Follow

Superman/Batman

Team » Superman/Batman appears in 1080 issues.

Superman and Batman, the two most recognizable characters in comic books, frequently team up to tackle threats that neither of them can handle on their own, each bringing their own special talents to the fore.

Review: Superman/Batman Apocalypse

• 114 results
    Preacherl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Preacherl2k

I want this Vid! I'll settle for a Supergirl origin story that's good enough for me plus some good Wonder Woman action.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I just hope it's better than Public Enemies 
    I really wasn't into it and I think the writing was really sub-par
    but I'm still excited to see this 
    good or bad, I have to give it a shot
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By difficlus

i want to see it really badly...thanks for the video guys...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

It's better than Public Enemies but not as good as Under the Red Hood

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

I need to buy this movie!

Chicago_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chicago_Bruce

For the most part I enjoyed this movie. Not as great as Public Enemies, but it was fun.

Though while I understand that movies based on comics will never be exact adaptations, changing the ending of the Supergirl story arc (Superman-Batman issues #8-13), specifically #12 and #13 was a real disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing the League join in to fix up Kent Farms after Darkseid and Superman fight it out, plus faking Supergirl's death so that they could ensure that Darkseid would leave her alone. Plus the scene where she addresses the League to state that she hopes to earn their respect and represent the Superman Family well.

All important stuff, in my opinion, that was missing.

As for the scene where Clark takes Kara shopping, to be like an Earth girl - I thought it was funny, rather then insulting. By now, I would hope we (as intelligent human beings) know that there are more to women then shopping and shoes (even if on the surface, some women still perpetuate that image). I thought it was amusing, that Clark (an alien) thinks of this as a suitable activity - because that's what he observes in human girls - he doesn't know better - and therefore Kara doesn't know better.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Theodore

I want to see it!!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463

I hated the movie myself. Found it very uninteresting and I hated the way they drew Superman. Glad to see I'm not alone.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Kevin Conroy should play Batman as much as possible. As far as I'm concerned, he is the voice of Batman.

The only thing I don't like about the art style is that Superman looks as if he's wearing eyeliner and has little pouty lips.

I'm with Norm about the Darkseid. I saw that preview on Comic Vice. His voice just doesn't have that boom to it. He doesn't sound as if he's a villain with a god complex. He sounds too generic villain.

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HarlequinKiss

I was so excited I rushed to Best Buy early in the morning (after failing to find it at other stores that morning) to get it. I was... disappointed. It was an okay movie, a little cliche. As much as the skimpy outfits, smooth animation, and bouncy boobs were enticing, it didn't have much else to offer. I agree about the shopping scene. Too long, pointless, generic view of what a girl is. Some parts were just awkward. Like the relationship between Superman and Supergirl. Considering his obsession for her seems border-line cousin-crush. And they added so many characters within such a short movie, I had no time to emotionally connect to the characters, so the fights never had me on edge or taking sides. I guess I was hoping for something awesome like Under the Red Hood.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By greenenvy

Green arrow is the main reason I want to get it. 

CRACKERMAN92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By CRACKERMAN92

This IS A RENT

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

Eh, I've seen this story before in the comics as well as I think Justice League.  I wish they would do something new to justify the animation budget.

pacewun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pacewun

This was one of my favorite story arcs involving batman and superman.  I pretty much agree with you guys.  The changing of the ending wasnt working for me.  The fight scenes were great.  It was awesome to see fight scenes based on skill and not on abilities.  Wonder Woman was great in this as well.  I did prefer the art style in this movie over public enemies just because i didnt like the steroid look they had. 

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GrimoireMyst

I have the original comic story arc tucked away so I'm still getting this movie to add to my collection with the others I have. I would still like to know how the Blu-ray is better than the DVD considering its 2d animation? Since I haven't picked up a Blu-ray copy of a movie before and was told it only enhances if there are CG or 3D effects within a movie.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By texasdeathmatch

that Darkseid Supergirl fight was awesome.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Average Bear
    I thought the movie was spectacular. Though, I wish Superman participated more in the final fight. All in all, I say this, along with Batman: Under the Red Hood, Mask of the Phantasm, and CO2E are my favorites of the DCAU.
    clumsyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clumsyninja

The movies was okay. I thought Batman got beat by Darkseid wayyy to easy. But I like the fight of Clark/Kara vs Darkseid. 
    Also, it would  be  cool if we get a could off my mind: Can Darkseid kill Superman (he sorta did Bruce). Pretty please, Tony!!!!

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roadbuster

I agree about Darkseid... his words came too fast (originally, I though perhaps it was because his voice wasn't deep enough, but I pulled up some clips on YouTube and found the voice is arguably deeper than the JLU one), his tone was too conversational rather than staid or royal. 

In terms of plotting, the biggest issue is the lack of clear pay off.  If you're going to show Batman being suspicious there needs to be a pay off for that suspicion (as it stands he was neither right nor wrong really).  If you're going to show Kara completely out of control floating around, then there needs to be a pay off showing she mastered her abilities during quarrentine.  If you're going to show her development as a normal girl there needs to be a pay-off where she acts like one later... but the brainwashing eliminates character development.  If they're going to say she's trained with the Amazons, then, again, we need a pay off that harkens back to that- she needs to show more technique, etc. 

Basically, they did their best to adapt the book in moments (some moments done supremely well actually, for example, descending on Barda's surburban home was just a few panels in the comics, here, they do well to establish "Any'Burb USA" and you get the pay-off with the stunned onlookers, the peeking neighbors, and the character moment when Barda loves her boring life, etc.; Batman w/ an axe is like 2 panels... this we get a whole sequence)... but they lost sight of having a bigger picture, theme, or plot to tie it all together.  No on really goes through an arc in this film. 

Part of what made Supergirl (Loeb's version) controversial was she was a bit of a Mary Sue getting the heritage of Superman, the surly attitude of Batman, and the techniques of Wonder Woman... she was Loeb's way of giving the Trinity one combined uber protege.  There are ways to pay tribute to that compelling theme without going as overboard as Loeb or being shallow about it, but the movie missed that opportunity. 

But it didn't even need to be that ambitious... someone needed to complete an arc and it was missing.  It's true Kara finally decided to stop skirting the responsibility her powers gave her and don the S crest... but her transition there doesn't really tie in to the plot sensibly. 

All that said, this is a pretty "high art" critique of a book that was sold on Turner drawing women and Loeb going a bit nuts (the child of the Trinity, an army of Doomsdays, battling Darkseid in space and travelling to the Source Wall?)... it was never really an arc revered for its deep, meaningful, or thoughtful writing... it was all about its cast and violence and the film mostly delievers- lots of fights and they all get their little fighting moments as much as the sub 80 minute length would allow. 

The animation and choreography for the fights is mostly good.  I have some nitpicks about the execution of Superman's superspeed based moves which could've done better with animation techniques lifted from anime, but the actual heart and soul of the original arc- lots of fighting- is here. 

Not all comics draw people in with their writing or depth and animated adaptions will be no expections.  Check it out for the fights but don't expect any meaning.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#20  Edited By cbishop  Online

Norm's really gotta learn to stop talking over people.  I like his perspectives, but I'd like to hear the complete thoughts of the others in the videos too. 

As for the movie, I'm not a big fan of close adaptations.  They either fail miserably or they simply present you with an animated version of something you've already read.  Either way, and adapted story is something I'm never in a big hurry to buy (or rent), because I've already seen it.  I much prefer original movies. 

And Kevin Conroy is the best Bat-voice.  The guy from the crooked-nosed Batman cartoon didn't sound like Bruce or Batman to me (and I couldn't stand the aforementioned crooked nose).  Darkseid sounds too smooth toned.  His tones sound almost seductive in the clip.  He needs to be more of that typical deep voiced badguy voice.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mumbles

Haven't seen a good DC direct movie yet. this one will fellow suit with them. I'm a sucker for watching these movies if they're in the redbox. sigh...

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By WW-Fan

hmm i think Supergirl actully kicked Superman a** in the comic :) and why are you so disepointed about its a Story about Supergirl? it is based on the Superman/batman:supergirl wich was about her lol

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By eldestrisk

The best part of the video was Norm's shirt. =)

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Wow...you guys were harsh. I liked it alot. I know what you mean about things being missing but my biggest complaint was Darksied's voice.
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By shanana

I love this movie

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I will still probably buy it. 

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By carnivalofsins00

hows the Wonder Woman movie? Ive been wanting to buy it but im not so sure.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Gotta say I agree with most of you that this movie was kind of a disappointment. The animation was definitely off I thought, and not even Kevin Conroy's voice can save a poorly animated Batman. The ending was terribly disappointing as well. Worth checking out, but don't expect it to be Under the Red Hood good
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29  Edited By ImperiousRix

If they release the shorts on DVD, I'll get that.  I wanna see that Green Arrow and Jonah Hex shorts, not necessarily this whole movie.

afierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By afierce
    @carnivalofsins00: I actually just watched the Wonder Woman movie last night and absolutely loved it! It was quite violent and mature though, perhaps not for younger kids.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#31  Edited By thatlad

Superman's got eyeliner like Jack Sparrow and Darkseid sounds like a go'auld from Stargate

Grouchy224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grouchy224

I, for one, can't wait until they start animating some of the Elseword's titles. Can anyone say Kingdom Come?

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By dr.x

I love Kevin Conroy as the Batman,to my mind that is how he should sound .
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IcePrince_X

bought the dvd... love it. 

just don't like the voice of darkseid and some other characters. Kara rocks!

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Dark Walker

I want to see this, even after the so so review here.  It didn't come out in any stores around me...just a butt load of Iron Man II, wtf. 

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The Sadhu

Where can i get a t-shirt like yours Norm?!?! so cool!
    MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrGutts

Can someone please explain the continuity of this movie to me, if any?  Because their doesn't seem to be any from the books, time lines seem to be off.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#38  Edited By thatlad

I like this setting, seems better than where you do the reviews from

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By The Hobgoblin

This was pretty good, but woulda been 100% perfect had they brought back Michael Ironside as Darkseid.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40  Edited By jakob187

I hate to say it, guys, but I couldn't watch this video.  It had some pretty low picture and audio quality in comparison to a lot of other stuff.

grayrick949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By grayrick949

norm said "the wonder woman fights were the best" 

well Duhh they always are

Norm said "Drakside's voice was not a verry comanding" 

yes they did not bring back Michel Ironside  back to voice him i dont know why but ok

Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#42  Edited By Mr_Wayne69
    2 things about the voice acting:

1. It didn't distract at all and it wasn't meant to be a "standalone" because it was the second arc of the series called Superman/Batman.

2. If Kevin Conroy didn't want to do the voice of Batman, when asked, I'm sure he would decline the offer.

Animation:

It was supposed to pay homage to Micheal Turner (may he R.I.P.) not respect the continuity of the animation style. If people buy the movie (especially after seeing the many previews, trailers, commercial and other such advertisement) and complain about the art "not looking like the last one" then that's their fault for spending their money.

There was so much unnecessary (fanboy) nit-picking in this review. It seems like the guy in the middle was so distracted by moot and minor insignificant things that it distracted him from the actual movie (lol). He was complaining about things in the film that were obviously going to be there. I can definitely agree that Darkseids voice was disappointing though. It was far too human (especially compared to the DCAU voice of 

Babs is the only person who seemed to "get" the movie the most (and yes the Green Arrow ending felt rushed).
    Postacrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Postacrat

Good movie but I liked Batman under the red hood better!
    Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By CaptainCockblock

Babs, you don't like Green Arrow? Sacrilege!

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By roadbuster
    @MrGutts said:

" Can someone please explain the continuity of this movie to me, if any?  Because their doesn't seem to be any from the books, time lines seem to be off. "

It follows Public Enemies continuity and barring a few things is actually pretty close to the books.

There seems to be a bit of a "lost decade plus" of Superman stories that all took place during modern post-COIE continuity but before a series of rapid-fire soft reboots and retcons which erased the events and consequences of that era.  So, for example, the Kara in this film is for all intents and purposes is the first and true Supergirl despite 2-5 other Supergirls of varying consequence preceding her in the modern era (you might remember the "Supergirl" during Death of Superman or her red-maned youthful Lex Luthor; or perhaps Cir-El). 

The practice of rectonning modern Superman was never so overt as with Birthright which made it hugely controversial at the time, but since then Superman's history has been repeatedly and aggressively rewritten so many times that most have just come to cope with it.  If you have any specific timeline questions, shoot. 

mighty dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mighty dude

I loved the movie. Didn't love the end. Loved the art!  

4.5 out of 5
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Hell yea, the Asian Invasion continues. Norm!!!!

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrGutts
    @Mainline said:
    " @MrGutts said:
    " Can someone please explain the continuity of this movie to me, if any?  Because their doesn't seem to be any from the books, time lines seem to be off. "

It follows Public Enemies continuity and barring a few things is actually pretty close to the books.

There seems to be a bit of a "lost decade plus" of Superman stories that all took place during modern post-COIE continuity but before a series of rapid-fire soft reboots and retcons which erased the events and consequences of that era.  So, for example, the Kara in this film is for all intents and purposes is the first and true Supergirl despite 2-5 other Supergirls of varying consequence preceding her in the modern era (you might remember the "Supergirl" during Death of Superman or her red-maned youthful Lex Luthor; or perhaps Cir-El). 

The practice of rectonning modern Superman was never so overt as with Birthright which made it hugely controversial at the time, but since then Superman's history has been repeatedly and aggressively rewritten so many times that most have just come to cope with it.  If you have any specific timeline questions, shoot. 

"

Alright, I think I was confused with Big Barda and the Furies. Because I thought that she and Miracle already kicked the crap out of the Furies on Earth when they tried to bring her back to Apok.
    juniorlhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By juniorlhulk

i didn't really like it

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

I remember a scene where Darksied said something to batman like they are similar in some way. I can't remember exactly what that was, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you post it and tell me if that scene was in the movie?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.