

Darkseid seemed...weak. He was humiliated by Kara in the end. I know batman said Kara had the potential to be more powerful than Superman, as her body metabolized the suns radiation at a more efficient pace, but still. Physically, he was very strong, going so far as to nearly punch Superman out of orbit. But fighting-wise, he wasn't what I had hope him to be.  

Andre Braugher doesn't have the right voice. The whole time I was waching the movie, I kept thinking "Is Snowflake (glory) really speaking the almighty Darkseid?". I think I would only be content if Micheal Ironside had reprised his role as Darkseid. His voice really fits the character, in my opinion 

Second: The last fight 

The last fight was amazing. Spectacular. Very well done. But it made it seem like this movie was more of a Supergirl movie than anything else. With that said, however, I think it was good that they through a little difference in the mix. If Superman was the only one who fought Darkseid, it would've seemed like a repeat of the Justice League Unlimited finale. 

Third: I wish they had Superman throw Darkseid into the Source Wall...that would've been great. 

My final rating: 4 out of 5. I thought this was very well donee, aside from the issues stated above. And I really like DC's art as of now when it comes to animated films. It almost looks as though it has Asian elements to it. Beautiful, IMHO. 

See you all later on.  

AB
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc

Maybe it's just me, but the spoiler warning isn't working..

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Sexy Merc said:
    " Maybe it's just me, but the spoiler warning isn't working.. "
    No, you're right. It's not.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

that movie was epic 

even the shopping scene was funny
    FinalStar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FinalStar86

DC makes another great film,
    Marvel...not so much...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

I posted this in the Kara clip thread earlier but I'll post here to

just finished watching the movie and I have 2 minor complaints 

1.  In the beginning where Batman is in the Gotham Harbor collecting kryptonite fragments...in the book he and Superman are having a conversation over their com units and it really helps to show off what kind of friendship Bruce and Clark have...that's not present in the movie...instead we get complete silence....it would have helped the movie so much if they would have included their conversation

2. at the end of the story when Superman introduce Kara as Supergirl...in the comics he introduced her to a huge grouping of DC's heroes including the JLA, JSA, and the Teen Titans...it gave the moment a much more epic feeling...in the movie he introduces her to a group of random Amazons and I just kind of thought "who cares?" she's not going to be working with the Amazons as Supergirl...shouldn't he have introduced her to the people that she would be working with?  

other than those 2 small complaints...it was a pretty good movie...not as good as Wonder Woman or Green Lantern...but still a pretty good film 

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @danhimself:
    i agree with both points
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Static Shock

The movie was nice. Not as good as Crisis on Two Earths, though.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silver2467
    @Static Shock: Crisis on Two Earths was awesome. One of the best animated superhero movies I ever saw. 

Did the Apocalypse movie have the PIS that the comic story arc did? Because that has been my main concern with it. I want to see it, but I really do not want it to end up like Public Enemies where they keep the PIS moments intact.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Magian
    @Silver2467: What PIS moment?
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silver2467
    @ComicMan24: Darkseid was somewhat of a jobber (or at least, he was less impressive power-wise than he should have been), evil Supergirl defeated the Martian, etc. Things of that nature. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magian
    @Silver2467: I see.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Static Shock said:

Not as good as Crisis on Two Earths, though. "

CO2E was phenomenal. Only Under the Red Hood and MotP are better. Also, I'm a DC fanboy, so you can trust me when I say that hating this movie wasn't something I wanted to do. In fact, I couldn't wait for it to come out.

Anyway;
    Yay! A dedicated place for me to bag the crap out of this film! And just so you know, this film was bad; really bad. 

Complaint #1: Everyone in this film disrespected Superman.  Artemis threatened him, and because he's Superman and a far better man than I, he didn't tear her jaw off. He's freaking Superman; the greatest hero who ever lived. Kara, Diana, Artemis, Bruce, SHUT THE HELL UP. Disrespecting Clark is not on. 
    Complaint #2. Darkseid vs Supergirl. This fight was competitive. Supergirl lasted longer than 15 seconds and withstood blasts from the Omega Beams. I almost vomited at the ridiculousness of this. 
    Complaint #3. Where the hell was Mister Miracle! Honestly, I can understand why the book was all women, Turner was drawing it, but the film could have been changed enough to put Mr Miracle in it. That was lame. He's only had one real DCAU appearance, and this was an easy place to slot him in. 
    Complaint #4. Granny Goodness looked stupid. Her S:tAS look was perfect, and they should have just used that as a model and modded it appropriately. 
    Complaint #5. Batman was way out of character. He was out of character in the book too. Bruce understands the desire to have a family better than anyone, and he would not have condemned Clark for wanting to believe in Kara. 
    Complaint #6. DC Showcase Green Arrow was infinitely better.
    Complaint #7. It went too long, for no reason. That final fight didn't even need to exist as they didn't explain why Darkseid wouldn't go after Kara again like they did in the book. They just implied he was afraid of Superman. DARKSEID AFRAID OF SOMEONE? GO DIE.  

There's a bunch of other reasons that I hated this film too, I'm just too mad to think of them right now.
    Visage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Visage
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I have to agree. I loved the comicbook arc but this movie was just... not my thing. let's leave it to that.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Visage: I didn't love the Comic, but it at least made sense, and I didn't want to set woodland critters on fire after reading* it.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Static Shock
    @Silver2467 said:
    " @Static Shock: Crisis on Two Earths was awesome. One of the best animated superhero movies I ever saw.  Did the Apocalypse movie have the PIS that the comic story arc did? Because that has been my main concern with it. I want to see it, but I really do not want it to end up like Public Enemies where they keep the PIS moments intact. "
    No PIS in this one. I don't even recall PIS being in Public Enemies, either.
    Visage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Visage
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  The Supergirl fight vs Darkseid was ridiculous though. Even Supergirl did better against Darkseid than Superman did... >_>
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Magian

I don't like the changes I see they did.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Visage: I know. I was so ticked off. It's pretty obvious whoever wrote the screenplay has a hard on for Supergirl.
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silver2467
    @Static Shock: In Public Enemies, BatMan and SuperMan fought that army of supervillains, similar to how they did in the comic, and SuperMan fended off and escaped from Captain Atom and Major Force. It was better than how it was in the comic series, but it was still a poor interpretation of power levels. 
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By roadbuster
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

Complaint #1: Everyone in this film disrespected Superman.  
    Complaint #2. Darkseid vs Supergirl. 
    Complaint #3. Where the hell was Mister Miracle!
    Complaint #5. Batman was way out of character. He was out of character in the book too. Bruce understands the desire to have a family better than anyone, and he would not have condemned Clark for wanting to believe in Kara. 
    Complaint #7. It went too long, for no reason. That final fight didn't even need to exist as they didn't explain why Darkseid wouldn't go after Kara again like they did in the book. They just implied he was afraid of Superman. DARKSEID AFRAID OF SOMEONE? GO DIE.    There's a bunch of other reasons that I hated this film too, I'm just too mad to think of them right now. "

Reasonable minds can differ, so here are my reasons...  

1. I address the respect issue here.  The short version is that it's a Superman movie, everyone went on a suicide mission on Superman's behalf, invited his boy-parts on Themyscira, Kryptonians are sought after, and Darkseid paid a personal visit. 
    2. Darkseid was being true to his word by forswearing Kara... he was not "allowed" to kill Kara but could go all out on Superman. 
    3. The film has less than 80 minutes of substance (as complaint 7 addresses) and you answer your own question... given Free's comparative irrelevance to the DCU it makes sense to cut him. 
    5. He didn't condemn, he argued caution and still supported Clark's moves... he didn't go Tower of Babel on Kara/Clark or refuse to go rescue Kara.  You have to remember the context of the story is that Superman is the Last Son of Krypton and a sudden late-coming survivor is rather extraordinary... particularly when you just put an evil President out of power who's machinations include creating clones, sending good guys after you, and hiding giant Kryptonite meteors from the public (so why not send a alleged good guy blood relative supposedly riding on that Kryptonite meteor?).  This is paranoid where's-Robin Batman. 
    7. Darkseid's appearance was clearly not fear... he was smiled when he appeared and why show up personally when you have an entire planet's worth of fury to send at arms length if you just want the thing disposed of without risking what you fear?  It was basically Darkseid feeling so insulted that he wanted to impose that same violation of sanctity upon Superman.  I'm not sure how four knock downs and one KO scored on Kara makes her more impressive... Superman suffered one "battlefield removal" then proceeds to knock Darkseid around.  Kara's fight may have been more choreographed to tie into the Amazonian training shown earlier in the film, but Superman bruises Darkseid, breaks skin, and creates a veritable force of nature (twister) in his fight.  As for length/ending, this was a Superman story... it makes more sense for the arc to close on a Superman battle than a Batman gambit. 

The complaints unaddressed are aesthetic/taste type complaints to which you are entitled but I think some of the justifications for your hate are thin if not certainly arguable.
    budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By budonkadonk

I loved it... especially the battle at the end; just the sheer destruction and brutality of the battle; that's what I want to see in a Superman fight.  Overall, I thought it was fun...  I've been kind of iffy since Crisis on Two Earths (I, unlike the general concensus, was a little disappointed with it) but, Under the Red Hood and Superman/Batman Apocalypse were just phenomenal.   

Looking forward to all-star Superman now.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I loved the movie. Granted certain characters were more powerful or less powerful than their comic counteraprts but thats a minor complaint for me.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Static Shock
    @Silver2467: It was better, but I couldn't complain. The villains I didn't worry to much about. I'm just happy that the Lex's strikeforce (Atom and crew) didn't make it easy for Batman and Superman, unlike the comic and Jeph Loeb's fan service. It was as if Superman didn't have a choice but to escape, since Captain Atom and Major Force had already pummeled on him.
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Silver2467
    @Static Shock: Alright. Appreciate the info. 
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock
    @Silver2467: No problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.