Official Details For Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

Posted by G-Man (18920 posts) - - Show Bio
This past weekend the cover art for the upcoming Superman/Batman all-new DC Universe Original movie surfaced. Today Warner Home Video has officially sent over some information on what we can expect.

The movie will be released on September 28, 2010, as a Special Edition Blu-ray, a 2-disc Special Edition DVD as well as a single disc DVD. The movie will also be available OnDemand and for download. 

We also know that there will be a new DC Showcase featuring Green Arrow. We can probably figure out what the story is but the questions most may have how much of Supergirl's story will be adapted and who will be providing the voices?
 == TEASER ==

After a spaceship splashes down in Gotham City Harbor, Batman and Superman encounter a mysterious Kryptonian with powers as great as those of the Man of Steel. The Kryptonian is soon revealed to be Kara, cousin of Superman, who takes her under his wing to educate her about the ways of Earth. However, the villainous Darkseid has other plans. Seeing an opportunity to finally defeat Superman, Darkseid abducts and gains control of Kara, utilizing the powerful Kryptonian to do his bidding. It’s up to Batman and Superman to save Kara, but they’ll have to take the fight to Darkseid within his hostile world – where unknown, deadly threats lurk around every corner, including a brainwashed Kryptonian able to match Superman blow-for-blow.

Sounds like what we all figured from the art. Who's doing the voices? Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy return to their seminal roles as Superman and Batman. They will not be alone. The celebrity-laden guest cast is headed by Andre Braugher (Men of a Certain Age) as Darkseid, Summer Glau (Serenity/Firefly, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) provides the voice of Supergirl and seven-time Emmy Award winner Ed Asner (Up) reprises his Superman: The Animated Series/Justice League role as Granny Goodness.

The feature film has an estimated run time of 75 minutes with the Green Arrow feature at about 10 minutes. There will also be a Sneak Peak at the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie (running ten minutes as well). A featurette on Supergirl: The Last Daughter Of Krypton will give a comprehensive look from her introduction in the classic age of comics to her death in "Crisis On Infinite Earths" as well as her appearance on Smallville and beyond. Bruce Timm will handpick two bonus episodes from the animated series.

The Blu-ray will have more including an all-new featurette on the New Gods, Orion and two additional bonus TV series episodes selected by Bruce Timm.
#1 Posted by SoftCoreDave (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice one, not too long to wait.

#2 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do DC never release their animated movies in the UK 
I always have to watch them online with all the annoying buffering 
Curse u DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Edited by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it sucks that Wonder Woman might not play a part in the film like  she did in comic book series but the casting of Summer Glau as Supergirl is great I was not that attached to Nichol Nichols as Supergirl from Superman and Justice League Unlimited so this is great.  

But anytime I read Darkseid in comics I always hear Michael Ironside as him so recasting him is a little upsetting.

#4 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

Good News

#5 Posted by bobtv (78 posts) - - Show Bio
@IronSpidy-Rooney:  Tell me that here in latin america where we only get the Marvel DVDs/Blurays, but thanks to the wonders of online stores i can have my collection right on time.
#6 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

...Blu-Ray time!
Green Arrow featurette? Yes... there's lots of YES here...

Staff
#7 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I hear you on Michael Ironside, i love that guy, but I also love Andre Braugher. I'm also happy to hear Summer Glau's voicing Supergirl I think she'll do a great job. I was a littler worried about how they'd follow up Under the Red Hood with a Superman/Batman movie, but I'm not worried at all now.
#8 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

Summer Glau as Supergirl? I'm already sold. I liked The Supergirl from Krypton arc in the comics, so I think this should be a good movie.

#9 Posted by ballsnbayonets (42 posts) - - Show Bio

yay summer glau  geeky cheer HUZZAH!

#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#11 Posted by Icemizer (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed Asner as Granny Goodness Yessssss!!! They should cast him to play the role on Smallville, now that would be cant miss tv.

#12 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell that makes you wanna buy the BR for the bonus features.awesome!

#13 Posted by RedHurricane24 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww... I was hoping for Michael Ironside as Darkseid.... :( Now I'm a sad panda. 

But, at least Ed Asner's in it.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Tim Daley and Kevin Conroy are returning as Superman and Batman. Wouldn't have it any other way.  

On a side note, I wonder what Green Arrow's short will be about?

#15 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't have minded seeing this story done like Marvel does with Iron Man.  Animate the art, and only because it's Michael Turners art.  It would have been a nice tribute to him as well.  If they could do Sam Keiths illustrations they could have done Turners.  I hope the animation art doesn't water it down. 
#16 Posted by roxamilli (174 posts) - - Show Bio

another Batman/Superman movie, ok. A batman/superman movie with supergirl, cool. but a Green Arrow feature, awesome!
#17 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

ENOUGH WITH SUPERMAN AND BATMAN ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING ME FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds like it's going to be awesome... I still need to watch the other animated DC films... so I have until Spetember to Catch up!
#19 Posted by G-Man (18920 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" On a side note, I wonder what Green Arrow's short will be about? "
About ten minutes...
#20 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: @Gambit1024 said:

" At least Tim Daley and Kevin Conroy are returning as Superman and Batman. Wouldn't have it any other way.   On a side note, I wonder what Green Arrow's short will be about? "

" In addition to the feature film, the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Special Edition Blu-Ray™ and 2-Disc Special Edition DVD include the third DC Showcase animated short, Green Arrow. Screenwriter Greg Weisman’s story finds Oliver Queen at the Star City International Airport to pick up his girlfriend, only to be forced into action as Green Arrow to protect the 10-year-old Princess of Vlatava from his old nemesis Merlyn the Magnificent and the League of Assassins. The short features the voices of Neal McDonough (Desperate Housewives) and Malcolm McDowell (Entourage). Bruce Timm is executive producer.  "  
#21 Posted by ComicMan24 (147056 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it will as good as the story-arc. It was one of the first ones I ever bought.
#22 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't that Supergirl featurette on the Smallville DVD? It had a really childish narration and a very simplistic overview of the character than seemed to go from the 50's to her death really quickly (via the movie) and even then they didn't say much good about her. It basically rated her as an expendable spare part until they got into the post 2004 stuff and Joe Kelly with Dan Didio stuck up for her. I hope with Timm involved they give us more of a discussion of Superman:TAS and JLU. As well as beefing up how the character developed in the 60's-80's. Talk about her Farrah Fawcett, Olivia 'Lets get physical' Newton John, and Britney phases at least.

#23 Posted by Dracade102 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

This Movie's Getting relessed a Day before the 5th aniversary of the passing of My Uncle... Who's Favorite Villian was Darkseid. D:
#24 Posted by anunsi (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the next movie is about flash or Martian manhunter

#25 Posted by BIZ (1 posts) - - Show Bio

very excited bout Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly returning, KC best animated Batman ever, also feeling everyone on no Ironside as Darkside, intrigued by Summer Glau as Supergirl might have been interesting to see Allison Mack as SG since she did Power Girl in Public Enemies and they are basically the same character but from different Earths, also never realized Ed Asner did Granny Goodness kinda creeped out by that fact right now

#26 Posted by darkking (148 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome i hope supergirl it michael turner's art .
#27 Posted by darkking (148 posts) - - Show Bio

it  needs all the  JLU voice  cast  and needs  to be longer than  67 to 75 mins . oh and dark anime artwork  too .

#28 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed coming back as Granny Goodness has sold me completely on this.  He was so perfect in that part

#29 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping Darksied would be played by the same guy who did his voice in Superman TAS

#30 Posted by R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. (22 posts) - - Show Bio

IT SUX U CANT PUT THE DIGITAL COPY ON AN IPOD FROM ANY DC MOVIE
#31 Edited by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooooo, no Wonder Woman, Barda, Mr Miracle or Doomsday?  
It's great that Kevin and Tim are voicing the world's finest, you gotta love them together. I hope it's good.  

Meantime: RED HOOD, HELL YEAH!
#32 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Kevin Conroy IS THE BATMAN!!!!!!!
#33 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Andre Braugher is a terrible choice should've been Michael Ironside.
#34 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how they'll condense the story for 75 minutes? I hear they're loosing Wonder Woman, which I so happy about. Wonder Woman butting into Superman's business was so out of character, and a stupid idea... but, I mean... Jeff Loeb, so.... 
I also wonder if it will be a somewhat sequel to the first superman/batman movie, since the two stars return. Thank god!  
I'm also assuming that Supergirl brainwashed is going to play a bigger role in this movie seeing as how she's on the cover that way. I'm curious as to how Glau will play that. Evil? 'Cause it seems like she's incapable of that... or at least acting like it. Or will she be a robot, or maybe crazy... like she always is....  
Can't wait to see what Andre Braugher  does with DARKSEID! One of my top 5 favorite villains!

#35 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
WHAT?!? 
NO Michael Ironside? This is an outrage!
#36 Posted by greenenvy (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Like this because I am more excited about  green arrow more and I found out that the next animated feature  is another GREEN LANTERN movie. Thats also another reason since they will be revealing the next film on it. 

#37 Posted by mistrx75 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Certainly looking forward to this!

#38 Posted by tonis (6183 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see more Green Arrow and Supergirl appearances in their animation endeavors. When handled right I love these characters input. Looking forward to the release. 

#39 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing Darkseid is using Anti-Life Equation to control Supergirl's actions.
#40 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator: The comic doesn't say but the red eye is heat vision so I'm betting its the work of Granny.

#41 Posted by Grimoire (566 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aquamariner said:
" Sooooo, no Wonder Woman, Barda, Mr Miracle or Doomsday?  It's great that Kevin and Tim are voicing the world's finest, you gotta love them together. I hope it's good.   Meantime: RED HOOD, HELL YEAH! "
Same thing I was thinking. I loved this story but without the mention of WW, Barda, Mr. Miracle, Doomsday makes me a little worried. lol
#42 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grimoire said:
" @Aquamariner said:
" Sooooo, no Wonder Woman, Barda, Mr Miracle or Doomsday?  It's great that Kevin and Tim are voicing the world's finest, you gotta love them together. I hope it's good.   Meantime: RED HOOD, HELL YEAH! "
Same thing I was thinking. I loved this story but without the mention of WW, Barda, Mr. Miracle, Doomsday makes me a little worried. lol "
I heard Wonder Woman and Big Barda will be in it. Don't know about Mr. Miracle or Doomsday though.
#43 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

No Michea Ironside, but... but he is so awesome when he voices Darkseid.  

#44 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh God no. Not the Loeb Darkseid.

#45 Edited by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just awesome news!   

#46 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen this movie and it was awesome... and by that I mean I was in actual awe of this movie, not the overused version that everyone applies to everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.