Interview: Joshua Williamson Superman/Batman #77

Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently, we had the pleasure of having comics writer Joshua Williamson on our podcast to discuss the release of his upcoming one-shot, Superman/Batman #77. Williamson also agreed to do a brief interview with us to discuss his work on the upcoming issue, and answer some questions about what it was like for him to write Robin and Supergirl. Issue #77 of Superman/Batman hits shelves on October 20th. Something is haunting Supergirl, and she's going to need help from Damian to figure out what's going on! Check out the full transcript below, and be sure to pick up the issue when it hits this fall! 

Comic Vine: Congratulations on getting a chance to write Superman/Batman #77. How
did that first come about? Did DC Comics approach you with the idea?

Joshua Williamson: After doing a bit of work for DC already, assistant editor Rex Ogle suggested me for a filler issue of Superman/Batman. I previously pitched a story and written a few inventory issues starring Bruce and Clark. Eddie Berganza liked one of the stories but felt it would have been better with Damian and Supergirl. After witnessing the aftermath of a brutal murder in Suicide Slum, Supergirl goes to Dick Grayson to help solve the crime but instead finds Damian. Damian, in his normal cocky style, demands that he help her figure it out. Investigating the murders takes them back to Metropolis and around each other’s worlds until they end up dealing with something left over from Blackest Night.

CV: Superman/Batman is not generally about Supergirl and Robin, so how did that
come about? Why these two and what can you tell us about their relationship? How
far does it date back and how did you determine what their interactions would be
like?

JW: To me the Superman/Batman book has never been really just about Clark and Bruce but rather the Superman and Batman families and how they deal with that relationship. It’s been sort of a yearly traditional since the early days of the book to have a spot light issue just featuring the sidekicks, and issue 77 is this years. From the first time they met during Sterling Gates’s Worlds Finest mini series, Supergirl and Damian haven’t liked each other. The first thing I thought of when I was working on the book was “Supergirl and Damian should not get along. At all.” Once the plot was nailed down the dialogue between the two of them came natural to me with the constant back and forth and getting under each other’s skins.
 == TEASER ==
CV: What was it like working with Ale Garza? Were you familiar with his work prior to
working with him?

JW: Ale’s been great. In my opinion it’s his best work yet. I started following Ale back when he did EVO Proto Mecha with Top Cow and he’s been one of my favorites ever since. Ale loves to draw Supergirl and Damian and you can see it in the pages. He put a lot of energy into making this an excellent book. The issue is packed full of action with a gritty and dark feeling across the pages; Ale did an amazing job of pulling it off. I remember when the pages started coming in and how blown away I was. People are going to really like his work in this issue.

CV: Will the story be open ended? Is it self contained within this one issue, or will we be
seeing more of it?

JW: The mystery is self contained to this issue, but there are elements that can continue past this issue. After this issue people read this story they will want to see more Supergirl and Damian team-ups.

CV: What kind of research did you need to do to get a good grasp of these two
characters?

JW: I love that part of my job is reading comics and calling it research. I’ve already been reading Grant Morrison’s Batman run with Damian and Sterling’s Supergirl but the two books I really looked at were the World’s Finest and Batman and Robin. Those had some of the best examples of both character’s personalities, but at the same time I tried to put my own spin on things.

CV: If you could describe Supergirl in three words or less, what would they be?
JW: Nobody’s little princess.

CV: Same question, but for Damian?
JW: An awesome brat.

CV: What is their biggest challenge in this story?
JW: Each other.
#1 Posted by Armani (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody's little princess :)

#2 Edited by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio

How's the current Superman / Batman books doing story-wise nowadays? 

I stopped picking up the book after issue #50-something, noticably after the "Batman gets Superman's power" major storyline (or was it the "Justice League Babies" one, I can't remember which came first) since the stories basically just got ridiculous and was retconned out of the original DC Universe earth anyway.
#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

what is it with Supergirl? I wanna see Conner and Damian team up.

#4 Posted by davidkenneth (434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64:
I want to see Conner and Kara team up.
#5 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Damian dead yet? -__-

#6 Posted by weapon154 (335 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian is starting to evolve and impress some of us... we should give'im a chance.

#7 Posted by Benuben (225 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit:
People in DC are too smart to kill him.
#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13704 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit said:
"Is Damian dead yet? -__- " 
no sorry.... 

@Primmaster64 said:
"what is it with Supergirl? I wanna see Conner and Damian team up. "

lmao  it would be like how it was when Conner found out Spoiler was the new Robin
rxcept......well Conner would probably rip his head off
#9 Posted by thetrixter (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Damien owns. definately one of the better robins
#10 Posted by comicnerdy (250 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" what is it with Supergirl? I wanna see Conner and Damian team up. "
:D
#11 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt: I don't think so...
@comicnerdy:
Its true man. Waanna see Conner team up with Superboy.
#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13704 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt: I don't think so... 

yeah he would be pretty pissed seeing that psychotic little shit wearing his best friends mantle
#13 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the "World's Finest" book. Couldn't they continue the line, under that new name, from there, instead of Superman/Batman?

#14 Posted by CrimsonTempest (305 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give this issue a chance. I don't know about the rest of the guys, but Superman/Batman is one of the books I definitely like to read.

#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

I still wanna see a Conner and Damian team up...or at least Conner and Steph.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.